Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Konig posted:

1) Tried starting on normal but my FPS skills are extremely lacking on the PS4 (and the PC to be honest) and I end up taking crazy damage against anything I don't savescum and super prepare for. Does this ease up with more skillz or should I drop to easy and just enjoy the ride?

Prey isn't really about FPS skills. Stealth and awareness of your surroundings is what's really vital. If you're careful you can frequently find things in the environment to help take out enemies. Instead of getting in a shootout with a phantom try tossing an explosive canister at them or setting up a turret trap. And you don't have to fight every enemy you run across. In some encounters you might be able to get whatever you need from an area without tangling with the enemies. Running is also a viable tactic. There are some areas like vents where enemies won't chase you and you can lock many of the doors to buy you time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Thanks guys, restarted and have managed to take out a phantom without getting hit or wasting heaps of ammo, planning really is key! Onwards I go.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gobblecoque posted:

Prey isn't really about FPS skills.

I dunno, man, upgrading the weapons and combat stuff and doing a doomguy run was pretty awesome and cathartic after a no needles run

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It also doesn't require "FPS skills" on the part of the player for the most part. It's got the power fantasy bit without much of the actual challenge bits because the enemies are so limited in what they can do (and what they can do is stuff you usually deal with through locking them down or surprising them rather than trying to circle-strafe and stuff, even if you're playing Doomishly)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The Nightmare is one of my biggest gripes with the game. Even if it could better navigate the levels and actually pose a challenge past the halfway mark of the game, I just find the idea kind of...dumb. Entering a different area and not knowing if you'll have to deal with the Nightmare upon loading in just get's annoying after awhile.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Nightmare is one of my biggest gripes with the game. Even if it could better navigate the levels and actually pose a challenge past the halfway mark of the game, I just find the idea kind of...dumb. Entering a different area and not knowing if you'll have to deal with the Nightmare upon loading in just get's annoying after awhile.

Honestly, its that it can load directly in your face and immediately start attacking you that's the dumb part. If it never spawned while you were loading in, and gave you slightly longer time between "Nightmare comin'" and "Nightmare in your face" they could increase its lethality quite a bit without seeming unfair because they'd also have increased your ability to prepare or flee. Also, fix its inability to crawl through vents, goddamn.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Are sound levels completely hosed up for anyone else? The voice track is like 5x as loud as anything else even when i adjust it separately

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the sound mixing in this game is borked and I couldn't get that loudspeaker voice not to yell at three times the volume of a gun loud enough to cause instant hearing damage in real life

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, I just finished up meandering through crew quarters. At least until I go back for the treasure hunt, I've got 2 of the pieces so far.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Digirat posted:

Yeah the sound mixing in this game is borked and I couldn't get that loudspeaker voice not to yell at three times the volume of a gun loud enough to cause instant hearing damage in real life

You can shut off the PSAs in the captain's office in the Bridge!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vakal posted:

I started my replay today as well and so far I spent most of my playtime dragging the single explosive tank from the simulation room up to the second floor of the neuromod lobby area on a staircase made of gloo just so I could knock over the barricade to get into the volunteer barracks slightly earlier than normal.

wait, what? I thought the volunteer quarters are sealed off until you get to your office the first time?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

double nine posted:

wait, what? I thought the volunteer quarters are sealed off until you get to your office the first time?

I don't even think Psychotronics is locked beyond visiting your office.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Maya Fey posted:

Are sound levels completely hosed up for anyone else? The voice track is like 5x as loud as anything else even when i adjust it separately

Yeah, the sound in this game is kinda hosed and honestly if they haven't fixed it by now they probably never will.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't even think Psychotronics is locked beyond visiting your office.

