Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

my kinda ape posted:

So is this series still supposed to be a trilogy? After TW: Warhammer 2's DLCs what are they even going to have left to release for a third game? Chaos dwarves vs pirates?

Chaos Dwarfs, ogre kingdoms and probably the demons, maybe Kislev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Oh yeah I forgot about ogres and daemons. I never got into WH Fantasy as much as 40k.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Eimi posted:

I might've confederated too easily then. I'm not sure. Ellyrion ran wild, taking over the entire western half of the island but they were friends with me. I confederated Yvrese, then Avelorn, and then them, which left me with most of the island. The big problem was Saphery HATED my guts the entire game, and this lead to Malekith being able to get them to join war with me. Which kind of lead to the situation I'm in right now, my armies converging to collapse on Saphery and take them out, saw the ritual cities were all on inner Ulthuan, hit the button, and then right as I do everything goes to poo poo on the outside.

E; Also I've been avoiding military alliances like the plague after my experience in the first game. Are they handled any better here?

Hint: Don't start rituals when you are embarked on a military campaign. You continue to accumulate ritual currency even if a ritual is ready to be fired, which means you can start them at times were you are consolidating anyway.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In my first campaign as Mazdamundi, I conquered 3 provinces easily and started the first ritual. In the next five turns, I got hit by 5/6 armies, between chaos fuckers, oportunistic neighbours and intervention armies. The ritual site (Hexoatl) went unscathed, because the enemy went after easier targets and I lost 6 settlements before the ritual was finished. Now my economy is utter poo poo and I can't even afford two full stacks, so I suppose I've learned defensive buildings are even more a necessity than the first game and overextending is fatal.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
hello this is my black ark

it lets you recruit hydras

and it owns

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Walls don't fix anything you just have to expect to lose 2-4 cities every ritual and that's ok.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Finished a high elves campaign because woo day off is fun.

High elves are INCREDIBLY shooty. Insanely shooty. Watching the first few units of an enemy advance through a hail of arrows from my front line of Lothern Sea Guard w/ Shields and the archers behind them, plus the bolt thrower... yeah. That's awesome. (Then they get fire pooped on them and roasted by a dragon. Also awesome.)

Fiery Convocation is amazing with the wind spell targeting changes. Targeted well it's basically an instant rout button, ESPECIALLY against Skaven, who love to blob up. Didn't get much use out of Tempest (vortex spell that only targets flyers), because having this many archers mostly made flying units a non-issue.

All in all, High Elves were surprisingly fun. Influence is an interesting mechanic, but once I had confederated Ulthuan it seems like I just sorta stopped gaining it except occasionally. By then I had recruited and equipped my armies, but still, I would have liked to mess with it more.

Vortex rituals mechanic is pretty neat. I ended up neck and neck with Malekith through all of it, forcing me to finally rush Naggarond and kneecap his ritual to slow him down, since Interventions are near useless (unless you get lucky and they hit an already weak garrison). That was actually my favorite bit of the campaign. I didn't know if I was going to get there in time.

Game kinda owns. Can't wait for the big map.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Darkrenown posted:

I know I'm going to seem uncool playing the first game here, but I tried it out tonight. Started up as the Empire and was doing fine in the kinda tutorial vs the Secessionists, but just as I as squaring up to finish them off an Orc army turns up out of the blue and wrecks me. They wander off and raze one of my settlements and the Secessionists sally out to finish my main army off. The next turn 2 hordes of Beastmen turn up and start raiding me. While I try to build a new army the unrest from all this raiding causes a revolt, and when I field my rebuilt army the Beastmen murder it. It, uh, escalated pretty quickly.

You've seen most of what makes the Empire start hard. If you survive all that you've got Noscan raids to look forward to.

All I can advise you is to be fast. Kill the Secessionists, grab Marienburg before Bretonnia does (you can join their war with Marienburg if they are at war with them for a quick relationship boost), kill raiding beastmen and Goblins (Only Skarsniks spider has any armor). Then get ready for Norsca.

When you feel safe and stable you've got Choas beelining for you. Don't worry to much about grabbing a lot of territory. It will just leave you over extended and will get you raided by Vampires to!
You can expand your lands quickly when Chaos starts razing all your neighbours to the ground.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

V for Vegas posted:

I know they're rats but the Skaven are a bit too drab brown for me - especially next to the bright blues of the Lizardmen. Probably blasphemous but I would like a mod that brightens them up a bit, or at least gives them some more differentiation.

Juggalo Skaven please.

Or glamrock Queek Headtaker.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
So, do Lizardmen just never want to confederate or what? I'm playing with Mazdamundi, have a big rear end empire and not even one province minors with +200 relations want to confederate with me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like the Dark Elf campaign preview showed Intervention armies work best as a distraction or as back up to one of your forces. Firing and forgetting them does not seem super useful unless you get lucky.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

:argh: This randomly spawning Chaos army with hellcanons is the most bullshit thing imaginable. They really need to not have siege engines so you have time to respond, because they just randomly loving spawn. Who the hell thought this was fun? If you get unlucky you just lose huge swaths of settlements. Also apparently just by losing one city my income went from +4k to -12k. :psyduck: So I'm pretty much hosed.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Gotta wonder how much of Tyrion's popularity here might be down to a certain other Tyrion's popularity.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drunk in Space posted:

Gotta wonder how much of Tyrion's popularity here might be down to a certain other Tyrion's popularity.

