Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I can see why Heir obsessed over the Seaboys; these fuckers are just plain mean to use.

Jesus i took the threads seaboy advice and now im all about that island life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
God drat skaven are great. And one of my first choices was to quest for personal glory, or 'Be The Bigger Rat'.

Obviously there's only one choice as skaven. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

So far it's been a nice level of difficulty for playthrough #1 as skaven on VH/VH, though tactical starvation to summon clan rats is a bit too strong of a defense on the campaign map I think, maybe they'll up the cost. Expendable slingers are crazy good vs Sea Guard, I can't imagine that would hold up in multiplayer, but vs the AI it's kinda silly.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 29, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I dunno why you would want anything but seaboys or corsairs

like even dark elves have them and it is amazing

black ark corsairs with hand bows can fire while moving

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

While I'm liking this game a lot overall, I think the ritual chaos spawn mechanic is complete and utter garbage. I own the entirety of Lustria, I've focused heavily on economy and have as many armies of mid-tier units as I can possibly afford to keep garrisoned all around my empire, and I have fully upgraded walls on every single settlement. I feel like I have done absolutely everything I possibly can to keep myself defended, but whenever I hit that ritual button it instantly spawns chaos doomstacks in random locations throughout my territory.

It is straight up impossible to garrison every settlement. As soon as chaos gets its turn, they go straight for the minor cities right next to them, bypassing the siege equipment necessity since they have artillery/giants/etc. Always 99% in their favor and they raze it on that turn without any chance to do anything about it. These are fully upgraded towns I've spent the entire game growing and they just go poof no matter what. Can't even savescum it since they appear in different spots every time. Really think they should just beeline for the ritual target cities and ignore all others because this seems pretty bullshit.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

before you hit the ritual button it tells you what cities to defend

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

I can defend those just fine. Chaos burns down the non-target cities in the middle of my empire, most of them ~5 turns walking distance from any of the targets.

This is not a target city. The closest target city would take probably around 10 turns to get to in forced march. They spawned right next to this one the instant I started the ritual. It is a region capital with a fully upgraded main settlement building and a fully upgraded wall. I had a defensive army stationed 2 turns away. This poo poo happens every time I get to a new stage of the ritual. What else can you do to counter this? Make sure there's a defensive army within 1 turn of every single settlement that you own? That is not possible.

I can't even have offensive stacks because I need to pay upkeep for so many defensive ones, which aren't even full stacks and don't even have amazing units. I only have one recruiting province with every single other one focusing on 100% money. I beelined multiple gold mines and am trading with most factions. And that's still not enough. It's kinda ruining the campaign for me.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 29, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

I know they're rats but the Skaven are a bit too drab brown for me - especially next to the bright blues of the Lizardmen. Probably blasphemous but I would like a mod that brightens them up a bit, or at least gives them some more differentiation.

You're wrong. I'm hoping there's a mod soon that leaves rat poo poo all over the ground everywhere they walk, making it even more rat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Both chaos and intervention armies will happily walk right past the supposed target cities to raze other ones.

My dElf campaign is going well:. The high elves have been ahead of me in the ritual race all game but I interrupted two different rituals of theirs and ended up just sailing down to Lothern and taking it over. I'd meant to just sack and then raze it, but I took long and so if I wanted to get any of that sweet loot I need to occupy it. Now Malekith is off by his lonesome watching the rest of the world and hoping, just stupidly hoping, that the fact that Morathi just confederated two of my allies means she isn't going to attack me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just encountered this problem in my Tyrion campaign. Ulthuan is too drat loving big and those chaos fuckers spawn on the other side of the mountains from the cities they needed to assault, which means my armies are all caught there too. I have to trek all around the impassible mountains and meanwhile I've already lost three cities. It's ridiculous that they spawn with like five hell canons making those walls utterly useless. Though in general this campaign has kind of been a snooze fest as it takes far too long to get anything but spearmen and archers, even lothern seea guard take a while to actually grab because their upkeep is doubled off basic spearmen and archers. And well given the size of UIlthuan...its better to just make more armies with....spearmen and archers. I'm finally in a position now that I own 90% of the island to upgrade but currently I'm trying to repel aforementioned chaos bastards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To avoid the problem of a managing all of Ulthuan I preferred to make friends instead. I only really beat up Caledor the rest I tended to vasselize.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I might've confederated too easily then. I'm not sure. Ellyrion ran wild, taking over the entire western half of the island but they were friends with me. I confederated Yvrese, then Avelorn, and then them, which left me with most of the island. The big problem was Saphery HATED my guts the entire game, and this lead to Malekith being able to get them to join war with me. Which kind of lead to the situation I'm in right now, my armies converging to collapse on Saphery and take them out, saw the ritual cities were all on inner Ulthuan, hit the button, and then right as I do everything goes to poo poo on the outside.

