Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A computer is just a rock that we tricked into thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Is The Object Non-Organic Life

Does Momo Know The Atomic Configuration Of The Object?

if the answer to both is yes, Momo can make it, she's very strong

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I dont get why Momo is a hero, she should have been in the support class given that her skill isn't technically an offensive ability. She should be working with Mei on some bomb-rear end gear.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think when a girl can easily pull a cannon out of her tummy, you put her in the greatest hero training class in japan

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
She should definitely be in close contact with the support class, knowing how to create people's support items on the fly would be a huge asset, just look at how All Might broke Bakugo's granades. Momo could totally just pop a couple new ones out if she knew how they were made.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kaminari could literally have an Ironman suit made for him that he just powers with his quirk or any number of really useful gadgets. A conductive tonfa would be a huge upgrade for him. But well, he's kinda dumb.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Thor-Stryker posted:

I dont get why Momo is a hero, she should have been in the support class given that her skill isn't technically an offensive ability. She should be working with Mei on some bomb-rear end gear.

You can get a lot done with grenades.

Seriously, her power is very flexible and one of the big issues for professional heroes is bad-match-ups, as you see in the first episode. If their quirk is a bad match for the villain's quirk, they may be left on the sidelines to wait for another hero to come along rather than charge in and have to be rescued themselves.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

You can get a lot done with grenades.

Seriously, her power is very flexible and one of the big issues for professional heroes is bad-match-ups, as you see in the first episode. If their quirk is a bad match for the villain's quirk, they may be left on the sidelines to wait for another hero to come along rather than charge in and have to be rescued themselves.

She's still a serious risk because she has zero evasion and zero offense. She'd have to be paired with an extremely versatile hero just to survive.

In the teacher battles, if Eraser Head had been and actual evil villain and killed Todoroki after capturing him, then she would be up poo poo creek.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

She's still a serious risk because she has zero evasion and zero offense. She'd have to be paired with an extremely versatile hero just to survive.

In the teacher battles, if Eraser Head had been and actual evil villain and killed Todoroki after capturing him, then she would be up poo poo creek.

Why do you keep on insisting she has zero offense? Her power may not directly do damage but being able to spam things like flash bangs and create offensive tools such as cannons and machetes gives her plenty of ways to do damage. Evasion as well can be covered with gear. Yes she will need support to reach her full potential but her versatility is insane.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Momo could literally just cover her body with knife blades or shoot spikes out of her hands or make big iron knuckles to punch with, she has super good offensive capabilities if she wanted to be that kind of fighter

Thor-Stryker posted:

this is why she's at the school where kids learn to be heroes

hell she got a free ride even

e: very into the idea of the UA staff reading the files on the teenagers who can make fire, ice or literally any material out of their bodies and saying "yes, this is who we want at our institution. please bring them to us"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 29, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugou's quirk is just the ability to make explosions and Momo can do that and more. She legitimately has one of the most powerful quirks in the class.

E: And I mean powerful as in strong and can be used to beat up the bad guys. Not just powerful as in "holy poo poo, her power has so many versatile uses and would be incredibly effective in a huge variety of situations'.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bakugou's quirk is just the ability to make explosions and Momo can do that and more. She legitimately has one of the most powerful quirks in the class.

Couldn't she quite literally replicate his power if she did a chemical analysis on his sweat?

e: Though he does seem to have some resistance to his own explosions, she wouldn't have that.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 29, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Momo could do a watered down version of Todoroki's whole thing if she wanted to

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good job girls.

https://twitter.com/dandelion0323/status/913353991341318144

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
very cute and good.

two of those characters anime only people don't know but they're also cute and good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most characters in MHA are cute and good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, i have no idea who they are. I'm hardly shocked to learn other characters might someday be introduced tho.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cant believe an anime adaptation of a manga we are not even 45% of the way through might have more characters

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

It is neat, but it's not always entirely consistent. We never really get a biological explanation for Shinso's power (although it's possible to imagine one; I assume it works like telepathy in the Foundation books). Then there's people like Manga Fukidashi, whose power seems to have a slight fourth-wall-breaking component.

Yeah don't get too attached to the idea of quirks having a somewhat plausible biological component. There's some stuff that's basically just magic. I mean Todoroki already kind of fits the bill, where does the energy for his fire come from? And Tokoyami straight-up has a stand like a JoJo character.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Iida is a cyborg.