He has a traditional looking faction (Elves) whose is easy to understand (shoot people with bows), an "easy" start and is a melee lord, who were often more fun in the first game - it's obvious why people are playing him first.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Drunk in Space posted:

I reckon he gets quite a lot of that from being the most regular hero dude of the playable lords and also has a fairly easy start.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Drunk in Space posted:

I remember reading years ago that most Mass Effect players chose default-appearance male soldier for their character. People really love the safe, generic warrior dude option in games

peer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 29, 2017

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Those are all true, but at the same time, I'm sure many casuals will be far more familiar with the GoT name (even though Warhams Tyrion came first iirc), which probably helped boost those numbers somewhat.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
He's also the first hero on the left and the game defaults to him being selected. A good portion of people just hit start game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who the hell are all these elf-lovers?

GaussianCopula posted:

He has a traditional looking faction (Elves) whose is easy to understand (shoot people with bows), an "easy" start and is a melee lord, who were often more fun in the first game - it's obvious why people are playing him first.
But he's not a dinosaur. :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Safety Factor posted:

Who the hell are all these elf-lovers?

Brudda if you like killing elfs, Tyrion is a strong step in that direction.

Tyrion playthrough was great, uniting Ulthuan takes a LONG time because the armies are actually pretty expensive, but man high elfs are fun. Don't get to fight nearly enough skaven and man it's annoying how when you start a ritual, full stacks just appear out of thin air at different parts of Ulthuan. Cool, I love resettling razed ruins.

Can't wait for mods!

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Does the AI explore shipwrecks and suchlike? I'm finding quite a few of them as I sail about the place, including ones almost right outside AI ports. Given that the rewards you get for them can be pretty staggering (I've had multiple ones with +10 000 gold, as well as a plethora of magic items), it seems like it puts the AI at a huge disadvantage if they're not trying to nab them too.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

William Bear posted:

60GB should leave you comfortable including patches and DLC. I think I read that earlier.
Does it still do that dumb thing where you need twice the actual space it takes up because when it patches it copies the entire game to a new folder first?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

So, do Lizardmen just never want to confederate or what? I'm playing with Mazdamundi, have a big rear end empire and not even one province minors with +200 relations want to confederate with me.

I did have Tlaqua confederate with me as Kroq Gar, but there were down to one province when this happened.

Kroq Gar obrservations:

-Weirdest thing is that, somehow, on hard, my basic Skink cohorts beat the everloving poo poo out of Crypt fiends. This would never happen in tabletop, and is certainly a surprising outcome in the computer game, but it happens all the time vs the AI. What I think happens is that the AI seeks to disengange the Crypt fiends and charge in again, but because Skinks have 48 or so movement speed, the disengaging doesnt work because the Skinks pursue, and the AI just lets its expensive cryptfiends walk back awkwardly while the Skinks shove sticks up their rear end with a juicy "attack from the rear!" bonus.

-Money is really tight early on. My advice is to farm rebels. It gives you important level ups (Kroq Gar is level 34 in turn 75) and also money, and lizards have extra buildings they want to build anyway to get more loot.

-A Saurus Oldblood with a bunch of Skinks is cheap, can colonize ruins, kill rebels and pop wrecks etc..

-Skink priests are probably the best hero mages in the game. Why? Simple, they get to ride an Ancient stegadon eventually. This makes them better melee combatants then most melee heroes, while also being able to shoot things, and being able to cast stuff. And well, casting short range spells is way less risky if you ride a Stegadon.

-My Main army is Kroq Gar on a Carnosaur, starting skink priest on an ancient steg, another ancient Steg I got from a sacred spawning, the feral steg you start with and a Scarvet who was event spawned (he also rides a Carnosaur). I put them in a seperate control group and just bulldoze stuff because nothing can stand up to these 5 Lizard wrecking ball (on a very tight frontage) they blast a hole through the enemies line, and then go for the rear of stuff engaged with my Saurus mainline. The thing is, I get a pretty fat dinosaur grouping without actually investing in dinosaur generating buildings.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zephro posted:

Does it still do that dumb thing where you need twice the actual space it takes up because when it patches it copies the entire game to a new folder first?
Yes. That's an issue with how Steam patches the game.
If space is a problem, create a new Steam library on a different drive. Steam should use that one if it runs out of space on the game's drive.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Quick warning: When doing a Ritual, the game will apparently pick eligible ritual sites semi-randomly from all cities you own. Imagine my surprise when I started a ritual with the expectation everything would be going down in my secure homeland, only to have one of the ritual sites be the recently-conquered Lothern halfway across the world. Quite a bit of the campaign seems to discourage wide expansion in favour for raiding and diplomacy.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Raygereio posted:

Yes. That's an issue with how Steam patches the game.
If space is a problem, create a new Steam library on a different drive. Steam should use that one if it runs out of space on the game's drive.
Thanks - so if I get it from not-Steam, can I avoid that problem?

