Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

Whaddya mean?

He hated it and interfered with it as much as he could. He's the main reason it took forever for the last arc to come out and why they hired Tom Peyer to do a fill in arc.
Millar low key cited Levitz as the reason he left DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Unless Levitz mandated all the sexual assault I don't think he's my problem with The Authority.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr. Maltose posted:

Unless Levitz mandated all the sexual assault I don't think he's my problem with The Authority.

That's a different DC editor

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed Ellis' Authority at the time (although I don't think it has aged well at all), but Millar's Authority was gross. Between the Captain America analogue raping Apollo and then getting raped to death with a jackhammer by Midnighter, and the evil Doctor traveling back in time to molest the Engineer when she was a little girl, it was peak Millar even before he became a big name. I go out of my way to avoid Millar's work now, after suffering through his Authority and Ultimates.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I mean, if I recall most of the stuff that Millar was denied the right to do in the Authority was stuff like "but why can't I show someone having sex with Jenny Sparks's corpse?" or "What's the big deal if I show Bill Gates getting his dick sucked by a mindwiped sex slave?" or "If someone's going to be putting cigars out on a naked lady's chest, why can't I show George W. Bush watching it? He's not doing it!"

I'm kind of on Levitz (or whoever 'censored' him)'s side. I would have been on the side of "not greenlighting the story pitch at all", mostly.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 18, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

"What's the big deal if I show Bill Gates getting his dick sucked by a mindwiped sex slave?"

The weirdest thing about this was that they referred to an unnamed "software billionaire" multiple times. It was weird. But yes, that stuff is what keeps the run down even when it has a fair share of cool moments. It makes me wanna take scissors to the pages and fix it myself.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

Weird question I wanted to ask before but I don't believe I actually got around to it. What's your (for lack of a better term) favourite storylines that are really good and fun except for one stupid detail or error that ruins everything?

I really like Old Man Logan. It's probably the only work by Millar that I can really say I've liked (off the top of my head at least). It's really fun, except I can never recommend it to anyone because of the end where it's revealed that the Hulk gang are so stupid and hosed up because they're all inbred because Hulk's been loving his cousin She-Hulk (iirc, that was like, presented as a twist, though maybe I'm misremembering). Like, c'mon dude, you can have a bunch of hosed up dumb Hulks and not have to show She-Hulk all messed up in the back of Hulk's gently caress-cave lair when Logan comes for him. But Millar gonna Millar I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mark Millar posted:

"I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like Death of Superman, we had Rape of Wonder Woman; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Millar is such a douchebag.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gee, how could DC pass on that winning formula? :eyeroll:

22 pages of rape. Ending in a two page splash screen. If it were anyone else I could almost see someone trying to pass it off as a really bad joke. But I picture in my mind Millar giving this exact pitch in a boardroom and just excitedly going "Whadda ya think? Great, right? Right!"

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't Identity Crisis literally start with an executive saying "we need a rape!"?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Hmm I don't know...Can we rip her arm off at some point maybe"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I still like Ultimates. :shrug: I stopped giving him money after Nemesis.

My friend has bought his newer series (he cares about the art more than the story and Millar gets good artists). There have been some good, enthusiastic books from him of late! Starlight was a highlight.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
On a related note I found a lot of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century smart and charming but it also frequently crossed a line from Moore using sex and sexual violence to make a point to Moore using sex and sexual violence to make a punchline-- Voldemort raping people at a Woodstock-esque festival in the 60s, nonconsensual sperm-harvesting on the moon, Harry Potter shooting lightning out of his dick, etc..

I've come to sort of accept that for latter-day Moore sex in narrative is mostly allegorical and that the tantric/kabbalic scenes in Promethea are probably more informative as a guide than the didactic sex scenes in Lost Girls but like, it often feels outright irresponsible-- not irresponsible and stupid like Morrison in The Filth, and not irresponsible, stupid, and insufferable like Millar all the time, but still.

Which is doubly frustrating because I feel like in Century Moore did find a great device for exploring how sexuality and sexual transgressiveness mutates in Orlando. But the above jokey stuff about assault and rape didn't feel like bringing his source texts into an adult context-- it felt like punting them down into sophomoric leering and snickering. Which do--er, which triply frustrates me because I think in the 2009 segment in particular the Harry Potter stuff is really relevent as an almost violently centrist heroic myth, and abutting it with his stuff with the war on terror feels like Moore lobbing himself a softball. But he still can't help turning that softball into a rape joke and snickering about children's characters being naughty.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

And I come from his hometown. People LOVE talking to me about poo poo like him selling whatever the gently caress MillarWorld actually is to Netflix because I'm 'the comics guy' and are always puzzled when I groan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

And I come from his hometown. People LOVE talking to me about poo poo like him selling whatever the gently caress MillarWorld actually is to Netflix because I'm 'the comics guy' and are always puzzled when I groan.

Haha, I come from Garth Ennis's home town. :D

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the answers to the initial question involve sexual assault, which leads me to believe the comic book industry and fandom might just have some worrisome issues involving women and sexuality...but that'd be crazy, right?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

TenCentFang posted:

Mark Miller's run on The Authority would be pretty good if not for some particularly grotesque moments of grimdark that makes it legit hard to read. It's always really annoyed me.

