Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Locator posted:

Some good IT security decision making going on there!

But we can save valuable taxpayer money!* :colbert:

* Warning. No money may actually be saved**.

** The men responsible subsequently getting non-executive directorships in the company awarded the contract is entirely coincedental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Burno posted:

had to bring up this post from a few pages back cause this video is really cool overview on ECM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5T1vPmA-l4

I got wood. Mark that thing NSFW!

Is there a declassified report that shows the effectiveness of North Vietnamese radar systems during the war?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dark Helmut posted:

So I'm going to Udvar Hazy for the first time Saturday. How many hours should I plan for so I can see everything good? Should I wear loose clothing to conceal my arousal?

As much time as you can get in the day. If you can pull off an all day from open to close, try and do it. You will not be bored and worst case it'll give you more time to look at detail and take poo poo tons of pics.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Genuine question: why does the USAF not do sick camo paint schemes? (Not counting aggressors) Is it just a cost vs. usefulness thing?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Murgos posted:

I got wood. Mark that thing NSFW!

Is there a declassified report that shows the effectiveness of North Vietnamese radar systems during the war?

My guess is no, because those same systems are still in use globally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Stridsvagn 103 is a prime example of weird Swedish materiel.

And it kicked rear end.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
My bad for being stupid enough to get sucked into a stupid argument with stupid people.

Platystemon posted:

Stridsvagn 103 is a prime example of weird Swedish materiel.

CommieGIR posted:

And it kicked rear end.
The Stridsvagn 103 is really interesting as a clever, outside the box solution that got sidelined by one bad assumption. In it's case, assuming stabilisation technology wouldn't be significantly improved in the near future. At the time they designed it that seemed reasonable, but by the time it was in service the Leopard 1 was just about to come on line with a system that would allow it to fire effectively on the move. So it ends up being this one-off curiousity instead of an innovative harbinger of things to come.

It's a bit like I-153, or the XB-70, which got rendered surplus even before it was finished by better missile technology, or the Saunders-Roe Princess. I'm trying to think of other aircraft that suffered the same fate. Something like the B-36 doesn't count because it was a successful design, even if it was clearly the last effort of an older technological era. Nor does something like the F-82 Twin Mustang, which was intended to be an interim solution from the beginning of its service.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I want a world in which CR.32s, Avia B-542, I-15s, He 51s, P.11s, D.371s and D.500s mix it up, like WWII kicks off in 1936 or something.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want a world in which CR.32s, Avia B-542, I-15s, He 51s, P.11s, D.371s and D.500s mix it up, like WWII kicks off in 1936 or something.
That would be a fun alternate history, though apparently the He 51 was so lovely even the I-15 could eat its lunch. So the Luftwaffe probably would have forced the Bf 109 into service even earlier, or licensed the CR.32 from the Italians.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Luneshot posted:

Genuine question: why does the USAF not do sick camo paint schemes? (Not counting aggressors) Is it just a cost vs. usefulness thing?

They do, the grey is low visibility at distance.

Anything that could hit a military jet at distances where camo would be actually visually resolved (and camo against what? They are flying over all sorts of terrain etc) won't be put off or confused in the slightest by it.

Visible range matters so little for fighter engagement that might as well paint it whatever is the hardest to spot at distance and call it a day.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

F-18s should obviously be painted to look like another F-18 with buddy stores, so as to best blend in with their natural backdrop.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
galaxys should be painted like the inside of a hangar

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Dark Helmut posted:

So I'm going to Udvar Hazy for the first time Saturday. How many hours should I plan for so I can see everything good? Should I wear loose clothing to conceal my arousal?

I got there at opening and closed the place down. If you take your time and look at everything, it's easy to spend 7 hours there. They've got some really :cool: poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luneshot posted:

The USA's current tactics are all based around flying big heavy airplanes way up high against enemies with no air force. Pale gray blends into the haze when you're trying to spot the F-15 dropping bombs on you from 25,000 feet.