I think, and maybe this is what Silver2195 was getting at, it's less important that the quirks have a plausible biological impetus, than it is that they are limited by biological processes in some way. I.E.: Deku's bones shattering, Uraraka's and Aoyama's nausea, and Iida's stalling out/cramping up. Heck, even ways of playing off that are interesting like by having Mineta's gloves being made of his scalp tissue.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Now I have this image in my head of Bakugou sitting in a chair fuming while the girls play with his hair.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Confirmation straight from the source.

Not that it was ever in question if it was going to happen.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't wait to cream my pants at the S3 version of You Say Run.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Hunt11 posted:

Why do you keep on insisting she has zero offense? Her power may not directly do damage but being able to spam things like flash bangs and create offensive tools such as cannons and machetes gives her plenty of ways to do damage. Evasion as well can be covered with gear. Yes she will need support to reach her full potential but her versatility is insane.

This, but she has good evasion, too. Remember how she avoided Todoroki's opening gambit during the obstacle course? Oh! And the roller skates during the cavalry battle. I know, I know, "roller skates, big whoop," but I'm just saying, she's got options. I bet she could make rope and those rock climbing clips and stuff for repelling, too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lowercase16 posted:

This, but she has good evasion, too. Remember how she avoided Todoroki's opening gambit during the obstacle course? Oh! And the roller skates during the cavalry battle. I know, I know, "roller skates, big whoop," but I'm just saying, she's got options. I bet she could make rope and those rock climbing clips and stuff for repelling, too.

She also made that electric shield back at the school attack.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I wanna read about the Phoenix Online equivalent hero class.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING :byodood:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Attestant posted:

That's what heroes do.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Screaming is an integral part of shonen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsjCWNXtRE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Screaming is an integral part of shonen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6622xan963k

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
In my understanding, Yaoyorozu's offense, defense and evasion -- per her enormous equipment load -- are all top-notch, but her wind-up time makes them moot unless she has time to prepare.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm really curious if horikoshi came up with momo's powerset or personality first

one of my favorite things about mha is seeing how the powers people got lucked into end up influencing who they end up becoming as people; it's not like that for every character but for momo at least it makes absolutely perfect sense that with a quirk like that she'd become an analytical person with great book smarts but struggles at the kind of on-the-fly adaptation other classmates are better at

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

Confirmation straight from the source.

Not that it was ever in question if it was going to happen.
Todoroki looks like he's at the dentist

Attestant posted:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Begemot posted:

Yeah don't get too attached to the idea of quirks having a somewhat plausible biological component. There's some stuff that's basically just magic. I mean Todoroki already kind of fits the bill, where does the energy for his fire come from? And Tokoyami straight-up has a stand like a JoJo character.

Honestly I kinda wish the side effects of using his quirk were reversed. Like, if Todoroki uses fire, he should get colder, since he's pushing energy out, and he's using ice he should get hotter, since he's sucking energy in. The end result is basically the same, since he can balance it out with the other side, but it'd appease my physics autism. :v:

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm really curious if horikoshi came up with momo's powerset or personality first

one of my favorite things about mha is seeing how the powers people got lucked into end up influencing who they end up becoming as people; it's not like that for every character but for momo at least it makes absolutely perfect sense that with a quirk like that she'd become an analytical person with great book smarts but struggles at the kind of on-the-fly adaptation other classmates are better at
Pretty sure powerset. Originally she was gonna be an adult but then he thought it'd be more interesting to see somebody with a top tier quirk that is still learning how to hero.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure powerset. Originally she was gonna be an adult but then he thought it'd be more interesting to see somebody with a top tier quirk that is still learning how to hero.

A lot of the cast shuffled like this, iirc; for example, Mt. Lady was initially going to be a student and fill the role Ochako does now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

One for All was also not an inheritable power and Deku was completely quirkless, which is fun to think about when you realize that the entire story relies on Deku and All Might's bond through OfA, as well as forming the entire backbone of the backstory of the big bad.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Prototype All Might used to have a mask and it slowly morphed into his hair over time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As part of the design process to become the All Might we know today, that is. Allpha Might didn't literally have a mask that morphed into his hair.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

A lot of the cast shuffled like this, iirc; for example, Mt. Lady was initially going to be a student and fill the role Ochako does now.

More like proto-Ochako got split into Mt. Lady and Ochako. It has traits of both (and dark hair which neither has)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

More like proto-Ochako got split into Mt. Lady and Ochako. It has traits of both (and dark hair which neither has)

I actually really liked proto-Mt. Lady's design a lot. Little bummed it was never used.

Also proto-Deku's hero outfit was a lot more sinister looking which I thought was hilarious and wish they'd kept it. I love the idea of Deku trying to be all kind and inspirational while wearing an outfit that terrified children.

• Locked thread