Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Is that someone's attempt at an italic?

I didn't even notice the actual tip at first, I was distracted by the random chunk missing from the side.

Actually, is that a modification people perform? Shaving off the sides of nibs? I know there's that ahab mod that cuts out shouders, but I mean just thinning the tines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kessel, I just had one of your notebooks recognised in the wild. They're developing a following over at the Australian fountain pen and Hobonichi Facebook groups.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zenostein posted:

Is that someone's attempt at an italic?

I didn't even notice the actual tip at first, I was distracted by the random chunk missing from the side.

Actually, is that a modification people perform? Shaving off the sides of nibs? I know there's that ahab mod that cuts out shouders, but I mean just thinning the tines.

An oblique italic, it seems, ground by someone who had no idea what they were doing. As for shaving down the sides, it's common when adding flex to nibs (gold or steel), but that clearly wasn't the intent, here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bought a blue-green Lamy Al-Star ballpoint. :ohdear: It's beautiful, and it matches my scrubs. I normally keep a Preppy on me, but they don't work very well through four layers of transfer paper, and every time someone asks me to borrow a pen they just get confused by the nib, so I've had to resort to this one. drat fine pen, even if it lacks elegance.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Megabound posted:

Kessel, I just had one of your notebooks recognised in the wild. They're developing a following over at the Australian fountain pen and Hobonichi Facebook groups.

Sweet! I didn't even know that group existed, but we definitely send a number of our diaries over to Australia.

Do you have a link to these groups or the name of the groups, perhaps?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I know Fountain Pens Oceania on Facebook would love to know all about them

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So I seem to have a mold problem. At least, that's what I suspect. My red and blue Lamy Al-Stars both didn't get any use for a while and now have accumulated weird fuzzy things around the nib. I noticed it first on the red one and cleaned it out with soap and water, and then put it back in my desk with no ink in it for about three weeks. My blue one has ink in it and I just picked it up after a few months of not using it. It writes just fine, but there's a lot of fuzz around the nib. The red one has it now too. They were kept in the same box together for a while, but after I cleaned the red one I separated it from the blue. They're the only two that seem to be exhibiting the problem. The ink bottles I took the ink from are fine (Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses and Navajo Turquoise respectively.) My other Al-Star is also fine but wasn't kept in the same box. None of the other pens in the box seem to exhibit this problem.

What's a good way to clean them out? Is it normal for mold to form when there's no ink in the pen? Is there another cause, and could it not be mold at all? They've both been capped the whole time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heath posted:

I bought a blue-green Lamy Al-Star ballpoint. :ohdear: It's beautiful, and it matches my scrubs. I normally keep a Preppy on me, but they don't work very well through four layers of transfer paper, and every time someone asks me to borrow a pen they just get confused by the nib, so I've had to resort to this one. drat fine pen, even if it lacks elegance.

You need to lend your pen to strangers and for that you need a ballpoint, but in case anyone else is worried about carbon copies:

Carbon copying predates ballpoint pens and fountain pens were used with carbon paper for decades. Nibs used to be marketed as “manifold” because they were especially suitable for carbon copies.

When people compare nibs to “like writing with a nail”, they’re generally being negative, but it’s exactly what you want for making carbon copies.

Stiff, narrow nibs are good. This includes most hooded nibs. Jowo’s fine/extra fine nibs (Anderson/Goulet sell them as their store brand) are also pretty good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My Preppy did... okay at writing through the carbon copies, but the bottom layer would be unreadable.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I feel like that was true with actual carbon paper, but even with something cheap as hell like a Varsity or a Preppy, I'd be super uncomfortable using enough pressure to make it through one of those triplicate forms.

