Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

I bought a Saipan a while back because I am dumb. I figured I may as well try it out. What the gently caress am I meant to do vs a Ranger flying wings of like 8 fighters? I am not very good at CVs and don't play them much, but my hot take is that CV balance is poo poo.

Unless you have another CV that's at least tier VI, I suggest that you take your Saipan into Co-Op or training rooms until you get the hang of manual drops and strafing.

In a nutshell, you beat the Ranger (and every other non-Saipan CV) by taking advantage of your superior strafes. Also watch this. Fara is one of the better CV players and has a ton of guides out.

Blindeye posted:

You have tier 9 fighters with much better dpm, speed, and hitpoints. You also can break a dogfight by strafe-locking with no penalty. Basically it means you control the engagements and can strafe his fighters to death so long as you don't wander into his strafes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTy7UrLPlTM

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

The 301 Saipan is the best CV to learn on. Or play while inebriated. The autodrops on the bombs have the same diameter as manual drops so you can go hog-wild harassing DDs with ease, and you can pretty easily shut down any other CV with the 3 fighters. I like to send one squad to each CP and just poo poo all over DDs all game every game.

My spotting damage record is with my Saipan, for 235k damage. :smugdog:

I am a bastard.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
See you are assuming I took the AS loadout, perhaps that was my first mistake.

I did try Co-op mode, a bad player called Torpedoteddy TKed me and wrote a very poorly spelled page of insults. I have also tried playing the IJN CV line up to T6, but since you don't even have strafes until 6 it has not helped much.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The removal of strafes and manual drops has always been a bit surreal to me. I understand and support that they wanted to reduce the count of seal clubbers on the servers and to an extent they did reduce Langley players a small amount except for the most dedicated ones (looking at you, RabbitFleet!). Since new players becoming frustrated by dying instantly to things they don't understand is the quickest path to getting them to quit and reduces a potential customer. At the same time, autodrops are still going to hit new players who aren't used to playing against carriers to begin with.

I can't help but think that removing crucial mechanics for higher tier play from the starting tiers of a class is in part detrimental to any balance decision. There was probably a better way to go about it, but then again Wargaming doesn't even have a CV tutorial to begin with. :shrug:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
2/2/0 is the correct Saipan loadout, but you need to be good at strafing to get it to work. Locking fighters in the Saipan is almost always a mistake unless it's above a friendly Cleveland or somehing. It is a very good ship to learn strafing on though since it's pretty forgiving; your fighters are far faster than anyone else's and you can always escape fighter lock at no cost. Keep in mind that if you get locked by someone else rightclicking on you, you need to rightclick their squad back first and only then can you strafe escape. This is of course not documented anywhere, it's just something you need to watch YouTube spergs to figure out - I thought it was an interface bug for months until Aerroon mentioned it in passing. Carrier mechanics are loving arcane and it's like the entire class is designed to gently caress over new players (and their teams) as much as possible.

In other news,

the Murmansk is good :colbert:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

I did try Co-op mode, a bad player called Torpedoteddy TKed me and wrote a very poorly spelled page of insults.

Oh, so it was exactly like a Random Battles match. :v:

Heartcatch posted:

The removal of strafes and manual drops has always been a bit surreal to me. I understand and support that they wanted to reduce the count of seal clubbers on the servers and to an extent they did reduce Langley players a small amount except for the most dedicated ones (looking at you, RabbitFleet!). Since new players becoming frustrated by dying instantly to things they don't understand is the quickest path to getting them to quit and reduces a potential customer. At the same time, autodrops are still going to hit new players who aren't used to playing against carriers to begin with.

I can't help but think that removing crucial mechanics for higher tier play from the starting tiers of a class is in part detrimental to any balance decision. There was probably a better way to go about it, but then again Wargaming doesn't even have a CV tutorial to begin with. :shrug:

I gotta say, removing manual drops like that made it a lot easier to play my Arkansas Beta (until the Orion appeared :saddowns:).

They badly need tutorials for a lot of things. It would really help in general to have a bunch of them built into the game, since I'm pretty sure 90% of the players never bother watching the hundreds of tutorial vids on Youtube.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

El Disco posted:

I gotta say, removing manual drops like that made it a lot easier to play my Arkansas Beta (until the Orion appeared :saddowns:).

They badly need tutorials for a lot of things. It would really help in general to have a bunch of them built into the game, since I'm pretty sure 90% of the players never bother watching the hundreds of tutorial vids on Youtube.

