Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snoremac posted:

The Hawks-Cats-Swans dynasty is ended. Who shall join Richmond in the second triumvirate?

Dogs/tigs/saints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Grand fuckin' Final tomorrow let's get fuckin' exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiited

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What do we even do on a Friday night with no footy

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
heard that adelaide and richmond have the two longest active stretches of not making a grand final in the league, that can't be right can it?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snaeksikn posted:

heard that adelaide and richmond have the two longest active stretches of not making a grand final in the league, that can't be right can it?

Not for long.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

It is true, though Adelaide have only been out a year longer than Carlton or north. Also it is the first time since the first VFL grand final that no player on either team has ever played in one before this (they were saying on the radio last Saturday)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm in Ararat and the 'Go Crows' signs and tricolour balloons attached to fences, street signs, and servos still haven't stopped, are we that popular, or is it backlash against the tigers?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

I'm in Ararat and the 'Go Crows' signs and tricolour balloons attached to fences, street signs, and servos still haven't stopped, are we that popular, or is it backlash against the tigers?

They're all SA refugees

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

Any major crows players from Ararat?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

What do we even do on a Friday night with no footy

Grand Final Marathon

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

monolithburger posted:

Grand Final Marathon

Unf. Love that poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

Any major crows players from Ararat?

No, and they were in every town before Ararat too, they didn't stop at Bordertown. They were putting a big Crows sign up in Stawell as we went past.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Guys I don't really give a poo poo who wins tomorrow. Like I can't will up anything other than apathy for either team.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Testekill posted:

Guys I don't really give a poo poo who wins tomorrow. Like I can't will up anything other than apathy for either team.

Geez, win one flag and you Dogs fans just turn, huh?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i am about as ambivalent towards who i want to win as i was last year but im looking forward to the game

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope it is a better match than most matches we have had but I hope even more that it ends with a Crows win.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Go the Tigers!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I think I'm on the Tiger train due to family but its a bit hard this year without a clear heel. I like most of the Crows players and they literally had their coach murdered 18 months ago.

Crows this year Tigers next would be fine by me.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
My neighbour, who is psychic, says that she has noticed lots of crows flying around and it’s a sign the crows are going to win tomorrow. I pointed out that that’s not unusual and there have always been lots of crows flying around. She said the signs have been a long time (years) coming. So, uh, you heard it here first, folks!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Even the guy at my local alcohol shop think it'd be nice for the Tigers to win and he's a Melbourne fan. There's always the excuse of supporting a Victorian team, I guess.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thepokey posted:

My neighbour, who is psychic, says that she has noticed lots of crows flying around and it’s a sign the crows are going to win tomorrow. I pointed out that that’s not unusual and there have always been lots of crows flying around. She said the signs have been a long time (years) coming. So, uh, you heard it here first, folks!

what sort of sign would she be seeing if richmond were going to get up??

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

I see many cats around me but no Tigers????? Geelong 2 win

This the most ridiculously hyped Grand Final in years, JJJ had it on all yesterday and today. I've been touring shopping centers for work the last week, there are so many people out in colors.

Crows by 118 (so Port still have the record margin).

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I think the main reason I really can’t stand the Tigers is more the supporters I know. The actual team themselves and Dimma I really don’t mind all that much. My Dad’s partner’s side of the family are all Richmond and they’re the most insufferable Andrew Bolt worshipping obnoxious people I’ve ever come across. Imagine a horde of extremely right wing (except one communist, legit) Aker + Bolt hybrids and I want nothing to do with them on a good day let alone if Richmond win. I feel like this is a therapy session getting that off my chest.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

Mad Max being on TV the night before?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Gotta be going for the Crows. I mean, who actually likes Richmond other than Senator Richard Di Natale?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Gotta be going for the Crows. I mean, who actually likes Richmond other than Senator Richard Di Natale?

Imagine not wanting to see video of Mick Molloy asleep in the middle of the tram tracks at 3am

Imagine

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

thepokey posted:

I bet her log saw something.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snaeksikn posted:

Power surges

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

jayden hunt is doing both the foxfooty longest kick and grand final sprint :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8WfbMp_X2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqISUz91gk

also lewis jetta and dane zorko are doing the sprint too so should be interesting but will probably be won by someone weird like stephen may

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 29, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Stringers' ex has given him a fair whack, turns out he has a pretty serious gambling addiction that has developed since he was a teenager and she's gotten messages from school girls (17 year olds thankfully so it's just seedy and unpleasant instead of illegal) saying that he's slept with them.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Testekill posted:

Stringers' ex has given him a fair whack, turns out he has a pretty serious gambling addiction that has developed since he was a teenager and she's gotten messages from school girls (17 year olds thankfully so it's just seedy and unpleasant instead of illegal) saying that he's slept with them.

you can take the boy out of bendigo..

