Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You guys reckon 1.8.1 will work with most mods out right now? I want to start a new game with this overhaul I found, but I can also wait for the release since it sounds like it's fairly close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

toasterwarrior posted:

You guys reckon 1.8.1 will work with most mods out right now? I want to start a new game with this overhaul I found, but I can also wait for the release since it sounds like it's fairly close.
I'm running a huge amount on 1.8.1 and it seems fine, give it a shot and check the mods comments if youre unsure.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I got this game this weekend and have already lost too much time to it, but last night I learned that the Unbidden seem to be some serious bullshit? The event pops, they spawn with 8x my max fleet size in the middle of my territory, and eat two planets before I can even scramble any ships over there. I don't have any chance in a stand-up fight and they're wasting no time glassing everything I own, and I have no idea what I was supposed to have done differently.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't recall them ever being angry? Your own vassals/protectorates don't get border friction. They can't expand though which is the sad thing. You basically have to integrate them after 10 years for them to be useful.

I did once have a new empire actually support me in a war once! They formed up their 10 corvettes and like 5 armies with my fleet. :3:

Protectorates give you influence, which is nice. As soon as they graduate to being vassals, though, you might as well integrate them immediately.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

raminasi posted:

I got this game this weekend and have already lost too much time to it, but last night I learned that the Unbidden seem to be some serious bullshit? The event pops, they spawn with 8x my max fleet size in the middle of my territory, and eat two planets before I can even scramble any ships over there. I don't have any chance in a stand-up fight and they're wasting no time glassing everything I own, and I have no idea what I was supposed to have done differently.

Wait for them to disperse, and then start chipping away at them. You may need to pick and choose worlds worth saving.

But really it shouldn't be too bad beating them. Last patch I took them down as a smallish empire (probably 1/5th a standard galaxy) with relatively few developed planets (the RNG was unkind), though I gather they're stronger now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

raminasi posted:

That's intentional, the endgame crises are supposed to pose a serious threat to all life in the galaxy. You've got to prioritize what's worth saving and try to snipe their fleets when they venture out alone. Also, hope the rest of the galaxy joins the fight before you go extinct.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
So are the Unbidden et al supposed to pop up right next to the player's empire every time or am I just extremely unlucky?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Improbable Lobster”" post="“476890248”"]
So are the Unbidden et al supposed to pop up right next to the player’s empire every time or am I just extremely unlucky?
[/quote]

They usually don't spawn in your empire, no. Pray to RNGesus more I guess?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Improbable Lobster posted:

So are the Unbidden et al supposed to pop up right next to the player's empire every time or am I just extremely unlucky?

Don't think so, and I've seen them spawn in other places. Not sure if they're weighted to spawn near the people using jump drives or whatever though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

If you really can't deal with them, just put the setting a step down for your next game. There's no shame in secretly manipulating the Unbidden's dimension to make them weaker! :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 29, 2017

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

raminasi posted:

I'd say that the Unbidden are the middle child of the three crises. The Contingency and the Unbidden tend to create huge deadzones that surviving empires will eventually repopulate, but the Prethoryn are a galactic scale extinction event.

You just need to play in the knowledge that they are coming and prepare accordingly. You need to be wide enough that one unlucky spawn won't wipe you, have a distributed production base that can quickly replace losses, have as many sectors as possible sitting on large banks of minerals, have created a few super admirals through extra curricular wars and have a fleet composition based around countering the enemy.

In 1.8.0 the earliest they can appear is 2350, while 1.8.1 moves this to 2400. My latest crisis was in 2405, 1.8.1 and a 210,000 strength fleet was insufficient for more than 4 engagements with similarly sized Unbidden fleets before having to disengage for repairs and replacements. If your territory is on the frontlines that will mean your planets die which starts a bad cycle of decreasing fleet support and mineral output.

If an action will increase your fleet strength and 2400 is now visible, then you need to do it no matter who it screws over.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Oops, took me too long to edit my other post, so I made a new one instead:

New developments in my standard machine empire run: Now I've finally stopped the Contingency from invading my territory and started to build my fleet up to a level capable of taking down the machine world closest to me. I think I can barely reach the 200k strength I need to smash them. The battles so far have shown me that most of my designs work more or less, as long as I'm at least the same strength, I can beat the roaming Contingency-fleets with only light losses.

