Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

OwlFancier posted:

I fear I may be too radicalized because I automatically read that as "the godlessness of the free market" and got confused why ukip was promoting it.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

it occurs to me that the question of how some liberal democracies relegate charismatic populists to small, personal machines and some fail to quarantine them this way

A note that Boris is a leading candidate for next Prime Minister of this country...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Pretty bad wargamers who didn't realize that the RN had about 20 warships based in the channel ports themselves.

Like dude, you're just wrong here. Accept it and move on.

Or move to the milhist thread in Ask/Tell. We love talking about how impossible Sealion was there :sun:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 29, 2017

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

feedmegin posted:

A note that Boris is a leading candidate for next Prime Minister of this country...

touché...

Powell had pretty good odds once too, so there remains hope that Bojo has made enough enemies

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

I wonder that is happening in the Light Universe right now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

Pretty bad wargamers who didn't realize that the RN had about 20 warships based in the channel ports themselves.

Like dude, you're just wrong here. Accept it and move on.

http://www.megagame-makers.org.uk/megagame-dp.htm These guys do it a lot with various different scenarios but I can't find the report of the "War starts in 38" one they did a few years ago that panned out as I said.

The big Sandhurst one in the seventies also had the mine-screening idea but kinda handwaved the RN's ability to defeat the screen and also was based around the RAF being in the situation it was at Adlertag, rather than having been wiped out - there's a *lot* of words about it here: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=178886&start=465

But yeah, I've not really got a dog in this fight, it's just an interesting topic of conversation is all, so I'll admit I'm wrong and move on.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gort posted:

That doesn't make sense to me as an argument against organ donation being opt-out.

There are insufficient organs for transplant. There are people who are already organ donors, so we get their organs. There are people who never want to be organ donors and would opt-out if they needed to. There are people who don't care about the issue, so they don't opt into being organ donors now, and wouldn't opt out of being organ donors under the hypothetical "opt-out" scheme.

Regardless of how many people have organs that are unsuitable for transplant, going to an opt-out scheme increases the number of healthy organs that are suitable for transplant, because you get the healthy proportion of the "don't care" people added into the pool.

To illustrate:

Let's say there are 100 million people in the country. 25% are organ donors. 25% object to the idea and will never be organ donors. 50% don't care.
Let's say half of them have organs that are unsuitable for transplant for whatever reason.

Under our current opt-in scheme, you've got 25 million people who'll donate their organs, but half have bad organs so you've only got a total of 12.5 million good donors.

Under an opt-out scheme, you've got those 25 million, plus the 50 million who don't care, and half have bad organs so you've got a total of 37.5 million good donors.

The idea that types of death that make organs unsuitable for transplant are on the rise has no bearing on whether an opt-out scheme is a good idea.

Listen you obviously don't know science.

If they do something to improve the availability of organs it means they're want to do that. Opt-out donations are but one step. The most effective step would be to legalize killing people for their organs.

At the same time, the loony left who support opt-out donations also support the NHS being free to everyone, even foreign immigrats.

This is war against white people and supporting opt-out organ donation clearly means you want to slaughter all the good white people so the browns can steal all our organs.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Tories are at danger of plummeting below 100,000 members, which would make them the fourth biggest membership in the country, after Labour (570,000), the SNP (116,000) and the Lib Dems (106,000).

The Green membership is at around 51,000 and UKIP's membership is 27,000.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I made a success of Sealion in hearts of iron 4 and it wasn't even that hard. Check loving mate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Nazi things named after sea mammals, seehunds are cool.

Midget submarines that are actually submersible will be a valuable addition to the post-Brexit supply chain.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They'll help us access the single market

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nice reference to include Michael Gove on the far right.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

He finally managed to flush himself down the toilet! along with the rest of us

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

TinTower posted:

The Tories are at danger of plummeting below 100,000 members, which would make them the fourth biggest membership in the country, after Labour (570,000), the SNP (116,000) and the Lib Dems (106,000).

I read somewhere recently that the average age of the Tory party membership is now something silly like 76 - does anyone have a link to stats like that?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The average? Jesus

I wish time would hurry up and waste all these olds that keep loving up everything for people who have a future

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
72 apparently, but I can't see a source for that

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/tory-party-conference-manchester-theresa-may-win-over-youth-boris-johnson-protests-brexit-a7974396.html

"Although ministers will doubtless be surrounded by young faces for the cameras, the average age of a Tory party member is now 72. No wonder the Tories plan to set up a new youth movement."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Christ. Wait a decade and they'll all be dead.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

mediadave posted:

72 apparently, but I can't see a source for that

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/tory-party-conference-manchester-theresa-may-win-over-youth-boris-johnson-protests-brexit-a7974396.html

"Although ministers will doubtless be surrounded by young faces for the cameras, the average age of a Tory party member is now 72. No wonder the Tories plan to set up a new youth movement."

Yeah, but that includes a bunch of 1000 year old vampires that throw off the average.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediadave posted:

The Young Tories will be anyone below retirement age.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

mediadave posted:

I read somewhere recently that the average age of the Tory party membership is now something silly like 76 - does anyone have a link to stats like that?

