Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Node posted:

Random thought that appeared in my broken brain a bit ago. I've enjoyed some exploration games, or as some people call them, "walking simulators," like Tacoma. Are there any games like that set in a dungeon or ruins type setting? It can have a little combat, but I'd like the focus to be on exploration. They don't need to be spooky or horror themed, but they can be.

drat, I'm going to suggest SOMA because it owns but it is spooky and horror themed and there's running from monsters and set underwater in a ruined undersea base.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282140/SOMA/

Actually you can mod most of the hide and seek gameplay out at least on PC. The monsters are there but they won't chase you. They'll stalk around more like silent sentinels. There's a few unavoidable chase scenes that are hardcoded in, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

I'm pretty sure most countries have laws about inciting violence, and nothing incites violence like a game of Mario Party.

murder cases have been solved when police found a copy of mario party 8 on the scene

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the term is "marioslaughter"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's-a-murder

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

murder cases have been solved when police found a copy of mario party 8 on the scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQIb0XXuxI

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd have to imagine that winning a game of Mario Party is like the end of There Will Be Blood. Sure you've had a great victory, but was sacrificing all of your relationships to get there really worth it?

It's-a-lonely at the top.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I'd have to imagine that winning a game of Mario Party is like the end of There Will Be Blood. Sure you've had a great victory, but was sacrificing all of your relationships to get there really worth it?

You've clearly never won a game of Mario Party before. It's always worth it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
*in slingblade voice* i aim to win mario party

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Node posted:

Random thought that appeared in my broken brain a bit ago. I've enjoyed some exploration games, or as some people call them, "walking simulators," like Tacoma. Are there any games like that set in a dungeon or ruins type setting? It can have a little combat, but I'd like the focus to be on exploration. They don't need to be spooky or horror themed, but they can be.

Sorta the Myst series? :shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Stexils posted:

the term is "marioslaughter"

The Colonel posted:

it's-a-murder

:golfclap:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One if my favorite Jeff Gerstmann quotes is (and I'm paraphrasing) when he he told Dan Rykert that he didn't say Mario Party didn't take some skill, he said the game is loving Bullshit. Truer words were never spoken about that series.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It was posted in the main Switch thread but I'll post about it here, January 31st, 2019 is when they finally close the original Wii eShop Channel.

After that the shop music can never be heard again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It was posted in the main Switch thread but I'll post about it here, January 31st, 2019 is when they finally close the original Wii eShop Channel.

After that the shop music can never be heard again.

It will live on in our hearts.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RIP

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Perhaps more importantly to me, while FF14 does have you doing the standard "kill things and/or get things" tasks - which is hardly anything MMOs invented - it also has snappy writing, and always has you doing something for a reason.

Here's an NPC sassing me for coming to rescue him.

Here's the staggering amount of thought they put into a repeatable quest that exists to grind up your crafting.

There's a level of care in this game that I did not find in WoW. The areas aren't as gaping and epic as in WoW, and the environments just feel more hand-crafted, and pleasant to boot.

Hell, as long as I'm thinking of it, even gathering is better than in most MMOs. Rather than googling the best route to find loving Ghost Iron Ore or whatever, you just switch to your gathering class and open up your gathering log, which shows everything you can gather at your current level, including the region and specific area of said region where you can find it. Then it's just a matter of going there, hitting up the nodes - which are actually located inside of existing scenery, like trees, bushes, cliff faces and rocks - and specifically targeting the item you want from that node. There's a dice roll as to whether you'll succeed, with your gathering level and stats dictating the chance of successfully gathering an item, but it just involves ping-ponging between a cluster preset nodes (which you can see on your minimap!) and getting the thing you need, which is a far cry from flying around Bumfuck, Azeroth in a circle and hoping ore lumps spawn.

Also, I have a moogle sword and it goes kupo when I unsheathe it. FF14 is good ok

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ff14's writing is incredible if only for the sheer number of loving puns they put in those thousands of quest titles. It's Actually Crazy how creative that game is with its quest titles and flavor dialogue.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

ff14's writing is incredible if only for the sheer number of loving puns they put in those thousands of quest titles. It's Actually Crazy how creative that game is with its quest titles and flavor dialogue.

