Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/caseytolan/status/913801290366410752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

minority..........vote

Found the first problem with your idea. There's a whole lotta systems that are really good at making that not happen.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

A good step would be to make all police officers subject to recall elections in the communities they're supposed to serve, so that minority communities can vote the racist shits off the force.

EDIT: If this means that all officers are voted off the force, it'd be a nice bonus.

It always seemed incredibly backwards that we have certain judges who are elected and held accountable to mob rule, while police officers are entirely outside the approval of the commonfolk.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Man, it's almost like the police culture is built on fear and ruthlessness in order to maintain control and protect property not people with the added feature of protecting white supremacy and maintaining the status quo.

This topic always brings back bad memories of the Cops in the Beat threads and the trash posters that always had some bullshit reason why the latest murder by the police was totally legally justified and thus, while unfortunate (:rolleyes:) there is simply nothing we can do without trampling all over the bill of rights. Somehow in a country where we have one of the, if not the absolute, highest incarceration rates in the world our system simply can't punish murderous police acting on authority of the state without our justice system collapsing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

absolutely, but the answer to that isn't placing the actual lower income white working class in their own special political category and developing a separate policy to attract them

No, but it seems to me that the platform that is going to get out the working class vote for the Democrats, is also going to be the policy that peels those middle-income voters who live in economically depressed areas off of the Trump coalition. Those middle-income voters may still not end up voting D in 2020. But if the Dems manage to highlight how little Trump has done for their communities, and show that they're not just paying lip service to left-populism anymore, I expect a lot of them will probably stay home.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/jmillerlewis/status/913808872397312001

We will get your little dog too!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Abolish police

ftfy

Cerebral Bore posted:

A good step would be to make all police officers subject to recall elections in the communities they're supposed to serve, so that minority communities can vote the racist shits off the force.

EDIT: If this means that all officers are voted off the force, it'd be a nice bonus.

They could just elect better mayors.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

Found the first problem with your idea. There's a whole lotta systems that are really good at making that not happen.

Well, that's true. But on the other hand, if the US ever gets to the point where my idea is actually enacted and minorities get an actual say when it comes to policing, I'd assume that they'd have gotten rid of voter suppression as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thechosenone posted:

Would the GOP would be foolish enough to even do something like harm police unions though? Seems like they wouldn't even think to do it.

After they take apart app the other unions, sure

This party elected Trump

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

Recently Puerto Rico voted to seek statehood. The referendum lost.

The referendum lost because something like 3/4ths of the voting population boycotted it at the instruction of their party (also every referendum is worded terribly and that's usually the sticking point). Those who did vote voted overwhelmingly (something like 90% or around there) for statehood. After this horseshit with Trump there's basically zero chance they won't be pushing for statehood since that means you can't be ignored like you can with a territory.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nah, Ross Perot took almost 30% of the Republican vote by being an anti-trade Republican.

NAFTA also had a 30-40% disapproval among Republicans in 1993.

No, attitudes about free trade have changed pretty dramatically among Republicans. Of course there was always a portion who had negative views, but that portion increased a bunch in recent years. I'm posting from my phone, but a quick Google search reveals how polling results have drastically changed on the subject.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Isn't it nice when an old man has a hobby? Some build train sets. Some whittle. And some orchestrate a vast right-wing racist conspiracy. Bless.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The referendum lost because something like 3/4ths of the voting population boycotted it at the instruction of their party (also every referendum is worded terribly and that's usually the sticking point). Those who did vote voted overwhelmingly (something like 90% or around there) for statehood. After this horseshit with Trump there's basically zero chance they won't be pushing for statehood since that means you can't be ignored like you can with a territory.

Why didn't they want to anyway? Is it just having to pay federal taxes?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

The referndum didn't lose. It won. There's questions about the legitimacy because of the boycot, but it was a 97% vote in favor of statehood. That's winning.

Also, in 2014 there were two referrendums 1) Do you want to stay a territory? And 2)If we don't stay a territory, would you rather be independent or a state? And in 2014 No, and State won those.

