Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Still can't build a city that's all bikes rail and blimps though.

Maybe the Green expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

New city is at 540,000+ population with plenty of room to spare and no major issues. :stare: 25 tiles but no mods fill out zoning or anything. Water demand completely killed the river.

huge version

Steam says I've played the game for 250 hours. I didn't even buy the game until recently. Help.

I see you also enjoy a good turbine roundabout.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

New city is at 540,000+ population with plenty of room to spare and no major issues. :stare: 25 tiles but no mods fill out zoning or anything. Water demand completely killed the river.

huge version

Steam says I've played the game for 250 hours. I didn't even buy the game until recently. Help.

What's your FPS like with a city this big? I've never gotten that far.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
There seems to be no SimCity thread on the forums anymore so I'm hoping someone here can help. I installed SC4+RH plus NAM on my macbook air, and after about 10 minutes of gameplay the computer heats up like it's gonna melt. I'd read that the game is rough of processors but I was wondering if that's something people found a workaround for. Seems like a game that is almost fifteen years old should not overheat modern computers, but maybe that is an unreasonable expectation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does it help to turn on v-sync? If SC4 even has it, and if it's actually the graphics card causing it. I've had a similar weird problem on a windows 10 machine where Neverwinter Nights 2 caused the computer to scream like a jet engine trying to take off. I didn't discover the reason until I noticed World of Tanks was running at 100+ fps with similarly berserking fans. Went all quiet and cool when I changed the setting. :shrug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A lot of older games cause excessive load specifically because they don't account for newer hardware. It's akin to the (much more recent) Starcraft 2 issue on release where it was burning up video cards, because the game was coded on the assumption that no machine could run it at a fast framerate so no limiting was put in. What they didn't account for was that the menu screen was also uncapped, so people would go AFK with it sitting on the main menu, which was rendering at hundreds or thousands of frames a second just pushing their video cards as hard as it possibly could, which eventually fried some of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, use software rendering on SC4. Hardware is borked because graphic card specs deprecated a major rendering function they use and crippled performance.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I hadn't played since initial release, and got back into it a couple days ago.

I've got some of the main DLCs, but are there any mods you can play with that still allow you to get the steam achievements? Or a list somewhere?

Thanks!

edit: Sorry to be more clear, I know mods like auto bulldoze will prevent achievements, but are there graphical 'make things look good' that will still allow them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a mod that lets you still get cheevos with mods too!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Baronjutter posted:

Haha, of course there is! I hadn't thought of that.

I'll probably use the 'monorails don't kill people 3 streets over' mod. :wtc:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Baronjutter posted:

Wait what.

What.

gently caress.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Ok this totally owns and makes me reconsider this dumb game that I already bought incl most of the expansions

I've never heard it mentioned before this thanks d00d :coolfish:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I just installed the disasters mod and disabled the disasters cause i'm fundamentally broken inside and am okay with paying ca 13 dollars for helicopters. But i'm itching to turn them on, how does it work? Will earthquakes appear and break my finely crafted roundabouts and expect me to rebuild them manually or can i just hit a "rebuild it like it was" button?

Also EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I just installed the disasters mod and disabled the disasters cause i'm fundamentally broken inside and am okay with paying ca 13 dollars for helicopters. But i'm itching to turn them on, how does it work? Will earthquakes appear and break my finely crafted roundabouts and expect me to rebuild them manually or can i just hit a "rebuild it like it was" button?

Also EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE

Earthquake erases structures and roads where it hits, opens a big crack in the earth (buildings fall down and poo poo around it). Sinkholes will also erases roads and stuff. All the others just destroy them, and you can just use the upgrade button to fix the roads, or wait for helicopters to come and 'search for survivors ' before you rebuild. I actually really like the mod, it's my favourite of all of them.

E: poo poo yah I forgot about meteors.

Cat Wings fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 12, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jewcoon posted:

Earthquake erases structures and roads where it hits, opens a big crack in the earth (buildings fall down and poo poo around it). Sinkholes will also erases roads and stuff. All the others just destroy them, and you can just use the upgrade button to fix the roads, or wait for helicopters to come and 'search for survivors ' before you rebuild. I actually really like the mod, it's my favourite of all of them.

Yeah I generally have earthquakes, sinkholes and meteors disabled just to save myself the headache of having to lay down road networks again if I get unlucky and it nukes an interchange.

Tsunamis are actually pretty neat because there are pumping vehicles that will cruise around and suck up remaining water, which is stored in storage tanks that can be emptied anywhere in the map at your own choosing. Iirc you can also create water intakes, so you can use it to create artificial lakes if you so choose.

