Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's

A day early

Okay then

EDIT: New page, Symbiosis is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the synopsis we recieved from someone who saw an advance screening that said we didn't get any answers to any of the questions was wrong to an extent.

In the first part, they confirm Meicoomon contains a shard of Apocalymon's data, and that it was suppressed by Homeostasis placing her with a partner. Her running out of control means that this isn't working as well anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I cannot express how happy and overjoyed that makes me on every single level

Please Tri do not gently caress this up

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It does make him a bit less random and irrelevant to the overall narrative.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Will he finally get some of that pizza?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uhm.

UHM

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh BABY

Don't donk this Tri

Don't donk this

Do not

DO NOT

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Don't get too excited.

They're a cameo when Maki's despair causes her to wander into the Dark Ocean. That's the same as what happened to Hikari, Miyako, and Ken in 02. Not necessarily an indication that the Dark Ocean is going to be behind everything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a bit of a lull in the middle, but all in all, the best movie yet I think. Most action yet, we got a few answers, and the stage is set for the final act.

Hikari telling Homeostasis to bugger off and stop using her body for its own purposes may be my favorite part.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Early reports say the final movie will be named "Our Future" with a release window of Summer 2018.

Conflicting reports about the poster.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Did not expect End of Evangelion to jump into Digimon. I was half expecting Komm Susser Todd to start and everyone becomes tang. I take it that crazy fusion has no name at the moment cause holy poo poo. If the final movie plays wants to end on it's feet, it's going to have to put in a lot of effort and wrap quite a bit of loose ends, but after this movie and if they're targeting summer next year then that gives them time to do it right.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm so glad Tri only had one bad moment and went back to being good. Pacing's still super wonky, but that's been a thing for Tri in general for trying to be both movies and a series so I don't think it's even worth complaining about anymore. The movie this time was very good in dealing emotional blows as it wanted to, even if it undercut itself for the sake of cheap, unfitting comedy at points. I expected the Meiko focus to make me not care, but the focus going not only on her but on the meaning of being CHOSEN Children greatly helped, as did finally settling in stone that both Digital Deities are awful.

Taichi's reluctance turning into him deciding to take the hard choices for the team was good, and a show of character development. His "death" hits as it should, and Yamato taking over the goggleboy spot was very strong. Meiko's sadness and despair finally leading her to accept Meicoomon dying as the only way out is depressing as hell in the best of ways. The idea that Meicoomon is basically a chance for Apocalymon to redeem himself is great, bringing the most pointless final boss in Digimon history and making him a vital part of the new series without anyone noticing was a masterful move. The fact that it is ultimately a failure, and how it only leads to an even greater threat than Apocalymon in Raguelmon and then the Raguelmon-Ophanimon FM fusion only sets in stone just how much everyone, literally everyone, failed to do their job. And Hikari just making the situation worse in her despair, geez. It was chilling.

But Hikari just telling Hoemostasis to gently caress off is the one time she's ever had a personality so I can forgive her for losing herself in despair at her brother's apparent death and just bringing the end of the world. That was really neat. I kinda hoped Ophanimon Falldown Mode would have something to do in the movie though, but I guess Hikari's time to evolve will be at the very end of this journey.

It was a good movie, but man, I have no idea how Tri's going to close itself. We still have one evolution, two big bads, their respective Mega-level Royal Knight underlings, the entire thing about the 02 Children, and Himekawa to close. That's a lot of plots. I hope it doesn't mess up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Appmon finale status: made me cry

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I kinda just skipped to the last episode/segment of this new Tri and saw a video of the spoopy scene. Seemed fine, but i'm not really motivated to see the whole thing.

I kinda dig, kinda don't dig, that Yggdrasil/evil gennai just have complete and total control of the situation, up to and including the chosen children's conflicts making ties break with omeostasis or whatever and trigger some sorta hyper virus in Gatomon. Like, it's neat that they're being played, and Taichi screaming about not knowing just who the gently caress they're even supposed to fight was fun... but at the same time it feels kinda dumb how every drama is just a plan from the baddies in hopes of destroying the world.

