Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I watched simone and pat play cuphead and they loved it but polygon is giving the review to chris plante who afaik hates hard games, so it's probably getting a low score from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm honestly shocked that Cuphead is actually being released. It seemed like one of those ~cursed games~.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yeah man, I'm actually surprised that Cuphead is finally coming out. I was hype for this game...like 5 loving years ago.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

ff14 is infinite times better than WoW and every other MMO i've tried, as in, i actually enjoyed playing ff14 at all. it's pretty, and cool, and pretty cool, and i didn't even get to "the good parts"

Nah, it really is just WoW with a FF skin and a few different design choices, some of which aren't better.

Which is fine.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

I watched simone and pat play cuphead and they loved it but polygon is giving the review to chris plante who afaik hates hard games, so it's probably getting a low score from them

homeless snail posted:

I remembered this tweet, and began to laugh again

Seeing this makes me want to call up DSP and deeply apologise for insulting him on every game he played, somehow this guy and polygon are even dumber than him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Junior Jr. posted:

Seeing this makes me want to call up DSP and deeply apologise for insulting him on every game he played, somehow this guy and polygon are even dumber than him.

Whoa hey the guy failed the jump for 90 seconds, not 90 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

Zelda Ball
3 hours ago
i like to grind but i at least need a reason i need to feel rewarded like in fire emblem fates i have married almost everyone

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So it says Cuphead is 108 Megs on the playstore.

Nah, it's about almost 12 gigs.

Junior Jr. posted:

whoa, let's not get crazy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Death plays with all items on, because that's how it is living in real life.

does death smoke weed before you play we need to have a level playing field

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

death never stops smoking weed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death is weed

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
weed is death

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
live like you were dying

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want to get Cuphead but I saw that Hob also came out so now I don't know which one to get. Both is not an option for a few weeks :ohdear:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
weed is murder

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing through dark souls where I purposely cursed myself and haven't leveled up vit once and it's loving hard in a way this game hasn't been since like my first playthrough. Bosses feel like real rear end bosses when I literally can't get touched by them or else I die

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Cuphead looks like fun and I wanna play it, but I have to wait until it's out on steam because rn it's a dumb xbone exclusive.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Cuphead looks like fun and I wanna play it, but I have to wait until it's out on steam because rn it's a dumb xbone exclusive.

I thought it was also coming out on Windows Live tomorrow.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

I thought it was also coming out on Windows Live tomorrow.

scratch that, just checked it IS coming out on steam too, yay.

but the holiday sale is coming up in a couple months so I'll just wait for that. also lol if you buy any games on windows/xbox store.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Random thought that appeared in my broken brain a bit ago. I've enjoyed some exploration games, or as some people call them, "walking simulators," like Tacoma. Are there any games like that set in a dungeon or ruins type setting? It can have a little combat, but I'd like the focus to be on exploration. They don't need to be spooky or horror themed, but they can be.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I haven't played Hellblade but from what I've heard that sort of fits?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Node posted:

Random thought that appeared in my broken brain a bit ago. I've enjoyed some exploration games, or as some people call them, "walking simulators," like Tacoma. Are there any games like that set in a dungeon or ruins type setting? It can have a little combat, but I'd like the focus to be on exploration. They don't need to be spooky or horror themed, but they can be.

Hellblade
What Remains of Edith Finch
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The new Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer is pretty badass. Super excited for this game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Red dead redemption is the only Rockstar game I've somewhat liked so I'm looking forward to 2.

Edit: gently caress I forgot about Lemmings

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

Red dead redemption is the only Rockstar game I've somewhat liked so I'm looking forward to 2.

Ive always wanted to hear technicals about the spaghetti code of RD1. While you can hear that term all day im sure it doesnt cover how that poo poo probably is. I bet it's fascinating :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah, it really is just WoW with a FF skin and a few different design choices, some of which aren't better.

Which is fine.

I disagree, ff14 has a straightforward story, the base and all expansions bridging quite well.

No one knows what the gently caress is happening in WoW leveling up or why the gently caress your doing anything until your at current content.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I stumbled onto the end of NEO Scavenger and it left me kind of disappointed. For such a large game with interesting survival and crafting mechanics, along with skills that can be used in various ways throughout the rest of the game, there is only one ending that isn't death and it can be achieved with a multi-tool, a couple of potato chip bags and a handful of string. Almost worse is the fact that there are a few ways of triggering the end but there's no difference aside from a few lines of text. There's an info dump where there's more information than is possible to ingest in one run followed by some narrative and a New Game option. It's definitely the type of game where I was expecting multiple endings based on whether my character decided to work for one group over another, kind of like Escape Velocity Nova, but as it is I'm drained of my enthusiasm to even get to the main commercial hub of the game because no matter what I do the ending will be the same as the one I fell rear end backwards into.

Just... so much detail put into every other aspect except for the plot's design. To the developer's credit, I found a Reddit post where he cops to knowing that it's a weakness and hopes to learn from it for his next game.

E: Like, if you're going to make the player choose between learning about their character or learning about their world, include a payoff from that choice.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 29, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Andrast posted:

Space Station Silicon Valley :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Esports are over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGv41dSFEJU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't understand how people can spectate team FPS games that need 10 screens just to show you the playing field

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hahaha holy poo poo. I mean I knew Jlo invested in a team, but goddamn this is the 21st century folks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Welp, the snes classics went on sale at the local walmart at midnight, and they were already sold out when I got there at 11:30. I'm not sure I can take Reggie's word on the supply this time around, so I'm sure we can look forward to another round of absurd resale prices. I don't want one enough to camp out in front of Best Buy or Gamestop for hours, gently caress that noise.

*tupac plays over footage of pimply white kids*

Is this real fuckin life

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 29, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdinb3bjoRc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Overwatch as an Esport is just laughable. Blizzard can't balance at all.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

In Training posted:

I don't understand how people can spectate team FPS games that need 10 screens just to show you the playing field

If there was an engaging (and skilled) player I could see watching just them play. But yeah, trying to keep track of an entire squad and what's happening, nah.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

That just makes it more like real sports where more money = better team (for the most part)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Like, the reason counterstrike works as a competitive game is because it's so loving slow, and you can see and understand everything happening. Overwatch is a mess visually and you can't tell what's happening when a bunch of poo poo goes off at once.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Node posted:

If you can handle getting chased by a monster occasionally this is the concept behind Amnesia. A Machine for Pigs is less horror, more walking as it was developed by The Chinese Room who basically created the modern walking simulator.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Internet Kraken posted:

that and it's completely unwatchable. There is way too much poo poo going on at all times and effects all over the entire screen. At least CS:GO and League are relatively slow and easy to parse. Overwatch is just insanity.

edit: kinda beaten. but to expand on this, CS:GO is my President Bartlet "Sport" that I turn on in the background to decompress at the end of a day.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 29, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

When will I get to see the esport of ladies and gentlemen: Mario Party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Poops Mcgoots posted:

When will I get to see the esport of ladies and gentlemen: Mario Party?
I'm pretty sure most countries have laws about inciting violence, and nothing incites violence like a game of Mario Party.

• Locked thread