E; Also I've been avoiding military alliances like the plague after my experience in the first game. Are they handled any better here?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 29, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
warp lightning cannons

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
What's the sphere-thing on the end of the boom on the Skaven ships? Bathyscape? Hamster ball? Wrecking ball?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eimi posted:

I might've confederated too easily then. I'm not sure. Ellyrion ran wild, taking over the entire western half of the island but they were friends with me. I confederated Yvrese, then Avelorn, and then them, which left me with most of the island. The big problem was Saphery HATED my guts the entire game, and this lead to Malekith being able to get them to join war with me. Which kind of lead to the situation I'm in right now, my armies converging to collapse on Saphery and take them out, saw the ritual cities were all on inner Ulthuan, hit the button, and then right as I do everything goes to poo poo on the outside.

E; Also I've been avoiding military alliances like the plague after my experience in the first game. Are they handled any better here?

The elves for the most part h ave not gotten into fights in my game. Plus you have intriuge which lets you manipulate factions relationships with each other.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

What's the sphere-thing on the end of the boom on the Skaven ships? Bathyscape? Hamster ball? Wrecking ball?

I think it's an oversized plague-censer.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hi all, played a brief co-op campaign with a buddy, really enjoyed it. Looking for more friends to play with.

I can't play at this exact second but I thought I'd post contact info. I don't belong to any goon steam groups anyway either.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/horsse

Discord: hemophilia#0399

I can act really weird in GBS but i'm mostly a quiet chill dude and while i usually game with friends I know, only a handful of them have this yet/play total war games at all.

If this was the wrong place to post this, sorry, but the game rules, and the co-op design is really good for once in a grand strategy game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really wish they would add a simultaneous turns system, like heroes of might and magic has. When you're playing co-op, especially since TW2 forces you to play the same faction, there's no good reason why your turns couldn't happen at the same time, and then when both of you finish acting, all the AIs go. It would make things massively smoother.

But TW's engine is this huge beast that's been built up for decades and just wasn't designed for that, so I guess it'd be too much work to get that in there.

The in-game encyclopedia is still completely useless. It tells you a unit has things like "aquatic" without any possible way to explain what that means. You should be able to just click on it to get a definition of that rule, or hell, just in-line the rule right there. But nope.

You can see what the rule does outside the encyclopedia in the game, but that requires you to have one of the unit so you can click on it and then mouse over the unit card. You can't see this information from the "units your buildings produce" screen though, because then you can't click on the unit, so there's no way to mouse over the unit card :psyduck: this is abysmal UI design

otherwise this game rules and holy poo poo the campaign is 100x better than TW1's

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm loving the Skaven overall but the food mechanic is sort of killing me. Do I understand it properly that upgrading settlements causes them to consume more food?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Good to see the siege AI is still utterly braindead. I just wiped out Jerrod's Errantry Army thanks to him placing all his heavy cav in front of the walls and allowing them to stand there while they got shot to pieces.

I'm actually kind of disappointed they never thought about implementing dismounting for cavalry like in oldschool Medieval.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I really hope the fact that there's all the old world races represented lets us play as them on the vortex campaign map at some point, I mean, a lot of the possible starts look like they could be really interesting, strategically and allow for some pretty neat variants. Some examples:

Vampire coast for Pirate-themed Vampire Counts.

Sudenberg/New World Colonies for colonial-themed Empire.

One of the orders in Araby for Crusader-themed Brettonians.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

black arks were done well and feel like a better horde than normal horde armies

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Pendent posted:

Ok, I'm loving the Skaven overall but the food mechanic is sort of killing me. Do I understand it properly that upgrading settlements causes them to consume more food?

It is one food per settlement or army, regardless of size.

Raiding gets you 3 food, and a stack of Skaven slaves costs next to nothing.

Green leaf resource lets your city build a rice field that also gives you a ton of food.

I've had zero food issues and I've been upgrading new cities left and right. It is a really powerful mechanic.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Multiplayer quickbattles have been amazing so far. Lizardmen Dinos are gonna have to be rebalanced at this point because its obscene how cheaply you can get Bastilodons and Stegadons and how insanely powerful they are on the field.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

420 Gank Mid posted:

Multiplayer quickbattles have been amazing so far. Lizardmen Dinos are gonna have to be rebalanced at this point because its obscene how cheaply you can get Bastilodons and Stegadons and how insanely powerful they are on the field.

