Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope. No Bluetooth hardware is in the Switch.

The Switch does have Bluetooth hardware, the controllers connect via Bluetooth. That's how third party Bluetooth controllers like the 8bitdo connect too. But Bluetooth audio isn't enabled for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can buy a cheap Bluetooth broadcaster and put it in the headphone jack and that will work though

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nolgthorn posted:

It surprises me when people say stuff like this. The game is not 16 bit, the sprites clip through every available pixel on the screen, trees wave in the breeze.

Yea, I love the style. It looks really really nice and very crisp. The text and movement of text rules.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can buy a cheap Bluetooth broadcaster and put it in the headphone jack and that will work though

Link? Thanks for all the responses so far.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t you need that squid adapter and a cell phone to use headphones with the Switch?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Pretty sure people use 16 bit and pixel art interchangibly these days. Like you're not wrong but that type of pedantry is entirely irrelevant to that poster's comment and is very much a WELL ACTUALLY YOU GUYS *pushes glasses closer toward nose* type of contribution

I agree that the smooth 2d art clashes something fierce with the pixel look, especially that garish font, but I got over it pretty quickly. The pixel art itself is fantastic

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Louisgod posted:

Link? Thanks for all the responses so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...f9165018cbb417f

This is the UK link, somebody's sponsored link though I think. You can probably find the us version based on it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t you need that squid adapter and a cell phone to use headphones with the Switch?

You could use any audio mixer, that one is just splatoon branded.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cartoon Man posted:

No, that's only for if you want both game audio and chat audio through headphones. There's a headphone jack in the Switch itself for if you're playing handheld, and afaik you can stick a bluetooth dongle in there to use bluetooth headphones with it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

The Manticore posted:

I don't regret my time with it, but the back half through the finale feels kind of hollow and bad. Maybe watch the first or second chapter and see if the humor works for you.

That is disappointing. When I saw it, it instantly brought up my younger days of playing Maniac Mansion and the like... may still try to pick it up if it goes on sale at some point.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Playing SMW right now. I love this game so much you guys.

as a kid i liked my nes all fine and good but getting a super nintendo with super mario world was like the game that made me go "video games are awesome!!!!"

literally ran in the house every day after school just to get right to the snes and get GAMING

so much so that my parents instigated a "no video games on weekdays" rule in the house that persisted forever until i moved out :rip:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What kind of game is darkest dungeon?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

so much so that my parents instigated a "no video games on weekdays" rule in the house that persisted forever until i moved out :rip:

I never understood parents like this. Mine were pretty straight edge but in no way ever restricted us from any form of media or what we could do in our free time, barring downright idiotic poo poo. It was a very hands off approach when it came to this kind of stuff.

In contrast my friend's mom monitored his music like a hawk and burned his Harry Potter books lmao. She was really not a fan of OUR LORD AND SAVIOR LUCIFER I guess

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chernabog posted:

Turn based dungeon crawler with character permadeath.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

KingSlime posted:

I never understood parents like this. Mine were pretty straight edge but in no way ever restricted us from any form of media or what we could do in our free time, barring downright idiotic poo poo. It was a very hands off approach when it came to this kind of stuff.

In contrast my friend's mom monitored his music like a hawk and burned his Harry Potter books lmao. She was really not a fan of OUR LORD AND SAVIOR LUCIFER I guess

No better way to make your kids believe in witches and magic than to burn their books about witches and magic

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VideoGames posted:

NEW THREAD RULE:

"X when" posts are now verboten. Please report them and watch the probations fly! I think that particular 'joke' has now been run into the ground like a GBS 'cuck' meme.

Thank you all very much!

You are the best. :yayclod:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

creationist believer posted:

The Switch does have Bluetooth hardware, the controllers connect via Bluetooth. That's how third party Bluetooth controllers like the 8bitdo connect too. But Bluetooth audio isn't enabled for whatever reason.

Right, dunno why I keep forgetting bluetooth is what the controllers use nowadays. :negative:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Not a Children posted:

No better way to make your kids believe in witches and magic than to burn their books about witches and magic

Wonder what we as a generation/clump of generations will grow to fear irrationally as we age?

You know drat well it happens to us all!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chernabog posted:

okay, lets say you come to a town and its all hosed up and run down. there are monsters all over the place. and when I say monsters, I mean mind breaking horrors that cause disease and insanity. you command 4 intrepid heroes at a time by going into the hosed up places and killing these horrors, but along the way your people's minds and bodies break because of how hosed up it all is. you remedy this by letting them go to brothels and church and stuff, but they still bear the mental scars from these outings and do things like steal loot from you, freak out at the worst possible time and get your whole party killed, and when they die, they're dead for good. you gotta pick up another adventurer and ruin their life too.

theres a wide range of adventurers with unique abilities, but you will ruin their lives and they will probably die.

its turn based combat with a heavy emphasis on strategy and party positioning. and RNG that hates you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and when your party dies because you pressed too deep into the dungeon, you'll remember that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

KingSlime posted:

Wonder what we as a generation/clump of generations will grow to fear irrationally as we age?

