Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

funmanguy posted:

The hortador thing was cool, i meant running around the red mountain where everything looks the same. The final encounter and fight was awesome, but the age of the game was wearing me down a bit near the end. I enjoyed the game for sure.

You ran around red mountain? I thought everyone just jumped or flew at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
wait, is skywind actually close to being done?

if so, gently caress it, release it now and fix the bugs later. learn the lesson from terraria: mostly complete is good enough and you rob any blackmailer of their only power.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sibling of TB posted:

You ran around red mountain? I thought everyone just jumped or flew at that point.

I wanted to take it all in, my first time through the game and all.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

wait, is skywind actually close to being done?

hahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhaha

no

have this other choice quote

quote:

"20 testers that don't have experience is better than 1 or 2 experienced testers imo". You couldn't be more wrong about that, what do you think we should do just let people have the game so they can post all the videos they want, we've had well enough people join the team just to get access only to have them gently caress off and just play the Alpha. We've no reason to trust people on the internet with our work.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm always confused when any noncommercial software isn't developed fully in public.

Oh wait, this isn't software, it's art and it must be perfect or no one will understand us.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have minus excitement for Skywind. The Skyrim engine is complete wank for anything other than swinging a sword around.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

tbh I thought Skywind was the more feasible project and Beyond Skyrim the less feasible one, but now BS: Bruma is out and Skywind isn't and I don't think I can trust myself anymore

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tiny brain: Skywind
Expanding brain: Beyond Skyrim
Galaxy brain: Skyrim: Home of the Nords

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Next game soon please!!!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doc Hawkins posted:

Tiny brain: Skywind
Expanding brain: Beyond Skyrim
Galaxy brain: Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Cosmic brain: Oblivion

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Next game soon please!!!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gotta be honest; seeing people dissing the large-scale modding project for taking a long time, and for trying to do poo poo right by getting Q&A people on board, is rather funny.

For comparison, Morroblivion wasn't fully playable until around the time Skyrim was released.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The skyrim modding community is big enough that I don't actually doubt that they can find people with QA experience to help them out. Seeking more qualified people isn't too much to ask for, especially if they really are out there and available. A bunch of people who have never properly tested anything before and have no idea what they're doing sounds like it would be a nightmare to manage and doing so would eat away at all of the devs' actual dev time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 23, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Gotta be honest; seeing people dissing the large-scale modding project for taking a long time, and for trying to do poo poo right by getting Q&A people on board, is rather funny.

For comparison, Morroblivion wasn't fully playable until around the time Skyrim was released.

balmora is half finished

it's never coming out

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Skyrim SE getting survival mode.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/09/27/skyrim-special-edition-getting-new-survival-mode.aspx

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whoaaaaa, I am super interested in that. Not sure how I feel about disabled Fast Travel though, but I'm sure there'll be a mod for that day one. Although since none of the game world was designed around having a survival mode, its probably going to suck unless they add some stuff to the world.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Just when I thought I was out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
At last, Skyrim's unmodded gameplay approaches Ultima VI...

(I will totally buy this.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

At last, Skyrim's unmodded gameplay approaches Ultima VI...

(I will totally buy this.)

Okay someone make a mod where you have to type "Vas Por Flam" to chuck a fireball and you need reagents to cast that fireball.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

No regenerating health might finally make alchemy worthwhile outside of abusing the fortify enchanting/smithing potions!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
"Both PC and console players will get Survival Mode free for one week once it launches on their preferred platform."

Sounds like it will be a paid mod.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kedo posted:

No regenerating health might finally make alchemy worthwhile outside of abusing the fortify enchanting/smithing potions!

