Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Do they make a non-Apple laptop with usable two-finger scrolling? No. That's why it will always be worth the cost if you're not poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Fabricated posted:

If you're a stemlord you should probably just be running your jobs on a cluster or buying a proper workstation or if for some godawful reason you really need a "portable" laptop with high-end hardware get a Precision or something

The processors that exist today on the high performance end are so ridiculously faster than the low energy ones better for laptops is insane, unless your time is worth nothing you should pay for the fast desktops with their fast CPUs and GPUs that will pull over 1 kilowatt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fabricated posted:

If you're a stemlord you should probably just be running your jobs on a cluster or buying a proper workstation or if for some godawful reason you really need a "portable" laptop with high-end hardware get a Precision or something

no, gently caress off. you don't need to make le big data of le cloud out of trivial in-memory problems

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jimmy Carter posted:

The processors that exist today on the high performance end are so ridiculously faster than the low energy ones better for laptops is insane, unless your time is worth nothing you should pay for the fast desktops with their fast CPUs and GPUs that will pull over 1 kilowatt.

if your workstation pulls over a kilowatt you either bought amd or got your wiring wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apple making laptops with trash hardware doesn't invalidate use of laptops with good hardware

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is shameful that a machine named pro is anything but, and don't make excuses for it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Jimmy Carter”" post="“476866362”"]

quote:

The Atlantic posted:
"The thing you have to remember is that this was before the iPhone was introduced and no one knew what the iPhone would do... At the end of the day, there was a chip that they were interested in that they wanted to pay a certain price for and not a nickel more and that price was below our forecasted cost. I couldn't see it. It wasn't one of these things you can make up on volume. And in hindsight, the forecasted cost was wrong and the volume was 100x what anyone thought."

It was the only moment I heard regret slip into Otellini's voice during the several hours of conversations I had with him. "The lesson I took away from that was, while we like to speak with data around here, so many times in my career I've ended up making decisions with my gut, and I should have followed my gut," he said. "My gut told me to say yes."
[/quote]

this is a man who is lying to himself and to you. intel had many chances to get into Apple embedded products after the iPhone was an obvious hit and they blew them all. they could not get their poo poo together enough to get the deal done.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tbf it wasn't just an apple thing -- intel apparently can't make chips for anything smaller than a laptop to save their life

their mobile offerings are poo poo

their embedded offerings are poo poo

their "hobbyist" offerings are amazingly poo poo

i'm sure they would have loved to have their chips in some of the trillions of android phones, too, but for some reason they haven't be able to make something competitive with ARM despite ten years of effort

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are we gonna see a11s jn laptops and if so are they gonna be good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or are they so acutely designed for mobile applications that they don't do desktop applications well?

and can you have like 8 of them ina computer

and also as far as the iphone x goes how much or the value is the processor like are they expensive to make and that's why they are good or are they so good because rheumatoid have geniuses like the management designing them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol how the gently caress did rheumatoid get in their. good job auto correct

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
probably because ur old and use the word a lot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Athletic Footjob posted:

probably because ur old and use the word a lot

machine learning !

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

same, but with bitcoin

William Gibson is well worth following on Twitter. Just to witness his absolute horror that things have managed to turn out shittier than even he could possibly have imagined

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel did the world a favor by being so stupid in mobile.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

This is the best of all possible worlds

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

This is the best of all possible worlds

imagine the world where steve jobs didn't partake in vegan sex fantasies to cure his cancer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

Mega agreedo. You do not want Intel handling the mobile space like they do the desktop space. We're lucky Ryzen isn't a total turd.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i did a poc app for an intel android prototype phone in 2011. it got so hot and unstable after about 10 minutes that it had to cool down for 30 minutes before it would turn on again.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ah, another day where i think to myself "man itunes is such dogshit garbage"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why keep using it?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

why keep using it?

all my music is synced to it so I can access it anywhere, which admittedly is a feature that is losing it's luster because using itunes is like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly

did you know when you go to the Album view it sorts it by Artist/Album so if you have a compilation album the album is split up all over the loving place and there is no way to change this?