It's just one of many ways the game is charming, imo. And the game's free until level 35 these days, so I recommend absolutely anyone give it a try!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Was FF14 the one with all the cock puns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've only ever really looked at screenshots of ff14 but it is funnier than a lot of games

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was FF14 the one with all the cock puns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
legends say that sartre wrote No Exit after a particularly long and brutal game of mario party

"hell is other people" indeed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Node posted:

Hellblade - viking runes ruins
SOMA - underwater base ruins
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - domestic ruins

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Here is something that I sincerely think is cool: Assassin's Creed Origins will be getting a History Mode DLC in 2018 that will strip out all the combat and gameplay and just give 20-minute guided tours on all the locales of Ancient Egypt. Edutainment is back, baby!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
FF14 was the most fun MMO I have ever played. If you are even slightly intrested, give it a shot.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I find a lot of ui and mechanics in FF14 to be extremely questionable. I do come from playing a lot of WoW, though. However I'm really enjoying my time playing the free trial and am actually thinking about subscribing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have a cool game related question that I will ask in the October thread! Please don't let me forget :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know I haven't been posting as often lately to wish people a good day and ask how they're feeling. I don't want anyone to think I've abandoned them and I still genuinely care and hope that they are having a good day. I've just been sidetracked lately, my brain is a bit fogged up and I haven't been able to focus as much.

It's important that everyone knows that there is someone out there trying to communicate to them, that someone out there cares enough about them to acknowledge them, and it's important that people know that some pointless jackwagon is wishing those people a good day and hoping that they can get through whatever bad times are ailing them.

Have a good day, a good weekend. It's Friday. I hope everything goes fine for all of you. Stay comfy and enjoy yourself without purposefully hurting others.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like Mulbruk's new look in La-Mulana 2:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm surprised Cuphead is getting great reviews, I probably will never have the time to play it and I hate the tacked on nonboss stuff but I'm glad the people who made it who mortaged like everything will get closure now

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I really like Mulbruk's new look in La-Mulana 2:

Is that ever coming out?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr E posted:

Is that ever coming out?
I mean it's getting regular updates, and I played it at PAX and it seemed fine enough. "December 2015" as the original pitched release date is pretty lol but that's pretty much every videogame kickstarter ever in that regard.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The feeling of murderous rage came back to me after watching that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only time i get mad at games is when i miss sniper shots or get a Status Quo siege roll

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The White Palace in Hollow Knight is a crazy area and I love it. I'm thrilled I'm finally close to beating this game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Here is something that I sincerely think is cool: Assassin's Creed Origins will be getting a History Mode DLC in 2018 that will strip out all the combat and gameplay and just give 20-minute guided tours on all the locales of Ancient Egypt. Edutainment is back, baby!

Sounds better than playing the actual game part.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A side benefit to the adpocalypse: YouTube is finally adding some antiharrassment tools.

https://twitter.com/foldablehuman/status/913767524646273029

Previously, you either held all comments for review or let them all auto-publish. Someone figured out that bad comments could flag videos as advertiser-unfriendly. If you wanted to gently caress with someone's channel revenue then you could simply harass them in the comments or spam comments with ad-unfriendly words. That's what it took to get some kind of reasonable comment filter added.

This might help explain why robots keep tagging so many games and LGBT videos as advertiser-unfriendly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Anyone mind if I make the October chat thread?

Also, while I have an idea what I'd call it, anyone have any suggestions for any horrible thread pun titles?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Thanks FAK!

My video game time has been rather slim lately but I finished Horizon Zero Dawn last night. I liked it much more than I expected to. A lot more than I enjoyed my last rock climbing simulator, Skyrim. I might even return to HZD next month and do NG+ on hard mode.

I've got to travel again soon, though, so I'm thinking of picking MHG back up to hunt some big rear end monsters while I'm gone. My grandma had a hip replaced this week and her kids are all away due to some unfortunate scheduling, so I'm taking my work with me and going over to fill in the caregiver gap for a week or two.

Filial piety every day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NG+ is pretty easy even on Ultra-Hard for Horizon assuming you already got all the Hunter's Lodge weapons and OP power armor. Plus when you beat it on Ultra you unlock all the achieves and face paints.

I'm doing a naked Ultra run now and it's kind of challenging because upgrades are mad expensive and everything can one-shot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

October Games Chat: Read my creepypasta, "The Haunted Virtual Boy"

• Locked thread