Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I love the Pawn system, and I'd hate it if they switched entirely to co-op. I like people hiring my pawn who comes back with a compliment and may have learned something new. I like discovering cool-looking pawns who may have weird playstyles and seeing how they work in different party combos. I like being able to pause or wander off track without having some dipshit stranger named Frodo Faggins trying to teabag me.

Sidenote: is there going to be another Goon spreadsheet for us to all add each other for the new release? I've still got a ton on my friends list from the PS3 days, but it would be cool to have someone update it for the new generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The ideal sequel would allow you to co-op with someone else who is also able to bring their own group of pawns along. All the 'aughts you could possibly want!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Four-person co-op where each person gets their requisite three pawns. I want my eardrums to blow out on my first encounter with a wolf as twelve pawns in unison shout to inform me that wolves hunt in packs, Arisen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You carefully try to herd them away from the chained gorecyclops but can only watch in horror as your swarm of mentally disabled pikmin all close in on its ankle.

Eliirae
Mar 30, 2011
Followed by twelve bodies in unison flying into the air, shouting "Ugh, what a gaffe!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
should be able to invade someone's game in place of your pawn like metal gear solid 5 defending your FOB

like obviously you're friendly or whatever but it's explicitly designed to be one of those cool unicorn moments

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Create maelstroms on the host and blind them forever

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This would be an awesome game for Souls-style invasions because of how dark it gets at night. The host would have to go into paranoia mode.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Digirat posted:

You're not thinking big enough. There was one time, and only one time this ever occurred, that when a harpy grabbed me and I broke free and was falling, my pawn was able to catch me before I hit the ground.

Knowing this now, you now have the knowledge that pawns are fully capable of grabbing the arisen.

now we'll see once and for all who's boss of the gym :discourse:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunethex posted:

You're not thinking big enough. There was one time, and only one time this ever occurred, that when a harpy grabbed me and I broke free and was falling, my pawn was able to catch me before I hit the ground.

Knowing this now, you now have the knowledge that pawns are fully capable of grabbing the arisen.

now we'll see once and for all who's boss of the gym :discourse:

Well I know what I'm going to spend hours doing when this comes out next week!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm surprised they've never tried to get revenge for all the times I've thrown them off cliffs and buildings

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I make sure to pretty much always do a quick pig toss with pawns I hire.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
"I've learned new ways to fight their ilk", said one pawn right after I shot an enemy bandit in the face with Lyncean Sight.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
It's been a couple of years since I made one so I think I did this right: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lUyXgocroAVa6dR06-6dO3NgWH44tBa_zzvQrargbKg/edit?usp=sharing

New ps4/xb1 pawn sharing doc.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I make sure to pretty much always do a quick pig toss with pawns I hire.

In a better world there exists a Dragon's Dogma / Black & White hybrid game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I got to the second section of Bitterblack and suddenly I'm not breaking through any enemy's defenses with my normal attacks at all. And i've got like 1500 attack on my daggers which is not low, I don't think! Is this just a message to go grind more in the everfall, idiot, or...? That's what I'm doing (I didn't actually do any everfall before going to BBI so it's not boring) but it seems like the best way to get more attack is new weapons, and to get any better weapon than my dragon daggers i'd have to progress further in BBI, which I can't do because I don't deal any real damage there now. Is this a weird balance hole that I've fallen into or am I really just meant to be higher level? I'm in the 60s currently.

I did also switch so assassin for the maximum str gains so I should get through this with not much trouble but it just seems like a weirdly huge defense increase for the enemies which is why I'm asking.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

I got to the second section of Bitterblack and suddenly I'm not breaking through any enemy's defenses with my normal attacks at all. And i've got like 1500 attack on my daggers which is not low, I don't think! Is this just a message to go grind more in the everfall, idiot, or...? That's what I'm doing (I didn't actually do any everfall before going to BBI so it's not boring) but it seems like the best way to get more attack is new weapons, and to get any better weapon than my dragon daggers i'd have to progress further in BBI, which I can't do because I don't deal any real damage there now. Is this a weird balance hole that I've fallen into or am I really just meant to be higher level? I'm in the 60s currently.

I did also switch so assassin for the maximum str gains so I should get through this with not much trouble but it just seems like a weirdly huge defense increase for the enemies which is why I'm asking.

Recommended level for completing BBI on normal is around level 80, if you are having difficulty and haven't gotten to BBI's first boss yet, I would recommend going back to the Everfall for gear/levels. If you have gotten past the first BBI boss, you're fine, just decrypt whatever Weapon LVL2 you find(Cursed Bite is really good if you had some levels in magic). Also make sure you're popping Pilgrim Charm's for every encounter you are doing, the extra money and experience adds up fast.