This applies to a lot of Mark Millar projects.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This applies to a lot of Mark Millar projects.

That's why Wanted is one of my favorite movies and also one of my least favorite comic books. Although in that case, there was like, 1% of comic material in the movie, so IDK, maybe not a good example.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I just watched Crumb and Comic Book Confidential again for like the tenth time. Are there any really good and comprehensive books about underground comics? Or other documentaries?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

I just watched Crumb and Comic Book Confidential again for like the tenth time. Are there any really good and comprehensive books about underground comics? Or other documentaries?

I haven't read the comics, but the movie version of American Splendor is a really good biography of Harvey Pekar.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read the comics, but the movie version of American Splendor is a really good biography of Harvey Pekar.

Oh yeah I love that movie. That's one of the ones that I badger Criterion about releasing.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you pronounce uru? oo-roo? yor-oo? you-roo? ur-oo?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TenCentFang posted:

How do you pronounce uru? oo-roo? yor-oo? you-roo? ur-oo?

Oo-roo

But I am not a genuine viking or wizard, so I couldn't say for sure. :shrug:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

In my goal to read every X-men comic in publication order I noticed X-men 2099 is 6 issues in. Should I bother?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sinners Sandwich posted:

In my goal to read every X-men comic in publication order I noticed X-men 2099 is 6 issues in. Should I bother?

I brought it up recently saying I remembered it being good(read it years ago and I can barely remember yesterday). At least one other goon said it wasn't bad but not remarkable either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
X-Men 2099 is not a good comic.

At first. About 8-9 issues in it starts to find it's footing. Around #18 I was really enjoying it and by #25 it was easily as good as any other X-Men book at the time. It was second only to Spider-man in the 2099 line. I'd say give it a chance, it may surprise you. But skip X-Nation, they launched that book and abruptly killed it when they scuttled the 2099 line. You won't miss anything.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is their any continuity or foreshadowing in 2099 that effects X-men continuity?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is their any continuity or foreshadowing in 2099 that effects X-men continuity?
Unless it involves Spider-Man 2099 I don't think there's any continuity stuff from 2099 and 616 even though 2099 is supposed to be the future of 616.

Maybe the Exiles visit it?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 24, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Skwirl posted:

Unless it involves Spider-Man 2099 I don't think there's any continuity stuff from 2099 and 616 even though 2099 is supposed to be the future of 616.

Maybe the Exiles visit it?

Exiles visited an alternate 2099 that diverged when Proteus killed Hulk 2099 and revealed Spider-Man 2099's identity to the world.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I've always liked that 2099 is still "canonical" to an extent. You had Spider-Man 2099 coming back here recently and he did some stuff, and in an uncommonly good arc during Bendis' Uncanny X-Men one of the new members got stuck there for a few years where Magik was the Sorcerer Supreme.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
You guys just made me realize why I somehow give a poo poo at all about the TV show Legends of Tomorrow - It's effectively the Exiles for the DC TV Universe, and Exiles was always one of my favorites. It's where you put all the characters who couldn't really fit in the main storylines, but the writers could use almost anyone they wanted. Just grab someone from an alternate timeline that no one will miss. Need a Wolverine? Just grab Albert and Elsie-Dee. One of the other X-men? Pick up Mimic, he's at least 5 other X-men already. Basically as long as they aren't already in use in a main story line they are free game. The old cast off characters never die. The just join the Exiles.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TenCentFang posted:

I've always liked that 2099 is still "canonical" to an extent. You had Spider-Man 2099 coming back here recently and he did some stuff, and in an uncommonly good arc during Bendis' Uncanny X-Men one of the new members got stuck there for a few years where Magik was the Sorcerer Supreme.

One of the best parts of Spider-Verse was Miguel dropping Punisher 2099 on Morlun to buy some time.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Wasn't there some comic that was an alternate version of 2099, that wasn't ACTUALLY the year 2099 but they called it that because their calendars were all fucky, and they had a new guy who got the 2099 suit and it ended with some friend of his becoming the new Scorpion of that era? I remember it being really bad and never followed up on and the 2099 comics and stuff showing up like a few years later or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

Wasn't there some comic that was an alternate version of 2099, that wasn't ACTUALLY the year 2099 but they called it that because their calendars were all fucky, and they had a new guy who got the 2099 suit and it ended with some friend of his becoming the new Scorpion of that era? I remember it being really bad and never followed up on and the 2099 comics and stuff showing up like a few years later or something.

There were and they were terrible!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Kirkman was responsible for those, wasn't he?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

That was his Marvel Team-Up I think

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Unless Kirkman wrote another MTU arc about 2099 I don't know about, League of Losers was about a guy traveling back in time to murder all of the heroes except for a small group of nobodies he either didn't have intel on or weren't important enough to matter. They get pulled into the future before the guy traveled back in the first place, team up with Mutant 2099, defeat the guy before he can steal a time machine, and then realize that they're stuck in 2099. It was... pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It featured Laura Kinney hooking up with Gravity because this was in the brief period where they thought Gravity was going to be a thing.