Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Astro Ambulance posted:

I'll admit, I teared up a little at this one.

Mikl posted:

Yep, same here.

When I was little I had pretty much perfect vision, but throughout primary school and junior high my eyesight gradually became worse and worse. So gradually in fact that I didn't even notice it. Only after I started high school did my teachers notice I was squinting really hard at the blackboard and I couldn't play ball for poo poo, so they recommended to my parents to have my eyesight checked out. So I got my first pair of glasses.

Holy poo poo guys. :pcgaming:

Did you know that trees, those green blobs found in gardens and parks, are actually made of leaves? Did you know those white blobs in the sky have actual shapes? Did you know the Moon has a face? Did you know that when you stand on a hill at night you can see the lights of the city, with all the buildings and cars and poo poo, and not just an indistinct blurry mess?

It was amazing.

Count me in the super nearsighted who got very happy reading this chapter group. And I basically had the same experience as you, although in my case my parents realized it when I couldn't see a boat that was clearly in sight. Went to the doctor, and yup, I was nearsighted. Got a 3 in my first pair of glasses, 11 years ago. Now it's a 9. I was going to get surgery this year but I never got authorization because paying a lot for medical stuff is apparently not good enough sometimes. Oh well, I'm okay with my glasses and I admit, Senku pointing out that's totally fine made me really happy, as did Suika's happiness at being able to see the world.

I'm ten billion percent glad I'm reading this right now. And I wouldn't be able to do it without science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm imagining the fight between Kinrou and Magma and Kinrou is losing until he finally puts on a pair of glasses made for him and it becomes a shonen power-up for him and he beats down Magma. Bonus points if Magma steals the glasses thinking it'll make him powerful too, only it greatly weakens him.

That would legit be the best shounen power up in the history of shounen power ups.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mikl posted:

Yep, same here.

When I was little I had pretty much perfect vision, but throughout primary school and junior high my eyesight gradually became worse and worse. So gradually in fact that I didn't even notice it. Only after I started high school did my teachers notice I was squinting really hard at the blackboard and I couldn't play ball for poo poo, so they recommended to my parents to have my eyesight checked out. So I got my first pair of glasses.

Holy poo poo guys. :pcgaming:

Did you know that trees, those green blobs found in gardens and parks, are actually made of leaves? Did you know those white blobs in the sky have actual shapes? Did you know the Moon has a face? Did you know that when you stand on a hill at night you can see the lights of the city, with all the buildings and cars and poo poo, and not just an indistinct blurry mess?

It was amazing.

I had no idea I needed glasses until I went to get my learner's and the lady at the DMV gave me a test that revealed I could barely read past the 3rd line on the vision chart.

She fudged me through so I wouldn't have to come back but it was off to the optometrist again.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I kinda liked how they put the lenses on Sukia's helment rather than simply giving her glasses .

khy
Aug 15, 2005

E: Just went back and re-read and I mis-read so my post is invalid.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hopeford posted:

That would legit be the best shounen power up in the history of shounen power ups.

I found a visual of what it might look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqgoEAzDns

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/29/page/1

Ripped craftsman dude owns.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Aw hell yeah BUFF GRANDPA JOINS THE PARTY

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I think my favorite thing about this manga is that it is basically "What if we had sports-superpowers without the sports?" taken to its extreme, and it's extremely good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My favorite thing is how sincere Senkuu is
especially that one panel :3:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I really liked the two brothers reasoning out why they really needed those shiny spears, for wholly practical and legitimate reasons.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dr Stone rules and Boichi should do more comedy instead of the gangster/sci-fi softcore stuff because he's really fuckin' good at it.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
boichi is just doing the art for this series

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the eyeshield guy is writing dr stone

boichi is writing his own series tho. it's called origin and it's about androids

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pierson posted:

Dr Stone rules and Boichi should do more comedy instead of the gangster/sci-fi softcore stuff because he's really fuckin' good at it.

Do you have a moment to listen to the story of our lord and saviour Jun Shiozaki?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
You can tell Boichi's working with someone else on this because it doesn't have half as much cheesecake as he'd be putting in on a solo series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kinda curious how this conflict is gonna work out, because I can't really think of anything short of actual guns that would definitely allow Senkuu's side to defeat Tsukasa's army of swole warriors (and I feel like it's a huge stretch to make any particularly effective firearms within just a few years). Like, even if he manages to manufacture better armor and melee weapons, I'm not sure if that would make the difference against the super-human sorta fighters Senkuu is gathering.

Depending on just how primitive Tsukasa's side is, Senkuu's side might benefit from just the mass production of higher quality bows, crossbows, and other weapons. Crossbows in particular I think are useful in terms of letting even less skilled people contribute, and it seems like we're supposed to just assume Senkuu is capable of building most things as long as he has the necessary tools and materials.