I'd want to put it on my SSD, but it's only 256gb and I want to keep some other games on there too.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zephro posted:

Thanks - so if I get it from not-Steam, can I avoid that problem?
I'd want to put it on my SSD, but it's only 256gb and I want to keep some other games on there too.
If you get it from not-steam Arch Grand Commodore Luthor Harkon will come and collect your for his crew.

Get a cheap HDD with more then enough space on it if you don't already have one, create a second Steam library on it and you should be setup just fine for future patching.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 29, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Perestroika posted:

Quick warning: When doing a Ritual, the game will apparently pick eligible ritual sites semi-randomly from all cities you own. Imagine my surprise when I started a ritual with the expectation everything would be going down in my secure homeland, only to have one of the ritual sites be the recently-conquered Lothern halfway across the world. Quite a bit of the campaign seems to discourage wide expansion in favour for raiding and diplomacy.

Yeah which is v odd combined with the map that separates all the factions from each other

That and the already pretty drat slow turn times are my only critiques so far. Ultimate campaign is going to be unplayable if they don't optimised the turn times fiercely

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So I've got two stacks holding back the Delves while Mazdamundi wraps up the eastern half of Lustria (Teclis somehow conquered it, and he will just not gently caress off). I beat an army of 12 hydras (and eight other units). The next turn, Morathi comes out of the fog with another full stack. This one has eight hydras in it. loving elves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I would rather build hydras over the dark elf dragon

they are that good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bunch of things I've learned:

- So far I think rushing rituals is a fool's game, what with the AI willing to use intervention forces to shut you down. If your rituals are in a particularly tough-to-defend cluster of cities, you're probably better off consolidating your position first.

- That said, since intervention forces are spawned in a single stack, the Skaven get particularly hosed since they have such crap units. Conversely, a high-level Lizardmen stack I tried out came with like 10 Stegadons and could've probably wiped Clan Mors on its own. This poo poo is particularly important in relation to the above point: getting a high-level Elf/Lizard stack dropped on you when you just have early-midgame units available suuuuuucks.

- That mission where you're tasked to take the Golden Tower province as Kroq-gar despite it being held by a Lizardmen faction? It's not a trap; it not only houses a plaque generator site, but also a special building that gives you 600 GPT, a research bonus, 2 Temple Guard garrison units, and boosts income from neighboring regions on top of all of that for a 2-turn, 2k investment. You can effectively turn it into a powerful chokepoint while you expand through the coastline.

- I hope I'm not mistaken, but it appears the Greenskins in the mountains can't Underway to the coastline, so that's good. Still, you'll probably end up building a garrison anyway for those ritual spawns.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Plavski posted:

He's also the first hero on the left and the game defaults to him being selected. A good portion of people just hit start game.

This was a significant factor in me deciding to start with him. Start at the left and go right with the first hwei, then again with the second. Should be fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is Morathi actually good? I kind of want to get in on this crazy crossbow machine gun thing elfs have going.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The campaign ai does seem a bit dumber in this one. I've had several two stack invasion forces rock up, only for one to besiege a city and the other go raid out of reinforcement range. Which is great for hilarious curbstomping, but detracts from the challenge.

It does build better cities and armies, so it's a shame that it doesn't use them well. I played most of 1 on normal and I've had no trouble playing Teclis on hard in this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Is Morathi actually good? I kind of want to get in on this crazy crossbow machine gun thing elfs have going.

morathi pros
you don't want to sleep with your son
all dark elves like you
you can be a mage or fighter
you spread chaos

morathi cons
your son wants to sleep with you
all dark elves like you
your people need chaos taint in their lands
you start in NOT Texas and need to take over the south and NOT MEXICO

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think the worst part of morathi is how long it takes to get a single black ark and how vunerable it is for a long while

that and you can't take over NOT california without having serious penalties

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

NewMars posted:

I really hope the fact that there's all the old world races represented lets us play as them on the vortex campaign map at some point, I mean, a lot of the possible starts look like they could be really interesting, strategically and allow for some pretty neat variants. Some examples:

Vampire coast for Pirate-themed Vampire Counts.

Sudenberg/New World Colonies for colonial-themed Empire.

One of the orders in Araby for Crusader-themed Brettonians.

vampire coast seems likely, they had an army list or two in some supplemental material published by GW and their actual canon leader (Luther Harkon) is mysteriously absent

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i need a new pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always like to imagine the big suit of armor isn't just because Malekith burned himself by Bad Decisions, but because his mom is making him wear a helmet since the last time she left him unattended he walked into a fire.