Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Platystemon posted:

Eros’ acceleration isn’t possible according to humanity’s understanding of physics.

Why shouldn’t Miller be brought along for the ride? That doesn’t make it any more impossible than it already is.

It's the difference between "the protomolecule built a drive somehow" and "apparently magic exists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Toast Museum posted:

It's the difference between "the protomolecule built a drive somehow" and "apparently magic exists."

The drive just works beyond our level of physics. Don't remember if they mention it during the chase, but in the books they make a point that Eros starts emitting radiation after it moves and one of the characters is like "well at least entropy is still real..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

All the human-built structures on Eros and the very rock itself would crumble under the forces involved.

Earthquakes devastate large portions of Earth’s surface and that’s child’s play.

Either the protomolecule can apply force to individual atoms or it skips Newton’s second law and manipulates velocity directly.

It’s magic, and that’s okay.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The drive just works beyond our level of physics. Don't remember if they mention it during the chase, but in the books they make a point that Eros starts emitting radiation after it moves and one of the characters is like "well at least entropy is still real..."

Yeah, Naomi is quick to point out that it's not quite magic. What I meant is that in terms of their initial reaction and understanding, it might as well have been.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PriorMarcus posted:

Much like many other things in the show if you haven't read the books this information isn't portrayed well at all.

what else would you say is badly conveyed?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 29, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Milky Moor posted:

There's a Warhammer 40k short story that actually talks about that last part.

Yea i have the 3rd edition compendium around here somewhere. That chestnut is always brought up when people talk about "realistic" space warefare, but they never get into the logistics of actually getting space rocks. Yes they're free, but you have to go get them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
when you spend a trillion dollars to harvest a free rock, it's a trillion dollar rock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rocksicles posted:

when you spend a trillion dollars to harvest a free rock, it's a trillion dollar rock.

The corporation that built the infrastructure declares bankruptcy.

Another corporation buys their assets at rock bottom prices and is profitable.

It worked for Iridium.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Space capitalism at it's finest

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

All the human-built structures on Eros and the very rock itself would crumble under the forces involved.

Earthquakes devastate large portions of Earth’s surface and that’s child’s play.

Either the protomolecule can apply force to individual atoms or it skips Newton’s second law and manipulates velocity directly.

It could possibly have something to do with the higgs field. :iiam:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Instead of moving the rock it moves the rest of the universe around the rock :smug:

There is no physical difference between doing the one thing and doing the other.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toast Museum posted:

oh boy are you going to hate seasons 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Phi230 posted:

watches hard science slip through fingers like sand

Noooooooo my Newtonian physics!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thing is doing something with physics that humans haven't figured out yet.

Not that far-fetched, given that the standard model is still just the best estimate, and quantum physics are still kind of magic.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phi230 posted:

Nah, I wasn't saying I was bothered by any of what happened. The stuff that will probably annoy me later is unrelated to physics.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Pander posted:

watches hard science slip through fingers like sand

Noooooooo my Newtonian physics!

Humans with "realistic" ships encountering magic aliens is like the most common hard sf story going back to 2001.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not that far-fetched, given that the standard model is still just the best estimate, and quantum physics are still kind of magic.

One of the other things that annoy me about a lot of Hard Sci-fi Nerds is they act like the rules of physics that were written nearly 400 years ago are the alpha and omega of science. Yea we figured out everything already, time to close up shop!

I think the aspect of Humans coming into contact with things that they cannot explain with their knowlage of science is pretty interesting, becuase we do tend to have a lot of scientific hubris.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Zartosht posted:

Humans with "realistic" ships encountering magic aliens is like the most common hard sf story going back to 2001.

Yes. This is pretty central to a ridiculous volume of respected SF authorship. Arthur Clarke, Carl Sagan, and Stanislaw Lem all have stories built around advanced alien intelligence that are borderline magical. I fail to see how that's a criticism.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How is that famous quote? About how technology advanced enough is indistinguishable from magic or something like that

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's third law

I never really have a problem with the hyper-advanced aliens doing borderline magic, of course they can break physics they've been working on it a few tens of thousands of years longer than we have. We've got plenty of stuff today that would look like bullshit impossible magic to a Bronze Age farmer. Hell, we've got stuff that would look like bullshit impossible magic to someone from a century ago, much less millenia. Why wouldn't aliens or far-future societies have stuff that looks like bullshit impossible magic to us?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 29, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

For as much as it does violate our known laws of physics, the PM does appear to have a set of rules that it follows, and I think that's the key.

You can break all the rules you want in your story (isn't that why you're writing sci-fi?) but you gotta be consistent about it or it just falls apart for the reader.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Expanse isn't exactly "hard" scifi it's just really internally consistent with how its universe's physics and technology works unlike 99% of space shows.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

sebmojo posted:

what else would you say is badly conveyed?

Basically anything that relies on exterior space shots to convey an idea. The flip and burn in the first episode. The Roci in the agriculture dome.