Just feels kinda empty tho, we're at the final act and it's a big ol' digimon boss up there while Yggdrasil wants to destroy both worlds again. The kids didn't figure poo poo out, Yggdrasil just finally put a target they can punch the problems out of.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

uh. I'm not sure you understood what happened. The final boss is two of their own. The solution to this is emphatically NOT just "punch the final boss" to death.

Yggdrasil's motives are also a bit more complex than what you're describing. Yeah they're not super deep but it wants to basically free Digimon from the influence of humans. Destroying both worlds isn't on the table.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly everything new I hear about Tri gives me all the more reason to be glad that I decided it's better to just ignore it's existence, much like how I do with 02's epilogue and that extremely depressing Tamers CD Drama

Seriously I see no way they can end this and not have it be a confusing mess, especially in how it relates to 02

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From what I've gathered, and TFR can correct me on this

I'm going to be seeing this tomorrow

Ygg, on top of the other reasons TFR mentioned, wants to eliminate Apocalymon for good. Which means wiping out Mei. Homeo is trying to preserve Mei's life by partnering her with humanity and suppressing the apocalyptic nightmare inside of her. It's a matter of ideologies- how do you deal with this problem. Do you kill it and hope THAT works this time, or do you try and redeem it despite the inherent risks involved there. Apocalymon is a seriously twisted entity, in a literal sense, whose very presence warped time and space, so even just a shard of it being in Mei is corrupting poo poo and making things go bad. So both sides have valid points and valid reasons for what they're doing. They're primarily represented by Alphamon and Jesusmon, and Alphamon DID actively save the Chosen from the corrupted Kuwagamon to begin with.

The big mystery for me is where the season 2 cast play into things and why Alphamon(?) took them out in the beginning.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

From what I've gathered, and TFR can correct me on this

I'm going to be seeing this tomorrow

Ygg, on top of the other reasons TFR mentioned, wants to eliminate Apocalymon for good. Which means wiping out Mei. Homeo is trying to preserve Mei's life by partnering her with humanity and suppressing the apocalyptic nightmare inside of her. It's a matter of ideologies- how do you deal with this problem. Do you kill it and hope THAT works this time, or do you try and redeem it despite the inherent risks involved there. Apocalymon is a seriously twisted entity, in a literal sense, whose very presence warped time and space, so even just a shard of it being in Mei is corrupting poo poo and making things go bad. So both sides have valid points and valid reasons for what they're doing. They're primarily represented by Alphamon and Jesusmon, and Alphamon DID actively save the Chosen from the corrupted Kuwagamon to begin with.

The big mystery for me is where the season 2 cast play into things and why Alphamon(?) took them out in the beginning.

Not quite, Burkion.

A shard of Apocalymon was inside Meicoomon when she was born. Homeostasis tried to suppress its power by giving her a partner to suppress it. Unfortunately Meicoomon kept turning savage and eventually started spreading infection.

Yggdrasil wants Meicoomon to exist. Meicoomon infecting the digital world caused Homeostasis, who cares more about preserving balance and harmony than morality, decides to reset everything. This is all according to Yggy's plan, because it brings back all the Digimon killed by the real world and Digital Worlds intersecting, which he turns into his army. He's also made Meicoomon into a lynchpin, and seemingly wants Meicoomon and Tailmon's fusion in its plans too. In short, Yggy wants to free Digimon from humanity and is aggravating Meicoomon's powers to make it happen. Meicoomon and Tailmon fusing was intended for reasons unknown, but it seems that they're the two opposite Digi-Eggs from Reunion's opening scene, which may imply they've always had a connection and that thus relates to Hikari's powers somehow.

