Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks they look much better now. Going to give highlighting a go tonight.

Ok did some highlighting but the colour ended up being a bit too light. Would some specific dark washing blend that in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Now that's an appealing scheme for those guys. The blue-white gradient accents really make it pop.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Really love the lightning bolts on these. Looks like actual lightning!

Thanks guys :). I seem to end up sticking a bit of Temple Guard Blue and Baharroth Blue on pretty much everything these days, 90% of the Chaos dudes posted over the last few pages have a small detail or highlight in those two blues. Tassels on Blood Warriors: Blue, Plumes on Nurgle:Blue, Tzeentch: err Blue everywhere, Bloodletter Horns: highlighted in blue, Khargoroth Belt: Blue, Blood Reavers Boots: Blue.

Got some more Stormcasts (Lord Relictor, 3 more Retributors, and some Prosecutors) to do and some Squats Kharadron Overlord Shootymans that'll be done in the same scheme as these, just need to finish building them all. Probably do the Kharadron guys first to see how those colours will work on them.

Red_Fred posted:

Ok did some highlighting but the colour ended up being a bit too light. Would some specific dark washing blend that in?

Depends on whether you want to dull everything down. Another option would be to thin the base colour down a lot, and glaze it over the highlight to tone down just that colour. It's easier with a medium, with water make sure you don't flood the model.

Disclaimer: I've heard it called either Glazing and Tinting depending on who you ask, as someone who didn't do art or painting in any capacity I'll keep it safe and say painting a thin/translucent layer over existing colour.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

As richyp said, a very very subtle wash would be the way to go.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question regarding thinners and making your own glazes - I currently have a bottle of Vallejo Medium Thinner. This one:

Is this the same thing as Lahmian Medium? Say if I wanted to make a glaze of Mephiston Red, do I just add a bunch of this to Mephiston Red until it reaches a very thinned down consistency, and do I add any water to it at all?

I want to try doing OSL red eyes for my deathwatch and found a good guide on youtube, but I wanted to ask before diving into it. My only experience with OSL lead to this:

which was accomplished with just slapping paint on. So naturally, i'm keen to learn how to glaze.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question regarding thinners and making your own glazes - I currently have a bottle of Vallejo Medium Thinner. This one:

Is this the same thing as Lahmian Medium? Say if I wanted to make a glaze of Mephiston Red, do I just add a bunch of this to Mephiston Red until it reaches a very thinned down consistency, and do I add any water to it at all?

I want to try doing OSL red eyes for my deathwatch and found a good guide on youtube, but I wanted to ask before diving into it. My only experience with OSL lead to this:

which was accomplished with just slapping paint on. So naturally, i'm keen to learn how to glaze.

Vallejo sells a glaze medium that has some properties that are useful for glazes (flow, drying speed). When I make a glaze, I typically use a combo of thinner medium and glaze medium.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop...0ml-pot-3040821

£10 for a lifetime's supply when painting miniatures.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Goddamit. I had some masking tape problems that resulted in a raised lump of paint on the model's side next to where I was working.

What's the best way to get rid of it with minimal damage to the surrounding paint? Bonus if I can do it without damaging the primer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Goddamit. I had some masking tape problems that resulted in a raised lump of paint on the model's side next to where I was working.

What's the best way to get rid of it with minimal damage to the surrounding paint? Bonus if I can do it without damaging the primer.

There isn't.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
How much should i post about streaming here? I don't want to spam every day.

Here's the current state after todays stream in any case, slowly working my way thought the highlighting on 12 frigates.

wdarkk posted:

Do you mean a little ridge has formed at the edge of the taped area? It depends on the geometry of the part and the kind of paint. Generally let the paint dry thoroughly and then you try a gently scraping with the back end of a scalpel blade or your fingernail.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bistromatic posted:

Here's the current state after todays stream in any case, slowly working my way thought the highlighting on 12 frigates.

Do you mean a little ridge has formed at the edge of the taped area? It depends on the geometry of the part and the kind of paint. Generally let the paint dry thoroughly and then you try a gently scraping with the back end of a scalpel blade or your fingernail.

No, I had a piece of tape going over two pieces of tape to mask off the base of the stripe and the paint got under that. I think I'll try the fingernail out though.

EDIT: Fingernail worked. It'll probably still look a little weird, but in a recessed way rather than a raised way.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 27, 2017

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Ah i see. The only thing i can think of is to attack it with very fine sandpaper, 1000 grit at least. You'd also probably want to glue a little bit of sandpaper to a bit of sprue or something similar to create a little sanding too with a bit more control.

It'll depend on your sanding skills of how flat you can get it and how much damage you'll cause to the surroundings but it's the way i'd personally approach it. Take a good look at whether it's worth the effort though or if it'd be easier to just strip the mini and just paint it again with the next batch.

Edit: Oh well, that's good too :v: Dress it up as battle damage.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

Link yo twitch, yo.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

To be honest, that's not that bad for OSL, and I imagine it looks perfectly fine from tabletop height. This close up, it gives the impression of crackling energy on/in the blade, which works pretty well for power swords. (I like that the glow is visible inside the severed head, also. Nice touch!)

ijyt posted:

Link yo twitch, yo.

Seconded! I love watching better artists do their thing so I can steal from learn their techniques.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

OptimusWang posted:

I've been using this one since the beginning of the year and no complaints. If noise matters, I can use it two rooms away from my sleeping wife and it doesn't wake her up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WBT7PTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_UbZYzbV6G68RR

And in my price range, thank you.