Admittedly, half my issue is a vague concern that I'd actually tear the paper before using enough pressure to make it through to the third sheet, but that's probably also because I like fine points, and for something like that I feel like a larger point would be better.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heath posted:

So I seem to have a mold problem. At least, that's what I suspect. My red and blue Lamy Al-Stars both didn't get any use for a while and now have accumulated weird fuzzy things around the nib. I noticed it first on the red one and cleaned it out with soap and water, and then put it back in my desk with no ink in it for about three weeks. My blue one has ink in it and I just picked it up after a few months of not using it. It writes just fine, but there's a lot of fuzz around the nib. The red one has it now too. They were kept in the same box together for a while, but after I cleaned the red one I separated it from the blue. They're the only two that seem to be exhibiting the problem. The ink bottles I took the ink from are fine (Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses and Navajo Turquoise respectively.) My other Al-Star is also fine but wasn't kept in the same box. None of the other pens in the box seem to exhibit this problem.

What's a good way to clean them out? Is it normal for mold to form when there's no ink in the pen? Is there another cause, and could it not be mold at all? They've both been capped the whole time.

I did some examination and the red one had in fact not been flushed after I discovered it was fuzzy. Part of me wonders if it just accumulated dust from being in the box it was in (a very dusty old wood box that, me being dumb, did not clean out before I started using it for pen storage. No sign of mold or accumulation in any of my other pens that were in the box, nor any signs of it in any of the inks that were in those pens, nor in any of the pens I have since inked up with those inks. So I wonder if the mold originated from the box itself or if it's even mold at all. I've filled several other pens with BSiER in the intervening months and none of them have molded.

I've flushed the pens out with soap and water and I'm going to let them sit for a while to see if anything happens, and if not, I'm going to sample out some ink from BSiER into a sample vial and fill them with that to see if it comes back.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kessel posted:

Sweet! I didn't even know that group existed, but we definitely send a number of our diaries over to Australia.

Do you have a link to these groups or the name of the groups, perhaps?

Can do!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fpaus/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HobinichiUserGroup/

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks!

Also, we, uh... well, I was in Japan these past couple weeks playing with papers, and I think we've found a paper better than Tomoe River. 25% cotton, 48 (!!!!!!!!!) gsm, no bleedthrough whatsoever. The weight is thinner than Tomoe but the cotton takes away the crinkly nature of TR that some people hate, and makes the pages easier to sew. The cotton content makes it a shoo-in for watercolour and ink sketching.

We take delivery of our first batch in two weeks. If testing shakes out we will offer it as a limited run, and if interest is strong enough and feedback good enough there is a possibility we may transition the entire line of Musubi diaries over to this new paper. Yes, it's THAT good. It may be the best paper I have ever used in my life.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kessel posted:

Thanks!

Also, we, uh... well, I was in Japan these past couple weeks playing with papers, and I think we've found a paper better than Tomoe River. 25% cotton, 48 (!!!!!!!!!) gsm, no bleedthrough whatsoever. The weight is thinner than Tomoe but the cotton takes away the crinkly nature of TR that some people hate, and makes the pages easier to sew. The cotton content makes it a shoo-in for watercolour and ink sketching.

We take delivery of our first batch in two weeks. If testing shakes out we will offer it as a limited run, and if interest is strong enough and feedback good enough there is a possibility we may transition the entire line of Musubi diaries over to this new paper. Yes, it's THAT good. It may be the best paper I have ever used in my life.

Would you consider selling me some of this paper in stationery form?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Unfortunately we can't. Our agreement is for use and not resale.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t see this information out there so here it is:

Lanbitou 3059s ($3 Eco clone) can be fully disassembled.

The piston end screws off with threads under the metal ring.

The feed is friction fit. Mine was tight. I used pliers and a rag. Pushing it out from the piston end with an appropriately sized tube should also work.

Wing Sung 3008 is the same process.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
FYI Goulet is having a buy one, get one 50% sale for the Lamy Al-Star Pacific and Lamy Safari Petrol today.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NeurosisHead posted:

FYI Goulet is having a buy one, get one 50% sale for the Lamy Al-Star Pacific and Lamy Safari Petrol today.

