Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The first light change sounds like a nice step in the right direction.

Ugh, loving weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
weather is similar to counterspell, an anti fun design

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'm unreasonably excited for a bunch of agile skellige units and a bunch of minor numbers tuning.

Bring on the patch, CDPR

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Weather is neat and I'm all for it as long as it serves to open up the design space instead of limiting it, but the devs have had a really bad sense of how to balance ongoing effects and keep accidentally designing metas where weakass tech cards like first light and shackles are necessary/worthless. Buffing first light is a good thing.

The real question I have with weather is, where can it go? "Damage high/low unit in row(s)" is a pretty generic affect that the seven existing weathers cover pretty well. What's next?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Right now I'm more curious what the big agile buff is leading up to. They implied something big was coming with this change happening first. I think the "preferred rows" where a unit gets +1 for being on the "right" row is the most common idea, but I've seen some goofier ideas that are way out there. My favorite was a Reddit post where melee row cards would buff each neighboring melee unit when played, units played on ranged row buffed themselves and damaged an enemy unit, and siege row units gained armor and had some passive effect like buffing all your direct damage effects.

Something that brings a lot of flavor back to the board state like that would be cool as heck (if hell to balance)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Patch is out, and so is the Festival.

quote:

New features

Mahakam Ale Festival Event has started!
It is now possible to change which card is displayed in the Player Profile!
Several more units are now Agile (can be played on any row).
Completing single player challenges will now grant experience points. Players who had completed them before the patch will receive the experience retroactively.

Neutral/General

Merigold's Hailstorm will now only Damage Bronze and Silver Units.
Clear Skies will now also Boost any Damaged Ally under Weather by 1.
School of the Wolf: Eskel Power changed from 5 to 6.

Monsters

Harpy's Counter will now only react to non-Spying Allied Beasts.
Dagon Power changed from 6 to 5.
Wild Hunt Navigator has gained the following Category tags: Mage
Griffin Power changed from 8 to 9.
Wild Hunt Hound Power changed from 3 to 4.
Wild Hunt Rider Power changed from 8 to 9.

Skellige

Restore will now Resurrect a Bronze or Silver Unit from your Graveyard and set its Base Power to 10.
Blueboy Lugos Power changed from 7 to 8.
War Longship Power changed from 6 to 7.
Clan Brokvar Archer Power changed from 7 to 8.
Clan an Craite Warrior Power changed from 10 to 11.
Clan Brokvar Hunter Power changed from 5 to 6.
Clan Tuirseach Axeman Power changed from 4 to 5.

Northern Realms

Battering Ram will now Damage an Enemy by 2 instead of 3. Also, if it was Destroyed, it will Damage another Enemy by 3 instead of 2.
Blue Stripes Commando will now be played from Deck only when a different Temerian Ally with the same Power is be played.
Shani will now add 2 Armor instead of 5 to the Resurrected Unit.
Prince Stennis will now gain 3 Armor instead of 5.
Nenneke will now only be able to shuffle Units from your Graveyard into your Deck.
Foltest Power changed from 4 to 5.
Dijkstra Power changed from 3 to 4.
Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry Power changed from 8 to 7.
Reaver Hunter Power changed from 4 to 5.

Scoia'tael

Francesca has gained the following Category tags: Mage
Mahakam Marauder Power changed from 8 to 7.

Nilfgaard

Morvran Voorhis Power changed from 6 to 7.
Emhyr var Emreis Power changed from 6 to 7.
Tibor Eggebracht Power changed from 8 to 10.
Alba Armored Cavalry Power changed from 3 to 4.

Some stealth nerfs to NR with Battering Ram and Blue Stripe Commandos.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what the hell is this awful new mouse pointer

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ahahaha, the easter egg for premium Priscilla is that some strobe lights activate and she parties twice as hard briefly. (Got to see it in the ale festival)

Ale festival in general is pretty sweet. I was pretty down on Hearthstone's pve modes, but Gwent almost seems more suited to doing fun PvE content than it is PvP content. Reeeeally looking forward to Thronebreaker now.

Beat all three expert modes, they are all some pretty fun little puzzles. Some tips for all three if you're really stuck:

1. You can exploit the AI not calculating dwarf spawns/brew ticks. Win first round, aim to get the AI to pass round 2 when you're out of cards and losing by 5-6 points... enough that two drunk dwarves+ale tick will push you into a win after their safe pass.