If hiding down in the weeds was still something that they needed to do, or if there were any threats coming from above instead of below, you'd probably see camouflage coming back. Look-down-shoot-down radar has made a lot of it obsolete, but a camo paintjob would still be beneficial in a low-altitude dogfight -- if there was anyone still doing that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

F-18s should obviously be painted to look like another F-18 with buddy stores, so as to best blend in with their natural backdrop.

I thought F-18s were mostly inhabiting Fleet Readiness Center overhaul hangars, at this point?

Maybe paint forklifts and engine hoists on them?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Okay, that all makes sense.

Still wish we had cool paintjobs though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Luneshot posted:

Okay, that all makes sense.

Still wish we had cool paintjobs though.

Here ya go:

(Oregon ANG, so they've a bit more leeway)

Also look up "F-16 Heritage" on Google Image Search.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Sagebrush posted:

The USA's current tactics are all based around flying big heavy airplanes way up high against enemies with no air force. Pale gray blends into the haze when you're trying to spot the F-15 dropping bombs AMRAAMS on you from 25,000 60,000 feet.
Fixed. The bombers are a darker gray than the fighters, to camo against fighters looking down on them/AA looking up at them at night.

Fighter:

Bomber:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 28, 2017

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

charliemonster42 posted:

I got there at opening and closed the place down. If you take your time and look at everything, it's easy to spend 7 hours there. They've got some really :cool: poo poo

Thanks for the tips everyone. Going with the wife and some of her family so I doubt an open-close visit is an option but I will make sure I get 4 hours out of it

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Dark Helmut posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone. Going with the wife and some of her family so I doubt an open-close visit is an option but I will make sure I get 4 hours out of it

My girlfriend hung on like a champ. She geeked the gently caress out about the space shuttle and space section in general, since she is also a colossal nerd like me. :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dark Helmut posted:

There is the IMAX theater as well as the observation tower - those are both places to kill a goodly amount of time, and the theater you can sit down in. Combine the tower with a plane tracking app like Flightradar24 and it can be a nice way to kill 30 minutes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Yes and the Navy publishes it here: http://www.navair.navy.mil/nawcwd/ewssa/downloads/NAWCWD%20TP%208347.pdf

Its targeted at engineers but some of the ones they dont go into detail like "range gate pull off" as techniques are understandable by a layperson. E.G:

Just scanning through and I want to pull out a couple choice nuggets because the topic of AESA comes up fairly frequently:

LOW PROBABILITY OF INTERCEPT posted:

Since the AESA can change its frequency with every pulse, and generally does so using a pseudo-random sequence, integrating over time does not help pull the signal out of the background noise. Nor does the AESA have any sort of fixed pulse repetition frequency, which can also be varied and thus hide any periodic brightening across the entire spectrum. Traditional RWRs suffered significantly decreased effectiveness against AESA radars.

HIGH JAMMING RESISTANCE posted:

Since an AESA could change its operating frequency with every pulse, and spread the frequencies across a wide band even in a single pulse, jammers are much less effective. Although it is possible to send out broadband white noise against all the possible frequencies, this means the amount of energy being sent at any one frequency is much lower, reducing its effectiveness. In fact, AESAs can then be switched to a receive-only mode, and use these powerful jamming signals instead to track its source, something that required a separate receiver in older platforms.

OTHER ADVANTAGES posted:

Since each element in an AESA is a powerful radio receiver, active arrays have many roles besides traditional radar. One use is to dedicate several of the elements to reception of common radar signals, eliminating the need or a separate radar warning receiver. The same basic concept can be used to provide traditional radio support, and with some elements also broadcasting, form a very high bandwidth data link.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Godspeed, you random Chinese guys making homemade aircraft.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They all look like flying fú qis, but this one in particular looks like "successfully flown" means "any landing you're successfully stretchered away from".

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sagebrush posted:

This has reminded me of something I've always wondered about : is there a good (unclassified) article or publication somewhere that explains exactly what EW aircraft are doing? Like, on a level that's more technical than wikipedia's "they jam the radars :downs: " -- what sort of techniques do the electronics use, what's the technical basis for it, what are the EW officers doing moment-to-moment, how far away can they do it from, what does it actually do to the enemy radar, how do you counteract it, all that stuff.

