Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MarcusSA posted:

Are they going to fix the delay when you turn the flashlight on? It's loving annoying.

It's instantaneous on my 6 plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Theophany posted:

That's weird there is at least a half second delay on my 8.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

the super powerful new SoC needs time to warm up

also might need to change your flashlight fluid

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My 7 Plus also has a split-second delay on the flashlight if I haven't turned it on in a while. If I toggle it off and on repeatedly it's instantaneous though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can confirm, there's a delay on my 8 when starting the flashlight that I hadn't noticed before now.

I've also noticed that there's some occasional, apparently random framerate issues when I unlock it; launching an app and then immediately returning to the home screen fixes it. It's nothing too bothersome, but I was surprised when it first happened.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the delay is some kind of power saving trick. Like they completely disable the system when it hasn't been in use for a while so it takes a chunk of time to warm up. Then it's ready to go until the timer expires again.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MarcusSA posted:

Take comfort in the fact that your new shiny is approximately three trillion times faster at literally everything else than my dog slow brick.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Theophany posted:

It happens on my 6, in addition to a ton of other instances of delay and other problems.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 29, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gave up on iCloud Photo ops for awhile now, Google Photos is the poo poo. It's like having seamless sync with a virtual phone wherever I have WiFi.

Also handy as I can get to my photos in a browser whenever I want to as well, yeah yeah Google is probably running my pics through five zillion heuristic algorithms to toss ads at me, don't care

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How is Super Mario Run? $5 to unlock all the content I guess

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Binary Badger”" post="“476885782”"]
Gave up on iCloud Photo ops for awhile now, Google Photos is the poo poo. It’s like having seamless sync with a virtual phone wherever I have WiFi.

Also handy as I can get to my photos in a browser whenever I want to as well, yeah yeah Google is probably running my pics through five zillion heuristic algorithms to toss ads at me, don’t care
[/quote]

You can access your iCloud Photo Library in a browser too!!!!!!

(It's kinda bad and super simple but hey!)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you're into Mario, it's a fun running game with good difficulty and no microtransactions. Clearing the stages is easy-peasy, but getting really high scores is hard. I enjoy it ...

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Is anyone else experiencing alarm clock issues since updating to 11?

I think I might need to delete all my alarms and create them anew. I'm not sure.

I looked up some stuff online and one page had helpful tips like "Make sure your volume is turned up" and "Check to make sure the mute button isn't switched off".

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can access your iCloud Photo Library in a browser too!!!!!!

(It's kinda bad and super simple but hey!)

I've gone back and forth over whether to give iCloud Photo Library another chance but their garbage browser site just always keeps me away.

iCloud.com is useful for a few things (synced notes, reminders) but not something intensive like working with a lot of photos and sharing them out.

Plus Google's Assistant and automatic features in Google Photos is the poo poo. It surprised me the other day with a video with clips of my son's life so far. And the clips were nicely stitched together (like it could recognize what was happening in one clip and match it to something similar in the next so they flowed). It made my wife cry.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm finally getting around to using Bluetooth headphones and a headset on my old 6 plus, and it's great going wireless except for the frequent audio dropouts which kind of sucks poo poo really. My phone is in my pocket and doesn't have a metal case or anything obstructing it.

Does Bluetooth audio get better than that or does it just often sound like a broken headphone jack?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Shouldn't be an issue aside from distance from the source tbh. I've never had an issue and i've used 3-4 different bluetooth headsets

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It depends on how much wireless interference there is. I've had issues with it in my backyard, but everywhere else is fine. I assume that means one of my neighbours is running their microwave 24/7 and it's pointing at the back yard.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Re: wireless charging with that Samsung, does it charge with the phone placed backwards?

I'd like to charge my phone while using an external mic in the lightning port for streaming our band's shows, but that would require the phone to be turned around with the camera facing out (screen towards the charger). If that doesn't work, I'll probably rig up a sketchy setup with rubber bands and whatever else happens to make it stay put and stay upright.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kruxy posted:

Is anyone else experiencing alarm clock issues since updating to 11?

I think I might need to delete all my alarms and create them anew. I'm not sure.

I looked up some stuff online and one page had helpful tips like "Make sure your volume is turned up" and "Check to make sure the mute button isn't switched off".

I'm not but my gf put her phone on charge the other night and it died during the night, which was weird as hell.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Science Goy posted:

Re: wireless charging with that Samsung, does it charge with the phone placed backwards?

I'd like to charge my phone while using an external mic in the lightning port for streaming our band's shows, but that would require the phone to be turned around with the camera facing out (screen towards the charger). If that doesn't work, I'll probably rig up a sketchy setup with rubber bands and whatever else happens to make it stay put and stay upright.

Thanks for asking. I meant to add that as I was curious myself! The answer is not at all. I tried different positions, landscape, etc.

