Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Strudel Man posted:

:aaa: Good lord. Are some people just born without a moral center or what.

socio/psychopaths i forget which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.statesman.com/news/national/police-year-old-tried-kill-infant-niece-lacing-breast-milk-with-excedrin/EZJXrh5U2pNyxXpJrudWHM/

Police: 19-year-old tried to kill infant niece by lacing breast milk with Excedrin

Woman decides to poison her brother's 11-week-old daughter as a way of getting "even" with him. Brags about it on her cellphone to her boyfriend. Gets caught red-handed, milk is tested and proves to have lethal dose of Excedrin crushed up in it, (Mom found the bottle and never gave it to the baby, baby is fine) now she's on the run from the law and wanted for attempted murder.

I derive no joy out of a woman who tried to murder an 11 week old child.... Until she's caught and sentenced to a decade in prison.

snergle posted:

socio/psychopaths i forget which one

Sociopaths

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

I derive no joy out of a woman who tried to murder an 11 week old child.... Until she's caught and sentenced to a decade in prison.

Sociopaths

Haven't read the story, but that seems short for attempted infanticide.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.statesman.com/news/national/police-year-old-tried-kill-infant-niece-lacing-breast-milk-with-excedrin/EZJXrh5U2pNyxXpJrudWHM/

Police: 19-year-old tried to kill infant niece by lacing breast milk with Excedrin

Woman decides to poison her brother's 11-week-old daughter as a way of getting "even" with him. Brags about it on her cellphone to her boyfriend. Gets caught red-handed, milk is tested and proves to have lethal dose of Excedrin crushed up in it, (Mom found the bottle and never gave it to the baby, baby is fine) now she's on the run from the law and wanted for attempted murder.

quote:

The toxicologist told investigators that the milk contained the equivalent of nine Excedrin tablets, enough to kill an adult, the Journal Gazette reported.
You can die from taking nine Excedrin? I thought all that over-the-counter stuff was weak enough that you could take a whole bottle and just get sick and throw it all back up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

You can die from taking nine Excedrin? I thought all that over-the-counter stuff was weak enough that you could take a whole bottle and just get sick and throw it all back up.

Anything over 4,000 mg/24hours can be dangerous for an adult (that's about 8 tablets), usually 10,000 mg is considered lethal. 9 tablets would be 4,500mg. While children can metabolize more mg/kg than an adult, that overkill for an infant. Plus liver failure is an extremely painful way to die.

Also, anything that taxes the liver will reduce the amount needed, which is why you generally don't want to be drinking a lot if you're taking more than a tablet or two per day.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Knormal posted:

Nah, acetaminophen will gently caress you up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also liver damage is cumulative over time, so there's that..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Knormal posted:

You can’t take a whole bottle but eleven pills probably won’t kill an adult with no underlying conditions.

The aspirin content will kill before the paracetamol.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still upset about 96.5 in Orlando being turned from a rock radio station to a simulcast AM talk radio station, but the one thing I won't miss is Bubba the Love Sponge every weekday morning. I dreaded hearing "Voodoo Child" play on the radio in high school because it meant:

1. I need to get up in a few minutes.

2. Bubba is coming on.

That man's voice is like a sandpaper chainsaw when you're just waking up. It's all Howard Stern clone bits that inevitably end with Bubba and his bros in the station screaming over the person on the line before disconnecting.

Orlando goon! :hfive:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

You can’t take a whole bottle but eleven pills probably won’t kill an adult with no underlying conditions.

The aspirin content will kill before the paracetamol.

poo poo I'M A MORON, NVM

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
It's not even that. Excedrin contains caffeine, which is why it's good for headaches. 65mg per capsule. 9 caps of Excedrin would be nearly 600mg of caffeine which is about 150% the daily recommended dose for an adult. Kids under 13 are recommended to stay under 100mg. So giving a fuckin' baby the equivalent of 3 cans of Monster would be pretty bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Aspirin will kill you deader than poo poo if you are not careful and it's not even a really high number like greater than > 1500 mg can kill you if you take it at once and there is really gently caress all that can be done. If I am remembering right a type of carbonate can reverse the effects but otherwise yeah people who try to overdose on aspirin are usually really successful.

If Aspirin were invented now it'd require a prescription. Its just flat out a amazing drug.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
yeah there's kind of a reason I'm incredibly paranoid about taking Aspirin et al for my headaches, I'd really rather not accidentally overdise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zipperelli. posted:

Its a matter of time at this point. She's already on the lam, the authorities have dead-to-rights evidence and they're on a manhunt, and she's clearly no criminal mastermind.

Knormal posted:

You realize advil can kill you, right? Just about everything is lethal in some dose, its just a few things the dose is massive. But basically any painkiller will REALLY kill that pain if you take too much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

yeah there's kind of a reason I'm incredibly paranoid about taking Aspirin et al for my headaches, I'd really rather not accidentally overdise.

You would have to accidentally take like four times the normal dose all at once to be in danger of overdosing on aspirin.

You know how in Max Payne every time you take damage you crunch an entire bottle of painkillers into your mouth to fix the problem? Don't do that irl.

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight

Grem posted:

I want to meet whoever Australia hired to name this thing.

Goddammit, they could have just named it ASER

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

bows1 posted:

Clear Channel and iHeartRadio are the same thing btw. Clear Channel as a brand name only exists for their Outdoor dept. But they are all under the umbrella of iHeartMedia, Inc.

You can find extra schad on IHeartMedia's wikipedia page. The have massive debt and "on April 20th, 2017, the company warned investors that it may not survive over the next 10 months."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Diversity is the key to avoiding property pain

quote:

Imagine paying nearly $50,000 a year in council rates on top of mortgage repayments for properties that no one wants to rent.

