Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I'm about halfway through On Writing and it's pretty good but I'm amazed at how little he actually talks about the process of writing. It's more of a biography so far than anything. Should I check out Danse Macabre? I think I tried to read it once a long time ago but seem to remember being "out of the loop" since I hadn't seen or read most of what he was referencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BiggerBoat posted:

So I'm about halfway through On Writing and it's pretty good but I'm amazed at how little he actually talks about the process of writing. It's more of a biography so far than anything. Should I check out Danse Macabre? I think I tried to read it once a long time ago but seem to remember being "out of the loop" since I hadn't seen or read most of what he was referencing.

I imagine On Writing would not be nearly as popular if it was actually telling people how to write like King

#savage

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'd hate to know how to be one of the most prolific and successful writers in history.

It would be dreadful.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

504 posted:

Yeah, I'd hate to know how to be one of the most prolific and successful writers in history.

It would be dreadful.

You don't need a book to be as prolific as Stephen King. Its pretty simple.

A. Look around your house
B. Find something
C. Pretend its evil and haunted

there ya go

Like Stephen King subscribes to the same style as Woody Allen, if you make the same movie 20 times one of em will turn out good.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 26, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
His actual practice of writing isn't hard to find

-8 pages a day
-write in the morning
-don't outline
-don't write down ideas; if they're good ideas they'll stick around and you"ll forget the bad ideas
-complete the story in 3 months
-finish it, move on, edit it after a few months away from it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It should also be pointed out that King literally doesn't remember writing his best books so any writing advice from him becomes more suspect

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It should also be pointed out that King literally doesn't remember writing his best books so any writing advice from him becomes more suspect

He does make a big emphasis to read everyday, and he reads legit good books, or at least used to. The irony is the whole section on editing in On Writing is pretty good advice that he hasn't used himself in two decades.

The book mentioned is called On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, so it's not selling itself as a how-to book on writing. There's advice, but the majority of the book is how he became a writer and some really good stories from his life and his addiction. I think maybe the last few sections are actually on writing, and it's less "this is what I do" and more "here's some habits you need to develop if you want to enjoy writing".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah totally, I was being facetious from the beginning but King is fascinating in how he has managed to dedicate himself so much to writing

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Franchescanado posted:

His actual practice of writing isn't hard to find

-8 pages a day
-write in the morning
-don't outline
-don't write down ideas; if they're good ideas they'll stick around and you"ll forget the bad ideas
-complete the story in 3 months
-finish it, move on, edit it after a few months away from it

It's funny to see his advice and then Joe Hills, whose method is both similar and departs in pretty big ways. Hill usually writes 5 drafts, the first one by hand, and then the third draft he starts from a blank page and rewrites it completely. It's a method I've used from time to time (I find if I'm getting muddled up with too much bullshit, going from scratch again gives a much more streamlined story without old draft remnants hanging around) but it's also one that's probably a bit of overkill.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah totally, I was being facetious from the beginning but King is fascinating in how he has managed to dedicate himself so much to writing

The second part of that post was pointing out to BiggerBoat (surprise surprise) that he's reading a book about a guy who spent his life writing as if it's a how-to guide to writing, which it really isn't, except for a few chapters near the end.

DrVenkman posted:

It's funny to see his advice and then Joe Hills, whose method is both similar and departs in pretty big ways. Hill usually writes 5 drafts, the first one by hand, and then the third draft he starts from a blank page and rewrites it completely. It's a method I've used from time to time (I find if I'm getting muddled up with too much bullshit, going from scratch again gives a much more streamlined story without old draft remnants hanging around) but it's also one that's probably a bit of overkill.

I think there's value to that. I prefer writing first drafts in longhand on pretty much every writing project I've done, and then typing it up. I enjoy that King still writes with a typewriter and Joe writes with pencils, that both of them eschew word processors until the later drafts.

Then again, it didn't help Joe with The Fireman, so whatever. He's really going down in quality with each book. Or maybe he also suffers the Palahniuk rule of 3

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Joe Hill seems to fall into the same mistake of his father that more plot means better plot

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You don't need a book to be as prolific as Stephen King. Its pretty simple.