E: sorry just woke up, I see now you HAVE beaten the first boss. Farm corrupted pawns for experience, they give like 1000 and you fight like 20 at time.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Amppelix posted:

So, some things that may help more immediately than level grinding if you haven't done them yet:
  • Obtaining and equipping the Rank 10 Fighter/Warrior Augments. They boost your base strength by 10 and 20% respectively and may be just what you need to punch through enemy defenses.
  • Using the Assassin Augments that boost damage at night/when you have no pawns. They're fairly sizable boosts and may also push you over.
  • Conqueror's Periaps. If you saved Fournival during the Trial quest then he'll be selling an infinite amount of them (you'll have to wait for him to wander down into the common quarter in Gran Soren so you don't get swamped by the guards). Each Periap boosts the relevant stat by 20% and they stack up to 4x, multiplicatively too (so with 4 you end up with 208% of your normal strength). But even one may be enough to let you deal damage.
  • If the above isn't an option you can rely on other powerful items. Dragon's Spit (fairly weak but good for applying burning and they're not too expensive), Throwblasts (waaaaay stronger than the former; they're the cornerstone of your offense if you're trying to beat BBI without ever progressing in the main story), Bomb Arrows (like Throwblasts but for arrows), the various debuff-afflicting items (remember than one side quest that gave you 80x skulls? yeah it's not as useless of a reward as you may have thought. Throw them at an enemy and they inflict Curse, reducing their defenses by 50%. And curse works on a surprisingly large amount of enemies, even a lot of bosses!).

Oh and if you need to grind for DCP for Augments just hire two Sage Pawns and stand on top of the wall in the Noble Quarter. The guards will infinitely swarm around you but will never be able to reach you, while your pawns annihilate them. They're the most efficient enemies for DCP.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah I already got Clout and, uhh, the assassin one thanks exactly to that discipline powerleveling trick. By going solo I was actually able to scratch an eliminator that spawned in Gransys thanks to one of the BBI quests, but it still seems like I'm doing weirdly low damage compared to how dangerous these enemies actually are to me. I mean if I have a reasonable strength stat, an alright level, and the best possible physical daggers I can have (without purifying Level 2/3 weapons), shouldn't I at least be able to do something against these guys without relying on some sort of conditional buff? My attack stat with all these things combined is 1500-something which, as I said, seems pretty drat high. I guess must be a symptom of going with the class that's supposed to do low damage but do it fast? If you can't do any damage at all well the second part doesn't matter that much now does it.

This just kinda reinforces my belief that whenever DD becomes a numbers game it's at its worst. I also really dislike the decision to make attack vs defense checks work completely linearly so that you do absolutely no damage if you can't pierce the defense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, making defense be straight damage reduction is awful. I was able to skill my way through the crazy multi-wyrm fight before the lost city, and then all the crap within the lost city, in BBI version 2. But then I got to the boss and surprise! Absolutely none of my attacks would even hurt him except great gamble, which was not doing much for an attack that eats the whole stamina bar. I had periapts to make him killable at least, but it was a garbage experience to have that happen after everything leading up to it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I already got Clout and, uhh, the assassin one thanks exactly to that discipline powerleveling trick. By going solo I was actually able to scratch an eliminator that spawned in Gransys thanks to one of the BBI quests, but it still seems like I'm doing weirdly low damage compared to how dangerous these enemies actually are to me. I mean if I have a reasonable strength stat, an alright level, and the best possible physical daggers I can have (without purifying Level 2/3 weapons), shouldn't I at least be able to do something against these guys without relying on some sort of conditional buff? My attack stat with all these things combined is 1500-something which, as I said, seems pretty drat high. I guess must be a symptom of going with the class that's supposed to do low damage but do it fast? If you can't do any damage at all well the second part doesn't matter that much now does it.

This just kinda reinforces my belief that whenever DD becomes a numbers game it's at its worst. I also really dislike the decision to make attack vs defense checks work completely linearly so that you do absolutely no damage if you can't pierce the defense.

Eliminators are a special case, they have the highest physical defense in the game. They are actually very weak to magic though, so bring a mage with high ingle with you to deal with them. They have something like 3000 physical defense compare to 1000 magic defense.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Do Eliminators have higher physical defense than Poison Undead? It seems to me that you can at least slam an Eliminator's head for reasonable damage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Do eliminators really have the *highest* defense? I was having serious difficulties damaging some of the necrophages, as well as the chained up gorecyclops too. Although, that was with my bow which has split damage so it's of course weaker (split damage another thing that sucks because of the flat damage calculations)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Got this on PC finally. Already played through on PS3 a few years back so I know what I'm in store for.