I think you have to get the keycard from January first, unless there's something I've been missing. You have to go to Hardware Labs first and get the jetpack so you can move around zero G, then you get general access and you can roam around.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The PC monitor closest to the door has the door lock function open, which conveniently divides the screen in half between "lock" and "unlock" (iirc, all other remote unlocking screens have much smaller buttons, probably because Psychotronics was meant as a primer). As soon as you get the nerf gun you can shoot the door open and enter Psychotronics.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The PC monitor closest to the door has the door lock function open, which conveniently divides the screen in half between "lock" and "unlock" (iirc, all other remote unlocking screens have much smaller buttons, probably because Psychotronics was meant as a primer). As soon as you get the nerf gun you can shoot the door open and enter Psychotronics.

The screen-locked door is close enough to the window that you can break the window, crouch on the window sill, and just push it. But there is another door further back, tied to the actual loading screen, past which you need the 'General Access' card from January.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I also take it Grant Lockwood doesn't spawn out in space until you start his side quest later?

I wanted to get the rocket jump augment for some early game shenanigans, but had no luck finding his body.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vakal posted:

I also take it Grant Lockwood doesn't spawn out in space until you start his side quest later?

I wanted to get the rocket jump augment for some early game shenanigans, but had no luck finding his body.

you can get to him first time you exit hardware labs, no problem. It's how I made the no-powers run bearable. From the power plant airlock exit, if "up" is "towards arboretum" turn right 90° (away from the station) he should be about half-way towards the next spinning shield thing, beyond the radiation.

here's a picture of the station from his body. Just fly backwards and try to match the view of the station with the one in the picture

https://imgur.com/a/G6JYm

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just wanted to remark on how much I enjoy the changing environments and escalation of danger in this game. It really feels like the station is coming apart and the sense of "gently caress, there aren't enough bullets on the station to shoot my way out of this" is crucial for maintaining the later-game tension.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

double nine posted:

here's a picture of the station from his body. Just fly backwards and try to match the view of the station with the one in the picture

https://imgur.com/a/G6JYm

Weird, I though I checked that area but couldn't find him. Maybe once you have the sidequest active the game is a little more generous with how close you have to be before it waypoints the body.

Thanks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

the black husserl posted:

Just wanted to remark on how much I enjoy the changing environments and escalation of danger in this game. It really feels like the station is coming apart and the sense of "gently caress, there aren't enough bullets on the station to shoot my way out of this" is crucial for maintaining the later-game tension.

I don't know about that, after a human only run where I was recycling most of my psi hypos and all the extra weapons lying around I'm pretty sure I could have crafted enough shotgun shells to at least put a good hurting (end game spoiler) on the Apex Typhon

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's up with the endings? I first did the Nullwave thing because it seemed to make the most sense, despite what January was saying. But going the other way had the exact same result other than the different 5-second video, same for escaping in Alex's pod vs going to the shuttle had no impact either. Although I rescued Alex by dragging him inside when poo poo goes down, he doesn't show up at the bridge, not that that would make a difference. Obviously restarting and just murdering everyone would change what the operators say at the end, but that's it, isn't it? I enjoyed the game but I'm not looking to spend another 20+ hours to find out right now.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The "kill everyone" ending is the operators and Alex all basically saying "welp this one sucked and didn't work at all like we hoped, better luck next time" and then they agree to kill you and keep trying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel like Dead Space did the "invasion of the gribblies" thing with the station changing over time much better, but I like it in this game as well. It's cool to return to an area you've been to before only to find it covered in the stringy typhon goop all over the place.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Game is really great. Sound-wise, I find the mix fine. In fact it's one of the only triple A titles I've played in recent years where you can still hear people properly without having to loving stare right at them, as if it was immersive to have some kind of tunnel hearing. One of my few sound gripes with Prey is that they have map based sound-triggers, but they never disable, so you can just run down that same staircase in Arboretum ten times and get the 'nails on violin' every single time. It's a little wearing.

My favourite surprise sound related thing? I love Alex's voice. It's just so pleasingly...different? Aaaand I went and looked it up and he's Wong in Doctor Strange. And starred in an unrelated TV Series called Prey in 2014. Weird.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Jeza posted:

My favourite surprise sound related thing? I love Alex's voice. It's just so pleasingly...different? Aaaand I went and looked it up and he's Wong in Doctor Strange. And starred in an unrelated TV Series called Prey in 2014. Weird.