So the last two times the question has been put to the voters, they've expressed a will for statehood. It's entirely up to the US Congress now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why didn't they want to anyway? Is it just having to pay federal taxes?

Previously to the past decade when the economy was better PR's view was that it was better for them to remain a territory and enjoy much of the benefits without paying taxes, yeah. Since the recession hit the island (I think we're in what, the 12th year of it?) and the revenue has vanished they've been pushing more and more for statehood.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

when's the last time a teacher got caught loving a child on tape and Dead Reckoning But A Teacher argued that they should face no disciplinary action for doing so
Oh hey look the first google result is a National Review hit piece raking the California Teachers Association for refusing to support a bill to make it easier to fire their members after a teacher sex abuse scandal.

quote:

And it does not stop with litigation windows. In 2012, the Assembly considered a bill making it easier to fire teachers who sexually abuse students. Consider for a second that word “easier” — should anything be easier than simply firing somebody who molests children? The bill was written in response to the case of a Los Angeles elementary-school teacher who was fired after being accused of sexually abusing his students, and who challenged his firing. Rather than act in accord with the horrifying details of the case, the school district paid the teacher $40,000 to drop his appeal. That’s small change compared with the $30 million settlement the district is paying to the teacher’s alleged victims as a result of the case, or, for that matter, compared with the $23 million bail requirement that is keeping teacher Mark Berndt behind bars as he awaits trial on 23 felony counts of gruesome sexual abuse. Against that background, making it easier to fire teachers facing credible accusations of sexual abuse seems like a pretty straightforward proposition. But the California Teachers Association and other unions presented a united front against a bill passed by the state senate, and it died in the Assembly.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/358552/california-protects-pedophile-teachers-kevin-d-williamson

Trabisnikof posted:

Imagine if you couldn't sue teachers for anything they did so long as the teacher could claim it was job related.
I'm going to say, "What is tenure?", Alex. (I know, not really the same thing, but qualified immunity or other doctrines shields most government officials from being sued in their individual capacity if what they were doing was job-related and didn't violate a clearly established right. Its just that cops get sued a lot more often than FDA inspectors.)

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm also pretty sure you're more likely to be assaulted or murdered on the job as a teacher than as a cop.
:lol: get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense. From July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014, there were a total of 48 student, staff, and other nonstudent school-associated violent deaths in the United States, which included 26 homicides. In 2014 there were 61 LEO killed by deliberate gunfire, assault, or vehicular assault in the US. There are about 750,000 full time sworn LEO in the United States, vs 3.6 million full time elementary and secondary school teachers. (College teachers are more difficult to count.) So cops are ~11 times more likely to be murdered on the job than teachers.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hey, and thanks for the comments about my stuff from before. I guess some of y'all are in, if not the same boat at least an adjacent boat.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

No, attitudes about free trade have changed pretty dramatically among Republicans. Of course there was always a portion who had negative views, but that portion increased a bunch in recent years. I'm posting from my phone, but a quick Google search reveals how polling results have drastically changed on the subject.

There's been a material change, but anti-trade has always been a significant part of populist right-wing conservatism among the middle and lower-middle class people who went Democrat-Republican back in the '70s and '80s. Think back to stuff like the whole "Wal-Mart policy" email forward, where they legitimately believe America can go it alone and "Americans don't need anything not made in America."

Right-wing populist anti-trade attitudes aren't rooted in economics, it's a cultural thing built on xenophobia and isolationist attitudes towards the rest of the world. It ties heavily into grievance politics and resentment as well, when you are talking about people whose entire worldview is built on perceived fairness and the strong notion that only people like them deserve to have nice things.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Right-wing populist anti-trade attitudes aren't rooted in economics, it's a cultural thing built on xenophobia and isolationist attitudes towards the rest of the world.

