Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In non degausing news, what is this game featured on the Everdrive video on My Life in Gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHA3k-y6PE

Should be at the 25:47 mark as it not putting the timestamp in right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I guess I'm just in that SD2SNES frame of mind and I know a lot of games are still on the incompatibility list.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's like a dozen games, and the ones worth having you've probably already played or can get on the Wii/Wii U/3DS eShop (or SNES Mini).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

It's like a dozen games, and the ones worth having you've probably already played or can get on the Wii/Wii U/3DS eShop (or SNES Mini).

Yeah much as I love to get the remaining unusable games on the SD2SNES, the SNES Mini really helps fill the hole by having Star Fox 1 & 2, Yoshi Island, Mario RPG, and Kirby Superstar on it. Really only thing missing beyond that is stuff like Kirby Dreamland 3 and other stuff like Marvelous and Doom.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rirse posted:

In non degausing news, what is this game featured on the Everdrive video on My Life in Gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHA3k-y6PE

Should be at the 25:47 mark as it not putting the timestamp in right.

Uhhh...

Oh wait, you're talking about the Strider-like! That's probably RUN SABER

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 28, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Uhhh...

Oh wait, you're talking about the Strider-like! That's probably RUN SABER

Thank you, that was the game.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Phone posted:

Up until me remembering that I have a Sony set in the closet, I was seriously considering spending $500 and 6 hours round trip on picking up an endoscopy set up.

I was just reminding myself to stop spending money on stupid poo poo, as well as remembering that a SD2SNES is like 40% of the price and will provide way more utility than a 3rd CRT.

Glad you came to your senses. People act like you have to play on a PVM or that they are objectively the best option. I saying as having owned and then sold a 14M4U and "holy grail" :rolleyes: 20L5: they are cool but not worth the cost. I find it much more enjoyable to play on 27" consumer set than on a 14-20" (really 13-19") monitor. Grab one with component inputs and a component transcoder and you've got RGB quality on a North American set. And the best part is if there's an issue with your TV you can just pick up another one on Craigslist for near free instead of being saddled with an $200-1200 tube you will never find parts for. I have to roll my eyes when I see YouTube drones waxing over PVMs and aspiring to one day shell out hundreds for one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tree Dude posted:

I guess I'm just in that SD2SNES frame of mind and I know a lot of games are still on the incompatibility list.

That's because the SD2SNES would need either a much more powerful FPGA or multiple FPGAs to be able to emulate all the extra chips for all the unsupported games.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

I don't think the lack of enhancement chip support in flashcarts is a knowledge issue. It's probably hindered by more physical concerns like PCB layout, FPGA capability and power use, and the time and money that would be needed to prototype and test a possible implementation of chip support. And if they (ikari and Krikzz) can't retrofit, say, SuperFX support into their current designs...well, back to the drawing board.

That last bit is what I suspect might be the case (assuming they are actually looking into it to begin with). Hammer out the main support for as many enhancement chips as possible in a new board design, and then release it as a new version in one fell swoop, rather than trying to incrementally include support with their current designs.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm really mad I wasted time looking for Run Saber to get ef;b'd.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monopthalmus posted:

Glad you came to your senses. People act like you have to play on a PVM or that they are objectively the best option. I saying as having owned and then sold a 14M4U and "holy grail" :rolleyes: 20L5: they are cool but not worth the cost. I find it much more enjoyable to play on 27" consumer set than on a 14-20" (really 13-19") monitor. Grab one with component inputs and a component transcoder and you've got RGB quality on a North American set. And the best part is if there's an issue with your TV you can just pick up another one on Craigslist for near free instead of being saddled with an $200-1200 tube you will never find parts for. I have to roll my eyes when I see YouTube drones waxing over PVMs and aspiring to one day shell out hundreds for one.

FIGHT ME

Or don't?

I use PVMs, mainly because I managed to get mine pretty cheap (a 19" for $100 total including shipping from Arizona to my state? A ~15" shipped from Utah for $70 all-in total? Yes please!) Direct RGB support (and SCART-to-BNC adapters do audio breakout better than those component transcoders, since they actually have audio out plugs), nifty features like signal passthrough (potentially useful for streaming), and all that.

So it's not all hype, but I agree that they're overkill for most people, especially if they're not going to invest the :retrogames: to go full RGB anyway. RGB, component - CRT gaming enthusiasts should respect each others choices and differences, and rally together against the real weirdos: those who still use RF hookups in TYOOL 2017.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You don't have to play on a 20L5 but it IS objectively the best way to play :v:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Caitlin posted:

You don't have to play on a 20L5 but it IS objectively the best way to play :v:

Nah, I wouldn't even go that far.

One, there's the size issue which is hard to understate. If you're playing at your desk or something, then sure, 19" is awesome. But if you want to kick back on the couch like video game god intended then man does 19" blow.

