Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"You can't make a computer program that does what moboards do. It's just too complex." - something my OCS moboards instructor literally said to my class.

That was the day I learned that the Navy does not send its best and brightest officers to teach OCS.

Probably not with what Lockheed or GD would bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

Such as?

ARPA has its limitations (If either the target or ownship turns or change speed, for example), but I've never seen it to have wild changes due to radar return issues. And I can't recall the last time I was on a ship whose magnetrons weren't hissing.

Beside you should be trying for a CPA that's wide enough that radar inaccuracies shouldn't put you at risk. It's been my experience that ARPA's limitations are far, far outweighed by the reductions in workload.

I've seen a console suddenly show a contact changing course by over 180 degrees for a few seconds before returning to something like the original calculated course.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've seen a console suddenly show a contact changing course by over 180 degrees for a few seconds before returning to something like the original calculated course.

Aircraft radars do this too.

You practice, over and over, learning what normal looks like and when you need to reject bad info. You also eventually develop a sense of when you need to do something else because your information is suspect. Like look outside.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If losing a plot in such a radical fashion for a few second poses a risk to your collision avoidance, you should already have the GA going and the watertight doors closing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

If losing a plot in such a radical fashion for a few second poses a risk to your collision avoidance, you should already have the GA going and the watertight doors closing.

I always do. gently caress trusting my safety to you lot

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I always do. gently caress trusting my safety to you lot

Shut the gently caress up and push.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

It's an irritation and if you have a paper plot it's easy to just put in the position and confirm that it matches the expected course and speed rather than wait for the machine to unfuck itself and update.

Geizkragen posted:

Aircraft radars do this too.

You practice, over and over, learning what normal looks like and when you need to reject bad info. You also eventually develop a sense of when you need to do something else because your information is suspect. Like look outside.

Or look at your paper plot.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's an irritation and if you have a paper plot it's easy to just put in the position and confirm that it matches the expected course and speed rather than wait for the machine to unfuck itself and update.

I've never had it happen to me to the point where it was an irritant - and I'm easily irritable. I remain firmly of the opinion that the guy doing the paper plot would be way more useful as an extra lookout or radar observer.

Especially nowadays, where pretty much all decent navigation radars have AIS overlay, "the ARPA's unreliable!" is a poor argument. AIS is unreliable in a way (you're relying on the other guy having his poo poo set up properly), ARPA is unreliable in another (changes in motion, radar artefacts), but if you have both on the same screen and the vectors overlay within a reasonable margin, you'll see right away if one of them is making GBS threads the bed.

Add trails to the mix and you've got an extra layer of protection.

The biggest bridge watch team I ever had as OOW / conn officer was like three people. An AB watching the S-band / autopilot, a cadet as a lookout / paper position plot (This was before the ECDIS days), and myself on the X-band / electronic chart. If I'd had additional people handy, I would have put them up as lookout, unless we had to go on hand steering. There's no replacement for a guy going "Hey there's a fishing boat over there!", because drat if that hasn't saved my career (And probably a couple of guy's life) a few times. I would have had to have a lot of qualified people* on hand before I put one on a paper plot, especially in crowded waters.

*and chart table real-estate

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 29, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

I still can't believe you recognized me in MEPS.

My RDC was in goonfleet, He had an Eve screenshot background on his computer and I called him on it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

My RDC was in goonfleet, He had an Eve screenshot background on his computer and I called him on it.

Lmao I bet you got PTed for that

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

I disagree.

CPA moboards are essential but the caveat is that you need competent officers on the bridge that know how to do them quickly and accurately. They can be a distraction if the OOD isn't delegating it to the JOOD or another officer (not the CONN). Properly done moboards can cut through the extra noise that you get on various radar returns and inaccurate auto tracks on radar. Combat should also be doing moboards to back up the bridge.

At the end of the it's a combination of all resources to make good safe decisions. Moboards are definitely one of them.

Again, this works if it's you and one or two other contacts. More then that and I promise you that the bridge team is not paying attention to something more pressing. Besides, if your radar is that noisy and cluttered I would imagine that the radar data you're using to build your moboard isn't that reliable.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I've seen more Admirals this week than I've ever seen before. Apparently folks are real interested in keeping 7th fleet from playing bumper boats with their ships.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The SWO community's obsession with moboards is a result of the Navy not investing in modern ARPA for all of its ships until recently which created countless generations of senior officers who grew up with nothing but grease pencils and popsicle sticks with. Those officers have trained and bred further generations of officers who have no idea how radar actually works, let alone how to properly tune it out set it up. CPA Moboards are basically cargo cult level at this point. Just learn how to properly set up and use your radars.