Yggdrasil's motives aren't noble so much as he just knows keeping the Chosen alive will help him spread the infection and assist Homeostasis in the reboot. Homeostasis meanwhile just wants to do its job, and when the Chosen Children don't do the job right or Meiko can't control Meicoomon, it has no problem casting them aside or sacrificing them to achieve its overall goals. The same thing basically led to Maki having to sacrifice her partner. Homeostasis isn't evil, it's just very black and white in its pursuit of balance. Yggdrasil meanwhile seems to have some values and an ideological hatred of humanity.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 30, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Might just be me coming from an American & Catholic moral perspective, but honestly it just seems like both Homeostasis and Yggdrasil are evil assholes and the universe would be better with both gone

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, without Homeostasis, there wouldn't be any Chosen Children. So that's kind of empirically wrong.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So can someone give me a quick rundown on who these two sides are again, in this case? Generally it seems like each media franchise for Digimon uses one or the other, if at all, and this is the first time I can remember both of them being directly relevant at once. It's getting a bit confusing for me, trying to remember which side is which and is fighting for and responsible for what.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

So can someone give me a quick rundown on who these two sides are again, in this case? Generally it seems like each media franchise for Digimon uses one or the other, if at all, and this is the first time I can remember both of them being directly relevant at once. It's getting a bit confusing for me, trying to remember which side is which and is fighting for and responsible for what.

I'll try to keep it as simple as possible, as I know I have a tendency to overexplain.

Homeostasis is the "being of light" that appeared in Digimon Adventure and possessed Hikari in order to explain the backstory of the Chosen Children. It seeks to keep the balance and create harmony, and to do that it and Gennai's group created the Chosen Children/Digidestined. Before "Tri", Homeostasis was only named in the Adventure novels and the Xros Wars manga, which was a crossover of sorts, and has only appeared in Adventure and the aforementioned manga.

Yggdrasil is a new player in Adventure continuity, presumably a powerful artificial intelligence who is revered as a god-like figure. It wants to destroy humanity for "corrupting" Digimon, and for that reason it set in motion the events that caused the Reboot, so it could gain an army from the Digimon that would be reborn by resetting the Digital World. Yggdrasil's most prominent appearances have been in Digimon Savers, Digimon Xevolution, the Digimon Next manga, and several video games.

Homeostasis's servant is Hackmon/Jesmon, who acts as Homeostasis's agent due to Homeostasis lacking a physical body.

Yggdrasil's servants are Alphamon and the Mysterious Man who masquerades as Ken Ichijouji and looks like Gennai. He will henceforth be referred to as "Gennot".

The real Gennai is missing in action, but a relationship chart for the Tri movies put him on Homeostasis's side, and he and his counterparts worked together in the past.

Maki Himekawa is one of the original five Chosen Children, and has been working with Yggdrasil in order to get her partner back. Her former boyfriend, and fellow Chosen Child, Daigo Himekawa, has thrown in with Taichi and his group.

Finally, the current Chosen Children are on different sides from EVERYONE, because Homeostasis has decided things are so bad it can't rely on the Chosen Children anymore. Despite being on opposite sides from Yggdrasil, it has a nasty habit of doing exactly what Yggdrasil wants.

... That wasn't as simple as I hoped but I hope it explains things.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks, that helps a bit. Though honestly the last movie is going to have a LOT to explain. We better get a massive rear end text dump, because good poo poo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This movie honestly filled in a lot of the necessary blanks, in my opinion. We know what Meicoomon is and where she came from, so all that's really left is to shed some light on what the real deal is behind the Gennais and some idea of what Yggdrasil's relationship to everything is.

I don't expect a very thorough one because what Yggdrasil is is typically left ambiguous. It took us over a decade to find out what Homeostasis is even called in something that isn't a Japanese only novel, also, so I'm not expecting much there either. They generally try to keep these guys as mysterious. Xevolution doesn't ever imply what Yggdrasil's motives are, and while Savers tosses out some nuggets of backstory, what Yggy is or where it came from is still a big mystery.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

While true, we also still have to deal with the 02 kids, possibly do SOMETHING with the Dark Ocean (which is explicitly called out as NOT the Digital World in 02, so it should be weird Himekawa is there), deal with Himekawa's whole thing, and, since he's been reborn, probably kill Leomon again.

