Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Exmond posted:

Nyralothep the crawling chaos where nyralothep is an "Alien" (read 15 year old girl) who falls in love and just wants to watch anime and buy manga.

Heck, who doesn't?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is book 16 ever going to come out? Is Jim Butcher actually GRRM in disguise?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Waltzing Along posted:

Is book 16 ever going to come out?

Yes.

When it's done.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waltzing Along posted:

Is book 16 ever going to come out? Is Jim Butcher actually GRRM in disguise?

No.

Dresden actually died in Dead Beat. The books up until now have just been the dying impulses in his brain, with subjective time dilation to account for so much poo poo happening.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kinda think Jim Butcher is lost without his secret stash of Rifts supplements* to crib ideas from.
May the house building finish soon for him.

Mechanoids given the Butcher treatment would be...interesting.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No.

Dresden actually died in Dead Beat. The books up until now have just been the dying impulses in his brain, with subjective time dilation to account for so much poo poo happening.

This is actually true for every work of fiction, ever.
Makes you think.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just got to see Jim Butcher talk at a meet the author event and he is a hilarious turbo nerd in person. Which is to be expected, really. I asked him how he does so well with the technical details of firearms, and apparently he got into shooting to some degree.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Rat posted:

Just got to see Jim Butcher talk at a meet the author event and he is a hilarious turbo nerd in person. Which is to be expected, really. I asked him how he does so well with the technical details of firearms, and apparently he got into shooting to some degree.

He's American. We are all born clutching a gun

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Rat posted:

I asked him how he does so well with the technical details of firearms

Does he though?

I mean, he hasn't said anything super-egregious about them but I seem to remember Dresden being extremely stupid about the "technology" of firearms.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My girlfriend asked for a recommendation for something to listen to on her commute. Her last book was a bit of a downer so I recommend Dresden. She's loving it so far. Just finished the demon encounter in book 1.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Does he though?

I mean, he hasn't said anything super-egregious about them but I seem to remember Dresden being extremely stupid about the "technology" of firearms.

Having mistakes pointed out might have been the reason for him to seek practical experience in the first place.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Does he though?

He admitted to being bad about it in the first few books, but learned since then.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Please - I'd rather have a writer bad with firearms than read more Larry Correia.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Does he though?

Murphys special gun has been talked about at length a few times I believe.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wizchine posted:

Please - I'd rather have a writer bad with firearms than read more Larry Correia.

Authors that get things wrong about guns are buried under the tidal wave of complaints they get from gun people. It's worth the small amount of effort needed to pick up some basic knowledge just to avoid that shitstorm.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Sometimes too little knowledge can confuse people. I just watched a movie review where they didn't understand why the main character filled hollow points with mercury fulminate. They thought he was trying to give them mercury poisoning.

Mercury fulminate is what's in primers, it explodes on impact.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Now I'm imagining a book where an author starts a car chase scene with saying the protagonist shifted into 5th gear from a dead stop and flooring to go as fast as possible.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, I want to say it was Dead Beat where Harry "thumbs back the trigger" on his .44

Kudos on him for trying to get better though. The two craziest groups for accuracy are gun people and horse people. Get their stuff wrong and they'll string you up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hence the high mortality among writers of westerns.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, I want to say it was Dead Beat where Harry "thumbs back the trigger" on his .44

Kudos on him for trying to get better though. The two craziest groups for accuracy are gun people and horse people. Get their stuff wrong and they'll string you up.

I was going to protest this sentiment, being a recreational marksman, but it's true. I'm also extremely unpleasant to watch historical movies with as I tend to nitpick those as well.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Biologists get annoyed, too, though we tend to be able to give them a pass since no one ever gets biology-related things right. The one glaring example that stands out to me in Dresden is how he detects a cottonmouth snake on Demonreach, despite extreme southern Illinois being the northernmost point of their range (snake nerd).

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My brother gets up-in-arms about stuff relating to climbing and cycling (racing) but not too many movies feature those pursuits. As a kid, I used to yell all the time about dinosaur-related stuff, but Hollywood has done a pretty good job with them since Jurassic Park.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OneTwentySix posted:

Biologists get annoyed, too, though we tend to be able to give them a pass since no one ever gets biology-related things right. The one glaring example that stands out to me in Dresden is how he detects a cottonmouth snake on Demonreach, despite extreme southern Illinois being the northernmost point of their range (snake nerd).

I caught that one myself, and I'm not a biologist.

Ultimately, this kind of stuff rarely bothers me a lot. A factual error or two? Fine.

There's really only one that pisses me off, and it's when media suggests taking cover under a bridge during a tornado. You're far better off in a ditch or even just flat on the ground than up on a slope in an area where the air gets compressed (and thus moves at greater speed).

