Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Like, that last episode was at least equal to a good TNG episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The General posted:

"Lets run away!" isn't a very good character trait IMHO, and "I was bred to sense death." is dumb and killed it for me. Sensing the fear of death might be cool, I dunno, but "I sense death" is just dumb.
He's a Puppeteer from the Larry Niven novels. Ringworld, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MA-Horus posted:

I fully admit I haven't seen any episodes of The Orville yet, but just from the clips on youtube it seems like the writers at least understand what they're drawing from Star Trek to make light of.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

MA-Horus posted:

i don't know if i agree with where they went with it, but it clearly "got" what star trek is about. tackling difficult and current social issues in a sci-fi setting is star trek as hell

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whereas std seems to be going for the scary foreigners who speak their scary foreign language, hate the federation for their freedoms, and only respect force. i suspect that next they will go after the federation's women.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Yandat posted:

when does the new one come out on hulu?

probably tomorrow it aired tonight

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
cai winn and gul duknot make a really cute couple :allears:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Facebook Aunt posted:

Who was that even for? The few hundred nerds who've learned klingon?

What is the intersection of people who are into Star Trek enough to learn Klingon and who also enjoy this particular depiction of Klingons that is nothing like the past ones?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

STD has taken a lot of cues from BSG, visuals, music, and the plot setup is really similar. Disaster first episode, out gunned and outnumbered by aliens who we can't communicate with. Rag tag rejects of Starfleet on the run must save the day. :thunk:

I still enjoyed it. And BSG was probably the most influential sci-fi since Star Trek.

Oh well, we will always have re-runs of Voyager and The Orville.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i can't watch voyager knowing that most of the actors hate eachother and the production staff and writers

THS
Sep 15, 2017

suspension of disbelief disappears for me when you understand how bitter everyone is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

And BSG was probably the most influential sci-fi since Star Trek.

If you watch the live-action film of Space Battleship Yamato, you can really see where the writers were cribbing off Battlestar Galactica.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

numberoneposter posted:

Ep3 of The Orville is pretty good. Twist on some old themes. Good poo poo.

Mercer is an odd kind of Captain. He seems to let his crew do most of the work.

Was I the only guy hoping that the twist of the episode was going to be 50% of Moclans are born with the birth defect of being female, and the whole single-gender thing was a lie they told because of their overwhelming cultural veneration of masculinity and hatred of femininity? I was actually surprised when that’s not what happened.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Was I the only guy hoping that the twist of the episode was going to be 50% of Moclans are born with the birth defect of being female, and the whole single-gender thing was a lie they told because of their overwhelming cultural veneration of masculinity and hatred of femininity? I was actually surprised when that’s not what happened.

:same:

I was honestly surprised that something like that wasn't the case.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So anyone here getting CBS On-Demand to watch Star Trek Disc lololol nobody is doing this, nm

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that would have been a dumb twist because there's no way it could be kept under wraps if that were the case if any Moclans went to any non Moclan doctors with any frequency. The fact that female Moclans are actually extremely rare made their recognition both more of a lost cause and more in need of defenders.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think that would have been a dumb twist because there's no way it could be kept under wraps if that were the case if any Moclans went to any non Moclan doctors with any frequency. The fact that female Mocl a ns are actually extremely rare made their recognition both more of a lost cause and more in need of defenders.

Yeah but it’s ostensibly a comedy, absurdity could fit. It would have been more absurd than anything that had happened in the previous episodes, but it’s only episode 3, it’s still getting its space legs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you watch the live-action film of Space Battleship Yamato, you can really see where the writers were cribbing off Battlestar Galactica.

Set designer was definitely taking cues from BSG big-time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

Guys

The Orville is awesome, I'm absolutely shocked at how much I like it

Same. I was expecting "star trek but incompetent" be a funny one off maybe, but not have legs for a series. But honestly, they are making the super-competent, super-rational humans from TNG look fake as hell in retrospect. A 24 year old kid has a senior position due to organizational politics is absurd, but also something you can totally see happening in the real world. It's like "The Office" In Spaaace.

And in retrospect you can almost see The Orville in the TNG universe. The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet, so of course they get the best staff available. The Orville is just another generic mid-size ship in a fleet that has hundreds of them, so they get the scraps.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah, that seemed like the obvious outcome. Especially since it is supposed to be this super rare thing that happens once in 75 years, but the baby, one of her dads, and that random mountain philosopher were all born female.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think that would have been a dumb twist because there's no way it could be kept under wraps if that were the case if any Moclans went to any non Moclan doctors with any frequency. The fact that female Moclans are actually extremely rare made their recognition both more of a lost cause and more in need of defenders.

I wasn't exactly expecting it to be a pure 50/50 split, but I was waiting for it be more common than the once in a generation thing they claimed it to be.

The one gag on the show that's really tickled me though is when the camera gets close to the slime guy you can see random bits of fuzz and debris stuck to him like one of those sticky balls you had as a kid.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Facebook Aunt posted:

And in retrospect you can almost see The Orville in the TNG universe. The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet, so of course they get the best staff available. The Orville is just another generic mid-size ship in a fleet that has hundreds of them, so they get the scraps.