Lots to do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Himekawa being there is consistent with how it was portrayed in 02. People who have fallen into darkness and depression wander into it. Dagomon's servants following her also make sense because Maki had the same kind of powers Hikari did when Homeostasis possessed her. I don't think it's a big part of what's going on, it's just a natural set of circumstances for Himekawa to be in.

But I'm also in the minority that the Dark Ocean should never be fully explained because that takes all the terror and intrigue out of it. It's inspired by Lovecraft, so let it be this vague scary thing.

Honestly, I'm not expecting the 02 kids to be a big deal even in the end. I mean, the third movie shows the Adventure kids being kidnapped, and ends without showing them being rescued, so it's not like there isn't precedent for that. At most I expect them to get a quick thing at the end. The whole thing more or less exists to get them out of the way so the focus can be on the original eight, and not much else.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I didn't really think of it like that, but I guess you're right. She just gets there because DARKNESS!, Kingdom Hearts style. Though I mean, she's sinking into its depths. It just feels like that should be relevant somehow, since she doesn't have an Angewomon to save her like Kari does. I just hope this isn't how they're writing her out of the plot, like "and then Himekawa was never seen again", plot line over.

Also, yeah, it shouldn't be explained, but that doesn't mean you can't do more with it. Especially after the 02 kids dumped pretty much the one villain they couldn't beat into it.

You're probably right that they're not going to be relevant, because this isn't a movie about them, but it has never felt right that no one really loving cares they're missing. I mean, Evil Gennai keeps using Ken's body, they fight a dark Imperialdramon in the second movie, and Kari and TK still use their 02 Digivices. Obviously that series happened, and poo poo in it is important, but no one seems to care in-story.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine Maki's arc will be finalized in part 6 through whatever Daigo's got going on.

Don't get me wrong. I'm frustrated by how that whole plot point is being handled too, and I can't enjoy most of the third movie because of it. But I also figure it's something clumsily done because they wanted the movie to focus on a particular set of characters and not out if any real malice towards the cast. It's pretty much something I've moved on from, and honestly, they've said this thing is gonna connect to the epilogue somehow so really, in the end I know they're gonna be fine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

Xevolution doesn't ever imply what Yggdrasil's motives are, and while Savers tosses out some nuggets of backstory, what Yggy is or where it came from is still a big mystery.

This isn't really true. At the end of X-Evolution, Dukemon X says that Yggdrasil did what it did to survive. That's consistent with the "zero canon" of the series, where Project X happens because the Digital World can't take any more Digimon, and the same seems to apply to X-Evolution, up to a new Digital World being born in the end for the Digimon-X and other survivors. And in Savers, we know it is the "WiZ9000 Computer"... whatever that means, but it seems to imply it was created by someone. Wikimon says so, but I can't remember if it was actually said in-series.

I don't think we know anything about XW!Yggdrasil though, other than how Bagramon wanted revenge against it but arrived too late because Masaru had already done the job.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know all that. But those are "that just raises even more questions" sorts of answers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

Don't get me wrong. I'm frustrated by how that whole plot point is being handled too, and I can't enjoy most of the third movie because of it. But I also figure it's something clumsily done because they wanted the movie to focus on a particular set of characters and not out if any real malice towards the cast. It's pretty much something I've moved on from, and honestly, they've said this thing is gonna connect to the epilogue somehow so really, in the end I know they're gonna be fine.

The problem here is that Tri still has to connect with 02's epilogue so taking off Davis and his friends off the board like that and then not being addressed at all afterwards is just bad writing.

Plus, you know there were tons of ways to take them off the equation that didn't need to have them killed on screen.

EDIT:

Oh and here's the final poster

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/914037685622312960

More Mei

yay.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 30, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No one got killed, but I'm not really super eager to keep arguing this.