2. The closest to a straight up puzzle, the correct play order is Rhapsodic Melody, Priscilla, Rhapsodic Melody, Priscilla, Power Chords, Priscilla. You're on your own for which cards to target!

3. The card that consumes your weakest unit is insane, but if you can trick the AI into playing it at a bad time, there's virtually no more power left in their deck. I dry passed round 1 (lol coin flip advantage) then used a buff on the crones to get the AI to pass round 2 with me going down 3 cards (you might be able to do it in 2?) to win the round. Then in the last round I played a Priestess of Freya, it ate it, and I killed the stupid consume monster who now had only two strength with a dwarf and Zoltan. Despite the lost CA, I still won by like 30 or 40 power.

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 29, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

One last thing, your mill value list.

NR:
Battering Ram
Blue Stripes Commando
Dijkstra
Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry
Nenneke
Prince Stennis
Shani

SK:
Restore

Neutral:
Merigold's Hailstorm

ST:
Mahakam Marauder

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Quad posting now that I'm done with ale festival and milling poo poo and looking at the state of Skellige post buffs

quote:

Restore will now Resurrect a Bronze or Silver Unit from your Graveyard and set its Base Power to 10.
Blueboy Lugos Power changed from 7 to 8.
War Longship Power changed from 6 to 7.
Clan Brokvar Archer Power changed from 7 to 8.
Clan an Craite Warrior Power changed from 10 to 11.
Clan Brokvar Hunter Power changed from 5 to 6.
Clan Tuirseach Axeman Power changed from 4 to 5.

Restore change is interesting. It opens up more discard targets in a pinch (since you can hit a discarded priestess for a 10 point play on top of resurrect, or you can bring back a clan an craite raider and discard it from hand later) and is obviously strong with Queensguard. It's the same power level it was before if you're hitting a King Branned skirmisher. You can use it to refresh Olgierd if he gets killed in round two, and has a bit of meme potential with Prize-Winning Cow and is really, really good with Dorregaray, especially if you can then resurrect him again with Sigrdrifa. I suppose you could also do some stupid roach memes where you rez him in round 2, mulligan him back in the deck, and then slam a +10 power gold. Yeah, probably not on that last one.

Blueboy Lugos still sucks dick and is random and bad.

War Longship change is nice because Lugos can double dip a little bit when you want to get that last ship out of your deck to save mulligan. But since playing more than 2 longships is just too little tempo even at 7 power, you can't really benefit from your deck gaining +3 power otherwise, so it's a bit of a wash.

Brokvar Archer was already almost playable sometimes so a +1 power buff is nice. Expect to see it occasionally as a one of in some decks; Celano Harpies beware.

Clan an craite Warrior is almost a better Jutta an Dimun, but being slightly worse than what is probably the worst silver in the game isn't a good thing to be, even for a bronze. It just clashes too much with what an craite pulls in a self-wound deck, since self-wound decks cross-over almost exclusively with curse right now, and you'd rather pull Morkvarg or Olgierd than an 11 power bronze that already wounds itself for you. I feel like this card would have to be 7 or 8 power and strengthen itself as part of its deploy to see play.

Brokvar Hunter: already saw niche play with greatswords, now slightly better. Alright.

Axeman: The weakest card in any axemen deck, is now slightly better. I'd still rather do movement ST or spell ST for stronger pay off on gold weather play, sorry SK.

And there's also newly agile units! SK was one of the most row locked factions after the first agility buff, so I wonder what they got!

Shieldsmith
War Longship
Berserker Marauder (!! this is a big one and bumps up curse.dek's viability)
Clan Tuirseach Veteran (this is nice, the veterans naturally lined themselves up for Igni so being able to spread them is a good change)
Brokvar Archer (pretty sure this was still siege locked until today's patch)
Clan an Craite Warrior
Skjall (pretty sure this was siege locked, at least...)