ah ha! you say, i will go into song view and sort by album and bypass this loving idiocy. you fool, you think the itunes team didn't think you'd try that? if you add "Album" to the columns to sort by the column added is actually "Album by Artist/Year" and does the exact same thing that the album view does. There is also no way to change this behavior.

ok, you say, sighing, I'll just play some music then browse my songs to find the next thing to listen to. itunes also has this really cool feature where when it starts playing the next song, it jumps to it in the song list so you get to figure out where you were. again, this is not a configurable behavior.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i just pay some swedes to handle my music

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I only watch episodes of
planet of the apps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

i just pay some swedes to handle my music

i peruse their hospitality, and buy some russian produce on the side

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

did you know when you go to the Album view it sorts it by Artist/Album so if you have a compilation album the album is split up all over the loving place and there is no way to change this?
yes there is. while i realize this is not a thing you should have to do, if you change the album artist (rather than the song artist) to "various" or "compilation" or whatever, it will group the album together

coke
Jul 12, 2009

all my music is synced to it so I can access it anywhere, which admittedly is a feature that is losing it's luster because using itunes is like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly

ah ha! you say, i will go into song view and sort by album and bypass this loving idiocy. you fool, you think the itunes team didn't think you'd try that? if you add "Album" to the columns to sort by the column added is actually "Album by Artist/Year" and does the exact same thing that the album view does. There is also no way to change this behavior.

ok, you say, sighing, I'll just play some music then browse my songs to find the next thing to listen to. itunes also has this really cool feature where when it starts playing the next song, it jumps to it in the song list so you get to figure out where you were. again, this is not a configurable behavior.

lol dont pirate badly self tagged mp3s

surprise to no one that its the problem with loving dumb user

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

coke posted:

have you never bought an album that is a dj mix?

coke
Jul 12, 2009

The Management posted:

yeah and now apple is even dumber to use them for baseband/modem

like you know, the chip that allows cellular devices to connect to the internet and the whole point of having a mobile phone in the first place

like stymie said, tims lust for margin is killimg apple and should be fired

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i still cant believe i cant get a mbp without touchbar with 512 hard drive. what teh gently caress apple

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Crime on a Dime posted:

have you never bought an album that is a dj mix?

yeah and they show up just fine as an album with the correct track order and all, since theres literally an album field in the id3 tag

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

coke posted:

yeah and they show up just fine as an album with the correct track order and all, since theres literally an album field in the id3 tag

not if you bought the cd and use iTunes to rip it, or did they finally fix that?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

yes there is. while i realize this is not a thing you should have to do, if you change the album artist (rather than the song artist) to "various" or "compilation" or whatever, it will group the album together

this is dumb as gently caress

coke posted:

and you don't have a loving clue of what you're talking about, feel free to tell me what is mistagged here you dumb gently caress

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

bump_fn posted:

i still cant believe i cant get a mbp without touchbar with 512 hard drive. what teh gently caress apple

been using the touch bar since release, still loving stinks and there hasn't been a single day I go "oh that was very cool and useful"

like maybe once I pushed "ok" on the touch bar instead of moving my mouse to the dialog box

Touch ID button is great though
rest of the touchbar sucks
every day I miss the escape key (touchbar can hide it sometimes if you change volume and forget to exit the volume screen, for instance lol it's so bad)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you want to enjoy the touchbar you have to hold it the right way

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you want to enjoy the touchbar you have to hold it the right way

touchbar is a p good nickname for a penis

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

and you don't have a loving clue of what you're talking about, feel free to tell me what is mistagged here you dumb gently caress

the song?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

album view doens't even look like this for me wtf

coke
Jul 12, 2009

lol look at this idiot grandpa posting an improperly tagged mp3 with telltale sign of not having an album art

what is this?? the 90s??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pretty much everything.

* song field shouldn't contain the artist name, that's already in the artist field.
* the artist name is "Dick Dale and His Del-Tones".
* the album name shouldn't contain the disc number, there's a field for that.
* the genre should be Surf.

and finally usually the album artist would be "various artists" to appease the iTunes idiotic sorting. but you seem to have a checkbox for that which I've never seen before, so I can't fault you there

• Locked thread