Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Does anyone have the one where a guy is sitting in a parking lot across from an Arby's watching the curly fries mascot get stuck?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I hope they gave the Skyrim Horse Anus guy a job :unsmith:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I hope they gave the Skyrim Horse Anus guy a job :unsmith:

i bet he had to compete with this guy

https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.06291

quote:

Multifractal characteristics of external anal sphincter based on sEMG signals

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DrPossum posted:

Multifractal characteristics of external anal sphincter

the Mandelbutt set

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

DrPossum posted:

i bet he had to compete with this guy

https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.06291

desperately looking for a faculty job in poland rn

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
lookout here comes my ants

https://i.imgur.com/vY3FPH3.gifv

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

burning swine
May 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwUB0QBWi0

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
crossposting my own post from the vancouver thread becaus e AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHA

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dillbag posted:

crossposting my own post from the vancouver thread becaus e AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHA

I'd "water her melons", ammirite?

:gizz:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dillbag posted:

is it that loving popular? what am i missing? :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this semester the university altered all of the no-smoking signs to this one

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

[quote="“RISCy Business”" post="“476872602”"]
rick and morty sucks
[/quote]

Rick and Morty is actually good but the nerds are ruining it for everyone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Rick and Morty is actually good but the nerds are ruining it for everyone

which part of rick and morty is your favorite? the child rape, the misogyny or the anti-therapy rhetoric?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you watch the show or not, stymie?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

do you watch the show or not, stymie?

i tried watching it and really didn't care for the child rape and misogyny

i heard about the anti-therapy episode from some coworkers and it reinforced my decision

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sounds like your coworkers are horrible clueless dorks, because that episode could not be more blatant in showing the therapist as deeply insightful and therapy itself as a valuable service.

rick doesn't like therapy because he's a deeply egotistical person, which the therapist points out and rick acknowledges. if people are empathizing with that character, it's a personality flaw on their part.

you should probably find better coworkers. i imagine they're also the type who thought that walt was the good guy in breaking bad right up to the end?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 29, 2017

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
i forgot certain topics were off limits to comedy and absurdism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
whatever happened to andy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

sounds like your coworkers are horrible clueless dorks, because that episode could not be more blatant in showing the therapist as deeply insightful and therapy itself as a valuable service.

rick doesn't like therapy because he's a deeply egotistical person, which the therapist points out and rick acknowledges.

you should probably find better coworkers. i imagine they're also the type who thought that walt was the good guy in breaking bad right up to the end?

that's just it: the point they were trying to make was that the show WAS pro-therapy using that exact argument, but the reality is that the show doesn't back up that line of thinking in any way

the last scene literally shows rick being vindicated in not pursuing therapy

you can argue about the show's subtext of "rick is destructive and emotionally tortured" all you want, but when the show's text is "rick is always right and should never be opposed" it pretty thoroughly undermines the subtext

it's pretty reasonable for people to idolize rick if he's portrayed as a powerful character who's always right and never faces any consequences, unlike walt

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

Sorry I didn't watch Breaking Bad because some of the hundreds of millions of viewers were bad, and so the show must also be bad.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Walt is mean to his wife and destructive and I don't watch shows that idolize drugs and gangsterism

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Actually now that I think about it I've never seen any episode of star trek for exactly the same reason.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
comparing rick to walter white is a really dumb idea because walt's characterization was that he was a smart person filled with rage and narcissism who was inevitably the architect of his own disasters and only achieved a semblance of redemption through self-sacrifice

rick is shown as an omni-competent genius who always is proven correct and whose world-weary cynicism is always validated, but every now and then he says "woe is me, the ever so smart person"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Stymie posted:

comparing rick to walter white is a really dumb idea because walt's characterization was that he was a smart person filled with rage and narcissism who was inevitably the architect of his own disasters and only achieved a semblance of redemption through self-sacrifice

rick is shown as an omni-competent genius who always is proven correct and whose world-weary cynicism is always validated, but every now and then he says "woe is me, the ever so smart person"

The reason you think this is that you're a sociopath.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whatever happened to andy

old memes are forever...

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Salt Fish posted:

The reason you think this is that you're a sociopath.

funny, i thought the sociopaths were the ones who idolized both walt and rick and for the same reasons, the difference being that the writing supported walt being a bad person

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

there was no redemption for walt. none

that's the point

Stymie posted:

an omnicompetent genius who is deeply miserable and lying to everyone else about his misery and its causes

the gag in the pickle episode is that the therapist doesn't kiss his rear end like his family

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hope this helps this thread

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there was no redemption for walt. none

that's the point

which is why i said "a semblance", not actual redemption

quote:

an omnicompetent genius who is deeply miserable and lying to everyone else about his misery and its causes

the gag in the pickle episode is that the therapist doesn't kiss his rear end like his family

exactly, every now and then he laments how the world is so cruel to geniuses, and then his genius is rewarded and validated at every turn (but at least he feels bad about it!)

do you not see how that plays perfectly to the average narcissist computer toucher's ego? "why is the world so cruel to me, the smartest person in the room?"

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Stymie posted:

that's just it: the point they were trying to make was that the show WAS pro-therapy using that exact argument, but the reality is that the show doesn't back up that line of thinking in any way

the last scene literally shows rick being vindicated in not pursuing therapy

you can argue about the show's subtext of "rick is destructive and emotionally tortured" all you want, but when the show's text is "rick is always right and should never be opposed" it pretty thoroughly undermines the subtext

it's pretty reasonable for people to idolize rick if he's portrayed as a powerful character who's always right and never faces any consequences, unlike walt

You do realize you are overanalyzing a cartoon? Rick is a fictional character. A fictional character.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bump_fn posted:

hope this helps this thread
a good and valuable post that many people could learn from

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
rick & morty is xavier renegade angel for morons. it's time to step up to real tv.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

We Know Catheters posted:

You do realize you are overanalyzing a cartoon? Rick is a fictional character. A fictional character.

it's not really an academic thesis to say "this adult swim show is written poorly and idolized by idiots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

• Locked thread