A. Look around your house
B. Find something
C. Pretend its evil and haunted

there ya go

Like Stephen King subscribes to the same style as Woody Allen, if you make the same movie 20 times one of em will turn out good.

Except I would not enjoy that
No one else would enjoy that
It would not entertain hundreds of millions
It would not sell

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

504 posted:

It would not sell

Fleshlight of Doom

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Joe Hill seems to fall into the same mistake of his father that more plot means better plot

This is very true, and is why I'm looking forward to his upcoming novella collection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

504 posted:

It would not sell

Well there's that story about the cymbal monkey
And that story about the haunted kindle
The story of the evil word processor
The story of the evil car
The story of a store that only has spooky haunted things

I can keep going.

I understand that contextually these stories can be enjoyed or be scary, but that doesn't change the basis of the joke, which is true for some of his stories.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

The story of the evil car

Which one?

Ornamented Death posted:

This is very true, and is why I'm looking forward to his upcoming novella collection.

I have never seen a premise less in need of an antagonist and explanation than Locke and Key and I will be forever annoyed he added both

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Which one?

I have never seen a premise less in need of an antagonist and explanation than Locke and Key and I will be forever annoyed he added both

I thought it worked. If they didn't have the villain, there wouldn't really be a plot after the third arc. The explanation wasn't necessary, but it wasn't bad, and it played into the theme of "Your parents are also flawed people capable of hosed up mistakes, just like everyone else".

Mel, have you ever read any Charles Burns graphic novels? I just started Black Hole and really enjoy it, but I don't know how you feel about David Lynch & Cronenberg type storytelling. Everything you recommend me is more slice-of-life-but-life-sucks stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cronenberg is my favorite director.

My problem is with Locke and Key is that "keys in an old house that unlock different forms of reality" is such a rich premise that it could have gone so many other places than "evil demon villain"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My problem is with Locke and Key is that "keys in an old house that unlock different forms of reality" is such a rich premise that it could have gone so many other places than "evil demon villain"

No, I totally agree, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. I mean, realistically, that's how I feel about every King book premise, and I guess Joe's too.

You should definitely read Black Hole if you haven't. It's like David Lynch and Cronenberg decided to make a graphic novel version of Dazed & Confused.

Slightly :nws:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Keep going. The first half is more or less autobiography, the second half gets down to brass tacks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I imagine On Writing would not be nearly as popular if it was actually telling people how to write like King

#savage

That's not what I was looking for. More an explanation of "how he writes".

I just wanted to learn more about his process, which seems to essentially boil down to "work hard, put your desk in a corner and eventually get lucky". Marry a woman that can put up with your poo poo. Which is fine and I'm enjoying the book, I just expected more exposition on the actual craft and deeper insight into his approach.

It's called "On Writing" but so far it's just a Stephen King autobiography.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so the lesson here is to do lots of cocaine

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You also got him talking about his dads drinking through the Mom character

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Danse Macabre is good but as you mention, the references are tied to its era as it's really an explanation of horror. Some of his book suggestions are pretty good as, since it's been so long since Danse Macabre was published, some of the picks are pretty obscure. There are bits of autobiography in there, too.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BiggerBoat posted:

Danse Macabre is real good, if dated*, look at horror as a genre, from the ground up. Nothing earthshaking, but a really solid and readable look at a genre from the inside by one of its core surviving figures. The only thing I'll say against it is that Stephen King actually has really weird and often unappealing taste in (then) contemporary horror literature. He's much more of a film buff, ironically.

*he published an appendix of horror recommendations post-Danse Macabre, if you can find it online, and really want to know what he thought of The Ring

EDIT: also, apropos of nothing, I'm rereading It in honor of the new movie, and holeeeee shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, Richie's voices are a lot more racist than I remembered.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 27, 2017

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Danse Macabre is one of my favorite toilet-readin' books of all time. It's so goddamn user-friendly in exploring how horror works and when it doesn't.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Does anyone remember a short story about a guy who is stuck on a desert island and slowly eats himself? I think it's called survivor type. I forget what anthology it's a part of.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lurks Morington posted:

Does anyone remember a short story about a guy who is stuck on a desert island and slowly eats himself? I think it's called survivor type. I forget what anthology it's a part of.