And of course Meiko is gonna be important in the finale. What did everyone expect there?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having the epilogue exist as is would be a collosal mistake, so I hope the way they touch on it is by having it altered

Preferably NOT by having the 02 cast remain dead, but you know. It's not like dying stopped the 01 cast from kicking rear end

In fact that just pissed them off more. Going to laugh if Tai spontaneously comes back to life and punches both Ygg and Homeo in their incorporeal faces

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My biggest problem with how they've handled the 02 cast is that from a Doylist angle it makes sense(if still pretty poorly handled), but from a Watsonian perspective it makes absolutely no sense at all, which unfortunately is a common problem in Japanese media

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Who the gently caress cares about Tri, Appmon finale.

If I thought Tri yesterday hit the right notes, I don't anymore, because holy poo poo I had to try really hard to stop myself from crying. Everything in the episode was on point, from Haru's resolve, to Minerva's sacrifice and Leviathan's raw physical beatdown, to Yuujin's sadness and eventual sacrifice, to Haru deciding to properly answer a choice that demanded sacrifice. Basically everything seemed dedicated to give us a bittersweet finale and it goddamn worked.

Plus the last part with everyone was cute. Rei and Hackmon still being surprisingly intense and cold about creme brulee was hilarious, as was Den'emon having a real body again but being kind of in an awful state. And Haru deciding to study AIs for the future is a very good ending point, especially with that last shot giving us the hope that he did indeed bring Yuujin back.

What an amazing finale. What a great show. It'll become another series that the lovely fandom hates and I dislike even thinking about it, and part of it was because of someone calling it a "pretty good Digimon-like series". gently caress off. It's as much of a Digimon series as the rest and it's a really good Digimon show too. I'll dearly miss it, with a great cast of characters, a surprisingly complex final boss, an actual focus on the "Digi" part of the title unlike most of the shows, and just a bunch of things that were great even if they took a bit to properly appear.

Now to wait for the last chapter of Tri and whatever series comes next. I won't judge it from its premise, because I thought this would suck and here I am, a second away from crying like a goddamn baby. It's taking a lot of strength not to.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I too cried like an infant through all of that.

I can't believe by the end I had sympathy for Leviathan too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

uh. I'm not sure you understood what happened. The final boss is two of their own. The solution to this is emphatically NOT just "punch the final boss" to death.

Yggdrasil's motives are also a bit more complex than what you're describing. Yeah they're not super deep but it wants to basically free Digimon from the influence of humans. Destroying both worlds isn't on the table.

I mean, it's not the final solution, but my cynical rear end bets that they'll go "no, we can't fight our friends! No! We MUST fight out friends, to save them! Friends, listen to me! Deep down... we're friends!!" and that'll be enough to take down Yggdrasil's plans for it to either collapse or come out and get punched.

That's quite a bit cooler, but still kinda eh to me.
Like, obviously i'm missing too much context because i'm apathetic about Tri now, but I can't help but side with omeostasis because she's loving right, the kids failed time and time again. She said they should kill Meiccoomon and they say no until it becomes such a big problem that they agree to anyways, only for it to become An Even Bigger Problem.

I wish I had cared for Applimon when it started. It seems like quite a neat fix of Digimon content that I want, but chugging down a 52 episode anime is hard nowadays...

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 1, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I can't watch Tri 5 for another couple days. Without giving specific spoilers can someone tell me if they address the 02 issue in this one?

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I can't watch Tri 5 for another couple days. Without giving specific spoilers can someone tell me if they address the 02 issue in this one?

Man

No

Oh no

No

No

Nope

No

Oh My No

Move along nothing to see here

In other news I have seen the new movie! It was better than the last one in my eyes, because I still like 3 the best and that's just something we'll have to disagree with each other on TFR, but it's hit on a major non spoiler problem that I'm having with it

The fights kind of really suck. Like, they're about equivalent to the fights in most of Adventure 01. Which *IS NOT A GOOD THING*

The animation looks nice and all but Jesus Christ they best be saving something amazing for the finale because they did not bring any of it to anything impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I wish I had cared for Applimon when it started. It seems like quite a neat fix of Digimon content that I want, but chugging down a 52 episode anime is hard nowadays...

A protagonist or the center of the universe would not show such a weak attitude. I'm totally not feeling this, man.

You don't need to watch it all at once! Just watch it bit by bit, it's worth it.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

No.