Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FancyMike posted:

#11 Scanners -It's kind of uneven, and Stephen Lack's performance stands out as really bad compared to the rest, but it's got a weird charm to it. The high points are very high. Specifically the scanning of the computer and the entire end confrontation are golden. There's not actually a ton of gore in it, but what's there is very very good. I watched the effects documentary segment and it's nuts to me that the head explosion was done on set with a real shotgun. 4/5

Total: 11
Butterly Murders [4/5], Candyman: Day of the Dead [1/5], The Fog [4/5], Demons [5/5], Demons 2 [4/5], Prom Night [2/5], The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [5/5], In the Mouth of Madness [4/5], Inland Empire [3/5], Vampyr [4/5], Scanners [4/5]
Letterboxd list

Scanners' biggest problem is that it puts the head explosion, which is its best moment without a doubt, about 15-20 minutes into the movie, and nothing else can really touch that bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Scanners' biggest problem is that it puts the head explosion, which is its best moment without a doubt, about 15-20 minutes into the movie, and nothing else can really touch that bar.

Yea when I saw it for the first time I was like "drat, if they put that right up front then I can't wait to see what happens when things escalate", but they never did.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Go to hell both of you scanners is perfect from beginning to end although it can never touch the pants-wetting fear the box art inspired in me every time I encountered it in the local video store from the ages of eight to eleven.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Franchescanado posted:

What I find so interesting about Poltergeist is how it exists in the zeitgeist. People talk about the little girl in front of the TV, "They're he-eeere!", the clown, the pool scene, but most of the references and conversations about it seem to forget how batshit insane that movie gets, which your screenshots show. There is some absolutely terrifying nightmare imagery in that film, like the long-limbed white spectre and the tree, but yeah, let's talk about the spooky girl watching static on the tube.

The movie certainly looks like a Spielberg movie, but the story accelerates and gets weird as hell like a Hooper film.

I don't really want to spark up the debate of "Was it the Hoop or the 'Berg?", and to his dying day Hooper claimed he was the director, but I remember reading a producer saying that Spielberg did most of the directing while Hooper did more of a producer's work, but Hooper got the directors bill because of a director's guild working guidelines that stopped them from working on too many projects in a given timelines, hence why they never admitted the truth after all these years. Dunno if that's the truth, but it made the most sense to me. If I were Hooper, I'd probably stick to the story that said I directed the infamous spooky movie and not the other guy.

ehhh...that's a REALLY hard question to answer, and there never will be one probably. Lots of people just automatically assume it's a Spielberg joint in all but name because of the high budget special effects, and naturally, the predilection of putting kids in mortal danger, which Stevie loves to do. I've heard lots of inside stories about how Spiely interfered with tons of Hoop's decisions, but at the end of the day we don't (usually) say that when other producers do similar things, they actually directed it. It's true that Stephen couldn't direct the film because he was busy in preproduction for directing ET for Amblin at the same time and was under contract, so they got Tobe to do it for them off of the script that SS helped craft, but Hooper still was in the director's chair for like, the filming and stuff. All the interference stories I heard ended up being things like crafting the look of the film. For example, apparently originally the gross steak shot was supposed to be much worse with tons of tumors pulsating off of it and stuff, and the day the SFX people finished the prop and went to show it off, Spielberg was like "that's dumb, change it." without even letting Hooper have an opinion.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think the effects at the end are, at least, extremely close to as awesome as the head explosion.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You forgot to mention the amazing homage in Do The Right Thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-oUPTr9LI

Nice. I totally forgot about that.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

16. Curse of Chucky - This is actually pretty good! I really appreciate that like five movies deep they're still pretty coy about Chucky moving on camera until the point where he decides to break character and start stabbing. It's easy to imagine an alternate world where the series has started to feel bored with itself and everyone's just phoning it in for the paycheck/to keep the rights/whatever, but instead things are still playful and Brad still sounds like he's having a great time. The scene where he first switches to his own voice on camera is absolutely perfect. I kind of want to rewatch the first couple now just to see whether the flashback in this one was new information or not, it's been so long that I don't remember.

If you're in the mood for a Chucky movie you should watch this, it is a Chucky movie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

^There's probably a sampling bias in being a person still interested in Chucky but they get a remarkable amount of tension out of scenes where he's just a doll.

6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) A
This is amazing. It's frantic and shot with lots of zooms and small pans like you're desperately scanning for an exit. So much violence happens offscreen or obscured but never feels missing or toned down. There's a lot of comedy I wasn't expecting and it blends seamlessly with the horror. The terror of the gas station betrayal is followed by a broom beating with some incredible foley work. The goofy family dinner comes with the revelation the desiccated corpse of grandpa isn't a corpse.