Link

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

https://www.gouletpens.com/lamy-pacific-petrol-bogo/c/696

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

FPR is having a buy one get one free sale on a few of their piston fillers today and tomorrow.

https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/fpr-fountain-pen-collection

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Aww why does it have to be a bland pen and demonstrators? I want the ebonite or crazy-funky acrylics.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Okay, thread, you got me; I ordered a couple of Wing Sung 3008s. In two and a half months, when I get them, I will have forgotten.

I also couldn't resist any more and ordered a white TWSBI Classic. drat, that's a good-looking pen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Paper report: EcoPaper’s sugar cane paper remains good for fountain pens.

I had read that Staple’s sugar cane paper changed composition a year or so ago and the new stuff just isn’t the same.

I feared that EcoPaper’s stuff was made in the same factory, but Google didn’t turn up any recent reviews so I bought a ream to find out.

I’d never used it before so I can’t make a direct comparison, but the stuff I bought is fine. It’s smooth and I don’t get significant feathering even with Bernanke Blue through a wet, broad stub. It certainly doesn’t bleed through this severely.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

atholbrose posted:

Okay, thread, you got me; I ordered a couple of Wing Sung 3008s. In two and a half months, when I get them, I will have forgotten.

I also couldn't resist any more and ordered a white TWSBI Classic. drat, that's a good-looking pen.

You might get lucky and be surprised. My 3008 arrived in under a month. They just wrapped it in bubble wrap and stuck it in a padded envelope so it went by regular post, it appears.

... Then again, it could also arrive six months late after someone finds it under a conveyor belt.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I usually get my packages from China in around two weeks. There have been some huge exceptions to that, but it's always quicker than I expect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction.”

:tinfoil:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

“The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction.”

:tinfoil:
It must have been nice to be able to write things like that without the rest of your customers hearing about it in 5 minutes.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

mystes posted:

It must have been nice to be able to write things like that without the rest of your customers hearing about it in 5 minutes.

It must have been nice to receive a personal and honest letter in response to a customer service query rather than a link to an FAQ that's only tangentially related to the question.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Megabound posted:

May I ask what notebooks these are?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

http://www.musu.bi/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Another day, another Delta

Unfortunately it looks like Delta the company is history.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

Unfortunately it looks like Delta the company is history.

Yeah -- and I have a Unica that was in Italy for repairs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Unfortunately I wouldn't count on getting it back. Nobody can get stock and the major distributors for both North America and Japan are telling customers that they can no longer send pens to Italy for repair.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Has anybody ordered from Pendemonium? I want to get a bottle of Legal Lapis but their order form appears to be from 1996.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Unfortunately I wouldn't count on getting it back. Nobody can get stock and the major distributors for both North America and Japan are telling customers that they can no longer send pens to Italy for repair.

Is there a blog or press release anywhere about this?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Is there a blog or press release anywhere about this?

Check the posts on this page - http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/324097-again-is-delta-going-out-of-business/page-3

The owner of Hisnibs.com posted this video in August: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ko91LXzSRc

Delta's official website (Deltapen.ita) is history, the front page still works but all the links redirect to 404s.

Nobody can get stock any more, including really large dealers like Amazon.

If the company ain't dead it's damned close.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
And the stuff is so expensive that I doubt I'll get to try my luck with a Delta fire sale.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

In fairness, their entire remaining stock will probably show up at a pen show next year on some greybeard's table marked at 110% MSRP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Man Shran posted:

In fairness, their entire remaining stock will probably show up at a pen show next year on some greybeard's table marked at 110% MSRP.

Also all the pens sent in for repair.

Which isn’t how bankruptcy is supposed to work but you know it will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A couple of years my local pen club did a custom pen through Delta. One of the members sent his to Italy for a repair 6 months ago and hasn't gotten it back yet.

I don't think he's getting it back. Hell, it might have been sold to pay a utilities bill or someone's paycheck.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 1, 2017