Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WindyMan posted:

Pocono.

Two Hundred and Forty Miles Per Hour!

fuckin' a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Watching Road America '94 and some of these teams were run on a shoestring. Ross Bentley had to forfeit despite qualifying because of a cracked bellhousing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Good race btw

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Croc posted:

Palmer takes time to adjust to cars he will be lower end of the field but maybe over time build up to be nearer the front.

I would be shocked if he came in and was straight away near the front of the field its just not his mo.

Yeah, it's his biggest weakness. If we still had 35 entrants in F1 he could have hung out with a Zakspeed or Onyx for 4 years and got good, like Mansell did. But in modern F1 you don't get that sort of leeway.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Taking a while to adjust to cars is a huge con for a grand prix driver given its essentially a new car from season to season or even when major new midseason parts come out.

A spec series like IndyCar or Super Formula might very well be more up his alley.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DanSanfy13/status/915360325368778752

(Kudos WindyMan)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Surprising nobody, Helio is Indy only next year.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/10/10-04-Helio-Announcement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
0 championships. Lol.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/stef_wilson/status/915578907952214021

Good to see it confirmed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ESPN will air F1 in 2018 and will run a Monaco/Indy 500 doubleheader, with Monaco airing live on ESPN and re-airing on ABC immediately following the 500:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/20912083/espn-secures-us-formula-one-rights-2018

Maybe ESPN/ABC are going to keep Indy after all?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The IndyCar ABC contract expires after the 2018 season.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

CBJSprague24 posted:

ESPN will air F1 in 2018 and will run a Monaco/Indy 500 doubleheader, with Monaco airing live on ESPN and re-airing on ABC immediately following the 500:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/20912083/espn-secures-us-formula-one-rights-2018

Maybe ESPN/ABC are going to keep Indy after all?

This is literally the most unexpected news I can remember :allbuttons:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I have to assume Liberty Media came at NBC wanting a hell of a lot more than $3m for the broadcast rights renewal, and they balked. I wonder how this may affect Indycar promotion.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I wonder how this may affect Indycar promotion.

What IndyCar promotion :iiam:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Bentai”" post="“477052151”"]
I have to assume Liberty Media came at NBC wanting a hell of a lot more than $3m for the broadcast rights renewal, and they balked. I wonder how this may affect Indycar promotion.
[/quote]

Liberty wants to start an F1 streaming service. NBC said in their statement that they walked away because they don't want to compete with the rights holder.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah but didn’t one of the articles say that ESPN isn’t paying a rights fee? Was NBC the only network willing to pay for F1?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NBC also probably wanted exclusive streaming access in the US.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

gret posted:

Yeah but didn’t one of the articles say that ESPN isn’t paying a rights fee? Was NBC the only network willing to pay for F1?

ESPN is reportedly going bare-bones with F1 coverage and using the F1 feed's commentators and pit reporters. I would assume that any self-produced F1 broadcast would need to pay extra fees to F1, and it would make sense if NBC didn't want to go that route on top of having to compete with F1's impending digital offering.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Liberty probably also sees the value of paying to put it in the ESPN family vs get paid small change (for them) to be on NBCSN. And I'm guessing the streaming was a hard stop too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Hopefully that means Diffey will be the full voice of the series on NBC now. And considering how much fun he has watching Indycars, I'd be totally OK with a few Matchett appearances.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just noticed this in the Racer article - Penske's also confirmed that JPM will not have an Indy-only ride, he's going to be sports cars only from now on.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Hopefully that means Diffey will be the full voice of the series on NBC now. And considering how much fun he has watching Indycars, I'd be totally OK with a few Matchett appearances.

Diffey said on Twitter he's staying at NBC and will be primarily IndyCar, Rugby, and Olympics, with occasional NASCAR.

e- https://twitter.com/leighdiffey/status/915661613935599616

There you go.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 5, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just noticed this in the Racer article - Penske's also confirmed that JPM will not have an Indy-only ride, he's going to be sports cars only from now on.
Booooooooo. Goddammit. :(

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Diffey said on Twitter he's staying at NBC and will be primarily IndyCar, Rugby, and Olympics, with occasional NASCAR.

e- https://twitter.com/leighdiffey/status/915661613935599616

There you go.

:hfive:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ban Roger Penske, IMO.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No more JPM? :smith:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

iospace posted:

No more JPM? :smith:

The article I saw on Motorsport.com said he was free to find another ride if he wanted, and I can't imagine it being hard for him to find a ride if he wanted.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The flip side is whether there's a ride available that he would want. Maybe if Chip or Michael happen to have a car handy, but it's not like JPM is going to have spare time to chase down his own sponsor money to fund the ride. He's also not likely to take a bottom-tier car. I'd expect him to not race instead of racing for 25th place.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
AND FROM NOWHERE:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2017/10/05/andretti-united-autosports-complete-walkinshaw-buy/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

One day Zak Brown will own all of racing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

The flip side is whether there's a ride available that he would want. Maybe if Chip or Michael happen to have a car handy, but it's not like JPM is going to have spare time to chase down his own sponsor money to fund the ride. He's also not likely to take a bottom-tier car. I'd expect him to not race instead of racing for 25th place.

Chip is the most likely 500 ride for JPM given not only the history, but with Ganassi shrinking down to 2 cars they would have the capacity for a temporary expansion in May.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
[quote="“wicka”" post="“477074518”"]
One day Zak Brown will own all of racing.
[/quote]

How loving rich is this guy holy poo poo. I'm just glad he seems like a... pretty decent guy who is very personable and seemingly affable

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

How loving rich is this guy holy poo poo. I'm just glad he seems like a... pretty decent guy who is very personable and seemingly affable

I don't think he's particularly loaded, he just has that same weird touch as Michael that allows them to effortlessly convince random companies to pour millions into motor racing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

That's good news for HSV, they've been godawful this year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

TK to the 14.

https://twitter.com/TonyKanaan/status/915957253223731206

I feel like this is like when Ricky Rudd went to the Wood Brothers or Bobby Labonte went to Petty: the driver will either make the team better or not be able to overcome its shortcomings.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I feel like this is like when Ricky Rudd went to the Wood Brothers or Bobby Labonte went to Petty: the driver will either make the team better or not be able to overcome its shortcomings.

I'll cautiously bet on the former, since Conor was getting some respectable showings out of that car by year's end.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/DannyBrennan72/status/915956986679787520

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

If you paid attention to the timing of the announcement this morning at the Foyt Wine Vault, you would have seen that it was slated to start at 11:10 am ET. The driver announcement has key ties to the numbers in that time sequence.

Holy :aaaaa:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wait, what am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Wait, what am I missing here?

TK's two best rides in ICS - the 11 car and the 10 car.

I also forgot that he had the 11 for a good chunk of his time with KV racing, mentally I had him in just the 82 there.

• Locked thread