The broom attack might be even better than the chair fight from The Man Who Knew Too Much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Jxs_qMXwc&t=166s

7. The Eyes Of My Mother C
More rural cannibal(?) hitchhiker family horror. This is technically great but not really my thing. I'm usually a sucker for mother and child horror, the two reunions are the best scenes, but this is flat. The vignettes and passage of time are effective and there are so many cuts that immediately tell the story you've missed. The long shots of the truck and forest stand out. I was just kind of tired of it by the second half. Digital black & white conversions always look like desaturated modern movies instead of stylized. Make the color choice early and shoot on film. :argh:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

So much violence happens offscreen or obscured but never feels missing or toned down.

It was originally gorier, but Tobe Hooper cut most of the violence to try for a PG rating. It didn't work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always loved that story of Tobe Hooper " Yeah, guys we'll make it PG , hrmm trying to think of a good name Texas Chainsaw Massacre that' it that's my PG horror movie title"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It was originally gorier, but Tobe Hooper cut most of the violence to try for a PG rating. It didn't work.

That's actually not true.

http://lairofhorror.tripod.com/leatherface/cuts1.html

They went into with the intention of making a PG horror film and then through just weird circumstance instead just like made poo poo worse.

Like it's a fairly not gory movie it's just really intense and the implications make it way worse.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 29, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Jarmusch keeps making me want to like him but then I watch his movies and something's just missing. I wanted to like Dead Man so bad, I usually love westerns. Ghost Dog was pretty good I guess.
I liked Ghost Dog quite a bit, though that was a while ago so I'm hazy on the details. I think what this one was missing mostly was some sort of a real conflict. The sister shows up for about 15 minutes to make a mess and then gets kicked out.

I watched Chronicle (2012) yesterday expecting it to be a found footage monster flick but it turned out to be more of a superhero origin story. It was pretty entertaining but I should probably research the movies more carefully.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Had a fun night last night, as I always do when I watch...

Horror thread regulars know this one very well. How this film even ended up being made is a mystery of the universe, I guess Golan & Globus just really had a lot of trust in Tobe Hooper. Another baffling, yet absolutely perfect element of this movie is that they got this crazy motherfucker to star in it:

Railsback is a house of fire, he's goddamn insane in this movie. If this is a Dracula story, he's Renfield, and if you agree to that premise then he's probably the best Renfield ever on film. Lifeforce is a very British movie, and at times feels like it could be a remake of Quatermass and the Pit. But it also has a bigger budget than anything Hammer could have ever produced, and Hooper does not hold back.

I'm actually not going to post many screenshots of the insanity because I think it's better experienced first hand, but if you want some second opinions just go into the horror thread and ask about Lifeforce. If I were taking only 10 films to a desert island, I'd probably want one to fill the "batshit insanity" niche and Lifeforce might just be that movie. Does it always make sense? Hell no, but the ambition and complete disregard for any kind of restraint makes this film endlessly entertaining. Lifeforce simply should not exist, and yet it does.

I will throw in one more screenshot though, because when you watch a movie like ten times you start to notice odd little things. This time for some reason it stood out to me that this "zombie" has really good hair:

Which makes sense, because the zombies in Lifeforce are fairly unique in that they haven't been decomposing for years before we see them. Very offputting to see a desiccated, shambling corpse with a perfect coif of movie star hair.

Completed:The Wicker Man, Deadly Blessing, Night Creatures, Shock Waves, Slugs, Venom, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, The Tingler, The Masque of the Red Death, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Funhouse, Poltergeist

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

:eyepop: holy LOL at that poster, I've never seen that one before.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

:eyepop: holy LOL at that poster, I've never seen that one before.

I've been trying to pick the posters that don't seem to be used as often. I debated about whether this one would be considered NWS or not, but I just went with it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I've been trying to pick the posters that don't seem to be used as often. I debated about whether this one would be considered NWS or not, but I just went with it.

That's what I did for the Staff Picks. There's also some fan-made posters in there that are excellent.

The Lifeforce poster I found is awesome. I thought about using the one in your post, but I was also worried about the nudity.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 29, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the end I just thought the drawing was too unrealistic and not detailed enough for the nudity to matter, but I can take it down if anyone complains.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No cops to call in the horror thread?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

11: Berberian Sound Studio (2012)

Toby Jones plays a sound engineer who travels to Italy to spend 90 minutes being menaced by vegetables and women's screams. I picked this up a few months ago having heard a lot of things about it. None of them were true. It's bad and worse, it's boring.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#12: Gremlins 2: The New Batch