Iwaki Alpha doesn't have an issue with planes or Orion because it can smoke. :smugdog:

Making it easier for low tier players to have a good time is always a plus, but barring experienced players from playing low tiers is also a bad thing. It's hard to balance profit, player retention, and satisfaction. I tried out the initial tutorial a long time ago and it was pretty bad in retrospect. I'm not even sure if it still exists.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have a CV tutorial after they rework the class in 2016! :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

El Disco posted:

Oh, so it was exactly like a Random Battles match. :v:

I'm so glad videogames don't have manuals anymore.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
What's the best way to get camo? I use to get a bunch from the crates but now I barely get any, let alone the xp ones. Is it best to just buy some?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What's the best way to get camo? I use to get a bunch from the crates but now I barely get any, let alone the xp ones. Is it best to just buy some?

If you're looking for the non-credit camos, open up flag/camo containers. Otherwise, do the missions that give em out. If you play Ranked, you will be swimming in camos. I have over 400 Type 3 - Ranked Camos, and 200 Ocean Souls, with a smattering of other camos (150 Restless Fires, 200 New Years). Don't waste your camos on every battle, focus them on the ships (or captain) you want to advance more quickly. There will sometimes be challenges that pop up that give a camo every completion, such as last Halloween's special mission that rewarded a Halloween Camo if you did like 10k damage or something easy. Gobble those up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

TheFluff posted:

Keep in mind that if you get locked by someone else rightclicking on you, you need to rightclick their squad back first and only then can you strafe escape.

Son of a bitch. I was wondering why that poo poo never worked.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Next month has a series of missions to get the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya tier 5 Russian BB and its special camo. Looks pretty easy.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 29, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Victor Surge posted:

Next month has a series of missions to get the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya tier 5 Russian BB and its special camp. Looks pretty easy.

Kinda wanna buy the boat for the 21 free containers that will come with it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does Wargaming really deserve your money?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

No.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

MikeC posted:

Does Wargaming really deserve your money?

No. Will we spend it anyways? :shepspends::shepspends::homebrew:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The only money I ever gave WG was for an E25 in WoT and they're gonna have to up their premium boat game if they want any more. :colbert:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

bloom posted:

The only money I ever gave WG was for an E25 in WoT and they're gonna have to up their premium boat game if they want any more. :colbert:

They did, you missed out on the gremy and nicolai.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Can whoever runs UNCUT please start unlocking the +xp bonuses rather than the ship discounts?

edit: any tips and tricks on Aoba? Just bought it. C Hull Furataka was bearable but 15s reloads are atrocious. 11s reloads are a bit better but only 6 guns............

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 30, 2017

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

Can whoever runs UNCUT please start unlocking the +xp bonuses rather than the ship discounts?

edit: any tips and tricks on Aoba? Just bought it. C Hull Furataka was bearable but 15s reloads are atrocious. 11s reloads are a bit better but only 6 guns............

Sorry about that, those were unlocked before the big recruitment drive. I was going to ask if people wanted the XP bonus or the service cost buildings.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
either is cool.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'll give them some credit(s), this whole crimson container thing is a pretty brilliant way to pump up the sales for what will probably be a bad ship

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It seems worthwhile only if you can pull 2500 doubloons four times given the price on Asia.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Those crimson containers could be pretty sweet.

Buuuuuut you'll probably pull the free xp out of every one and a pity 250 doubloons on the final day or something.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MikeC posted:

The Aoba has been powercreeped a fair bit and isn't particularly good for a T6 cruiser, but it's still definitely workable. It's quite unlike the other T6 cruisers though, and has a lot in common with the higher tier IJN cruisers, especially the Myoko and the Atago. These three have the following things in common:
- Large turning circle
- Slow turret traverse (although the Aoba is far better than the Myoko)
- Slow reload
- Bad turret angles (again Aoba isn't that bad, Myoko and Atago have it far worse)
- Relatively high top speed (35 knots)
- Long range torpedoes with a good number of launchers
- Very high HE damage and fire chance per shell

From this, it should be obvious that you do not brawl unless you know exactly what you are doing. The torpedoes are actually really really good and have really nasty alpha, but on the Aoba and Myoko you can only fire them backwards, so they're not really useful for offensive work. They are very handy if someone's chasing you, though, and if you hang around islands like you should be doing, you can pull off some pretty nice surprises with them. Other than that, the IJN cruisers rely a lot less on spamming than other cruisers and a lot more on alpha damage and fires. The AP isn't much good at ranges over 10-12km, but you have the best 203mm HE in the game, so stick to that. You can do hilarious alpha to DD's if you hit them, but since these ships handle pretty awkwardly and the Aoba in particular has so few guns, getting in close might not be wise. Stick to hugging islands and shooting battleships, and keep in mind that if you wait 5 more seconds after you've reloaded, you will fade into stealth and make ADD BB captains aim somewhere else.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

UNCUT is full.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
First game in Aoba.