It's more like 60. But party membership across most parties trends towards olds, as they have the free time to engage in that sort of thing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The average? Jesus

I wish time would hurry up and waste all these olds that keep loving up everything for people who have a future

I remember reading something rather depressing in the healthcare megathread a few years back about orientation questions for old people suffering from dementia. They barely remembered their own name, didn't know what year or even decade it currently was, but if you asked them who the current president was, hoo boy.

Long after most of their mind is gone, plenty of people seem to wither down to nothing but burning hate until their very last breath. I will never celebrate death, but I can at least be glad when these people are gone.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think they're like that because they're old. I just think their generation was trash. Broken by war or the immediate consequences. WW II, rationing, waves of immigration, the collapse of the empire, the cold war. It all came together to produce a completely hosed up idiotic hateful generation. They want to go back to a world that didn't even exist for long. The concept of Britain, so ethereal that it can't be defined lest it shatter into a million patriotic tears, is all they have to cling onto. The world is now smart phones, google and people of other races. They could have joined this world, but chose not to. Now they can't. They're too old, too set in their ways and they have nothing. I would be sympathetic but they're assholes and dying alone is too good for them.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

TinTower posted:

Couldn't they just spin that into being an "elite" club. Seems like that would, if anything, be a point of pride for them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't think they're like that because they're old. I just think their generation was trash. Broken by war

People actually old enough to have served in World War 2 break the Tory mould if I recall correctly and tend to vote more lefty. Those are the people who elected Attlee, remember.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

People actually old enough to have served in World War 2 break the Tory mould if I recall correctly and tend to vote more lefty. Those are the people who elected Attlee, remember.
Yeah it's people whose core formative years were defined by air raid sirens, rationing, and constant news propaganda about the evil foreigner, not people who were adults with things to do.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Tories' core support is boomers who don't realise things have changed a bit since the 1950s.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

How does anyone know? According to the BBC the Tories haven't released any figures since 2013 when they had 150k members.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't think they're like that because they're old. I just think their generation was trash. Broken by war or the immediate consequences. WW II, rationing, waves of immigration, the collapse of the empire, the cold war. It all came together to produce a completely hosed up idiotic hateful generation. They want to go back to a world that didn't even exist for long. The concept of Britain, so ethereal that it can't be defined lest it shatter into a million patriotic tears, is all they have to cling onto. The world is now smart phones, google and people of other races. They could have joined this world, but chose not to. Now they can't. They're too old, too set in their ways and they have nothing. I would be sympathetic but they're assholes and dying alone is too good for them.

Have to agree with this. According to the statistics the baby boomer generation spent more and had a better standard of living than the previous generation when they were young, and now they're old they spend more and have a better standard of living than the generation after them. They have always been on top regardless of where they were in the age bracket.

It's also backed up by the kind of politics they've supported: increasing state spending when they were younger and could benefit from it, taking all the state assets for themselves under Thatcher, and now strangling state spending in order to prop up the value of those assets at the expense of anyone younger than they are. Just a selfish, selfish generation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jabby posted:

How does anyone know? According to the BBC the Tories haven't released any figures since 2013 when they had 150k members.

Someone high-up in the Tories, apparently.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

jabby posted:

According to the statistics the baby boomer generation spent more and had a better standard of living than the previous generation when they were young, and now they're old they spend more and have a better standard of living than the generation after them.

I think some generations are getting muddled here, the baby boom was after the war. Also poor people don't live as long, which must skew the surviving elderly rightwards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, this is the tail end of the Silent Generation being unfortunately not.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/913783126429708288

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Brutal.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
She was locked inside cerebro to amplify her brexit thought processes, JEREMY.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I posted this in the GBS Brexit thread but I find it funny how much public infrastructure in Britain is publicly owned without the public knowing about it - by other EU governments that is (article doesn't list anywhere near all of the companies in question, as quick perusal of wikipedia shows, albeit now it's not the EU but Abu Dhabi/Kuwait/China. ehh, dunno)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 29, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I've always found it crazy that countries just privatise their water/gas/electricity services. We all know by now that the myth of "private sector efficiency" is complete bollocks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

I've always found it crazy that countries just privatise their water/gas/electricity services. We all know by now that the myth of "private sector efficiency" is complete bollocks.

WE do. It's still been orthodoxy since the 80s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The power of voter apathy.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Thanks for this, it's a really interesting bit of gossip- and amazing if true, since it puts the tory grassroots at the same level as the lib dems, which is incredible given the last election %s.

One wee thing though, why didn't you post the source originally? Makes it a lot easier to chat about when everyone's on the same page and it's not just some twitter rumour

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/913905088804130816

https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/913906100327546881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Speaking of Boris being an utter prick, has there ever been a campaign like Labour's current one to unseat prominent members of the government? It seems like such an obvious idea to punish those most responsible for loving the country by funnelling resources into taking their seat, but I don't remember it being done before. Some kind of gentleman's agreement to keep politics a game for the rich and powerful?

• Locked thread