I like the rite that gets you an army of feral carnosaurs and ancient stegodons for like, 8400

e: also a saurus hero too i guess but I like the four carnosaurs I got on the cheap.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pendent posted:

I believe that's the case. You have to be a little selective when settling. Watch for settlements with small.plant icons next to their name, allows you to build +food building.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is Mazdamundis start just kinda slow or is it just me? I didn't play the first one so I'm kind of new to this but: I bulldoze the Skeggi as fast as I can then I find myself kind of treading water loving with building upgrades and public order for ten or so turns before trying to go for the northern ruin with a ton of plaques only to find it's a Skaven capital.

Should I have gotten my second stack rolling much earlier maybe, to aggressivey ruin hunt to the west?

tl;dr I have no idea what I'm doing :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

so far, from playing as momrathi and isle of helfs, it seems a bit slow to build up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is Mazdamundis start just kinda slow or is it just me? I didn't play the first one so I'm kind of new to this but: I bulldoze the Skeggi as fast as I can then I find myself kind of treading water loving with building upgrades and public order for ten or so turns before trying to go for the northern ruin with a ton of plaques only to find it's a Skaven capital.

Should I have gotten my second stack rolling much earlier maybe, to aggressivey ruin hunt to the west?

I kinda did the same thing, and that happened in TW1 too sometimes if you bit off more than you could chew. But its not really that bad if you just have to burn a bunch of turns before you can do stuff again. You can always come back and start a new game later and try to win faster based on what you learn.

Skaven's bark is worse than its bite generally though so just try clearing them out.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Playing as the dark elves is hilarious. Some of it's the building descriptions, some of it is how incredibly over-the-top they are, some of it is how they pronounce "Druchii" like "Dookie."

Mostly though it's the fact that Malekith will sometimes say "I hate snow" in an upset-kid voice whenever he's in a cold area.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you're struggling with Skaven the answer is "Build more armies full of trash units and go raiding"

They cost basically nothing, give a good amount of food and you can use them to bulk up your main force too at a pinch. You don't have to worry about a rout because trash units don't gently caress with the morale of actually good stuff.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Fans posted:

If you're struggling with Skaven the answer is "Build more armies full of trash units and go raiding"

They cost basically nothing, give a good amount of food and you can use them to bulk up your main force too at a pinch. You don't have to worry about a rout because trash units don't gently caress with the morale of actually good stuff.

Yeah I'm just figuring this out. For some reason I thought building more armies would just make the food problem worse, but it seems to be tied to upkeep cost not stack size. So my 12g/turn slaves never set me back more than 1 food a turn.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Hahaha the Tier 3 gold mine for Skaven is: "Although they have no use for it themselves, Skaven purposely mine gold to inconvenience other races" :troll:

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I played the first game decently enough and could handle most stuff it threw at me.
Finding the dynamic of this seems tricky.

I booted it up last night and after a bit of pondering decided to give old toady a shot.
It played ok, I expanded up north to where the dark elves were and fought and won battles against Norsca, skaven and some random armies. When all of a sudden a full random army 20 stack showed up out of nowhere. About 8 plus of them were chosen , 2 black dragons, top tier cold one knights, dark shard xbows. They bee line to my capital which is garrisioned at level 3 with a 7 stack and lay siege after taking a dump on some minor cities. I move my main stack to wreck them and Sally forth. The balance of power is only a sliver for me.
So i fight and win taking huge casualties and barely any units have any strength left. I check the difficulty. It's set to easy....

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Hahaha the Tier 3 gold mine for Skaven is: "Although they have no use for it themselves, Skaven purposely mine gold to inconvenience other races" :troll:

They only trade it so they can flood the market with it and crash the economies of other races.

Skaven laugh at your fiat currency elf thing. Mine for bitcoins instead yes yes

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How do you reduce Chaos corruption as Malekith?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
:geno: Oh no. The Glittering Tower is under attack by two half-stacks of Sartosian Pirates while my armies are off defending ritual sites. All I have is the garrison.

Here they come. They might notice a slight drizzle. It's a kind of sideways rain we have here on Ulthuan.

You'd have to be pretty brave to walk over the corpses of 200 guys to try to reach my battle line.

Final result: 1200 vs 600. 50 dead on my part. Elven missile superiority feels good.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The AI seems poor at playing Skaven in a battle.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Ugh, I would actually like to see them put in proper naval battles now, or at least fix the auto-resolve so it's not just raw stats or whatever. I just lost a spear-heavy army (including about 8 Seaguard) that was specifically tailored to tackle Jerrod's giant cav armies, because he engaged them at sea. Seaboys don't stand much of a chance against masses of grail knights in the auto-resolve, sadly, water or not.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Got the achievement for winning when outnumbered 10-1 against the Helfs as Skaven. That was REALLY hectic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So is this series still supposed to be a trilogy? After TW: Warhammer 2's DLCs what are they even going to have left to release for a third game? Chaos dwarves vs pirates?