Another thing I'm wondering about is how this conflict is gonna occur without a heck of a lot of bloodshed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk man, senkuu's village is pretty physically fit themselves. just having more advanced weaponry and maybe even some armor would give them a big advantage

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still don't get what the con-artist thinks he's gonna get out of an anarcho-primativist commune of gorilla-people. He's exactly the kind of dude they'd hate.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Team Science could probably do pretty well just having flashlights during a night raid. Or if Senkuu figures out how to fix broken statue-people, some portion Tsukasa's group who didn't want to kill their parents might switch sides. Or if this antibiotics plan works out, it opens up the possibility of germ warfare.

Ok maybe that last one is a bit dark for Shounen Jump.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I still don't get what the con-artist thinks he's gonna get out of an anarcho-primativist commune of gorilla-people. He's exactly the kind of dude they'd hate.

they explained what he would have got for siding with tsukasa (women, basically). instead he sided with senkuu over the promise of some soda

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda curious how this conflict is gonna work out, because I can't really think of anything short of actual guns that would definitely allow Senkuu's side to defeat Tsukasa's army of swole warriors (and I feel like it's a huge stretch to make any particularly effective firearms within just a few years). Like, even if he manages to manufacture better armor and melee weapons, I'm not sure if that would make the difference against the super-human sorta fighters Senkuu is gathering.

Depending on just how primitive Tsukasa's side is, Senkuu's side might benefit from just the mass production of higher quality bows, crossbows, and other weapons. Crossbows in particular I think are useful in terms of letting even less skilled people contribute, and it seems like we're supposed to just assume Senkuu is capable of building most things as long as he has the necessary tools and materials.

Another thing I'm wondering about is how this conflict is gonna occur without a heck of a lot of bloodshed.

clearly the escalation is biological warfare

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

the science kid is establishing his m.o. right now, hes gonna seduce everyone into the kingdom of science. culture victory

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the soda option doesn't preclude female attention while the warlord option does in fact preclude soda

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Senkuu can make gunpowder and can use that to make bombs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a matter of differing philosophies, really. senkuu appeals to the idea that they can regain something of what they lost. tsukasa appeals to the idea that they are better off now. i rather doubt that this will suddenly go full battle manga.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the chance that everyone tsukasa revives being into his whole "none of the creature comforts of modern society" thing is pretty bad. Case in point, the con-artist guy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NecroMonster posted:

the chance that everyone tsukasa revives being into his whole "none of the creature comforts of modern society" thing is pretty bad. Case in point, the con-artist guy.

I assume he just kills them on the spot unless they can convince him otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm guessing that if it gets far enough to be a competetion between competing societies, tsukasa won't be able to keep control. see, why should someone be content with living primitively under tsukasa when they could go take over senkuu's society instead? they'd get to be in charge while still reaping all the benefits of civilization.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RatHat posted:

I assume he just kills them on the spot unless they can convince him otherwise.

That's not the point really. Tsukasa's idea is fine up until the point that his people realize they have an option. Anyone he revives is going to agree with him at first, but he's going to have a problem with defectors, big time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

And Senkuu was probably counting on just that when he gave Tsukasa the recipe. People who remember the old world would be a liability to Tsukasa, while Senkuu can still work with the "primitives", by impressing them and improving their lots in life. Yeah, Senkuu could have gotten poo poo done faster with modern people, but the primitives aren't nearly as big a handicap to him and the modern people will be to Tsukasa.

Tsukasa just isn't in a good position, and the longer things go on, the worse his position becomes. He's going to have to act soon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a real twist would be if tsukasa somehow got wind of the competition to become the next chief and crashed it. he could easily win.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a real twist would be if tsukasa somehow got wind of the competition to become the next chief and crashed it. he could easily win.

Ok yeah there's no way this doesn't happen.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Now that I think about it, Magma could become Tsukasa's Starscream.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Senku will re-invent ice cream, and everyone will cry tears of joy at the rediscovery of mankind's greatest source of comfort.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Now that I think about it, Magma could become Tsukasa's Starscream.

I feel like Magma defecting to Tsukasa's side is completely telegraphed. He'll probably steal one of Senku's inventions and think giving it to Tsukasa will earn him a high status. Except he'd probably pick one of Senku's most useless ingredients or something. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even if he really stole one of senkuu's invention, tsukasa wouldn't use it. that's his whole thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
senkuu is going to build an orbital death ray

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

even if he really stole one of senkuu's invention, tsukasa wouldn't use it. that's his whole thing

But didn't he already do that with the miracle water? I feel like Tsukasa is a hypocrite and wouldn't hesitate to use science if he's on the losing side and insist there's nothing wrong with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that is a good point that I didn't consider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think Tsukasa cares about technology itself, he just doesn't want to recreate the old world. So if he can still maintain his paradise with some technology he'd probably use it.