Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

At 100% pick rate she is probably too good.

It's very easy to place her traps in ways that there's no way to avoid or see well so I'm not sure how to fix her besides changing her crazy SMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just put her gun down to like 30-35 bullets and all will be well IMO. Maybe have her flashbang effect be like Echo's where standing still helps with lowering the duration a bit.

If anything, Echo needs a buff to have his stun effect be like Ela's where there is no way to actually counteract it's effects.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

At 100% pick rate she is probably too good.

She absolutely is too good, and at pretty much everything at that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It'd be funny if her traps made a noise like a smoke detector that needs its batteries changed. But yeah just nerf her crazy good guns.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It'd be funny if her traps made a noise like a smoke detector that needs its batteries changed. But yeah just nerf her crazy good guns.

I would also add some arming timer to her traps, so you can't combo-wombo a shield operator just because you want to.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
ela's traps are even more fun to hide than valk's black eyes :ninja:

there already is a slight timer to them. they could easily extend its delay or whatever but lol her traps aren't that terrible to deal with. the thing about echo's ability is that it stacks and literally echoes itself while i'm pretty sure ela's don't.

they will likely nerf her main weapon for sure. if not mag size then certainly recoil. try it with iron sights before they do this - its one if those guns that benefit from not even using any scopes.

hopefully they don't touch the other stuff because ambush shotgun spec is extremely fun and everything i hoped for from her.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Ubi: Hey in an effort to combat the whole lovely spawn peeking thing we're gonna take out ACOGs on the 3 speed ops.

Players: Sweet!

Ubi: Also we put in a new defender that is Ash with a better gun and traps that make it impossible to really sneak up on them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

IceOrb posted:

Ubi: Hey in an effort to combat the whole lovely spawn peeking thing we're gonna take out ACOGs on the 3 speed ops.

Players: Sweet!

Ubi: Also we put in a new defender that is Ash with a better gun and traps that make it impossible to really sneak up on them.

Hard, pls.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Don't act like you don't know what's coming.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

Disappointment?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ela's mines aren't even that good though. It's all that smg.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hard posted:

Hard confirms Ela buffs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thief posted:

ela's traps are even more fun to hide than valk's black eyes :ninja:

there already is a slight timer to them. they could easily extend its delay or whatever but lol her traps aren't that terrible to deal with. the thing about echo's ability is that it stacks and literally echoes itself while i'm pretty sure ela's don't.

they will likely nerf her main weapon for sure. if not mag size then certainly recoil. try it with iron sights before they do this - its one if those guns that benefit from not even using any scopes.

hopefully they don't touch the other stuff because ambush shotgun spec is extremely fun and everything i hoped for from her.

Unless you have a Thatcher or a Twitch, there is no way to deal with Ela mines above doorways, barring weird cross room through windows IQ shots. Ideally most rounds you'd have one of those anyway, but they're a little too good in that situation.

E: Unrelated

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 28, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This game lost me when no new DLC came out for a while but I'm fully back on board again now, even though most of my experiences have been like this:

https://gfycat.com/GrandRespectfulHyrax

Love the faster matchmaking.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Orv posted:

Unless you have a Thatcher or a Twitch, there is no way to deal with Ela mines above doorways, barring weird cross room through windows IQ shots. Ideally most rounds you'd have one of those anyway, but they're a little too good in that situation.

twitch tazing a properly placed ela mine is extremely optimistic.

and yeah, windows can be a problem but really all you gotta do with doors is tank them while ready to shoot. unlike lesion mines, they don't do damage and automatically wear off almost immediately. i think both mines are in a good place and that if they were to be nerfed it would be best to simply increase their time to activate.

if a team is losing a round because ela waited till the last minute to lockdown the obj then its no different than stepping on gu or getting castled out. we're gonna see a LOT more kapkan kills this way once they remove the laser btw.

overall i like how trap siege has affected time management. this update owns

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I wasn't sure if the drone could reach with the changes they made to it. I'd say activation time would probably be best, so if you know it's there you'd have a split second to step out and shoot it first.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Ela's mines aren't even that good though. It's all that smg.

Both are good. Ela's mines effectively deny Montagne and defuser planting. They're incredibly good on Bomb. She doesn't even have to take a second to trigger them like nitro or Smoke.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there isn't even a deployment delay iirc. i usually like to watch the animation and listen to the foam because it's neat but like lol you can probably just tap the ability button and it will insta-throw!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

She even shouts "quick throw"

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Disappointment?

Savage.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

"We aimed for players earning a box or two in a gaming session, so that you wouldn't walk away from a session empty-handed," principal designer Michael Heiberg tells me. "An earlier version of the game's progression system had per-hero experience levels, with rewards at various hero levels. In testing, though, we saw players picking heroes based on these hero level rewards instead of picking based on what the team needed, or even what they felt like playing. It was a bust, and we knew we needed to disassociate your hero picks from the rewards. Based on that, we shifted to a system with randomized rewards that you could earn by playing as any hero."

loving learn from your betters, Ubisoft.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

loving learn from your betters, Ubisoft.