Now the problems. Oh, the problems.

The first great federation of the galaxy is now dying, being eaten by the three machine worlds in their part of the map. One of the two fallen empires in this game declared war on the other. The second one is also not fighting the Contingency. Instead it's slowly subduing its neighbors into thralls.

Just now the machine world at my borders invaded a planet of my archenemy, the Space Nazi Bird Fanatic Purifiers. They immediately submitted to the Fallen Empire creeping in on them. Followed by the Fallen Empire demanding my submission. I don't like this new development.

By the way this is going, half the galaxy will be sterilized before we shitheads are organized enough to deal with this threat. :shepface:

The stats for now:

21 planets assimilated
5:1 loss ratio in our favor when we fight the Contingency
4:1 loss ratio against us so far for the entire rest of the galaxy
1/3rd of the Contingency losses (About a hundred ships) have been inflicted by us (yes this means for killing ~200 AI-ships, the free galaxy lost 800 :suicide: )

This is the map. We are the Singularity Union, a bog-standard machine empire. The Berserkers are the Space Nazi Birds, who are now thralls to the Fallen Empire (the Restorers in the map). We have a growing fleet (80+k strength so far) at the northern border, to pounce on the machine world over there when we are strong enough.

The rest of the galaxy... Welp, you can see what is happening in the Westside.

Edit2:

Just 2-3 years later, those two red blobs in the west joined up. But finally, the FEs have noticed something is wrong, and I got an event saying they're preparing to fight the menace. Now that nearly half the galaxy is already toast.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 29, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Libluini posted:

21 planets assimilated
5:1 loss ratio in our favor when we fight the Contingency
4:1 loss ratio against us so far for the entire rest of the galaxy
1/3rd of the Contingency losses (About a hundred ships) have been inflicted by us (yes this means for killing ~200 AI-ships, the free galaxy lost 800 :suicide: )

That's better than my last galaxy fared against the Unbidden. Before the AE got involved (They were already awake, they just didn't give a gently caress :v:) the Unbidden had about 30:1 loss ratio against us and, I swear I'm not making GBS threads you, about 150:1 against everyone else. The only reason any of us survived is when they'd eaten a third of the galaxy (And incidentally reached my northern border) both the Aberrant and Vehement spawned right next to them so their conquest immediately stopped and turned into a big three-way clusterfuck.

e; Upwards of 60 planets had been eaten by the end.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So, um, the way Stellaris handles alliances might need some tweaking?

I'm in two wars, and it turns out I'm both allied to, and at war with the Horse Caliphate (they're horses who's also formed a caliphate).

[edit] that being said, the feudal realm civic is pretty baller. turned my first three colonies into vassals, which immediately got their own space ports and started to expand on their own. a lot more clunky, but you easily outnumber any non-advanced start quickly because of base minerals/fleet limit

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 29, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

That's better than my last galaxy fared against the Unbidden. Before the AE got involved (They were already awake, they just didn't give a gently caress :v:) the Unbidden had about 30:1 loss ratio against us and, I swear I'm not making GBS threads you, about 150:1 against everyone else. The only reason any of us survived is when they'd eaten a third of the galaxy (And incidentally reached my northern border) both the Aberrant and Vehement spawned right next to them so their conquest immediately stopped and turned into a big three-way clusterfuck.

e; Upwards of 60 planets had been eaten by the end.

We're heading there now, I think. Lost planets are up to 27. My fleet strength is now past 100k, but according to my sensor data, the machine world next to me is protected by forces totalling 250k, which is, uh... not good?