Over all: The nerfs to NR does more for SK than the buffs do, I think. But hey, token buffs to unplayed cards are still buffs. :suicide:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
someone tell me how to do the expert mode version of the battle of the bards please, thx

edit: nvm, i figured it out. draig can steal units from your front row as well, hint hint

botany fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 29, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like agile cards most of the time but war longships was one of those cards I really wanted to stay row-locked. We'll see how it goes.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

There's a new option to disable premium animations for those with bad PCs or console plebs. Which is cool I suppose, however this means some 'people will no longer see your poor life decisionscool movie cards.

Now if there was a way to disable Chinese players so my games won't lag and disconnect all the time.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

No Wave posted:

I like agile cards most of the time but war longships was one of those cards I really wanted to stay row-locked. We'll see how it goes.

What is the reason for wanting certain cards to be rowlocked? I see reddit bitch about agile units a lot and I don't really get what being row locked serves other than flavor purposes. Doesn't units being agile add strategic depth compared to not having that choice to make when playing cards?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So It Goes posted:

What is the reason for wanting certain cards to be rowlocked? I see reddit bitch about agile units a lot and I don't really get what being row locked serves other than flavor purposes. Doesn't units being agile add strategic depth compared to not having that choice to make when playing cards?
Yeah I'm in favor of most things being agile (an unpopular opinion here if you check my recent post history). Longships specifically are fairly linear cards to play and are a bit oppressive if you play more than one so I'd prefer it to be easier to kill/damage multiple longships on the board at once. That said there aren't that many cards this is relevant to besides like an arachas venom + lacerate.

You can still scorch them at least which was always the best answer to >1 longship anyways.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Is there any estimate on the single player for gwent ?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The AleFest challenges are a lot of fun. I liked the bard one especially since it's basically just a logic puzzle. Some of the detail text on the event cards are really funny.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Ale Fest was a nice distraction, though I have gotten hit with the doesn't dispense level rewards bug. Hopefully my level 20 gold will show up eventually because I got like 4 levels off of this event alone. The Trollolo expert one was the hardest, but Minrads advice worked like a charm.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That beer sound they have for the Mahakam ale is the most delicious sounding noise I have ever heard. I cannot describe how thirsty it made me.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
no wave thirsty for some dwarves

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Give us the dang Priscilla avatar already, you see it during the ale fest and everything!!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I like the beerstein border that you get from the expert challenge. Way more cool that 1-1000 leaderboard borders, even if it won't be as rare.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

For some reason the game gave me 5 levels randomly (and all the rewards). I'm not complaining, I just don't know why.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The border is insanely good. By far the best they've ever done and cooler than I ever thought a border could be.

Challenge 2 on expert was wonderful.

Myrmidongs posted:

For some reason the game gave me 5 levels randomly (and all the rewards). I'm not complaining, I just don't know why.
The devs made it so that single player content gives levels now and you got retroactive credit.

I think I got a gold card, but everything has been nerfed at this point so I have no idea what I actually own anymore.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 30, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i've just starting getting around to doing ranked again for those sweet kegs and oh my lord. Starting from rank 9, I'm just shocked how many people make really simple mistakes. Playing weather cards, even gold ones, onto an empty board? I see that multiple times in a day. I'm afraid this stuff is leaving me very unprepared for the real meta at the top ranks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I made a Morvran Voorhis reveal deck and it's so much fun, definitely a nice change of pace from John Calveit spy spam.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
The post-patch meta is really not being kind to my spy nilfgaard. I'm going to have to tech a bit, but not sure what is the best counter to all the dagon and restore skellige that I keep bumping into.

Maybe I've also just hit my proper MMR, I was surprised at how easy it was to get to 4k this season while getting my 100 ore reward. Things were bound to get hard at some point I guess.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Restore Skellige, run at least two VMedics, maybe three. It doesn't stop all of the new tricks like Restore into a 20-point Gremist, but you can remove other key graveyard targets, and VMedics are good in every matchup to recycle Emissaries. Eskel is also a gold to consider if you're seeing a lot of Skellige; he's very strong against SK, and usually not bad against Dorfs (nuke a Marauder), Scoia'Spell (nuke an early Farseer if the opponent gets greedy and drops one before Quen), or NG mirrors (kill Enforcers). Not great against Dagon, though.