That's the position that real estate agent and investor, Bella Exposito finds herself in after going all in and buying up 19 properties in the Queensland mining town of Moranbah.

Some property commentators blame speculators for driving prices dramatically higher

Gee, you loving think? "I know, I'll buy up a bunch of property in a market where the mining workers are forced to live, and then when the mining industry goes bust and my properties lose 70% of their value, I'll do nothing but whinge and sook about it".

quote:

Homes that were once fetching as much as $4000 a week, are now lucky to be tenanted for $500 a week.

If you were ever charging four thousand dollars a week to live in a rural town with less than 10,000 people living in it, then I have nothing but contempt for you and will take a great deal of joy in the fact you're probably hosed right now.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Knormal posted:

Yeah, as hosed up as our drug regime is, weed is basically the only drug you can't overdose on. Sure you can get really loving stoned and puke your brains out while thinking there are demons around you, but you won't die from it.

Yet there it is.

im pro weed by the way, but some edibles are loving beyond what they should be if you're dumb enough to eat a whole bar

DiggityDoink has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Euphoriaphone posted:

You can find extra schad on IHeartMedia's wikipedia page. The have massive debt and "on April 20th, 2017, the company warned investors that it may not survive over the next 10 months."

:toot: :hitler:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/UWbxdMN.gifv

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Blogger who claimed she beat cancer with 'healthy eating' fined more than $400,000 over lies

quote:

An Australian cookbook author who falsely said she beat cancer through healthy eating has been fined for misleading consumers by lying about her charitable donations.

The judge had ruled in March that Belle Gibson’s deceptive claims of donating the proceeds from the sales of The Whole Pantry and a related app constituted unconscionable conduct under Australian consumer law.

Despite Gibson saying “a large part of everything the company earns is now donated to charities,” only A$10,000 of the earnings of A$420,000 from her company Inkerman Road Nominees went to charity. The company is now in liquidation.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:eyepop: looney tunes was a documentary

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

There was a 60 minutes interview with her some years ago that's super cringy because she is so obviously lying.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

You realize advil can kill you, right? Just about everything is lethal in some dose, its just a few things the dose is massive. But basically any painkiller will REALLY kill that pain if you take too much.
Yeah I know too much of pretty much anything can kill you, but I thought one of the things that separated over-the-counter from prescription was that unless there was some outside intervention the body's reaction was to puke all the pills back up before you could process enough to kill you. Like once you started getting sick from the pills your body would just "Nope" them all out of you, and you'd just end up with a hosed up liver for the rest of your life. Who knew suicide was so cheap and easily accessible? Well, everyone but me apparently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raised a lot of money for charity and spent it on expensive holidays, luxury cars and cosmetic surgery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Raised a lot of money for charity and spent it on expensive holidays, luxury cars and cosmetic surgery.

.... and quite likely convinced some cancer patients that they should follow alternative treatments such as "eating healthy" instead of conventional treatments such as chemotherapy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What motivates these people? Is it all ego? Is it mental illness? Do any of them genuinely believe they're doing good?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... and quite likely convinced some cancer patients that they should follow alternative treatments such as "eating healthy" instead of conventional treatments such as chemotherapy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Ainscough

quote:

"Her funeral was attended by Belle Gibson, who falsely claimed to have cured cancer through alternative therapies."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wheat Loaf posted:

What motivates these people? Is it all ego? Is it mental illness? Do any of them genuinely believe they're doing good?

Combination of delusions and ego. She thought she had cancer because she Web MD'd herself into thinking she had it, then she "lived clean" or whatever for a few months then she got tested and didn't (ever) have it. So she decides based on this that whatever diet/lifestyle she followed "cured" her "cancer" with zero basis in reality. Then evidence presented itself in the form of dead disciples, but she doubled down instead of coming clean, because her ego wouldn't let her admit how dreadfully, fatally wrong she really was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a surprisingly large goon population in Orlando!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Iron Crowned posted:

Which "type" of station does that show up on?

Classic Rock or Country. Which is part of the reason why it's so goddamn common around the state, since that's like 70% of the radio market. Tragic part is, they actually weren't a bad show in the early/mid 90s, but now they're still recycling the same old bits for 10 seconds at a time between 38 Special songs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Woman Oozing Purple Liquid From Eye Due To Botched Tattoo

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/28/purple-eye-tattoo/
:nms: PICS MAY BE A BIT DISTURBING :nms:

quote:

Catt Gallinger, 24, of Ottawa, Canada says she decided to get a sclera tattoo about four weeks ago. The procedure changes the color of the whites around your eye.

But weeks after the procedure, her eye started oozing purple liquid.

quote:

According to The Sun, surgeons say her sclera tore from the size of needle used, depth and amount of ink inserted. Doctors were also concerned that the equipment was not sterile and that there is an infection stuck in with the excess ink, she said.

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How are they going to fix this? Just suck the ink and infection out of her eye with some super precise little vacuum thing? I'm more curious about how they'll fix it than the story behind it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

How are they going to fix this? Just suck the ink and infection out of her eye with some super precise little vacuum thing? I'm more curious about how they'll fix it than the story behind it.

I did some more googling after I found out people really do this. My understanding is there is no fix. Either they heal or they get blind (or worse). Some have had to have their eyeballs scooped out because the ink wasn't diluted enough and infection could not be stopped (although I haven't found a specific case on that, it's all anecdotal so far).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"Nurr hurr hurr i'm gonna get ink injected into my loving eyeball by Big Rusty for fifteen bucks!"
"oh gee something bad happened, who could have foreseen this"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just get some colored contacts god drat

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Just get some colored contacts god drat

But then my bad decision can't haunt me for the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I didn't even click the link and I'm trying not to claw my eyes out right now.