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I forgot how ridiculous that Hunt torp was.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thepokey posted:

Mad Max being on TV the night before?

If it is Mad Max 3 it means Carlton will win the flag:

(lower left)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

you can take the boy out of bendigo..

It wouldn't have been shocked if he was hooking up with random chicks at night clubs but not only were some of the women school girls, apparently at least one was 16 which is pretty predatory. I know that Fevola had a myriad of issues a mile long but not even Fev joined the Bootsma club and started rooting school girls. It's public. Stringer's cooked.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

drunkill posted:

If it is Mad Max 3 it means Carlton will win the flag:

(lower left)

That's just the Carlton cheer squad.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I think that maybe the biggest thing is that his gambling addiction is bad enough that his manager had to loan him money. Like if you're earning about 500k a season (Manager probably gets about 50-75k of that I'd think but it's not counting match payments and clauses) and you need to be loaned money then you're on a pretty bad downward trend. It wouldn't be unlikely for him to be eventually getting involved with loan sharks.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
If that's true then I guess that means that Saints will chuck in an offer :downswords: (quitting footy forever if that happens)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

Former AFL WAG Abby Gilmore reveals truth behind her split from Western Bulldogs star Jake Stringer

ABBY Gilmore has had enough.

She’s not going to stay silent any longer to protect the football reputation of her estranged fiance Jake Stringer, or the boys’ club that is still part of the AFL.

It’s taken a year of heartbreak and pain, but this week she has found her voice.

“Women can speak. We are allowed to have a voice,” Gilmore told the Herald Sun’s Page 13 at her Altona North home this week, “I couldn’t suffer in silence anymore.”

When the footy WAG received a message from a 17-year-old schoolgirl saying she was having sex with Gilmore’s Western Bulldogs’ fiance, her seemingly picture perfect life shattered.

Gilmore knows she will cop flak for speaking out.

Blowing the whistle on the WAG lifestyle and toxic culture of sex, lies and gambling at football clubs is regarded as out of bounds.

“Everyone seems to know what was going on, but no one was saying or doing anything about it,” Gilmore says.

With a six-week-old baby, the couple’s second child, Gilmore, 24, felt ashamed and humiliated as a seemingly endless parade of girls left messages with in-your-face taunts about their sex sessions, with Stringer, some sending nude photographs of the premiership player.

“When it all blew up I was turned away from the club.

“I couldn’t believe it, the senior people just didn’t want to hear me out.

“But the Bulldogs players showed they cared. I’m proud of them for that. They were disgusted by his behaviour, doing that to me when I was pregnant. They let him know it.”

After months of depression and emotional upheaval, Abby Gilmore has decided that breaking her silence on a dirty little secret is the only way she can regain her self respect.

It is the first real insight into what was actually on inside the Western Bulldogs and Stringer’s much rumoured about off field performance this year.

Stringer’s gambling addiction had reached fever pitch, Gilmore said. He had blown six figure sums of the young family’s savings.

Gilmore felt lost.

With two daughters, Milla 3 and baby Arlo to look after, she pretended she still had the picket fence and luxury WAG lifestyle, keeping up the pretence in front of her friends and family and her 100k-plus social media following.

She put on a forced smile when Stringer and the Western Bulldogs won the Grand Final last year, even though she knew his ego and the hero worship he would revel in would become unbearable.

But a year on and Gilmore says she “is done pretending.” She is no longer ashamed.

The young mother is selling the furniture she bought with Jake so she can start afresh.

Gilmore is prepared to get heat. She says speaking out to help other women in similar circumstances is the only way to regain her self respect.

She is sick of all the lies and innuendo.

Gambling started as a teen
Gilmore and Jake met in Bendigo when she was just 13 and the two were barely in high school. Jake became like a son to her mother and father.

“We created this life together. But what was happening at the football club was just out of my control.”

Abby had long been living with Stringer’s gambling addiction. She said the gambling started when Jake was a 16 year-old with stars in his eyes about a career in footy.

“The environment at a football club is concerning. Everything around footy is dictated on betting. How do you stop something when all you are surrounded by is gambling?”

Gilmore controlled all the finances with his AFL manager Paul Connors. But when Jake wanted cash his manager would dole it out.

“The clubs organise counselling and do all that, but the thing with Jake is that he needed more.

“Whatever he got it wasn’t enough,” Gilmore says.

“They had a duty of care to look after Jake and I think if they had listened to me they would have been able to help him a lot more.

“He wasn’t helped in the right way, but in saying that you need to want help. You can’t when you are lying about it and pushing it under the carpet like Jake was.”

Gilmore said living with Jake’s gambling addiction was a rollercoaster ride of epic highs and lows.

“I am sensitive to it, because it is a real problem, it’s an addiction.

“In hindsight I realised I played a role in his gambling. I should have spoken out more to get him help rather than passively enabling his actions.”