You know drat well it happens to us all!!!

Micro-aggressions and out of context speech.... oh wait, too late

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Darkest Dungeon is great I have it on the iPad and I'm waiting for it to go on sale on steam.

I'm very much getting it on the switch.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

I couldn't play Magic: The Gathering for a while because in that game you summon DEMONS

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

KingSlime posted:

my parents didn't go that far off the deep end, it was mostly just a case of them thinking they didn't want video games to interfere with my school work

jokes on them i just watched a lot of tv instead and still never focused on my education

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Up until I was 12 the rule was no video games on weekdays and only educational television on the weekdays. The only exception was made for The Simpsons. Oh and we couldn't have sugary cereal on weekdays either.

This sounds bad but this was the mid 90's-00's and History and Discovery Channel were both awesome.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The funny thing about parents like this is that they're rarely logically consistent. For example my wife's parents forbade her from Harry Potter and other fantasy books because they were about magic but loved the Lord of the Rings. It was just whatever their church told them to be mad about. They wouldn't have let her play D&D but had no problem with games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

please don't derail about how the difference was that Tolkien was a Christian

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

KingSlime posted:

Pretty sure people use 16 bit and pixel art interchangibly these days. Like you're not wrong but that type of pedantry is entirely irrelevant to that poster's comment and is very much a WELL ACTUALLY YOU GUYS *pushes glasses closer toward nose* type of contribution

I agree that the smooth 2d art clashes something fierce with the pixel look, especially that garish font, but I got over it pretty quickly. The pixel art itself is fantastic

*accidentally leaves a smudge, has to take the glasses off to clean them*

I think it felt a bit like that kind of a contribution while I was pressing the submit button. To me when I look at the screen I see pixel art/16bit graphics. But it scrolls smoothly, sprites pass over one another smoothly, sprites rotate, the lines for the golf ball are smooth. All of that is necessary but it doesn't detract from the graphics.

If there are areas of the game that are pixely and others that are not due to a mix of the best of both possible worlds. Then smooth text text boxes fits into the category of better when it isn't pixely.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
To me it just makes it look like an Android game made in RPGMaker. Not saying it is and it's a fun game, but that's what that mix of pixel art and razor sharp HD text and menus signals to me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nah, it's still 4v4, it's just that each team is composed of two pairs of friends. It's nice.

Well this is perfectly doable, I just want me and a buddy on the same team vs others

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Now that Ubisoft and Nintendo are super best friends they should make a Nintendo-themed Trials game for the Switch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The argument goes they don't want you to gang up against random kids but then then there is no foundation for playing with friends in 1v1 games soooooo

You can 1v1, just that it's only by local multiplayer. And not really that fun, honestly.

Dr Cheeto posted:

What you're looking for is in private matches

Or this I guess, I've never actually tried to do it online

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the important thing to remember about Darkest Dungeon is that the town is the main character, not your roster. Everyone will eventually die. Luckily, you can eventually skip over a lot of leveling and grinding with stagecoach roster upgrades, or even play Radiant Mode which gives you money and resource quicker. It still pisses a lot of people off with RNG and whatnot but hey, I've played both modern XCOM games, I'm used to this. If anything, DD is more fair since the base modes do not have a failstate or a time limit; you can keep playing forever until beating the namesake dungeon.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Now that Ubisoft and Nintendo are super best friends they should make a Nintendo-themed Trials game for the Switch.

Please

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Imagined posted:

Trials X Excitebike?!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Imagined posted:

To me it just makes it look like an Android game made in RPGMaker. Not saying it is and it's a fun game, but that's what that mix of pixel art and razor sharp HD text and menus signals to me.

Yeah same, though I am more than happy to overlook this due to the studio's tiny size and very reasonable entry fee.

Currently on the second world and still loving this weird golf rpg thingamajig

Also the writing is pretty witty and I like that

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Imagined posted:

Honestly Nintendo should just buy Ubisoft to save them from Vivendi. :lol:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

raditts posted:

You can 1v1, just that it's only by local multiplayer. And not really that fun, honestly.

Or this I guess, I've never actually tried to do it online

No I mean that outside of splatoon now we see how limited the social elements are and how other systems provide easy access to playing with friends.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I bought this thing for portable single player goodness

Trying to multiplayer on Nintendo is ultimately too disappointing and frustrating, especially if you're used to any other console released during the last decade or so

I'm still looking forward to trying out rocket league though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

raditts posted:

Apparently he was talking about FIFA idk

The Nintendo Minute people did 1v1 turf war once and let me tell you: I could not think of a worse way to showcase that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Brave Dungeon game looks anime as heck. Anyone buy it?

• Locked thread