So once I get the compressor, airgun, hose, hood, mask...is there anything else to get besides paint and cleaner?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Latex/nitrile gloves.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

goodness posted:

And in my price range, thank you.

So once I get the compressor, airgun, hose, hood, mask...is there anything else to get besides paint and cleaner?

Vallejo Flow Improver is magic in a bottle. You'll also want one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8NI5GA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7UeZzbDV76KEX

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OptimusWang posted:

Vallejo Flow Improver is magic in a bottle.

This 100%

Save the years and years of trial and error I went through and basically graduate to next level.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm going to do an order for some things tonight. What is the best thinner? I've been using straight tap water but maybe I would get better results with something specific?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
The last 2 posts are a clue

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I don't know if it has been talked about here, but i really like Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver... for more than just airbrushing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't use a mask or gloves to airbrush, I airbrush under an open window though so

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

dexefiend posted:

I don't know if it has been talked about here, but i really like Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver... for more than just airbrushing.

If I mix that with some washes (or regular paints) will it make them flow smooth as fucc?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mugaaz posted:

The last 2 posts are a clue

I'm not using an airbrush though...I can't tell who is being serious

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm sort of fond of the half and half mixture of water and acrylic matte medium I've made.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I'm not using an airbrush though...I can't tell who is being serious

Airbrush thinner also works good for thinning for painting with a brush. Pledge Future Floor Polish and Vallejo glaze medium also are also applicable options.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can the GW washes be drybrushed?
Because I'm looking at the Blighted Tundra entry in the GW paint app and step two is drybrushing the texture paint with Seraphim Sepia. Not apply a wash or anything, but specifically drybrush it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Definitely a typo. It's washed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that's what I figured as well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

darnon posted:

Airbrush thinner also works good for thinning for painting with a brush. Pledge Future Floor Polish and Vallejo glaze medium also are also applicable options.

Keep in mind that Future may give your paint a semi-gloss finish, which might not be what you want for some bits.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Cooked Auto posted:

Can the GW washes be drybrushed?
Because I'm looking at the Blighted Tundra entry in the GW paint app and step two is drybrushing the texture paint with Seraphim Sepia. Not apply a wash or anything, but specifically drybrush it.

that is almost certainly an error, but all the smae i wouldn't mind seeing somebody try

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Texmo posted:

that is almost certainly an error, but all the smae i wouldn't mind seeing somebody try

Yeah I might just do it for the next set of bases I'm doing because I didn't really notice all that much difference after applying the wash.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for undead skeleton paints schemes/colours? My old GW bone colour is pretty dried up.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Red_Fred posted:

Any recommendations for undead skeleton paints schemes/colours? My old GW bone colour is pretty dried up.
Paint with washes for undead, especially if there's a tonne to do.

Prime white, wash Sepia, highlight white. Super fast, looks decent and saves a tonne of time when painting hordes of the boney bastards.

I did an undead army a couple of years ago. These guys were done that way a while back. From memory, white primer, paint metals. Wash everything in Sepia, then wash over metals in blue, wash wood bits in Brown. Apply more Sepia to bandages, and then paint the blue bits with paint. Keep a hairdryer handy and you can churn out a lot quickly.

As always though, blue and teal are the true stars of the show.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

ijyt posted:

Link yo twitch, yo.

:siren: https://www.twitch.tv/bistromatic :siren:

gonna stream in about an hour and continue on those frigates. got a better camera boom cobbled together as well :v:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Prime white, wash Sepia, highlight white. Super fast, looks decent and saves a tonne of time when painting hordes of the boney bastards.

I did an undead army a couple of years ago. These guys were done that way a while back. From memory, white primer, paint metals. Wash everything in Sepia, then wash over metals in blue, wash wood bits in Brown. Apply more Sepia to bandages, and then paint the blue bits with paint. Keep a hairdryer handy and you can churn out a lot quickly.

Thanks for this post; I've got a bunch of Mantic undead I've been meaning to get to and this is great inspiration.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

richyp posted:

Does Agrax Earthshade work as a sepia wash?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Painted up this pot'o Cawl. He's 95% done but i've got a game tomorrow so the very final highlights can wait.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Red_Fred posted:

Might be a bit too dark unless you thin it a lot. Sepia is more yellowy-brown than brown-brown. It'll work but the overall tone will be darker. Try thinning the wash about 3:1 water to agrax.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah, Agrax is a pretty deep brown, so it'll leave your skeletons looking really dark and dirty. (Might be a good look if that's what you're going for.) If you're going for a brighter bone look, like richyp's above, you might want to leave the Agrax as a recess-only shade for the deepest shadows, or dispense with it altogether. (Something to note is, GW makes Agrax in a gloss formula as well as the matte; the gloss flows much more readily into crevices and stays there. I swear by that stuff.)

GW also makes Seraphim Sepia wash, which is the orange-tan color richyp suggested. That's only available as matte, but it'll get the job done much lighter than Agrax. There's also nothing preventing you from mixing different shades of washes on your palette to the desired coloration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Indolent Bastard told me to post some screenshots of my hands to show how i stabilize them on the table edge.
So if you claim to have shaky hands just put them somewhere that doesn't shake :v:

(click for big)