Are there any good/suggested mods or anything? Or is it just all ENB shaders, sexy armors and assless capes?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Do Eliminators have higher physical defense than Poison Undead? It seems to me that you can at least slam an Eliminator's head for reasonable damage.

Amppelix posted:

Do eliminators really have the *highest* defense? I was having serious difficulties damaging some of the necrophages, as well as the chained up gorecyclops too. Although, that was with my bow which has split damage so it's of course weaker (split damage another thing that sucks because of the flat damage calculations)

Yeah, at 3300atk it takes me 11 Dragon's Maws to kill a single eliminator. It only takes 3 for a Poison Undead. The Condemned Gorecyclops is another special case because in the game files it's considered a Raid boss along with the Cursed Dragons and Elder Ogres even though it only has one spawn encounter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just got Invalid Data from a rent last night. What's up with that?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Yeah I hate that you basically have to make your main pawn a hot chick for it to get hired. I really want to make a big fat burly berserker dude or something. Then again, last time I made myself a hot chick and my pawn a bearded warrior. Will be getting this for PS4 next week. I added myself to the spreadsheet that got posted a couple of posts up, but if you want hit me up on PSN: grizzlywilde and I'll make sure to put some miles on your pawn.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My pawn is literally a lanky dude with red pants and gets hired plenty :shrug:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My pawn is a hot chick, but fully clothed and gets hired plenty. I think being a mage or sorcerer helps though. She's hired less when I had her as other classes.

Also, I think I'm gathering from the thread that if you play on normal difficulty, min/maxing is pointless for end game content; just play what class you want. Is that accurate?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Probably as a consequence of playing the old-rear end PS3 version, during this current playthrough my pawn has not once gotten hired. And I had a save sitting on there for like two years untouched and when I checked that the pawn had been hired a grand total of two times. Not a lot of life happening over here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not pointless but it isn't needed. The only case where you will be affected in a big way if you don't min max is if you basically do the opposite and play assassin for 100 levels before switching to sorcerer, and vice versa

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, although if you have an end-game class in mind, it wouldn't hurt to spec accordingly. For example, if I had known I'd end up going Magick Archer, I would have taken at least ten early levels in pure blue classes so I could get my Magick up.

Fake edit: also the slutty metal bikinis look stupid as hell and I will only hire a stylishly min-maxed pawn

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, although if you have an end-game class in mind, it wouldn't hurt to spec accordingly. For example, if I had known I'd end up going Magick Archer, I would have taken at least ten early levels in pure blue classes so I could get my Magick up.

Fake edit: also the slutty metal bikinis look stupid as hell and I will only hire a stylishly min-maxed pawn

Yeah, I'm at level 70, did one full playthough of the main game, but not BBI. I've thought about restarting, since I really like Magick Archer. I've just never enjoyed playing pure mage type characters in these games, mostly because the armor the character can wear is limited.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would never restart just to have slightly more slanted stats in this game

Magick archer and mystic knight can't even go wrong (thanks caxton) because they benefit from both strength and magic

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, that's true, the best daggers in the game are purely physical damage. I definitely would not restart, just keep in mind that if you want high Magick in the late game as a hybrid class, it might be wise to get a couple of blue levels under your belt before you hit 100.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the advice.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Digirat posted:

A corrupted pawn once hit me with maelstrom in a little corridor and it was basically a few minutes of me being repeatedly slammed into a ceiling while I paused to down more harspud every few seconds. And that poo poo was on accident, getting ganked like that intentionally would be :prepop:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The whole min/max thing eats at me when it comes down to how defense works. I want my pawn to have the sapfire daggers for the lowered defense debuff but its attack will be based on both the wielders strength and magic stats. So how much do I need to swap my pawn around :shepface:

I don't wanna min/max but I don't want her to do 0 damage cause I didn't make her a mage for 30 levels and her magic stat is too low to penetrate the mob's magic defense

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
So yeah I already ruined my first PS4 playthrough because I forgot to return to Cassardis after finding Quina in the woods, so the quest wasn't finished properly when I continued the main story. :downsgun: Was there a trick to restarting with your character? I think you can only go hard mode if you finish the game once. What about easy mode?

e: I was wrong, you can switch to hard mode from the main menu.

and now someone just corrected me. What a gaffe!

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

sicDaniel posted:

So yeah I already ruined my first PS4 playthrough because I forgot to return to Cassardis after finding Quina in the woods, so the quest wasn't finished properly when I continued the main story. :downsgun: Was there a trick to restarting with your character? I think you can only go hard mode if you finish the game once. What about easy mode?

You can go into hard mode whenever