Not unless restoration shits out in SE. :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They wouldn't include that exploit again, would they?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Article with actual info about the new content:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5lz4Q7F4li6kwKmakkgWww/skyrim-survival-mode-coming-soon?utm_medium=bitly&utm_source=SocialMedia

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'd like to know what "free for one week" really means. If I download it while it's free, will I have to pay a subscription fee to continue using it afterwards?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

I'd like to know what "free for one week" really means. If I download it while it's free, will I have to pay a subscription fee to continue using it afterwards?
It's phrased somewhat weird, but it means its on a -100% sale for that week. It's not a limited trial.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So all of that stuff has been done in mods already, what are the chances of people just making a free mod that does exactly what the paid mod does?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I read about this the other day but just realized it wasn't free like the one in Fallout NV or Fallout 4. Oh my god

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoaaaaa, I am super interested in that. Not sure how I feel about disabled Fast Travel though, but I'm sure there'll be a mod for that day one. Although since none of the game world was designed around having a survival mode, its probably going to suck unless they add some stuff to the world.

Thankfully, Skyrim was built with the expectation some players would want to walk everywhere. So it's not a barren nightmare of boredom like no fast travel Oblivion is.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah no fast travel isn't as big a deal because theres still boats and carriages everywhere, and if you go werewolf/vamp your movement speed is pretty ridiculous on top of it. The carriage drivers you can hire for the Hearthfire homes will also take you to a lot of the smaller villages too.

I will definitely be playing the gently caress out of this, because I was already the guy that has my character follow a reasonable sleep schedule and who prepared various soups ans such even though there's almost no actual benefit to doing so. I don't know if I would've paid for it but if it's free on release then :hellyeah:

Of course there's no way this accounts for every possible quest/etc, so I'm looking forward to dying of frostbite during some unskippable cutscene because I forgot to eat some soup before Sheogorath started talking.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So all of that stuff has been done in mods already, what are the chances of people just making a free mod that does exactly what the paid mod does?

100% since they already exist.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Wolfsheim posted:

Of course there's no way this accounts for every possible quest/etc, so I'm looking forward to dying of frostbite during some unskippable cutscene because I forgot to eat some soup before Sheogorath started talking.
Start a new game, die of exposure on the wagon ride to Helgen

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

With any sort of realism, the intro/tutorial section would become the most hellish gauntlet of death ever mustered together in Elder Scrolls history.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

With any sort of realism, the intro/tutorial section would become the most hellish gauntlet of death ever mustered together in Elder Scrolls history.

I've done it with Frostfall enabled and it's tricky but doable. What's loving impossible is navigating around Winterhold/Windhelm. You touch the water and you're basically dead.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Rookersh posted:

Thankfully, Skyrim was built with the expectation some players would want to walk everywhere.

Was it really? Cause I did that for 200 hours and kind of got the opposite impression. Overall it's obviously not a big deal since I persisted but there are not enough carriages/boats and I felt like much of the geography was actively fighting against me.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

morrowind wins again :smuggo:

seriously though, no-fast-travel skyrim would be a lot more walkable if it had multi mark / recall

I guess that's fast travel but it limits you just enough to be nice

Rhjamiz posted:

I've done it with Frostfall enabled and it's tricky but doable. What's loving impossible is navigating around Winterhold/Windhelm. You touch the water and you're basically dead.

frostfall + alternate start shipwrecked

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Apocalypse apparently has a Mark & Recall spell, though I haven't found it yet. I've been having a lot of fun using the fully buffed form of the Longstride spell which increases your movement speed to such a degree that you can run from Solitude to Winterhold in about five minutes.

Vanilla definitely suffers a bit from repeated trip fatigue after awhile if you don't use fast travel.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kedo posted:

Apocalypse apparently has a Mark & Recall spell, though I haven't found it yet. I've been having a lot of fun using the fully buffed form of the Longstride spell which increases your movement speed to such a degree that you can run from Solitude to Winterhold in about five minutes.

Vanilla definitely suffers a bit from repeated trip fatigue after awhile if you don't use fast travel.

i hosed around with that and found it kinda dumb

youre talking about the one you channel and you just sprint distances right?

may as well just teleport to the cell tbh, it's too much of a good thing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i hosed around with that and found it kinda dumb

youre talking about the one you channel and you just sprint distances right?

may as well just teleport to the cell tbh, it's too much of a good thing

A lot of those spells are dumb but the one that sets up three passive ones in one go is nice so you don't have to keep swapping your drat hotkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Survival mode is Skyrim would be harsh if only because how hard it is to find an outfit with sleeves.