The battle at Spin Station was fine, but that's because it's close quarters slower combat suited the style they choose for their space photography. But literally nothing else for a it.

Outside of that I don't think they conveyed the scope and importance of Ganymede very well and the revelation that the proto molecule was extra solar was kind of underwhelming. They should've saved it for Dresden to say in person or have had a stronger reaction from the characters watching the video because, as it is, it's almost off hand and a few first time viewers missed it from my experience.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Expanse isn't exactly "hard" scifi it's just really internally consistent with how its universe's physics and technology works unlike 99% of space shows.

That's hard enough for this show to gently caress my brain

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Combat Pretzel posted:

twistedmentat posted:

One of the other things that annoy me about a lot of Hard Sci-fi Nerds is they act like the rules of physics that were written nearly 400 years ago are the alpha and omega of science. Yea we figured out everything already, time to close up shop!

I think the aspect of Humans coming into contact with things that they cannot explain with their knowlage of science is pretty interesting, becuase we do tend to have a lot of scientific hubris.

lol

Platystemon posted:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The asteroid colonies in the expanse couldn't exist in real life, even a slight spin would result in those balls of gravels and rock breaking apart. Asteroids are not thought to be very structurally sound and would make extremely poor space-homes let alone vessels, with humans technology anyways, with magic alien technology who knows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Baronjutter posted:

The asteroid colonies in the expanse couldn't exist in real life, even a slight spin would result in those balls of gravels and rock breaking apart. Asteroids are not thought to be very structurally sound and would make extremely poor space-homes let alone vessels, with humans technology anyways, with magic alien technology who knows.
IIRC the books go into this, explaining that the asteroids got reinforced structurally, with load bearing struts and poo poo like that. Whether that's realistic, given the forces, I don't know, but at least they made an effort story-wise in the books.

If you can manipulate gravity, you can probably move huge things, while not disturbing its local frame of reference in that regard.

You really going to pretend that the current set of physical laws humans figured out are 100% true and set in stone? Not saying that there's going to be a world shifting breakthrough any time soon, but that's the premise the protomolecule stuff runs on, that they've figured out the universe more than us.

I mean, there's currently a set of rules we've cobbled together that'll fit most observations, but in the bigger scheme, the pocket protectors are still scratching their heads. They still don't know how electroweak and strong forces work, same goes to gravity, with all the dark energy bullshit. But hey, lol.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 30, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just to tick on an earlier point that was made with some book 2 spoilers about PM-tech: Yes, Virginia, the PM can manipulate inertia at the atomic level. It can do Eros because it literally grabs every atom at once and moves them en masse, rather than applying force to the structure. Presumably it took Miller with it because it didn't want to pulp its own biomass and just took him for the ride.

Combat Pretzel posted:

IIRC the books go into this, explaining that the asteroids got reinforced structurally, with load bearing struts and poo poo like that. Whether that's realistic, given the forces, I don't know, but at least they made an effort story-wise in the books.

If you can manipulate gravity, you can probably move huge things, while not disturbing its local frame of reference in that regard.

You really going to pretend that the current set of physical laws humans figured out are 100% true and set in stone? Not saying that there's going to be a world shifting breakthrough any time soon, but that's the premise the protomolecule stuff runs on, that they've figured out the universe more than us.

I mean, there's currently a set of rules we've cobbled together that'll fit most observations, but in the bigger scheme, the pocket protectors are still scratching their heads. They still don't know how electroweak and strong forces work, same goes to gravity, with all the dark energy bullshit. But hey, lol.

I've seen rumblings recently that gravity isn't :airquote: real :airquote:, but just the macro-version of the weak force?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

The exterior of the asteroids, according to the book, have also been super heated and melted into solid slag to reinforce the exterior.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Bubbles.

https://twitter.com/spoilertv/status/924033753860550656

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

peaches?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is she going to play Clarissa?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Is she going to play ClarissaPeaches?

seems that way.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
If that's Peaches then, well, I'm surprised.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pander posted:

peaches?

Yeah, that. Probably.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Kind of surprised they didn't use the Julie Mao actor and claim they were twins, since in the book it is said they looked really similar anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

Kind of surprised they didn't use the Julie Mao actor and claim they were twins, since in the book it is said they looked really similar anyway.

This is what I thought they would do as well. Kind of happy they aren't as I think it would've come across a bit cheap.

I think Peaches will come across a lot better when were not spending time in her head.

Hopefully they sort out their timeline issue though and do a time jump so her resentment makes sense.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

She will probably get a similar treatment to Avasarala/Bobby in that we'll see more of her backstory while the main plot progresses.
Will there be a new thread for the next season?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Yeah, that. Probably.

I mean if you click through for the description it's (this doesn't actual spoil much but black-barring just in case) "She will play a lowly electrochemical tech on a ship that is fierce, intelligent, and driven, but driven by a hidden agenda and a dark secret." So yeah, that's Peaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I loving hated the peaches redemption arc. Filip also. gently caress that noise

• Locked thread