She wishes there could be more openness inside the locker rooms. While Gilmore says there is some light, a lot of footballers like Jake are still floundering in the dark.

“It’s still such a man’s world. I wish he could have walked in and said ‘guys, I have a massive gambling addiction, can you help me’. But he would never do that, no way, he would say it was too embarrassing.”

Gilmore lived with the gambling. She managed without the squandered savings.

The message that saw a perfect life crumble
But her life truly fell apart the day after a sit down interview with Herald Sun’s chief football writer Mark Robinson. Jake had gushed about how in love he was with Abby, waxing lyrical about his kids and the importance of family to him.

Gilmore woke up the next day feeling happy and normal for the first time since giving birth six weeks earlier.

She went to a boxing lesson and was hanging on the couch with Stringer’s teammate Jason “JJ” Johannisen, who was so close to the couple that he was present in the birthing suite when Abby was in labour.

“Jake had gone out to get lunch and I was just chilling with JJ when I got this message and just went pale. I showed Jason,” Gilmore said.

“We both had no idea.”

The text from the schoolgirl said she was having sex with Stringer, who is dubbed The Package. Gilmore later called her only to discover he had been visiting her family home, sometimes three times a week, for over four months to have sex.

“Her parents were diehard Bulldogs supporters, they gave their blessing to this homewrecker,” Gilmore said.

“I immediately thought I must be doing something wrong. I think that is what so many women first feel, I’m not good enough.”

“When I confronted him, Jake said ‘I’m so sorry I love you’, I said ‘fine I have a six-week-old what can I do?’ I was embarrassed.

“We all constantly scroll through other people’s perfect lives on social media. I thought I had that perfect life and so was ashamed when it all came crumbling down.”

But the schoolgirl’s tawdry confession was just the beginning.

Gilmore says a long line of predatory and sometimes gleeful girls have since contacted her and sent her nude photographs of Stringer in his naked glory.

“It was the full package all right,” Gilmore says, still managing to find some of her trademark larrikin humour in the greatest of adversities.

“Everyone was getting to look at The Package. It just kept going on and on.”

‘I woke up one day with a new path’
Abby said she got so depressed she couldn’t leave the house.

Even looking at baby Arlo made her think of all the other women Stringer had been sleeping with.

“I had social anxiety,” she said.

“I had just done an article on how beautiful my family was and the very next day I got this message and my life crumpled to pieces.

“The worst part for me was all these girls knew I existed, they knew I was pregnant with a child and it’s just wrong.”

She wishes more could be done to educate footballers on sex and coping with the hero worship and predatory females desperate for five minutes in the spotlight on the arm of a player.

“Because I was a WAG we get put under this umbrella that you deserve it, because you signed up for it,” she says.

“But I didn’t. I met Jake when I was 13. I didn’t know what being a WAG would entail, or maybe I would have thought twice about it.”

She wishes Jake the best in his endeavours at a new club, with Geelong and Essendon sniffing around after he was giving his marching orders by the Bulldogs last month.

She said alleged cover ups of infighting at the Bulldogs did not surprise her.

Or that the club and coach Luke Beveridge had finally had enough.

“The cheating and stuff with me, they weren’t happy about that and it changed the dynamics at the club,” she said.

“Nothing is enough for Jake. He had the football club and now he is leaving that. He had his family and left that. I’m sad for him. He obviously isn’t doing it just for fun. He has an addictive personality.”

Gilmore says she is not speaking out to flog an endorsement or push an ambassador role. She is just fed up and she knows she is not alone.

“I’ve had so many WAGs contact me saying it has happened to them too and they are too scared to speak out.

“I realised I was lowering my self-worth by being in this relationship. I was showing my girls that you put up with whatever to have a roof over your head and nice things. But I want my girls to know I would rather struggle and be happy than be in a toxic relationship.

“No one talks about it, but so many women go through it. I just want to have a voice for that.”

Gilmore says she finds strength and healing in sharing her story so other women can feel empowered and shrugging off the stigma of what has happened to her.

“When I finally said ‘I’m done, I’m not doing this anymore’ and packed the kids up I actually found it empowering. I suppose that’s where I found my path.”

Gilmore is now in a new relationship, with a “a good bloke who doesn’t play football.”

She has started training as a counsellor and set up female-only workshops Love Yo’Self to help women feel confident and feel safe and protected to open up about their life hurdles.

“I want to send y message, not my mess,” she says

“I woke up one day with a new path. It’s not something I chose. It’s been handed to me and that was a really hard pill to swallow.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

boy undead posted:

I forgot how ridiculous that Hunt torp was.

the mark of the year comp wasnt the only disgrace in the fan voted stakes, hunts torp didnt even make the top 3 in the goal of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gross. Poor woman.

• Locked thread