Ah yes, give us random crates that give five charms 9 times out of 10 and then maybe you get a garbage helmet skin once and a while.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I guess that would be better than getting a garbage weapon skin once every 10-20 games, yeah? But I'm more specifically referring to:
1. Don't tie rewards (like challenges) to hero picks.
2. Don't let players walk away from a session empty-handed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I guess that would be better than getting a garbage weapon skin once every 10-20 games, yeah? But I'm more specifically referring to:
1. Don't tie rewards (like challenges) to hero picks.
2. Don't let players walk away from a session empty-handed.

I'm not necessarily in favor of the first one, but I don't really know a better option given that they have so few challenge categories to begin with. I absolutely don't agree with the second at all. We played the game for two years with nothing but an occasional operator unlocked and that was fine. I get infinitely more enjoyment out of a night of good matches than any skin from a box ever will, no matter how good it is. Two or three games with a new skin on a gun and you stop noticing it, I don't even remember what headgear I'm wearing until the end game if we win.

It's a very "ugh millennials!" kind of thing to say but the whole reward/progression treadmill being the reason to play a game is totally insane to me.

E: Also from a more practical standpoint the game just doesn't have enough content between skins and charms to allow someone to get a box every night with little play.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 29, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think every game company needs to copy Blizzard. I know I'm in the minority but Overwatch's system does nothing for me; there's zero weight tied to any of the unlocks since everyone has an equal chance of getting all of them. Plus I think the challenges + renown + alpha packs probably does enough for not walking away "empty handed" for Siege, if that's even an issue in the first place.

If they're gonna make any adjustments to that kind of thing, I think the big thing everyone would like is to make the normal challenges not completely stupid.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the only thing wrong with the current system is that they should have removed most of the blatantly wacky bullshit from the store and put them as alpha pack only gambles.

this rewards the nerds that bought them because its funny and this is a cartoon videogame but it also helps those that think they're dumb as heck and would rather see people wearing the various camo patterns of which there are now generally enough to be their own thing across the board.

other than that i'm actually very surprised at how well this game handles cyber barbie outfitting, as ridiculous as it can be

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Thief posted:

of which there are now generally enough to be their own thing across the board.

well, mostly. if this is complaining time, I just wanna say it's completely stupid that we've had something like 5 unique headgears for Fuze and Jager each over the past few months while some other ops like Hibana and Mira (both of whom are among the top played in the entire game, right?) still have loving zilch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Koramei posted:

I don't think every game company needs to copy Blizzard. I know I'm in the minority but Overwatch's system does nothing for me; there's zero weight tied to any of the unlocks since everyone has an equal chance of getting all of them. Plus I think the challenges + renown + alpha packs probably does enough for not walking away "empty handed" for Siege, if that's even an issue in the first place.

If they're gonna make any adjustments to that kind of thing, I think the big thing everyone would like is to make the normal challenges not completely stupid.

Blizzard makes games that people enjoy. Learning from them and their success isn't copying them. Being forced to play certain ops for the challenges sucks balls, especially since they require a bunch of actual wins and not just playing, so you can't really gently caress around. I'm actually pretty happy with alpha packs only being on wins and so on (though I'd prefer no alpha packs at all and will forever be salty that they handed out my prestigious Black Ice skin like loving candy) but Siege often does feel like a lot of work for nothing, especially when you play Ranked and get poo poo on. I guess renown fill the latter category, though; no matter what, you're gonna come away with a handful of funbux. Having DLC op challenges is also pretty unfriendly to new players.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

those challenges (charm/trinket or not) are entirely optional

sometimes i even ignore the thunt ones out of laziness

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"Win x rounds as Spetznaz" is a challenge I've never completed. They're just so bad. Glaz is sometimes ok but his gun sucks and his gadget is boring.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Great Beer posted:

"Win x rounds as Spetznaz" is a challenge I've never completed. They're just so bad. Glaz is sometimes ok but his gun sucks and his gadget is boring.

The gently caress you are doing, just pick Fuze.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
when it was like 30 rounds you had to win last christmas or whatever it was pretty stupid, but I don't see the problem with ~10 rounds. it forces* you to try out operators you might otherwise neglect

*also it doesn't actually force you to do anything

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The purpose of recurring challenges is to get you to commit to playing the game regularly for the rewards. If the challenges force you to be good at operators that don't fit your playstyle, they fail at their intended purpose. They make the game less fun and are badly designed.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

at best renown is a reward to customize your dude with cool/funny skins if you spent money on the game

otherwise it is for unlocking new characters because you either don't want to buy a season pass or can't afford one

the grind is not terrible either way unless you went with the starter edition

it's pretty much all setup to monetize this game as much as possible without seeming too "pay-2-win" greedy about it and i think they did a pretty good job with that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah they did. That doesn't make the challenges any less poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Holy poo poo hit registration is so bad. Playing Mira is like playing with foam darts.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I mean that's basically what the vector is like at any range that is not shotgun range basically. Unless you are getting headshots

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, I mean a full half of the bullets that exit my gun literally do not do any damage. The Vector was great when Mira came out. At one point I even got a white X when shooting at Hibana's exposed rear end, like I had hit Blackbeard's shield pre-patch.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hibana exposed rear end would be stuff that would sell if you're looking for extra content for her. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Flipswitch posted:

Hibana exposed rear end would be stuff that would sell if you're looking for extra content for her. :v:

:siren: We got a videogame masturbator here. This guy masturbates to video games. :siren:

• Locked thread