Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This arc is just not flowing very well on a weekly basis.

Like, I'm glad we get these character spotlights and all, but given the whole operation is "WE HAVE TO BUST IN, AND QUICKLY TAKE CARE OF THESE DUDES," and it feels like it's taking forever...I'm not surprised it's taking a beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The last 3-4 chapters was when the arc was finally getting cool though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this is really hosed up news because i've been loving this arc after the last couple

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe it's just a delayed reaction? I can't say I'm super familiar with how jump does their ranking.:shrug:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe it's just a delayed reaction? I can't say I'm super familiar with how jump does their ranking.:shrug:

I believe it takes a few weeks for the postcard rankings to be reflected in the magazine, yeah

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah. The chapters that got bad ratings were basically all of Kirishima's flashbacks/fight and the Toga/Twice betrayal chapter.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that makes sense because mirio's chapters have been good but it was kinda rough before the villain alliance showed back up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Viz is fine, calm the hell down and get the drat subscription.

I mean, One Piece is fine at its absolute worst and good great the other 95% of the time, and OG Dragonball is a god-tier localization, but OPM is just not that great and everything people have posted about VIZ's Mha job indicates the same.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one piece can't be fine for as long as zoro is localized as zolo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is digital jump still padding its series lineup with re-runs of stuff from the 90s and 00s? dragonball started showing up at the end of my last sub and that plus the incredibly slow opm releases convinced me it was not worth it at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

one piece can't be fine for as long as zoro is localized as zolo

they legally can't call him zoro

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Viz also had a problem with misattributing speech bubbles and straight-up mistranslations, at least in the volume releases.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dogsicle posted:

is digital jump still padding its series lineup with re-runs of stuff from the 90s and 00s? dragonball started showing up at the end of my last sub and that plus the incredibly slow opm releases convinced me it was not worth it at all.

Nope. My subscription dropped a month or so ago when the phone I was reading it on died, but as far as I can recall the only time that happened was when they were running the Full-Color Dragonball for a while. They do Jump Backs now and then where they run the first three chapters of an old manga, but other than that it's only current releases and slightly behind OPM.

I don't think it's lacked for content for quite a long time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

even so

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Nope. My subscription dropped a month or so ago when the phone I was reading it on died, but as far as I can recall the only time that happened was when they were running the Full-Color Dragonball for a while. They do Jump Backs now and then where they run the first three chapters of an old manga, but other than that it's only current releases and slightly behind OPM.

I don't think it's lacked for content for quite a long time.

i may have just seen the start of a jump back and assumed it would be running start to end. as someone who already buys volumes of several series i'll probably stick to that as my method of support though

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yes they can! Zorro has been public domain for decades. It was a dumb mistake that 4kids made and everyone else copied.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Yeah Funimation and Crunchyroll have no problem using Zoro in the subs and dub.
Viz only uses Zolo to remain consistent with old chapters that were remaining consistent with 4kids.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh.

Well thank you for educating me.

I imagine they're trapped by marketing/precedent at this point, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Begemot posted:

Yes they can! Zorro has been public domain for decades. It was a dumb mistake that 4kids made and everyone else copied.

I actually thought that myself and looked into it and apparently the rights to zorro are (or were as of 2 years ago) owned by someone and the subject of some lawsuits about whether it counted as public domain

the lawsuits started in 2013 but that's still well after one piece got dubbed/translated

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-revives-zorro-rights-fight-770477

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

I actually thought that myself and looked into it and apparently the rights to zorro are (or were as of 2 years ago) owned by someone and the subject of some lawsuits about whether it counted as public domain

the lawsuits started in 2013 but that's still well after one piece got dubbed/translated

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-revives-zorro-rights-fight-770477

Zorro, the character, is in the public domain. Anything published before 1923 is automatically public domain, and the first Zorro story was from 1919!

The deal with the lawsuit is that plenty of Zorro stories were published after that date, and so any details from them can't be used. This is the same bullshit that has tripped up multiple Sherlock Holmes authors--95% of the original Holmes' stories are out of copyright, but the final ones are not, and they're the ones that mention Watson's second wife. So if you write a Holmes story and mention Watson's second marriage, congrats, you're getting a call from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's estate. They don't have much else to do, now.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
RE: ratings chat I wouldn't be surprised if everything from the Sasuke fight up through the VA appearances rated poorly because none of it had to happen on screen and the enemies are dispensable nobodies. It's been a bit of a slog.

The main issue is that we already have a huge stable of characters that need screen time and Horikoshi went "nah" and added more.

For my part, I've enjoyed most of it all the same. And everything involving Mirio has reminded me why I love this series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I believe it takes a few weeks for the postcard rankings to be reflected in the magazine, yeah

About 7-8 weeks, yeah.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got a year of WSJ for like $10 in some sale thing they were having and check out the official translation there. It's been pretty meh overall. Very dry, very literal, hosed up off and on.

It's weird how both the scanlators and official translators gently caress up different stuff that seems really obvious. Viz will completely screw up a line or two sometimes or more frequently, mess up who is talking. Mangastream/JB/FA will completely gently caress up the context of lines or try to attribute more meaning than they should. It kinda helps to have both on hand.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there any news on how Horikoshi is doing?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

TheKingofSprings posted:

About 7-8 weeks, yeah.

Are you guys sure about that? I've always thought they pick a sample of a few thousand postcards every week and each ranking reflect the previous week's results (and if I'm not mistaken that's how it worked in Bakuman too).

Can't see what's the point of publishing popularity ranks from 2 months prior :confused:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Petiso posted:

Are you guys sure about that? I've always thought they pick a sample of a few thousand postcards every week and each ranking reflect the previous week's results (and if I'm not mistaken that's how it worked in Bakuman too).

Can't see what's the point of publishing popularity ranks from 2 months prior :confused:

It's the system they've used for decades and unfortunately it's slow.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Radish posted:

Is there any news on how Horikoshi is doing?

Chapter's out (in Korea) so he's doing well enough to come back I guess.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Thanks for the heads up

Also Season 3 100% confirmed now

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

Thanks for the heads up

Also Season 3 100% confirmed now

1,000,000% confirmed actually. But if it's ever confirmed to this extent again, this manga... it may never be able to be adapted again.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

hey crossposting from the anime thread:

i'm an idiot who can't make out who the red and purple ones are

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kirishima and sasuke

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers dropping finally. These are actually very spoilery, so warning.

Deku hits 20% because he has no other choice.

Nighteye takes what looks like fatal injuries to me. Or at least he's not loving walking them off for sure. It could be a massive troll and him "forecasting" his own death to avoid it but I haven't seen the rest of the chapter. I'm guessing the latter.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 29, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hate-Senpai posted:

Chapter's out (in Korea) so he's doing well enough to come back I guess.

That's good but I wish they would let us know if he had a cold or if he collapsed on his desk, pen in hand, and an assistant found him. I guess they'd never do that for obvious reasons but I really hope the guy is ok.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sigh. Now we get to suffer every week because if I recall a couple of the main mangastream guys don't like MHA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Sigh. Now we get to suffer every week because if I recall a couple of the main mangastream guys don't like MHA.

Do they like anything that isn't One Piece?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fabricated posted:

What a bunch of loving rear end in a top hat cocksuckers god dammit gently caress

:blush:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sending spike to mangastream.com

spike sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's up now

http://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/154/4599/1