I can still smash the occasional straying enemy fleet, but with my neighbor just waiting to see how many planets the Contingency can eat before they feel stuffed, it's not going forward. At least the FEs have finally started killing AI-ships. That said, I think the number of planets dying is only low because I'm playing on a 25% planet setting. (27 planets are about 20% of the entire galaxy, so we're closing in on that 1/3rd loss rate. :v: )

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Did encounter this as well . I made the planet my capitol, but nothing bad has happened yet :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want a really good version of that, the leviathans extended mod has, a pretty great obelisk questline.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, gently caress it:

All those battleships are now getting the arc emitters I stole from the Contingency. (In case someone doesn't know: These so-called "Focused Arc Emitters" ignore 100% of shields and armor.) For the rest of my fleet, I replaced the couple laser slots I still had for some reason mixed in with my kinetics with disruptors. Also added some more neutron torpedoes in. All to get through those assholes' shields even faster. Maybe this way, I don't need to wait until I can field a full 250k fleet!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Libluini posted:

We're heading there now, I think. Lost planets are up to 27. My fleet strength is now past 100k, but according to my sensor data, the machine world next to me is protected by forces totalling 250k, which is, uh... not good?

I can still smash the occasional straying enemy fleet, but with my neighbor just waiting to see how many planets the Contingency can eat before they feel stuffed, it's not going forward. At least the FEs have finally started killing AI-ships. That said, I think the number of planets dying is only low because I'm playing on a 25% planet setting. (27 planets are about 20% of the entire galaxy, so we're closing in on that 1/3rd loss rate. :v: )

The core world contingency station is dangerous, but you can lure the defending fleet away by jumping in with a slightly smaller fleet but running into subspace further away. The AI will leave the protection of the station and you can fight them head on. Without the firepower of the fleet the space station is more of just a big HP sponge that launches strike craft at you.

Also focused arc emitters are available to anyone once you hit X weapons, they're just the tier 2 version. They cut through any shield/armor and have 100% tracking but their damage rolls anywhere from 0-200. That's what balances them out. They are extremely effective against smaller craft like corvettes and destroyers though, because they do not miss with 100% tracking and even a lower end roll is enough to KO a corvette.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 29, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

The core world contingency station is dangerous, but you can lure the defending fleet away by jumping in with a slightly smaller fleet but running into subspace further away. The AI will leave the protection of the station and you can fight them head on. Without the firepower of the fleet the space station is more of just a big HP sponge that launches strike craft at you.

Also focused arc emitters are available to anyone once you hit X weapons, they're just the tier 2 version. They cut through any shield/armor and have 100% tracking but their damage rolls anywhere from 0-200. That's what balances them out. They are extremely effective against smaller craft like corvettes and destroyers though, because they do not miss with 100% tracking and even a lower end roll is enough to KO a corvette.

Yeah, it turns out my upgrade AI had other ideas and turned all my old battleships into a version without arc emitters, apparently Giga Cannons are "better" according to whatever algorithm that part of the game uses. :v:

But it's all good! I've drained my sectors and started churning out dozens of the arc emitter models, and my fleet now has a solid backbone of long-range kinetics. More waiting time, but my final armada will hopefully teach those alien machines a lesson! After all, we are literally called the "Singularity" Union, so it's our duty to defend the metamorphosis of the lesser races!!!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Installed Guilli's planet mod last night because of all the talk about it. Holy crap this is fun, good job!

I think some of the modifiers are a bit over the top (24 slot world with +50% minerals), but I'm enjoying the hell out of it right now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Libluini posted:

Yeah, it turns out my upgrade AI had other ideas and turned all my old battleships into a version without arc emitters, apparently Giga Cannons are "better" according to whatever algorithm that part of the game uses. :v:

But it's all good! I've drained my sectors and started churning out dozens of the arc emitter models, and my fleet now has a solid backbone of long-range kinetics. More waiting time, but my final armada will hopefully teach those alien machines a lesson! After all, we are literally called the "Singularity" Union, so it's our duty to defend the metamorphosis of the lesser races!!!

Never use the autogenerated ship designs, they're usually baffling bad. The AI has really strange priorities.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Never use the autogenerated ship designs, they're usually baffling bad. The AI has really strange priorities.

Oh, I don't use autogenerated designs. The upgrade AI turned the ships into another one of mine. It does that sometimes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wanted to install guilli's planet modifiers, and accidentally searched for "mod".