I can see why Joe Dante declined making this movie unless he got total creative control, this movie is loving buckwild. From the opening cartoon with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck fighting over who gets to introduce the movie to the cartoon falling apart to reveal the New York skyline, the movie pretty much tells you from the start that it's going off into strange places. Dante ups the cartoon slapstick which made the first movie fun, and removes half-baked family dynamics that made the first movie falter. In fact, Gremlins 2 shows a certain distaste for the original, with multiple jokes at how mean it is. Oddly enough, even though this movie is funnier and less violent, it's a lot nastier than the first. Lots of axes are ground, especially with 90's TV, consumer culture, and Donald loving Trump himself. In the free-wheeling film, and the literal breakdown thereof, anything can and will happen. Plot threads are dropped as quickly as they're introduced. Short scenes are included just for gags. In all this chaos, it's surprising how well the film is structured, with multiple characters' stories crossing over each other and contributing to the larger narrative, Chekov's gun-style. One last thing, this movie's hilarious. Dante really knew how to shoot a visual gag, the timing and content of the jokes are completely off-the-wall, and are incredibly funny, much moreso than the first. This is easily a case where the sequel's better than the original.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch

*denotes rewatches

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

One of my favorite all-time fourth wall gags comes from Gremlins 2 and it was mind-blowing to me that they made different versions of it appropriate for the theater, home video and even the loving novelization of the film.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I failed at watching stuff all throughout September. However, I should be able to catch up to make 31 by doing the Scream Stream (what day does it start, anyway?)

3. Suspiria

So I was able to see the 4k restoration of this in theaters. Prior to seeing it, I went to a gathering of about 20 people. Having recently broken up with my girlfriend and having 2 tickets to the screening, I figured that I'd be able to convince someone to see the masterpiece of horror cinema with me. Cut to 11:55 PM as I am drunkenly speed-walking to the theater by myself. So yes, for everyone who isn't able to see this in the theater, a ticket to it wound up going to waste. I am sorry.

Sob story aside, the thing that really stood out to me about Suspiria in the theater was the soundtrack. Surround sound in the theater meant that I was constantly hearing voices beside me and behind me, even during what would normally be very mundane scenes. This served to heighten a sense of unease and keep me from ever really being able to relax during the movie. Also, there is a scene where the main character suddenly takes ill after being flashed by a bright light from two other characters. The soundtrack started doing this very unsettling beat, and damned if in my drunken state I began feeling very queasy and off-balance myself. Luckily, like the protagonist, I was able to recover and see the film through. The visuals are, of course, gorgeous. The story is minimal. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. If you watch this movie at home, do so with the best audio setup you can find. This is the first time I've ever seen a movie in a theater by myself, and it was absolutely worth it.

4. Tokyo Videos of Horror Panic Collection

This one I found out about from the horror thread, and it's right up my alley as a found footage fan. One of my favorite parts of this series is the cheesy way in which they rewind and repeat the scares in slow motion so that the viewer can see exactly what was on camera. There's also a lovely moment in which the video pauses to tell you something very disturbing is about to happen, followed by a literal countdown before it starts. It's a very clinical way to approach horror, but it works to draw you in as someone questioning whether the video is real or not. Japanese television tends to be even more un-subtle than American television, and it shows in this movie. For people who like found footage and old tv shows like unsolved mysteries or believe it or not, I would totally recommend this. Plus, there's like 15 of these Amazon Prime.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#13: Apt Pupil

Apt Pupil is my favorite writing of Stephen King's, so I'll get some transition notes out to begin with: the novella is definitely better. The film's a decently-funded studio joint from an up-and-coming director, and thus probably avoided a lot of the story's more transgressive (and more interesting) elements, especially its blending of violence and eroticism in the mind of a boy going through puberty, and it drastically reduces the body count. So with that out of the way, what are we left with? Even though it's a lot less intense than the story, the movie's still a fair bit more disturbing than your standard crime film. It keeps a lot of the same story beats from the book, which play on the give-and-take power dynamics between an American teenager and an escaped Nazi war criminal and still present intense conversations, and even more intense horror scenes. The real underpinning to this movie is the acting of Ian McKellen and Brad Renfro, both of whom are excellent. McKellen plays a hardened war criminal who never forgets how to play to the people around him, but we always see the terror just beneath. Renfro gradually becomes more and more aggressive as the film goes along, and the fascination with Nazis and his attempts to avoid being caught slowly catch up to him. Add to that some gorgeous cinematography and clever editing, and you've got a solid crime/horror movie. Reading the story shows what it truly could have been, but what we have is already great.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil

*denotes rewatches

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

17. Demons 2 - This sure feels like a lot of filler. I think there was a full 20 minutes of screentime between the party being fully converted and them actually busting down the door to get to the rest of the building. I've seen a few people say they like the apartment setting since it lets the movie have a bigger scale than the theater of the original, but I think that was a strict negative since it just means there's lots of time for the movie to be extremely boring. Like, I just spent a full minute watching a kid hide from a demon in an air vent. Nobody gives a gently caress about this kid. There is no tension in this. Bring back cocaine and punks.