I don't agree. While there are certainly xenophobic and isolationist attitudes at work, there are a great many former pro-labor Democrats who have defected to the GOP over the past twenty years, in no small part because free trade agreements and deregulatory policies, championed by Third Way Democrats, have had unambiguously negative impacts on their lives and their communities.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

But that isn't the fault of free trade, it is because the benefits of free trade went exclusively to the rich, while the negatives hit the poor and middle class.
You can have free trade and then tax the rich to make up for the weaker manufacturing and providing a robust safety net with the extra money made.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Peachfart posted:

But that isn't the fault of free trade, it is because the benefits of free trade went exclusively to the rich, while the negatives hit the poor and middle class.
You can have free trade and then tax the rich to make up for the weaker manufacturing and providing a robust safety net with the extra money made.

The negatives of free trade didn't exclusively hit the poor and middle class.

The political problem of free trade policies in the 90's was that the benefits are widely dispersed (everyone gets a couple of extra sock choices, your cars and car parts are cheaper, replacement parts for electronics are more plentiful, etc) but the downsides are concentrated heavily on a small portion of the population.

Everyone who shops at Wal-Mart or can buy a new Ford for $12k is benefiting in an indirect way. But those getting hurt are getting hurt is a significant and direct way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/HouseAgNews/status/913810825047101440

Heck yeah. A great program that helps many people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

After they take apart app the other unions, sure

This party elected Trump

Police unions have a particular function that set them apart from the rest. They allow the police to function as government thugs with impunity, while general unions do the opposite.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
huh, dead reckoning disingenuously putting up an unrelated story to deflect from police murdering children without any consequences

how totally unprecedented

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The only problem with police unions is that every other union should have that same level of power.
Funny how I'm the bad guy here for taking the stance "everyone should have strong unions, not just people I think deserve it."

You're also conflating police union representation, qualified immunity, and the structural advantages police have when facing prosecution like they're the same thing.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Funny how I'm the bad guy here for taking the stance "everyone should have strong unions, not just people I think deserve it."

You're also conflating police union representation, qualified immunity, and the structural advantages police have when facing prosecution like they're the same thing.

lol at thinking police unions aren't part and parcel w/ the structural advantages and qualified immunity that police enjoy. Also: power dynamics.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/913841805996773376

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

you're conflating your posts and good opinions like they're the same thing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Peachfart posted:

One absolutely can do this, yes. The problem is, the Democrats of the 90's promised that this would happen, and then did not follow through. So it's tough to sell this to the Rust Belt and other areas hit hard by NAFTA nowadays.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, you literally only pop up to talk about the police. You don't give a poo poo about unions in general.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

No, you literally only pop up to talk about the police. You don't give a poo poo about unions in general.

I'm pretty much 100% pro union, it's just that "we should get rid of teachers unions so that we can fire the bad & under performing ones, school reform now" never seems to come up in D&D.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

One absolutely can do this, yes. The problem is, the Democrats of the 90's promised that this would happen, and then did not follow through. So it's tough to sell this to the Rust Belt and other areas hit hard by NAFTA nowadays.

Imagine if we'd gotten a real employment guarantee and associated workforce programs in the 90s as was the original proposal for welfare reform.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty much 100% pro union, it's just that "we should get rid of teachers unions so that we can fire the bad & under performing ones, school reform now" never seems to come up in D&D.

Nobody cares what you say believe, we've figured it out based on the pattern of what you reply to and talk and and defend. You don't give a poo poo about any union but the police union.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's cause teachers don't kill people on the reg.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

it's almost like teachers aren't killing black people in cold blood on a regular basis :thunk:

also get out DR

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dead Reckoning posted:

how about actually funding schools instead you piece of poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's cause teachers don't kill people on the reg.

Also when was the last time a teachers' union argued a teacher should keep their job after the teacher shot a child to death on duty?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus this gives me a lot of ammo. The literal only reason to do this is to stop policy-based discussion on upcoming legislation. I'm trying to anticipate a way someone could defend their party on this one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Jesus this gives me a lot of ammo. The literal only reason to do this is to stop policy-based discussion on upcoming legislation. I'm trying to anticipate a way someone could defend their party on this one.

Cbo is run by liberals and is fake news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

CBO is biased, waiting serves no purpose, streamlining congress, etc.

"so you want it to take longer for congress to pass laws?"

• Locked thread