Some guy named Caeser has uploaded five 0mb mods called "mod".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
How are they?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Post multiple reviews asking when they'll be updated to the latest patch.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

So... I wanted to check how much a non-issue Unrest is. Unfortunately, all but singular pops were not unhappy enough on my core planets, I have to check sectors to find this turd:

Adriatica, the planet where the failed terraforming project causes horrible weather anomalies and hallucinogenic gas in the atmosphere makes people embrace weird philosophies. Surely unrest is going to be a problem there, right?

Apparently not. I didn't even build these armies, the sector AI bought them.

But gently caress this, apparently my empire is an island of happiness on the ocean of suffering. Let's see how do other nations fare...

I don't think it can get more hellish than that. Look at those pissed sundews, they must be hungry for blood of their oppressors...

Um, nope. Apparently the militarist AI likes to build armies. It's an overkill, though. A planet without slaves needs 50 Unrest before it. All those pissed pops only produce about 65. The leader lowers it by 20. Each army reduces Unrest by 10. This planet needs 5 armies to completely nullify the threat of a rebellion. And it only needs that much because their leader is weak. With a good enough ruler, it looks like that:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Unrest is usually more of an issue on recently conquered planets. Armies can get expensive if you're having chronic happiness issues to be sure but the real penalty there is the loss of all those bonus resources from unproductive pops.

Whereas I've run into issues with recently annexed planets having unrest in the ~300-400 range and it starts causing all sorts of annoying poo poo to happen. That's usually when everyone gets nerve staple though because I'm not putting up with that poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Unrest might as well not be in the game it's so easy to manage, a couple extra ground troops or tossing propaganda broadcasts on makes it such a non-issue. I wish it was scary and you'd see large bloated empires fracture apart after a disastrous war or economic problem. I want to hear reports that after that big militarist empire white-peaced out on me their population has gotten upset they didn't meet any of their wargoals and unrest is a big problem. I want to hear about a country having energy shortages leading to economic problems leading to all sorts of protests and uprisings. I want to grapple with hard to deal with independence movements within my democratic country because I conquered a bunch of alien worlds and how do I reconcile being a democracy with full citizen rights for everyone when a huge majority of several planets want to vote on independence so I free them as a vassal instead.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Unrest might as well not be in the game it's so easy to manage, a couple extra ground troops or tossing propaganda broadcasts on makes it such a non-issue. I wish it was scary and you'd see large bloated empires fracture apart after a disastrous war or economic problem. I want to hear reports that after that big militarist empire white-peaced out on me their population has gotten upset they didn't meet any of their wargoals and unrest is a big problem. I want to hear about a country having energy shortages leading to economic problems leading to all sorts of protests and uprisings. I want to grapple with hard to deal with independence movements within my democratic country because I conquered a bunch of alien worlds and how do I reconcile being a democracy with full citizen rights for everyone when a huge majority of several planets want to vote on independence so I free them as a vassal instead.

Basically you/I/we want the EU4 or CK2 system of frequent revolts and empires falling apart and combining back together in different ways, like Paradox's other games, rather than the 4X system of countries just getting bigger and bigger and bigger until the endgame crisis.

tbh I think the endgame crises don't help at all with the grand strategy aspects of Stellaris. The need to blob, and to encourage AI blobbing, so that the galaxy is even remotely capable of resisting whatever endgame crisis you get, is so strong that it prevents the game from adequately replicating those kinds of internal dynamics and dangers as the other Paradox games, where if there is some external threat it's much, much less threatening and interacts with the world in a different way (i.e. the Mongol invasions in CK2 are a threat if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but they don't threaten to literally exterminate all of Europe and end your game).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Basically you/I/we want the EU4 or CK2 system of frequent revolts and empires falling apart and combining back together in different ways, like Paradox's other games, rather than the 4X system of countries just getting bigger and bigger and bigger until the endgame crisis.

Extremely this. Should require effort to conquer a bunch of aliens that hate you and rule over them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

tbh I think the endgame crises don't help at all with the grand strategy aspects of Stellaris. The need to blob, and to encourage AI blobbing, so that the galaxy is even remotely capable of resisting whatever endgame crisis you get, is so strong that it prevents the game from adequately replicating those kinds of internal dynamics and dangers as the other Paradox games, where if there is some external threat it's much, much less threatening and interacts with the world in a different way (i.e. the Mongol invasions in CK2 are a threat if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but they don't threaten to literally exterminate all of Europe and end your game).