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
try watching/ reading about computer related stuff as a software engineer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BabyFur Denny posted:

I refuse to watch the show Scorpion (or whatever it's called) because I KNOW I would be raging at the TV in 30 seconds.

In fact the only show I didn't roll my eyes at was Mr Robot. There was also minimal eye-roll at Person of Interest because FUTURE TECH A.I. :black101:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly, where setting realism is concerned, we should probably be happy that Butcher even seems aware that Chicago is a city in Illinois.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

My go to for that is still the NCIS hacking scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

MildShow posted:

I'd like to submit the entirety of Swordfish but here is my favorite part ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Ds9CeG-VY

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

MildShow posted:

The saddest thing (besides that I know this, which I blame on a hospital visit last year and being too groggy for anything but the finest of dumb television), is that it isn't even the only time they've done the doubling-up-on-the-keyboard thing. I just want to know how something like that gets to screen without somebody in the writers' room, one of the actors, somebody saying "Wait, this is dumb as gently caress." I can understand an author making a dumb mistake. A show that requires something like a hundred people to create, not so much.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

What do you mean? That's how hacking works. And two people typing at the keyboard means you can type twice as fast. I think you've just been doing it wrong all this time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Proteus Jones posted:

I refuse to watch the show Scorpion (or whatever it's called) because I KNOW I would be raging at the TV in 30 seconds.

In fact the only show I didn't roll my eyes at was Mr Robot. There was also minimal eye-roll at Person of Interest because FUTURE TECH A.I. :black101:

Mr. Robot was so refreshing. Like when they wanted to bring down a server farm for a bit, and they break into the place, crack open a thermostat, plug a rasberry pi into it, then later, remotely they turn up the temperature, causing the servers to overheat. I remember thinking, "Silly TV shows, that....actually, that could work."

Or when they want to hack into the police station, so they drop a bunch of thumb drives in the parking lot to the station, with something on them saying they're advertising some free music promotion. Then an officer picks one up, is curious, plugs it into a computer, and malware installs on the computer, allowing the hackers a way in. This not only happens, it happens so often that companies train employees against it now in security training.

The only thing it plays with is how long things take, like how he'll brute force a password in a pretty short amount of time. But I forgive that for sake of story telling.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Not much has topped the terribleness of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

thrawn527 posted:

Mr. Robot was so refreshing. Like when they wanted to bring down a server farm for a bit, and they break into the place, crack open a thermostat, plug a rasberry pi into it, then later, remotely they turn up the temperature, causing the servers to overheat. I remember thinking, "Silly TV shows, that....actually, that could work."

Or when they want to hack into the police station, so they drop a bunch of thumb drives in the parking lot to the station, with something on them saying they're advertising some free music promotion. Then an officer picks one up, is curious, plugs it into a computer, and malware installs on the computer, allowing the hackers a way in. This not only happens, it happens so often that companies train employees against it now in security training.
This sounds like my kinda jam. I'll need to check it out at some point.

thrawn527 posted:

The only thing it plays with is how long things take, like how he'll brute force a password in a pretty short amount of time. But I forgive that for sake of story telling.
Was there any indication that the password was made by someone who knows their poo poo? Or that it was on a service with brute-force protections? Because most peoples' passwords are cheese-easy to brute-force with modern tech.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ClydeFrog posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNtcWpY4YLY

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blasphemeral posted:

This sounds like my kinda jam. I'll need to check it out at some point.

Was there any indication that the password was made by someone who knows their poo poo? Or that it was on a service with brute-force protections? Because most peoples' passwords are cheese-easy to brute-force with modern tech.

Honestly, I can't remember this was first season, so you may be right, and this isn't really a complaint.

Mr. Robot is really loving good, you should check it out.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
My wife is coming up on the end of Changes for the first time, I'll try and have a camera ready.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jxforema posted:

My wife is coming up on the end of Changes for the first time, I'll try and have a camera ready.

Be sure to tell her that the none of the following books have anything that comes close to all of the poo poo that goes down in the final battle of that book.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I just reread the Aeronaut's Windlass again, and I really can't wait for the Olympian Affair. Butcher really is stronger when writing an ensemble cast.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Finished off Atrocity Archive the other day. It wasn't bad, but I way preferred the ideas to the execution. I found some scenes a little confusing, found a few parts of the story in need of a little punching up, and then it just sorta... ends. Not a huge fan of the huge battleship paragraphs. Was the author an IT guy? Parts of it read like an insert.

I feel like the story after Atrocity Archive ( The Concrete Jungle ) is more interesting, and I kind of find myself wishing it was the first story for a couple of different reasons.

ClydeFrog posted:

Someone has never basked in the horrible glory of SVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljQ2HEJkP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Was the author an IT guy? Parts of it read like an insert.

Yep.

The books get better, though the second one is divisive among Stross's fanbase; you either love it or hate it.