It is called Survivor Type and it is in Skeleton Crew.

ladyfingers they taste just like ladyfingers

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

Khizan posted:

Listen, no man is an island. But some men do bunches of coke and eat themselves

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Khizan posted:

I believe that collection also has the scariest story he ever wrote in it, to me anyways, The Jaunt. Man, that still comes back to me and gives me nightmares, I don't think its fully left my brain since I read that in highschool.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lurks Morington posted:

I believe the character in Survivor Type is stuck on a boat or life raft, but yeah, it's in Skeleton Crew. Been a while though so it could be an island.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There's a different story in Skeleton Crew called, suitably enough, "The Raft." That's the one where people are consumed by an oil-slick-looking entity that pulls them into the water and then dissolves them. I'm pretty sure "Survivor Type" is on a beach.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There's a different story in Skeleton Crew called, suitably enough, "The Raft." That's the one where people are consumed by an oil-slick-looking entity that pulls them into the water and then dissolves them. I'm pretty sure "Survivor Type" is on a beach.

The Raft is also the best segment in Creepshow 2.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

I believe that collection also has the scariest story he ever wrote in it, to me anyways, The Jaunt. Man, that still comes back to me and gives me nightmares, I don't think its fully left my brain since I read that in highschool.

LONGER THAN YOU THINK, DAD! LONGER THAN YOU THINK!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mdemone posted:

LONGER THAN YOU THINK, DAD! LONGER THAN YOU THINK!

Sometimes late at night when I can't sleep I'll think of that, and wonder what if there is an afterlife and thats it, before a wave of anxiety rushes over me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
skeleton crew is the one king paperback i will keep forever

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I finished Revival and thought it was pretty great. I definitely didn't see the twist coming until he started mentioning grimoires and Lovecraft, at which point I had some idea what was coming but I thought the execution was really well done. I'm glad that I am going back through King books I somehow missed, I think there are a lot of good ones that I've never read (or maybe read 20 years ago and have forgotten).

I thought Revival also avoided King's problem with unsatisfying endings. It reminded me of Salem's Lot and a few others, really, where the ending is less definitive - I think King excels when he can 'end' with that sort of Tales from the Crypt "but what's next!" kind of thing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

skeleton crew is the one king paperback i will keep forever

I have a bunch I've read multiple times. Different Seasons comes to mind.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In IT the trek to Its lair is through a bunch of cramped tunnels that even as children sometimes get really tight. Later, Tom kidnaps Audra and takes her to the lair and all I can imagine is Tom struggling through poo poo water and cramped tunnels in the dark while trying to carry a grown woman who is fighting him every single step of the way while trying to make sure she doesn't drown or get seriously injured himself. Also, I really want to know what happened when Bowers got to Its lair. Did he go in? What did he see? What happened, Stephen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

oldpainless posted:

In IT the trek to Its lair is through a bunch of cramped tunnels that even as children sometimes get really tight. Later, Tom kidnaps Audra and takes her to the lair and all I can imagine is Tom struggling through poo poo water and cramped tunnels in the dark while trying to carry a grown woman who is fighting him every single step of the way while trying to make sure she doesn't drown or get seriously injured himself. Also, I really want to know what happened when Bowers got to Its lair. Did he go in? What did he see? What happened, Stephen?
I don't think Tom would have had much of a problem with Audra because it's well established that IT can hypnotize vulnerable adults; once they were that close to IT, she and Tom probably sleepwalked through the tunnels together.

It doesn't seem as if Henry Bowers ever made it into IT's inner lair; Belch and Criss seem to have died relatively soon after entering the sewers and Bowers tried to flee the sewers after that, eventually making his way to the surface.