Stellaris is like playing EU4 with sunset invasion on. You just spend the whole game blobbing as hard and fast as you can to prep for that massive off-map invasion. It just seems weird with how stellaris can so quickly randomly generate and handle new countries that there aren't more mechanics around it. Everyone just blobs, there's no stability or core costs, you don't need CB's to go to war, there's no badboy or AE system. You just blob until you come up against a bigger blob, and then all the blobs make webs of defense pacts and alliances that get super hosed up once war starts, or worse, war in heaven starts.

I want to see that huge rapidly expanding empire built on conquest and slavery end up with only 20% of it's population being it's founding species and the rest being really angry conquered folk suddenly face coordinated uprisings that see it fracture into 9 pieces. 4 of the new countries have similar ethos and form a federation, others end up eating each other including their former masters eventually forming a lovely slave dictatorship them selves. The map has changed and a story has been told.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, I finally cracked the machine world hanging around in my neck, obliterating 250k worth of Contingency-forces in the process. Meanwhile, the Contingency ate nearly the entire western half of the galaxy. It got so bad they actually reached my borders from the other side, so my surviving fleet had to jump down there immediately.

Situation now: Rest of the galaxy still hilariously incompetent, and there were so many roaming enemy fleets I racked up 250k more in kills. Still, even after taking out 500k fleet strength I still had a sizable fleet left, so I attempted to retake the one out-of-place colony the Contingency could take from me before my main fleet destroyed the machine planet on the other side of my empire. Now a sixth fleet is showing up!

Welp, time for a long, drawn-out war against the giant death empire the Contingency build up on the other side of the galaxy.

If this is a crisis at 75% strength, I'm feeling really, really glad I didn't leave the setting on the 1,5x default. :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Unrest is usually more of an issue on recently conquered planets. Armies can get expensive if you're having chronic happiness issues to be sure but the real penalty there is the loss of all those bonus resources from unproductive pops.

Whereas I've run into issues with recently annexed planets having unrest in the ~300-400 range and it starts causing all sorts of annoying poo poo to happen. That's usually when everyone gets nerve staple though because I'm not putting up with that poo poo.

I'm running a notborg empire in my game and recently annexed a bunch of worlds, and all of these worlds are running max unhappiness in spite of patrol drones, 25 odd armies on their worlds and other stuff.

I wish there was a mod to make it so that you could assimilate more than 1 to 4 pops per YEAR, 1-4 a month would be more appropriate otherwise it's literally going to take decades to bring all these people into the fold

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

tithin posted:

I'm running a notborg empire in my game and recently annexed a bunch of worlds, and all of these worlds are running max unhappiness in spite of patrol drones, 25 odd armies on their worlds and other stuff.

I wish there was a mod to make it so that you could assimilate more than 1 to 4 pops per YEAR, 1-4 a month would be more appropriate otherwise it's literally going to take decades to bring all these people into the fold

There's a patch coming that makes it 1-4 per planet per year.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

tithin posted:

Opt into 1.8.1 and you'll see it switched to 1-4 per planet instead. Should significantly cut down the wait.

Edit: did the beta patch not change that? I don't recall all the patch notes off hand but I thought it did.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yes, 1.8.1 allows Cyborg pops in an Assimilator empire to grow and also 1-4 pops per year per planet. There's basically no reason to still be playing 1.8 at this point just opt into the beta it's a much better experience and also sectors won't build food everywhere.

HOWEVER, they still will not build robots. Wiz!!!!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Patches are just professionally-authored mods when you think about it

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Assimilators in 1.8.1 are in a good place with the conversion being per planet. It's been a bit tougher than I expected; everyone hates you but your machine bros- the ability to use the traders offsets the lack of exterminator buffs.

It probably didn't help I had two advanced spiritualist empires next door, as well as the devouring swarm who has had time to start reaching around the spiritualists to say hi. And two of the fallen empires have woken up. It's a gigantic clusterfuck and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Also I'm extremely happy that Rogue Servitor armies are "Pro-active Caretakers". Even the giant robots.

• Locked thread