(Moboards are not entirely worthless. Stationing/intercept boards are still pretty useful and wind boards have their uses.)

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 29, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I've seen more Admirals this week than I've ever seen before. Apparently folks are real interested in keeping 7th fleet from playing bumper boats with their ships.

Eh. I think most of them are more interested in keeping out of the news, and actual safety is just a side effect.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ManMythLegend posted:

The SWO community's obsession with moboards is a result of the Navy not investing in modern ARPA for all of its ships until recently which created countless generations of senior officers who grew up with nothing but grease pencils and popsicle sticks with. Those officers have trained and bred further generations of officers who have no idea how radar actually works, let alone how to properly tune it out set it up. CPA Moboards are basically cargo cult level at this point. Just learn how to properly set up and use your radars.

(Moboards are not entirely worthless. Stationing/intercept boards are still pretty useful and wind boards have their uses.)

What happens to ARPA when you're in an environment where you're trying not to radiate?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Phanatic posted:

What happens to ARPA when you're in an environment where you're trying not to radiate?

Irrelevant to the discussion because you can't do a CPA moboard without bearing and range data from a radar.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

If you're not radiating and you blunder into another ship, welp, you should have been radiating.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

M_Gargantua posted:

I forget how it came out, but in boot camp someone found out I played world of warcraft. One night after lights out my company commander (like an RDC) yells "HAM! GET IN HERE" I loving poo poo and run in there. He turns his laptop around and shows me his WoW character and literally says "Ok how do I spec this guy. Also you can't tell anyone about this."

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 29, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elendil004 posted:

I forget how it came out, but in boot camp someone found out I played world of warcraft. One night after lights out my company commander (like an RDC) yells "HAM! GET IN HERE" I loving poo poo and run in there. He turns his laptop around and shows me his WoW character and literally says "Ok how do I spec this guy. Also you can't tell anyone about this."

Did you gently caress up his spec? Not like he can tell anyone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Something similar happened to my friend who was really into D&D.

One of the RDCs called him into the office to show the new cool book that had come out, still in shrink wrap.

"This just came out, you want to take a look at it?"

And then the guillotine dropped and he got to do push-ups for an hour, looking at the front cover of the book.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LingcodKilla posted:

Did you gently caress up his spec? Not like he can tell anyone.

No he was a nice guy, I got along, respectfully with all my CC's and even hung out a few months later for some beers since I was back on the base for something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Something similar happened to my friend who was really into D&D.

One of the RDCs called him into the office to show the new cool book that had come out, still in shrink wrap.

"This just came out, you want to take a look at it?"

And then the guillotine dropped and he got to do push-ups for an hour, looking at the front cover of the book.

lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Phanatic posted:

How do submarines not hit anything when the other ships are completely ignorant of their location 10ft below the waves?

same question, similar answer.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

How do submarines not hit anything when the other ships are completely ignorant of their location 10ft below the waves?

same question, similar answer.

Seriously this entire conversation is like something out of the Twilight Zone for me. I have never actually seen a moboard used outside of Naval Science courses in ROTC. I haven't seen the physical sheets of paper that are used to do moboards onboard a submarine since roughly 2006, and even then they weren't actually used, they were just an interesting relic in an equipment locker next to the teletype paper and the other useless supplies that we never used but still carried because they hadn't ever been rev'd out of the pre-underways. When I asked about moboards out of curiosity on my last submarine, I was told you can't order them from the supply system anymore (a statement which based on this conversation appears to be of dubious truthfulness but seemed plausible enough at the time).

I legitimately can't think of a use for a moboard in a contact management setting. Sensors provide raw data to a centralized contact management system. An operator filters out bad data. The centralized system provides contact information (in intuitive, graphical form) to the OOD, the contact manager, the captain, whoever needs it. It does this for every contact simultaneously and it does it all in much less time than it would take an operator to dick around with a pen and paper in a darkened control room to get CPA information on a single contact.