Two, there really is such a thing as too sharp. PVMs really shine with 8- and 16-bit games because of their sharp pixels and meaty scanlines and yeah they absolutely look better than a consumer set. That being said, they are not flattering to 32-bit era systems, especially to games with pre-rendered backgrounds. You need a little bloom and softness for these too work. PVMs look almost LCD-like in their sharpness and clearly exhibit the flaws of pre-rendered backgrounds of the era. I also think Saturn/PS1 3D games look worse for similar reasons. They also expose all the dithering on otherwise great looking games like MGS and Chrono Cross. Most of what I play is from these systems, which I don't think is true most retro gamers so I can see why they prefer the PVM look.

Three, PVMs have a kind of flat, low-contrast look which might be great for mastering videos but isn't necessarily good for video games. Personally I prefer a very bright, high-contrast image for games like on an arcade monitor, which a PVM will not give you. The image may be sharp, but it's also kind of lifeless.

I know this is a Video Games Debate (TM) but I'm really not trying to say that PVMs suck or that there's anything wrong with people who choose to use them. I'm just trying to give a different perspective and think that they are overpriced and maybe not even the best option for the very people who are lusting after them.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 28, 2017

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

In case you decide to waste your money anyway, make sure you know whether or not it has the digital video cartridge, and look up a guide for replacing the timekeeper battery.

Seems to have the MPEG cartridge, but yeah it's not worth chiseling the epoxy on the clock chip away to replace that battery. I can have a lot more fun with $70 some other way.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monopthalmus posted:

I know this is a Video Games Debate (TM) but I'm really not trying to say that PVMs suck or that there's anything wrong with people who choose to use them. I'm just trying to give a different perspective and think that they are overpriced and maybe not even the best option for the very people who are lusting after them.

I know :glomp:.

It is too bad that North America didn't get the middle ground that Europeans did, with consumer TVs having RGB inputs directly via SCART. Then this whole issue would probably be moot (until people start fistfighting online over brands and the like).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I have a 14" Toshiba and 24" Trinitron (2006) for CRTs and space is kind of at a premium since I already have too much poo poo in my office. I also have a Framemeister and a SNES that's RGB ready, so I am on the cusp of having THE PERFECT SETUP or whatever; however, I still haven't really put in the time to get everything setup to do speedruns. I can easily justify a PVM since I'm about to sell about $1k worth of car parts; however, I also need to consider my chronic lack of motivation (been putting off a fresh Win10 install for a few months) and the fact that I'm 10 hours into three separate JRPGs right now.

Sitting on my hands isn't the worst option, but that endoscopy cart could probably get some use out in the garage.... hmmm....

I'm also a terrible gamer and like to sit at my desk vs on the couch.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Phone posted:

I have a 14" Toshiba and 24" Trinitron (2006) for CRTs and space is kind of at a premium since I already have too much poo poo in my office. I also have a Framemeister and a SNES that's RGB ready, so I am on the cusp of having THE PERFECT SETUP or whatever; however, I still haven't really put in the time to get everything setup to do speedruns. I can easily justify a PVM since I'm about to sell about $1k worth of car parts; however, I also need to consider my chronic lack of motivation (been putting off a fresh Win10 install for a few months) and the fact that I'm 10 hours into three separate JRPGs right now.

Sitting on my hands isn't the worst option, but that endoscopy cart could probably get some use out in the garage.... hmmm....

I'm also a terrible gamer and like to sit at my desk vs on the couch.

I seriously love your avatar, just fyi

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I usually tell people that PVM is better than a CRT, although mostly for "serious" hobbyists. And that they'll most likely be very happy with a CRT at least compared to their console hooked up to an LCD TV. I paid 90 € for my 20M4E, and the supply is very low here in Scandinavia, I was happy with that.

Also, a 20 inch CRT/PVM is not big enough for couch-gaming? I sit maybe 1,5-2m away and it's perfectly fine. 14 incher is desk size.

I have been entertaining the thought about an OSSC, but that would mean gaming on my 40 inch HDTV and I'm not sure if I want the games to look that big. Suppose if/when my PVM croaks, it's the sensible option, especially if it's gonna be a few years from now and maybe the OSSC (or a similar upscaling system?) has managed to iron out the little flaws.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My PVM-14L5 lives on my desk and it's pretty good. I still need to shift things around considering I'm going to be moving in the near future, but I like where it's at.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I wish the Commodore 1702 was a liiiiiittle bit bigger, because man is that a nice CRT. If they made that but in like 20", that would be awesome.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Huh, my dying Trinitron has the same colored blotch in the same corner as Rirse's PVM, but I know mine is due to a magnetic Christmas ornament getting set on top of it one year. I live with it since it's only really noticeable on a plain bright colored back ground like the blue sky in Duck Hunt and how often does anyone play Duck Hunt these days?

Kthulhu5000 posted:

RGB, component - CRT gaming enthusiasts should respect each others choices and differences, and rally together against the real weirdos: those who still use RF hookups in TYOOL 2017.

Hey I still have a 2600 on RF! I don't know if I should composite mod it or hold out for the Hyperkin 77 for the hdmi out and smaller footprint. I didn't care about it until I played the Star Castle Arcade homebrew, which is a great game, it just looks like rear end coming out of the 2600 and I'm pretty sure its the console's fault.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Code Jockey posted:

I wish the Commodore 1702 was a liiiiiittle bit bigger, because man is that a nice CRT. If they made that but in like 20", that would be awesome.