Dagon, you might consider running one or two Nz Standard Bearers to take care of the fog so you can save Vanhemar for a big Overdose. Peter's always a solid choice to put the brakes on the Nekker train. I'm assuming you're already running Infiltrators and Menno, of course; mark those Vrans early and you can either Menno one or trick your opponent into eating it himself with an Eki and slowing his consume chain. Iris also works very well against a Consume deck, as you can just feed her to a Vran and save your Enforcer pings for harpy eggs or some other more valuable target. Sweers is also a decent choice; just make sure to wait for the Nekker warriors. As a bonus, he's also decent against NR, especially Henselt, brilliant against Scoia'spell, and great against single-unit spam Dorfs (oops, did I just discard all your Agitator targets? Sucks to be you! :v: ).

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
As someone mostly playing a Scoiatel deck with Aglais in it, I loving love the new Restore. I can usually get even better use out of it than the person running it. Dwarven Agitator pulls a Mahakam Pyrotechnician for a total of 9+10+5 plus up to 9 damage from the Pyrotech.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No Wave posted:

That beer sound they have for the Mahakam ale is the most delicious sounding noise I have ever heard. I cannot describe how thirsty it made me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IeK-V-Dlbo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played my first game with the Northern Realms and holy poo poo the joy of thinking you're going to win by 1 and then losing by 1 is the greatest roller coaster I've felt in a long, long time.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Assuming I want to get through early ranks quickly, what's a good archetype these days? I've 5000 scraps so anything is game.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Seedge posted:

Assuming I want to get through early ranks quickly, what's a good archetype these days? I've 5000 scraps so anything is game.

Spell ST is one of the strongest at any level, and there's always Dagon (with or without consume).

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Coming back after the newest patch, I haven't met any northern realms lately. Which is nice for my mulligan ST deck because all I've been meeting so far are Spell ST and Dagon with the occasional Skellige. Its working surprisingly well against those decks and win rate shot up considerably. Aglais is great when you can copy restore or artifact compression. Maybe its different in pro ladder or high ranks but the new patch meta has been great for me.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just started recently and I was wondering if Skellige was worth running for a while? By that I mean just the plain old starter deck. I found an article from 6 months ago that talked about how to improve that deck as you get cards but I'll have to compare that to the changes since.

I planned on trying to net-deck this "budget" skellige deck but I am not even remotely close to being able to get the cards:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/32361-budget-curse-strongest-budget-deck-currently

EDIT: I have since started playing the Monsters starter deck and like that way more. Still don't know how to proceed though

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 4, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Skellige is in a weird place right. It seems to have gotten itself out of the dumpster, but it's all thanks to one card, Restore.

Monsters is still the best faction to start out and build your collection. Eredin is decent and you can build a more control focused deck or try out all those swarm decks around, and if you strugglin,g Dagon+Woodland Spirit+23 random cards can carry you to 4K.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the restore buff is a big of a deal, but so is weather getting nerfed and nr's points being reduced. skellige really failed to compete vs either of those.

tbh the snowball effects are why I'm glad they seem to finally be taking a lighter hand to nerfs/buffs now. if you buff a commonly played skellige unit by 1 point, well that can be anywhere from 2-6 points for them in an entire game, which is like a 5% buff to a deck's total point value. when you go and slam multiple factions up or down for 2-3 points, it's really hard to take note of what exactly your buffs and nerfs are doing because decks can vary as much as 30-40% in relation to each other from patch to patch.

Nigulus Rex posted:

I just started recently and I was wondering if Skellige was worth running for a while? By that I mean just the plain old starter deck. I found an article from 6 months ago that talked about how to improve that deck as you get cards but I'll have to compare that to the changes since.

I planned on trying to net-deck this "budget" skellige deck but I am not even remotely close to being able to get the cards:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/32361-budget-curse-strongest-budget-deck-currently

EDIT: I have since started playing the Monsters starter deck and like that way more. Still don't know how to proceed though

Curse is a decent starting point for a budget deck but it can't function without a lot of the silvers. silvers in general are some of Skellige's best cards, so they can make for a nice budget faction, but Monsters has a lot of cards universal to almost any Monster deck as well as a much more competitive budget deck in Eredin frost.

If you want to stick out Skellige, here's my advice for how to build them on a budget. I believe these are your starter Skellige cards, right?