It's still got some good bits of course, but if you find yourself thinking "I want to watch a Demons movie" I can't imagine that you'd ever want to go with this instead of the original. All of the good ideas were present in the first one, all of the new ideas drag it down. Of course I say all that and now I want to post like four gifs because even a worse Demons has more cool poo poo to look at than most movies. Bonus shoutout to the dog who I thought was going to be extremely boring but then turned out to actually be kind of a cool design, in addition to having one super goofy early scene dedicated to him.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
it's still september you absolute pack of wankers

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Professor Clumsy posted:

seriously, what a load of loving cunts.

dickheads.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Professor Clumsy posted:

the challenge started Sept. 15 this year since October is busy as hell for a lot of people

e: are you drunk?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the challenge started Sept. 15 this year since October is busy as hell for a lot of people

e: are you drunk?

hello

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

nobody cares about september it can gently caress off

you're lucky we didn't come for august

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

nobody cares about september it can gently caress off

you're lucky we didn't come for august

i celebrathe halloween in april

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
gently caress, I gotta start reporting the movies I've watched.

I know I had said I wanted to do horror movie for the last 31 years, but gently caress it's goddamn hard

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

7. They Look Like People

This was on my Netflix list since last year, I saw someone mention it here so figured I'd get to it. Jesus what a slog.
It might have been okay if they'd cut out everything before the last quarter and done a short film about two guys in a basement, but instead we get what felt like 3 hours of nothing.

But it did remind me of

8. Frailty

Good way to wash that one out of my head, and my partner hasn't seen it. Still really good, though it was a little bitter sweet watching something with Paxton and Boothe in it after this year.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Professor Clumsy posted:

We Americans needed somewhere to channel our sorrow in the aftermath of the 16th anniversary of 9/11 :911:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#14: Wait Until Dark

The 60's and the 40's are the two decades I know the least about horror movies, so I decided to change that with the earliest release of my challenge so far. Even if the opening credits didn't give it away, I could have told it was based on a play. The film only has one or two locations outside of Audrey Hepburn's small apartment, and I was worried early on how much they were going to get out of the space. It turns out, the answer is a lot. The performances are top notch, with the highest honor going to Alan Arkin, who manages to turn in a legitimately scary performance, despite wearing 2 fake mustaches and 2 fake wigs. The story and dialogue are pretty hefty, and I found myself getting lost more than a couple times during the twists and reveals. As it stands now, I liked it, but I have a feeling that if I revisit it some time down the road, I'll absolutely fall in love with it.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil, Wait Until Dark

*denotes rewatches

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 7, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At first I thought House on Sorority Row wa gonna be garbage but this is a real film and honestly pretty great o far.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The 60's and the 40's are the two decades I know the least about horror movies
Some 60s movies for when you get done with the iconic Hitchcock and Castle stuff.

British proto-slasher.

Italian body horror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well since you posted Eyes without a Face I have to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OFpfTd0EIs

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Eyes Without A Face is unbelievably sick, one of my all-time favorites.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#3 - Mars Attacks! (1996, dir. Tim Burton)

I have loved this loving movie ever since I was a kid and caught it on TBS for the first time; as a little guy, it gave me nightmares (what happens to Pierce Brosnan in the movie really hosed me up), but as an adult I'm able to really see how hilarious it truly is. Almost none of the characters are likable people; the film almost seems to be trying to say that we deserve something like this. The alien designs are right on the edge of goofy and creepy, and work perfectly (even if the effects are... very of-their-time in parts; the saucers frankly look like rear end nowadays). The movie keeps up an almost breakneck pace, rarely lingering on the same situation for longer than a couple minutes, which works in its favor; the film might seem a touch overstuffed otherwise.

Honestly, I'm never gonna be able to rag on Tim Burton like others can, because even if his output fell off a cliff in the 2000s, his early work has a certain je ne sais quoi to it that few other directors are able to touch. For a while, he was up there with Raimi and Gordon in being absolutely incredible at marrying the horrifying and the hilarious.

Rating: 4/5

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

18. M - Terrorism has always worked even when it's accidental, memory is frail but serves as the foundation for tremendous confidence, compassion is only for those who resemble us, justice is an incoherent notion, and even if it were possible it would do nothing to heal the wounded. And nobody ever learns anything. Watching this today feels a lot like watching Network, but more so - the movie and the ideas are both older, and I think there's a fair case that we're even farther from dealing with any of them as a society. To the extent that you want to pretend we have a society somewhere to work with.

All that, and the plot is fun too! There are parallel police/underworld meetings and beggar panopticon and the killer's distinctive quirk is that he wanders around whistling fuckin' hall of the mountain king to himself like could you possibly pick something more conspicuous dude? Tons of shots you'll instantly recognize as having been stolen by like twenty other movies you've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I would have waited for tomorrow but all my Wednesday nights are busy and I'm out of the country from the 25th. That left me with 21 days in October to watch 31 movies, and that just ain't happening.

• Locked thread