Am I just missing something? Or has the surface fleet not yet caught up to advanced concepts like "filter out bad data" and "computers can work faster than humans"?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I mean it's important that nav types know how to do moboards and understand the concepts, which in turn helps with understanding motion, relative motion, target angle, etc. I'd never want to use one over a computer though for like no poo poo navigation.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Cerekk posted:

Seriously this entire conversation is like something out of the Twilight Zone for me. I have never actually seen a moboard used outside of Naval Science courses in ROTC. I haven't seen the physical sheets of paper that are used to do moboards onboard a submarine since roughly 2006, and even then they weren't actually used, they were just an interesting relic in an equipment locker next to the teletype paper and the other useless supplies that we never used but still carried because they hadn't ever been rev'd out of the pre-underways. When I asked about moboards out of curiosity on my last submarine, I was told you can't order them from the supply system anymore (a statement which based on this conversation appears to be of dubious truthfulness but seemed plausible enough at the time).

I legitimately can't think of a use for a moboard in a contact management setting. Sensors provide raw data to a centralized contact management system. An operator filters out bad data. The centralized system provides contact information (in intuitive, graphical form) to the OOD, the contact manager, the captain, whoever needs it. It does this for every contact simultaneously and it does it all in much less time than it would take an operator to dick around with a pen and paper in a darkened control room to get CPA information on a single contact.

Am I just missing something? Or has the surface fleet not yet caught up to advanced concepts like "filter out bad data" and "computers can work faster than humans"?

I feel the same way reading this thread, it feels like I'm missing something. Then again, we both came from the same source rating, which is pretty much all contact management and training others about contact management.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my unit used some other command's MAP spots and promoted to third a kid who took two tries to pass his last PRT. Semper fortis.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

my unit used some other command's MAP spots and promoted to third a kid who took two tries to pass his last PRT. Semper fortis.

:sad:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

We're not the Coast Guard, :chiefsay: Shipmate :chiefsay:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So the CG has standards is what you're saying?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Cerekk posted:

No, the surface Navy has all of that. It might not all be synthesized in one spot depending on platform but we have. It's just that everyone either doesn't trust them at all, or trusts them way too much because in general we are a very dumb community.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

FrozenVent posted:

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

If you're not radiating and you blunder into another ship, welp, you should have been radiating.

Another case where your civilian experience doesn't really apply to the military.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

vulturesrow posted:

Another case where your civilian experience doesn't really apply to the military.

Why is this?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because if you're a USN ship and you're radiating, you are being tracked.

Edit: And not in a friendly "Just keeping an eye on everything to make sure it's all safe" kind of way. In a "let's absorb every electron that comes off that boat for analysis, and also measure how fast it can turn, slow down, accelerate, and maybe even see what their shift schedule is, and maintain as much information for targeting as we can until they stop broadcasting their location" kind of way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

While I understand your concern, we're talking about navigation radars here. I don't think the US Navy uses anything fancy for that; I think Furunos were mentioned up thread.

If you're in a situation where you don't want to be tracked then yes, by all mean turn off the radar and the AIS. Doing that in the strait of Malacca is ill advised.

Military planes landing at civilian airports turn on their transponders don't they? The area where the McCain and Alnic collided is the maritime equivalent of the airspace around O'Hare.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 1, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

While I understand your concern, we're talking about navigation radars here. I don't think the US Navy uses anything fancy for that; I think Furunos were mentioned up thread.

If you're in a situation where you don't want to be tracked then yes, by all mean turn off the radar and the AIS. Doing that in the strait of Malacca is ill advised.

Military planes landing at civilian airports turn on their transponders don't they? The area where the McCain and Alnic collided is the maritime equivalent of the airspace around O'Hare.

Military aircraft that are on operational missions are subject to different rules. And they're generally not landing at civilian airfields.

I'm also not saying they should never flip the switch to "on." I'm saying that they have different rules, and for good reason.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'm not disagreeing with that.

What I'm saying is that going by international rule, if you're involved in a collision and your radar was off, you broke the rules.

Of course at that point you probably have a bigger problem than admiralty court but :shobon:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was on the McCain a decade ago and I'm pretty sure they had a Furuno for the exact reasons described. If a foreign power wants to do electromagnetic analysis on a piece of commercial equipment, they could just order one from a catalog.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was on the McCain a decade ago and I'm pretty sure they had a Furuno for the exact reasons described. If a foreign power wants to do electromagnetic analysis on a piece of commercial equipment, they could just order one from a catalog.

Furono's are standard nav gear, at least on all the ship's I've been on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Furono's are standard nav gear, at least on all the ship's I've been on.

Funny, most of the ships I've been on had Sperry radars... including the ones built in Japan.