I know that all the modern techniques are very classified but there has to be a basic primer on the topic somewhere.

What you want is Lärobok i telekrigföring för luftvärnet: radar och radartaktik (Electronic Warfare Textbook for the Air Defense: Radar and Radar Tactics), a 440 page textbook published in 2004, going over all the basics on exactly how radars and jamming them actually works (in layman's terms - it is written to be understandable to someone with a high school education, i.e. officer cadets), as well as tactical fundamentals for the use of radar and radar countermeasures. Unfortunately, it is in Swedish, and since it's long as gently caress I can't really translate much for you. It does cite a bunch of English references/sources, but when I googled them they tend to be books that are $100 or so on Amazon...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

Godspeed, you random Chinese guys making homemade aircraft.

It's an amazing field where the homemade blimp made by a farmer looks the safest

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's an amazing field where the homemade blimp made by a farmer looks the safest

It's also the only one that made it out of ground effect.

Not that I can blame the other two for not flying above "will probably just break a leg" altitude.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TheFluff posted:

What you want is Lärobok i telekrigföring för luftvärnet: radar och radartaktik (Electronic Warfare Textbook for the Air Defense: Radar and Radar Tactics), a 440 page textbook published in 2004, going over all the basics on exactly how radars and jamming them actually works (in layman's terms - it is written to be understandable to someone with a high school education, i.e. officer cadets), as well as tactical fundamentals for the use of radar and radar countermeasures. Unfortunately, it is in Swedish, and since it's long as gently caress I can't really translate much for you. It does cite a bunch of English references/sources, but when I googled them they tend to be books that are $100 or so on Amazon...

Interesting stuff. I'm going to try reading that, but it will be hard without laughing my butt off from all the weird words. "Vilseledning", "åtgärder" :lol:

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
The B-1s original desert camo was pretty dope.

The anti-flash white with the SAC emblem was also a good look.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

But we can save valuable taxpayer money!* :colbert:

* Warning. No money may actually be saved**.

** The men responsible subsequently getting non-executive directorships in the company awarded the contract is entirely coincedental.

We've come back around to Britishprocurement.txt again I see.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LOVING that Swedish book, also loving the craftily translated terminology:

Nice piece of fish posted:

"Vilseledning", "åtgärder" :lol:

Åtgärder is a normal phrase but vilseledning is fantastic. Perhaps it's in normal use as well, but as translation for spoof or decoy it does the job much better than the Norwegians who'll just say it in English with a local pronunciation.

Maybe the Swedes do as well and are only linguistically strict in literature. "Kolla grabben, ryssjävlar! Skicka dikåis, spoofa dom för fan!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So are Swedish and Norwegian basically dialects of the same language like British English and Scottish English? Or more like Spanish and Portuguese where they're kind of mutually understandable but holy gently caress do not sound alike at all?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Finger Prince posted:

So are Swedish and Norwegian basically dialects of the same language like British English and Scottish English? Or more like Spanish and Portuguese where they're kind of mutually understandable but holy gently caress do not sound alike at all?

All of the Scandinavian languages share common ground.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

D C posted:

All of the Scandinavian languages share common ground.

:sweden::stare:
:denmark::stare:......:finland:
:norway::stare:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Finger Prince posted:

Ask the scandithread and you'll get about fourty different opinions. It's more like the difference between south african english and heavily accented scottish, if it isn't officially completely seperate and not really mutually intelligible language, it's close enough to that to not really matter.

Norwegians understand spoken swedish and written swedish and danish, swedes don't understand anything and nobody understands spoken danish. That's basically it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Nice piece of fish posted:

Norwegians understand spoken swedish and written swedish and danish, swedes don't understand anything and nobody understands spoken danish. That's basically it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

This thread needs more Hustle:

That's a weird looking Foxbat, whose is it? :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

From the TV show Narcos. What airplane is pretending to be in the USAF?