The disaster response units are nice because they respond to any kind of destroyed building, including fires, so burned down structures from regular fires will be repaired and respawn without losing their inhabitants. This also makes the non terrain deforming disasters less of a pain in the rear end. Unfortunately they don't also automatically rebuild roads, for whatever reason.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do district style mods generally not work/are abandoned? I tried downloading some, hitting "subscribe all" on the assets it needed in game, making sure they all downloaded and then enabling it on a district and nothing happens.

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah I generally have earthquakes, sinkholes and meteors disabled just to save myself the headache of having to lay down road networks again if I get unlucky and it nukes an interchange.

How do you disable specific disasters?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dongattack posted:

Do district style mods generally not work/are abandoned? I tried downloading some, hitting "subscribe all" on the assets it needed in game, making sure they all downloaded and then enabling it on a district and nothing happens.

You can adjust disaster frequency in the theme editor.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dongattack posted:

What's your FPS like with a city this big? I've never gotten that far.

It was a fine but on a 1080ti/i7-7700k with 32 gigs of RAM.

Got it closer to 650k with another hour of waiting and a small suburban area.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Ragnarok mod will disable specific disasters. It will also let you have disasters up to intensity 25 (normal max is 10).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Suspect Bucket posted:

I see you also enjoy a good turbine roundabout.

Yes, pretty much the only style that works with huge cities.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Jewcoon posted:

Ragnarok mod will disable specific disasters. It will also let you have disasters up to intensity 25 (normal max is 10).

Thank you! Got it installed now.

Unrelated: Is there a way using the Move It! mod (or any other way) to move parks behind buildings, have them function as normal and also reclaim the spot they were as zonable land? I managed to do it randomly with one park, but i can't reproduce it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dongattack posted:

Thank you! Got it installed now.

Unrelated: Is there a way using the Move It! mod (or any other way) to move parks behind buildings, have them function as normal and also reclaim the spot they were as zonable land? I managed to do it randomly with one park, but i can't reproduce it.

You can move stuff about 2 tiles away from a road and it will still work, any farther and trash and corpses will pile up. I think there's some free-placement parks somewhere on the workshop that you can plop anywhere and they function but don't need road access.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

What I really want is a mod that allows you to just draw a freeform park. Like, sure, I can make a nice irregularly shaped area full of paths and trees and look like a great park, but it doesn't DO anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tie it into the district tool, add a new district type which is "nature area", tally up how many trees are in there, subtract points for more than 1 building per 200m square of undeveloped land, weight them up for proximity to pedestrian and bike paths, add a multiplier for public transport links in the district, and calculate a "district appeal value" from all of that. Then do the thing the game does with coastal areas where the land value gets increased, radiating from the district borders.

Should be doable with existing systems. Pretty sure the game can track all that stuff already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we could just plop various small granular park elements along foot paths and have the whole thing register as a park. Also maybe have cims actually like trees being around. It's so weird how trees do nothing mechanically in the game.
Which is pretty much what I do now but I fake it. I have some little "park entrance" parks that are just tiny little 2x1 parks which high stats and contain nothing more than the stub of a path and maybe a trash can or something. Then I'll make a nice prop-plopped park around it and cims seem to enjoy walking around them.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2017

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Is there a mod that will help me remove these stray public transport route nodes that I can't seem to delete manually?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Go into your transit route list and you should be able to delete entire lines from there.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any trick to designing public transport

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phi230 posted:

Is there any trick to designing public transport

Yeah, do it well. Look to real life for inspiration on what works, but keep in mind the game doesn't really handle doubled-up lines very well so 2 lines that converge don't get the advantages they would in real life.
People travel all over the city, work to home is just one of many minor trips they make, so make sure the system is pretty flexible. University will always be a huge draw, highschools can be big draws as well so always serve them well. Cities in skylines never really get big enough to realistically warrant much more than a bus or a tram, and infrastructure costs are a joke as well so your small town can absolutely build and maintain a huge subway system why not. But the design of your transit system obviously needs to be based around the design of your city. If you have a dense downtown core where most all the jobs and shops are then obviously you want most all transit routes to lead downtown. Cims love to take transit so watch out for your networks getting quickly overwhelmed. I find buses are ok for small towns but beyond that they're best used to feed a bigger network. So instead of having 1 huge long bus route that starts out in the suburban hinterland and goes all the way downtown, build just a short bus route only in the suburban area and have it end or cross a train or metro station, which then gets them downtown. The suburbs aren't dense enough to supply enough ridership to the metro, but the bus can expand the reach of the station.

For metro's a good simple design is the classic eastern 3-line system like this.