Ship is good..................teammates.......not so much

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So I found WARBEASTY, thankfully on the enemy team. He was in a Yamato, and while I don't know what all he was doing, I noticed him when he was at the back of the pack, nearly as far away as humanly possible from the rest of his team, fulfilling the grand traditions of lovely battleship players. Amazingly the two brain cells of his managed to hit each other and he headed toward one of our bases, but I intercepted him around an island and slammed 5 torps into him and 2 dozen gunshots and he went down, which also won the game at that point.

Also found the world's worst clemson player. I beat the guy in a gun duel using a loving Mutsuki. I didn't get a detonation or anything on him, I just got into a gunnery brawl and won.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Rorac posted:

So I found WARBEASTY, thankfully on the enemy team. He was in a Yamato, and while I don't know what all he was doing, I noticed him when he was at the back of the pack, nearly as far away as humanly possible from the rest of his team, fulfilling the grand traditions of lovely battleship players. Amazingly the two brain cells of his managed to hit each other and he headed toward one of our bases, but I intercepted him around an island and slammed 5 torps into him and 2 dozen gunshots and he went down, which also won the game at that point.

Also found the world's worst clemson player. I beat the guy in a gun duel using a loving Mutsuki. I didn't get a detonation or anything on him, I just got into a gunnery brawl and won.

Wow i've never seen BEASTY in anything but a carrier.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder if WARBEASTY is a meta troll whatever and hes playing 10th dimensional chess and we just dont understand the level he is playing at.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MikeC posted:

The +xp bonus is really poor, it's 3% extra xp. As I stated above it's really easy to stack flags and cammo to get 250% xp bonus so 3% is not that good. I think that the 10% repair cost is the one that all clans should be getting first then filling out the lesser perks.

If i have got this completely wrong I'd like someone to let me know, as I already hosed up the cheaper ship prices not realising you also sold at the lower price :(

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Burt posted:

If i have got this completely wrong I'd like someone to let me know, as I already hosed up the cheaper ship prices not realising you also sold at the lower price :(

Burrrrttt!! :argh:

It's actually really silly of Wargaming to have it affect sale prices as well. Repair cost reduction is probably the most useful right now outside of membership count increase.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Does anyone run the big guns on the Conqueror, or is the reduction in fires by having 4 less guns too much to lose?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

What do you have to do to carry these weekend games? :psyduck:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

Wow i've never seen BEASTY in anything but a carrier.

Easiest 90k damage I have ever done.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

MikeC posted:

First game in Aoba.

Ship is good..................teammates.......not so much

How the hell do you get 7000 xp for a loss?

I just started playing a few days ago and I've just been doing pve to get the hang of the ships... looks like I should swap to random battles if they give 5x as much xp as pve...

So far, I got the South Carolina, Wyoming, Wickes, and all the tier2 stuff.

e. Is there a way to make the turrets and torp launchers on the other side of my ship keep facing outwards? Or is that a bot exclusive perk?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Ambaire posted:

e. Is there a way to make the turrets and torp launchers on the other side of my ship keep facing outwards? Or is that a bot exclusive perk?

You can hold down the right mouse button to lock turrets and launchers in whatever position you were pointing at. As far as I know there is no way to do this for separate turrets though. It's less of an issue at higher tiers where guns tend to be arranged in turrets that can point in any direction rather than the broadside guns at low tiers.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Burt posted:

Does anyone run the big guns on the Conqueror, or is the reduction in fires by having 4 less guns too much to lose?

I think the big guns are much worse from what I've watched read. In fact to such an extent that all the Conq might need nerf-wise is being forced to use the 457's along with IMO a general BB concealment nerf.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
That's with no flags, just today's bonus cash thing is really making it rain money...

I would say I kind of want to switch out AA range for accuracy. I love my Amagi's laser guns, and the Kii is good enough, but I wonder how much better it would feel with the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bloom posted:

You can hold down the right mouse button to lock turrets and launchers in whatever position you were pointing at. As far as I know there is no way to do this for separate turrets though. It's less of an issue at higher tiers where guns tend to be arranged in turrets that can point in any direction rather than the broadside guns at low tiers.

Press ctrl-x to lock turrets in a specific orientation relative to your ship. Remember to press ctrl-x again though to unlock them when you want to aim, or you will look very silly when you try to shoot someone and your turrets are pointing god knows where.