First off, do the tutorial to unlock all the leaders and get some free kegs. They'll help quite a bit and hopefully you can pick up a few Skellige commons/rares, with any luck maybe even an epic/legendary. (look out for Coral and Madman Lugos for your legendary options, they're skellige's two best golds)

For your first trip to budget town, this is probably the bare minimum of what it takes to make a curse deck work

Getting a third priestess is most important, followed by Morkvarg/Olgierd and the Berserker Marauders. Savage Bears aren't the best but they can work well enough for being only rare and fleshing out your bronze slots. If you have Whale Harpooners or a combination of Herbalists with Mardroeme or Lacerate or Arachas Venom, you can immediately replace the An Craite Warriors, one of the Warcriers, and the Savage Bears with them, in that order.

Eventually you want to flesh out your silvers and bronzes like so with the caveat that mardroeme aren't 100% required (in fact lacerate/arachas venom may be better!)

From here you can look to get some Skellige golds (Lugos and Coral can both replace Triss and Geralt and be large improvements) or build towards bigger and better decks; getting Mork and Olgierd alone will put you most of the way towards building the somewhat meta Restore/Cerys decks, such as this: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/32346-swims-restore-skellige

e: ???? I Have no idea why that url won't parse and I can't get gwentdb to give me shortlinks without making an account, so I put in tinyurls.

Minera fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 4, 2017

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Building a competitive deck is pretty straight forward. Optimising it to be really good is the hard part.

Just pick a mechanic and build a deck around it. For example I built out an alright monsters movement deck the other weekend. Focus on moving/encouraging people to stack one row then punishing the stacked row.

Weather helps them to row stack for me (Dagon (+ foglet), Woodland, Silver Weather, Wild Hunt Hound). Drowners are obviously part of this deck. The silver movement guy Jotunn The Gold move and frost (Caranthir).

So that makes a movement core of

Bronze 10/15
Foglet
3x Drowner
3x Whild Hunt Hound
3x White Frost

Silver 2/6
Weather
Jotunn

Gold 2/4
Woodland
Caranthir

So now we need to punish the row stacking we create. Obviously Hailstorm is in there (3/6 Silver), Gold Speartip is really good here (3/4 Gold).

We also have the new card, Rotfiend, Bronze 8, deathwish damage all units on opposite row by 2. That could lead to some huge tempo swings. How do we activate it? Another new card, Cyclops - Bronze 7 - destroy an ally, damage a unit by its power and if deathwish boost by 3. Perfect combo for a huge tempo swing. How many of each is something I'm playing with.

I also like adding in an Ekimmara to add some carry over and another way to activate my rotfiends.

So a max bronze core of.
1x Foglet
3x Frost
3x Wild Hunt Hound
3x Drowners
3x Rotfiend
3x Cyclops
1x Ekimmara

17 total, so probably want to drop 2 (1x rot, 1x cyclops?) Or run 17 as mill defense.

We also have 3/6 silvers and an open gold slot to play with.
I like Monster Nest as it can be either a drowner or rotfiend when you can't find the one you need, (swapping out some more of these flex for consume also makes the behomoth potentially good from a tempo point of view)
Summoning Circle or spy is nice
Katakan also adds both tempo and graveyard hate as Skellige gets played more.

Gold, Renew is always good with woodland, caretaker might also be good

Its very fun and worth a go once you get sick of netdecks, just pick a mechanic and let it define most of your deck. It's hard to come up with something totally uncompetitive

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Been running restore Skellige for the past few days now and definitely having a lot of fun with it but I ran into non-stop Foltest yesterday. I'm not being directly countered by it (unless he Margarites my olgierd/mork but even so, that's not a hard counter) but I don't have a fantastic winrate against NR right now. What decks are strong vs the Foltest deck right now?

e: as I post this, not a single Foltest deck in sight

Knowlue fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So now that it's been a while since the patch making golds non-immune, can we all agree that it was a good change. I still think a couple cards are overly weak or weren't changed enough to account for the change (unseen elder), but I like the change overall. Looking back at all the changes that have been made since open beta, it's hard to say they haven't been for the better in the long-term. I remember stuff like the original weather "overnerf" and gold change being a little controversial but I think they worked out. Makes me sure I'm going to be more optimistic about the upcoming agile patch then I'm sure reddit will be.