This gives you 3 metro lines where anyone can get to any line with only 1 transfer. The triangle formed in the middle would be your city centre, and the arms then radiate out into the suburbs. Places not directly covered by the metro can be covered by bus, but the bus doesn't bring them to the centre, it brings them to the nearest metro station otherwise the bus will get jammed up real fast while the metro sits under-used. Don't forget cims don't care how crowded transit is. 500 of them will stand at a bus stop while lightly used metro trains that go to the same destination zip by, so you have to design around their own stupidity there.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also don't have too many lines meet at one stop because they absolutely will back each other up and you'll have a conga line of metros with 5000 angry people 2 stops down. Multi-platform stations helpful with that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It drives me crazy that subway stops in this game don't snap neatly into the corner of intersections.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

COMRADES posted:

Also don't have too many lines meet at one stop because they absolutely will back each other up and you'll have a conga line of metros with 5000 angry people 2 stops down. Multi-platform stations helpful with that.
Yeah, the thing I do is I'll have a couple of lines with metro stations in parallel at some point. On the same block, maybe if they're 8 squares wide. Or across the street from each other if you want a shitton of foot traffic hoofing across it.

Anyway this was a fun map. I reckon I've still got a bit left to do on it too.

Can't remember exactly which one it was but it's in this set that I subscribed to a while back.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=426345821

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What are those tall thin mast things everywhere? They look like the decorative spire on the top of a skyscraper to help it game a "tallest" category or a communication tower but I've never seen them in the vanilla game which I assume you're playing.

How do I get rid of these spires? Nobody else has them in their pictures.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there a mod to alter Skylines to give it more SC4 like characteristics for RCI? SC4 included attributes like wealth and density: low, med and high. Aesthetically it gave diversity, and it really made management more enjoyable, as getting those skyscrapers or high tech jobs wasn't a straightforward process.

I'm considering getting back into skylines, but as I don't like dealing with traffic too much I feel like I'll tire of it quickly.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 28, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just apply "encourage biking" citywide if you have the DLC. Its basically a cheat for traffic.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah traffic isn't really an issue unless you literally build your city to be traffic choked. as in like suburban style arterial/feeder/local type setups.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's not that I can't deal with traffic, it's that I enjoy other aspects of city building. I like seeing a city and it's neighborhoods grow and change. In skylines the buildings level up, while in SC4 there was more diversity, as density wasn't coupled to income or education. I like this, as I don't like building ideal cities so much as realistic cities, which include poverty.

Basically I want to build a city of depressing high rise blocks, housing the drones that work in dirty industry, while the educated few live in expensive suburbs or gleaming towers.

e: and yes I can keep education low in this game, but the results aren't really the same, if you know what I mean.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 29, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Count Roland posted:

It's not that I can't deal with traffic, it's that I enjoy other aspects of city building. I like seeing a city and it's neighborhoods grow and change. In skylines the buildings level up, while in SC4 there was more diversity, as density wasn't coupled to income or education. I like this, as I don't like building ideal cities so much as realistic cities, which include poverty.

Basically I want to build a city of depressing high rise blocks, housing the drones that work in dirty industry, while the educated few live in expensive suburbs or gleaming towers.

e: and yes I can keep education low in this game, but the results aren't really the same, if you know what I mean.

Unfortunately this is basically outside the scope of Cities: Skylines. You will never see neighborhoods organically differentiate themselves based on both wealth and density because the game only really accounts for the latter.

You can approximate the effect you want with mods. The easiest way is to use the district themes mod to control which assets can grow in a given district. So, you can set one district to only have trailer parks, another to have low-rise apartment buildings, another to have skyscrapers, and so on. You can also use the building level up control mod to prevent buildings from going above a certain level, either on a district-by-district or building-by-building basis (or both). You can also of course just plop everything with the Move It or ploppable RICO mods.

It's possible to get great results and make a city that looks realistic, but it has to be done at least semi manually and using a combination of various mods. There just isn't that much depth to the actual game/simulation of C:S.

e: Just to provide a couple examples of realistic cities, check out this guy and this guy from reddit, both of whom post near-picture-perfect cities. But keep in mind that there is a truly staggering amount of manual work involved and the game probably runs like a slideshow for both of them.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 29, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
This guy (Impact) got linked earlier in the thread, but probably deserves another plug because his attention to detail is loving bonkers and the results speak for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChxo_QeAQdFFqNmNb5hPk3w

You can get good results from growables, but I think this proves that the highest level of believability is achieved by plopping and moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
So if I'm supposed to be ignoring the RCI demand, and instead looking at the employment graph for my city to decide when to expand commercial/industrial/offices, what employment level should I be looking for?