1702 CRTs were primarily made by JVC using the same style of CRT they used in their mid-high range sets of the early 80s. Trying to hunt down a 1983 or so 20 inch set would get you the same general look, same phosphor design etc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Local shop here has a 3DO for $160 with a controller and 3 games and I'm really tempted. Is that a poo poo deal? Also can a stock 3DO play burned games?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GutBomb posted:

Local shop here has a 3DO for $160 with a controller and 3 games and I'm really tempted. Is that a poo poo deal? Also can a stock 3DO play burned games?

Yes you can play burned discs on 3DOs. However some 3DO units are better than others, eg if you want access to all the possible expansions including the very useful memory expansion unit (which lets you save a lot more savegames and cycle things in and out o the small internal memory so you can manage that). Some units have fewer expansion ports available than others, and I think one unit has particularly worse video output.

If you can find out the manufacturer/model number it'll really help determine if you've got a great deal there versus good deal versus bad deal.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fishmech posted:

Yes you can play burned discs on 3DOs. However some 3DO units are better than others, eg if you want access to all the possible expansions including the very useful memory expansion unit (which lets you save a lot more savegames and cycle things in and out o the small internal memory so you can manage that). Some units have fewer expansion ports available than others, and I think one unit has particularly worse video output.

If you can find out the manufacturer/model number it'll really help determine if you've got a great deal there versus good deal versus bad deal.

It's this if looking at the front will tell you what you need to know

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Syndicate is a decent game and $160 is a decent price for an FZ-1 (that model) in good working order IMO.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GutBomb posted:

That's basically one of the best models, the FZ-1 - most expandability, high quality video output even without modding, and reliable components inside. You should totally go for it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Monopthalmus posted:

I honestly don't regret selling my 14" PVM since I play on my 27" Trinitron. I may miss it if I ever do more game streaming since the input passthrough was really nice without having to worry about splitting signals (since there is a delay on an elgato for anything non-hdmi).

Now, if I had a 20" PVM or bigger BVM, then I would just be using that because it does have a better display.

The only thing I would considered would be a RGB SCART > Component adapter and seeing how that compares (would need to get a bigger component switch, which would put me into the $100+ range on that alone). The guy who RGB modded his Trinitron had an interesting video, I am curious if he goes through with his plan to RGB mod a bigger Trinitron that has Svideo and component as well and do comparisons on this SNES. Still limited by the line count, but getting the purest signal to it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

GutBomb posted:

Eh, just got for High School Musical DS in the background there, you'll probably enjoy it more.

I KID I KID... looks like a decent deal for a B&M store.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I have a 29" Trinitron with built in RGB (Japanese) and its' amazing. I have a 14" older PVM as well but the picture is really inconsistent, got it for 20 yen so can't complain, but I definitely play everything on my Trinitron.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I have a projector and a 32inch plasma that both take 240p rgb natively. Envy me(still play on a 27in trinitron most the time when I'm not playing the NES Classic).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone here got a NEO GEO MVS system? interested in seeing your systems.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have an unmodified (battery removed though) 2-Slot board sitting in a cardboard box if that counts?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have an unmodified (battery removed though) 2-Slot board sitting in a cardboard box if that counts?

for sale?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

From a couple years ago... I still need to update my controller. PROJECTS!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Phone posted:

Speaking of which, Nintendo has announced a shut-down schedule for the Wii Shop Channel.

Long Story Short:
4:59AM JST, March 27, 2018: No longer able to add Wii Points to account.
2:59PM JST, January 31, 2019: No longer able to purchase new items.
Unspecified Date In The Future: No longer able to redownload purchased items or use the Wii System Transfer app.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A used Wii I bought had like $15 in Wii shop credit on it. Guess I'll have to find something to spend it on.

Also, do what I did and pull a PVM out of the electronics recycling, it's FREE! And if you're in Europe, go pick up a Bang & Olufsen CRT TV from your local Craigslist equivalent.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
Young Orc

The Kins posted:

Speaking of which, Nintendo has announced a shut-down schedule for the Wii Shop Channel.

Long Story Short:
4:59AM JST, March 27, 2018: No longer able to add Wii Points to account.
2:59PM JST, January 31, 2019: No longer able to purchase new items.
Unspecified Date In The Future: No longer able to redownload purchased items or use the Wii System Transfer app.

They're not going to allow those purchases to transfer to the switch, are they

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Tonk posted:

The only reason Sony made them free if you own them on another console of theirs was because they made one emulator that worked on all three consoles at the time (PSP/Vita/PS3). Microsoft just plain wants people to please God, buy an XBone! :cripes:

Nintendo didn't plan that far ahead, and has to spend money to redo them for each console, so they charge full-price for'em. Getting them for a severe discount on the WiiU if you own it on the Wii's not bad, at least. And yes, I am in no way saying it's a good tactic compared to Sony's and Microsoft's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sir Tonk posted:

Considering that they want me to pay full price for the Wii U games I own to upgrade them to Switch versions, no.

• Locked thread