Would love to see an inverted "Lower Decks" showcasing a much more competent crew of the fleet. Just straight up not-TNG.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There are a few ways it could go. It could be at some point in the past they were 50% female. Industrial pollution caused masculinization (the same way our own pollution is turning frogs gay or whatever). Then at some point less than 10% of babies were born female and they just decided that was the birth defect, not the masculinization, because their society and adapted and eroded the traditional female roles.

Or maybe a while back they did genetic engineering on their own species to make everyone a big burly male. It also made males able to produce eggs. Give everyone all the advantages of being a male, plus the one advantage of females, and make the species stronger. The occasional female would be a throwback. Probably more common than once every 75 years, but they just don't talk about that.

If they'd always been 99.99% male it would be weird to consider themselves male at all. They would just be unisexual. The once in 75 years birth defect wouldn't be described as female, it would just be a weird chromosomal abnormality leading to genital deformities.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

new orville is out on Files just fyi

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

He's a Puppeteer from the Larry Niven novels. Ringworld, etc.

I would kill to see a live action adaption of Ringworld. You don't get that much "hard distant future" style science fiction.

numberoneposter posted:

STD has taken a lot of cues from BSG, visuals, music, and the plot setup is really similar. Disaster first episode, out gunned and outnumbered by aliens who we can't communicate with. Rag tag rejects of Starfleet on the run must save the day. :thunk:

I still enjoyed it. And BSG was probably the most influential sci-fi since Star Trek.

Oh well, we will always have re-runs of Voyager and The Orville.

I loved BSG (despite its awful glaring flaws) but I hope they don't follow BSG with the complete lack of levity in any of their storylines. One of the reasons I cant rewatch BSG is that it just is so grimdark allll the way through.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mister Facetious posted:

TAURIK: Considering the history of your planet, that doesn't exactly validate what he's doing.

Vulcan :iceburn:

Noob Noob: "GOD drat!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Set designer was definitely taking cues from BSG big-time.

To be perfectly fair, it works well because Space Battleship Yamato is based on the same principle of "WW2 logistics in space" as BSG, it's just very very obviously drawing from BSG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the timing is right for a new Star Trek Animated Series.

Actually surprised that hasn't been done again, the original was pretty well regarded and CG animation would fit Star Trek pretty much perfectly. And nerds love cartoons.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

there will never be another good star trek and if there were they'll cancel it after one season

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
orville is so good guys holy poo poo

i didn't start watching trek until after enterprise was off air and it's cool as hell to have a new trek on air

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think the timing is right for a new Star Trek Animated Series.

Actually surprised that hasn't been done again, the original was pretty well regarded and CG animation would fit Star Trek pretty much perfectly. And nerds love cartoons.

You are totally getting a The Orville Animated Series as seasons 2 through 4 instead.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the new orville episode was very cute and good

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
when does std "air"? im obligated to continue giving it a shot even though it's gently caress awful

THS
Sep 15, 2017

big black turnout posted:

when does std "air"? im obligated to continue giving it a shot even though it's gently caress awful

sunday nights

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

On rotten tomatoes STD is rated 81% while Orville is 20%. WTF? I guess critics really love shiney klingons?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Not that Orville is ground breaking stuff but it's got kind of an odd role to fill. Firstly it's trying to live up to the Trek fan who has seen like 85% of the episodes and secondably it's actually trying to be accessible to a general audience.

If it holds up to this end of the bargain I think it will do waaaay better than Discovery in terms of popularity and eventually getting a second season, despite what critic reviews.

Discovery also has a really odd role it's trying to fill. It's trying to take a step in the BSG direction especially with the serialization and being super serious but whatever that's part of the fun, however let's face it, it's off to a pretty weird start with the Klingon's new Chronicles of Riddick Necromonger vibe and their subtitles (why????), also making the main character someone you can't easily relate to is a risky move. Being daring was a strong suit for BSG so it could work for Discovery. The production value is amazing so credit given where credit due.

None of these are really complaints from me, I love my sci-fi as weird as it can get, but it might be alienating to the person who just wants Star Trek like they remember seeing it a couple dozen times when it's been on TV. They turn this serialized thing on and don't recognize a thing.

On paper Discovery should be a better show but somehow The Orville is better than the sum of it's parts.

Also we are only 2 and 4 episodes in respectively.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

also a car i saw last year

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That car is wanted for so many hit and runs on innocent albinos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ep4 of The Orville is so much a classic TNG ep it's ridiculous. It's a good accompaniment to STD. STD for all your whiz-bang nuTREK laser action, and Orville for slower, more thoughtful TNG style eps.

Although the amount of comedy seems less and less with each new ep of The Orville. If it lasts, I bet it will end up a dead serious show in a two or three years. 30 years later when they're running "Remember the Two-ThousandTEENS?!" on VH1, double-dodeca millennials will learn about "Hey, did you know classic period drama 'The Orville' started out as a comedy?! We talk to President McFarlane about his time on this comedy turned drama, and how it affected his policy towards the nation of mole-people years later!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

numberoneposter posted:

also a car i saw last year

(One of) my local game store owners has "Babylon5" for his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

On rotten tomatoes STD is rated 81% while Orville is 20%. WTF? I guess critics really love shiney klingons?

looking at a brief survey of social media, like their facebook page and stuff, i see a lot more activity with Orville - especially the Olds like it, and they are the ones buying cable (and not subscriptions to CBS now)

at this point I'm going to be pretty upset if Fox cancels it (they will)