He's a really great actor, crazy watchable. He a played a fantastic Kublai Khan on that otherwise not-so-good Marco Polo that was on Netflix.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jeza posted:

Watch the Marco Polo show on Netflix some time. Benedict Wong plays Kublai Khan in it and is amazing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Although I rescued Alex by dragging him inside when poo poo goes down, he doesn't show up at the bridge, not that that would make a difference.

Did you lock the door after you left his room? I don't think it counts as a rescue if you didn't.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Did you lock the door after you left his room? I don't think it counts as a rescue if you didn't.

Yes, you have to close the door after putting Alex back in his hidey-hole. You'll know you did it right because he immediately wakes up and calls you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nope, I don't think I did, thanks. Should be pretty easy to do assuming he's still floating around unconscious in his bunker.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Also, do not use the electro-shock power around him, as unlike every other human I knocked unconscious with it, he apparently has a heart attack and dies or something. Which to be fair, is honestly pretty clever if it was designed that way. You can find an email from the fitness center lady in his office, haranguing him for skipping out on the regular fitness tests for the 5th time.

I discovered this when I simultaneously earned the achievements for killing Alex & January.

Having completed the game with Human-only and Typhon-only mods, all that remains is a No Needles run. I haven't yet decided whether I want to be bothered with it. It would be easier on the inventory than a Typhon-only run since you can just dump Spare Parts and Psi-Amps into the Recycler for more ammo/medkits. However, dealing with Weavers, Technopaths and Telepaths would just be an unbelievable pain in the rear end.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rangpur posted:

Having completed the game with Human-only and Typhon-only mods, all that remains is a No Needles run. I haven't yet decided whether I want to be bothered with it. It would be easier on the inventory than a Typhon-only run since you can just dump Spare Parts and Psi-Amps into the Recycler for more ammo/medkits. However, dealing with Weavers, Technopaths and Telepaths would just be an unbelievable pain in the rear end.

A fully upgraded Disrupter gun will take out a Technopath in a couple of shots, and a pistol with maxed out fire rate is basically a small smg and will shred weavers and telepaths no problem.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You can't fully upgrade weapons on a No Needles run. I went all human my first run and if anything it's easier than Typhon only mods, even without spamming Combat Focus.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Rangpur posted:

You can't fully upgrade weapons on a No Needles run. I went all human my first run and if anything it's easier than Typhon only mods, even without spamming Combat Focus.

yeah, I did no needles as my first run. you learn to sneak and sprint a lot. plus skipping entire side plots like the cook

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

See, I'd probably follow that sub-plot to a point, if only so I could get my hands on the Q-Beam. Without using any Neuromods, I think the only one available is inside the freezer.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from using the stun gun (or a pistol) on him as soon as the freezer is unlocked! :v:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Very end game spoilers
Can you blow up the station if you've already set the null device thing? I went and set the arming keys but i don't get any option to destroy the station when I get back to the bridge

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

Very end game spoilers
Can you blow up the station if you've already set the null device thing? I went and set the arming keys but i don't get any option to destroy the station when I get back to the bridge

Nope. Check around the bridge, but it is a binary choice.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Nope, I don't think I did, thanks. Should be pretty easy to do assuming he's still floating around unconscious in his bunker.

As long as you haven't left the map yet, you should be fine. The first time I played I tried to haul Alex with me to the Lobby exit. As soon as the new map loaded I got the notification that he was dead.

I don't know if there's anything that can hurt unconscious Alex. Any common enemies that were in the map go into stasis when the poo poo happens.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rangpur posted:

See, I'd probably follow that sub-plot to a point, if only so I could get my hands on the Q-Beam. Without using any Neuromods, I think the only one available is inside the freezer.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from using the stun gun (or a pistol) on him as soon as the freezer is unlocked! :v:

There's one in GUTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh right, I forgot about Josh Dalton's whole deal. Thing with that is, it means spending more time in GUTS, which is not a good time even when you are using Neuromods.