Also messed around a bit more with the metal plate for the magnetic stand between the phone and case. It makes it a bit finnicky but it seems like if you move just enough to the top or bottom of the phone it'll work all the same. Just gotta find the sweet spot. I have no idea if that metal piece will get warm or if it will cause any issues or what

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Science Goy posted:

I got you fam

flat charger you can do whatever the gently caress. With this one you'd need to jerry rig it a bit to stand the whole unit up at the right angle, but should work a treat

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 29, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After spend like 2 hours last night reading Amazon reviews on all the Qi chargers, I said gently caress it and just went with the Samsung non-Quick Charge pad. Looks like it does 10W, which the new iPhones can only charge at 5W currently, and 7.5W in a future software update. Didn't see any reason to spend twice the amount on getting the 15W quick charge pads.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHEIIR4

It seems that all of them have similar reviews ranging from it works amazing, to it's slower than wired (duh) and it keeps disconnecting overnight even if not getting nudged. Most of them don't come with the proper AC adapters anyway, so I figured I may as well get one the one that comes with a good name brand AC adapter included already.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So I want to transfer my enormous stack of business cards into scanned documents on my phone, but I don't want to save them in Notes for obvious reasons. What's a good 3rd party app that handshakes with the new document scanner?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Definitely worth $5 if you like Mario at all. I got it on release and just started playing again due to the update. Good game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

bought it last night. I really like the x10 remix.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What do you guys leave your video quality settings on?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Over There posted:

What do you guys leave your video quality settings on?

1080p@60fps for regular video, 720p@240fps for slo-mo. I'll sacrifice resolution for framerate, although I wish my 7 Plus had the option to shoot in 24fps.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Anyone have any idea why google timeline isn't tracking my location anymore? Just switched from an android to an iPhone and it'll only track my android when I turn it on. Nothing for my iPhone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Google Maps won't have location permissions by default - try changing it to 'Always' and see if that helps.

Location history was working fine for me on the iOS 11 beta until Android Wear broke and that was the Google app I'd given the 'Always' permission to.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Evis posted:

It depends on how much wireless interference there is. I've had issues with it in my backyard, but everywhere else is fine. I assume that means one of my neighbours is running their microwave 24/7 and it's pointing at the back yard.

Ugh I guess I'm hosed then because there seems to be a ton of interference at work and I get it a lot just walking around in NYC too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheWevel posted:

The way to tell if it's Verizon is if the name displays in ALL CAPS. The iPhone suggestions use normal capitalization.

CKyle posted:

Are you on Verizon? They may have signed you up for a trial of their caller name ID thing. Check your text messages.
Now my phone has started doing this. I can't find anything about this on my verizon account - how do I disable it?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah Bluetooth seems a little suboptimal. I think we probably need more bandwidth for such applications.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ra-amun posted:

Anyone have any idea why google timeline isn't tracking my location anymore? Just switched from an android to an iPhone and it'll only track my android when I turn it on. Nothing for my iPhone.

You need to turn on background app refresh, set the app to "always" for location, need to be regularly opening Google maps to keep it interested in following you, or it'll miss a lot and carry a battery pack, as it'll be empty by about noon.
Apple don't allow a tight integration like this, so it'll just not work well enough to bother much with. If you're using it for directions at the time it'll log it properly though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've always had it off. What does everyone use background refresh for? Kinda pointless now with push notifications right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I like to have Facebook and Snapchat running in the background at all times to run down my battery and annoy nerds

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I like to have Facebook and Snapchat running in the background at all times to run down my battery and annoy nerds

one must always be poised for tinderella pics via snapchat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
[quote="“Snowy”" post="“476900472”"]
Ugh I guess I’m hosed then because there seems to be a ton of interference at work and I get it a lot just walking around in NYC too.
[/quote]

I don't know what special sauce they do on top of bluetooth but the w2 devices like the beats and earpods are really solid as far as connection and audio quality.

I wear mine in a lab with all sorts of EMF blasting all over from open server cases and wireless dongles and never had an issue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've always had it off. What does everyone use background refresh for? Kinda pointless now with push notifications right?

Isn't background refresh needed for your podcast apps etc. to download stuff while not open?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Snowy posted:

Ugh I guess I'm hosed then because there seems to be a ton of interference at work and I get it a lot just walking around in NYC too.

Have you tried different Bluetooth headphones? I can tell you it's not normal to lose connection to a phone in your pocket, even in a very busy city. That is something that happens to very cheap, bargain basement Bluetooth headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think I'm gonna give this wallet case a go:

https://smile.amazon.com/Spigen-iPh...s=iphone+8+case

I prefer the magnetic one I have, but this one does't seem to have any metal, at least not like the current one I have with a metal band all the way around. Love the case, just love wireless charging more. So i'm guessing wireless charging will work fine with the one I linked. Probably still won't work with a credit card but hey