Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Divergent? Was that a lovely book to movie series?

Jurassic Park?

Fifty shades?

Lord of the muthaducking rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

syscall girl posted:

So did Twilight! (I think?)

And Hunger Games.

Come to think of it these are all YA books that got made into successful series.

I think what you're seeing here is that YA books and the type movies that bring people to the cinema in droves compliment each other very well

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For whatever its worth, I seem to recall in the old IT "movie", or miniseries whatever, the guy who was the author, mentioned something about movie companies butchering his books in to movies. Stand By Me was good, Shawshank redemption was good, Apt pupil not so good......

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stephen King's reaction to the ending of 'The Mist' movie was basically 'drat, wish I'd thought of that', iirc.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Stephen King's reaction to the ending of 'The Mist' movie was basically 'drat, wish I'd thought of that', iirc.

The end to the novella was good though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

facebook jihad posted:

The end to the novella was good though

They're both good. If you think the movie is too grimdark, read the novella. It leaves you with a little cold comfort, like the end of Salem's Lot.

e: actually come to think of it the novella is worse because the army does not show up and fix everything at the end :thunk:

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Hemmingford Hope. Which means that they are gonna meet that magic black lady and she will help em out.

Edit

I travel alot and king makes the best airport reading. I have read EVERY Stephen King book except Dark Tower series.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

rjderouin posted:

Hemmingford Hope. Which means that they are gonna meet that magic black lady and she will help em out.

Edit

I travel alot and king makes the best airport reading. I have read EVERY Stephen King book except Dark Tower series.

The only big King novel I haven't gotten to yet is The Stand.

For all the poo poo DT gets (deservedly to some extent) about the ending, the series is definitely worth reading at least once. Even Song of Susannah. Even the part with harry potter references and lightsabers. It could have been much better but it's still among the best he's written.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I have read all the tie in poo poo for Dark Tower just never gotten around to it. I am at the point now that I reread old king stories I like ( mostly short stores ) and never get around to the Dark Tower series.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Does Insomnia hold up? I liked it back in 6th grade

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Does Insomnia hold up? I liked it back in 6th grade

I think the prevailing goon opinion is that it sucks but i still like it.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Where i come from that's a wall lobster. Good eatin on the big uns

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I have binge eating disorder. I manage it by diet, exercise, medication, and therapy. I'm not morbidly obese but I'm definitely on the heavier side. Sometimes I feel like people don't take my disorder seriously, like it's not a "real" eating disorder because the threat of death isn't immediately imminent to the naked eye, and it really loving hurts. I have people constantly waving food in my face and telling me to "lighten up" or "chill out, live a little" but what they don't realize is that if I step outside the bounds of my diet, I will steal an entire tray of cookies and eat it until I barf. Honestly... I feel like a monster.

Maybe it'd help if you talked about it more like an addiction? That seems to fit the definition pretty well.

Skipping: several paragraphs of "I am a racist and that's about it" because I'm fasting today and have had no caffeine and can't deal with that

quote:

So, I am pretty sure I am an alcoholic. I have been able to quit drinking, and such, but I sooner or later have a relapse.

Now, because this may seem stupid, I'm getting a job at a local brewery.

The thing is, I think I drink alot because I hate my current job so much. Also, you know the saying never see how sausage is made? I think that might be it. Seeing and having to work with beer all the time might make me not want to drink it so much.

I'm just being stupid and trying to justify my drinking problem aren't I?

I mean, maybe that'd work if you never talked to anyone, but you're probably setting yourself up to be part of a big casual-drinking culture. You're probably used to people talking about drinking a lot by now though, I guess? If you can handle that I guess maybe give it a shot v:v:v

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The sausage thing works because seeing what goes into sausage is pretty gross. There's nothing particularly gross about water, hops, and barley.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Potential alcoholic: if you are worried about your drinking, working at a brewery in itself is not going to stop you from drinking. If anything it most likely will introduce you to a heavier drinking culture and make you drink more since your professional life will now be surrounded by it, though your mileage may vary. Who knows? People work in mysterious ways. But your post has that grass is greener, 'oh once this happens everything will be better and I won't drink as much' feel to it that is almost always a false hope

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also this might be a regional thing but I've had friends that worked for a number different breweries and unless your bosses are total corporate dicks you're looking at "basically unlimited free beer" so ask yourself if that's a safe spot.

They all took a very "zero tolerance" policy to drinking on the job though so there's that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of my biddy's used to work for 3 Floyd's and we got to be some of the first people to try the Moloko Milk Stout before they were settled on the name. They also would make small experimental batches and he would bring them to get our opinions on it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hot take: The Richard Bachman stuff is better than most mainline King stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm always reminded of how the engineering deck of the Enterprise in the 2009 Star Trek movie was a brewery.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They are all pretty good (yes, even The Regulators even though book barn goons love to hate it). I just have a soft spot for the dark tower. Non-anonymous confession: I just got up to 20 rereads through the whole thing last week. I still find things I either forgot or glossed over that make me like it more.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jurassic Park?
The first Jurassic Park was an adaptation of the book, but Lost World had so little to do with the book that you can't really call it an adaptation.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the ending of the Dark Tower was great, I guess I'm alone in that. I hadn't been spoilered so it blew me away.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Spinster posted:

I thought the ending of the Dark Tower was great, I guess I'm alone in that. I hadn't been spoilered so it blew me away.

The actual final ending after the stupid bit where he warns you not to continue I also think is great. The problem is that he put that warning in at all. It just reeked of lack of confidence and was trying to satisfy everyone. Just own it, it's a good ending and it's what Roland deserved.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my biddy's used to work for 3 Floyd's and we got to be some of the first people to try the Moloko Milk Stout before they were settled on the name. They also would make small experimental batches and he would bring them to get our opinions on it.

I got a bottle of Dark Lord as a wedding present and have just about come to terms with the idea that I'll probably never taste it again

Still wanna try to make my way out to 3F next time I'm in Chicago

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Maybe it'd help if you talked about it more like an addiction? That seems to fit the definition pretty well.

https://youtu.be/I5e6ftNpGsU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

loquacius posted:

I got a bottle of Dark Lord as a wedding present and have just about come to terms with the idea that I'll probably never taste it again

Still wanna try to make my way out to 3F next time I'm in Chicago

You should let us know. The last Chicago goon meet was fun and an excuse to have another would be awesome.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I work at a brewery and I would say it hasn't had any effect on my alcohol consumption.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm upset I couldn't make it to the Chicago goon meet. It was like a 5 minute bus ride from my place. And then I sprained my ankle. Just not a good month for me.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Long Walk and The Running Man are great and some of King's best but the others are kind of clunkers

e: Rage is supposed to be pretty good but good luck finding it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Unknowable Hole posted:

I work at a brewery and I would say it hasn't had any effect on my alcohol consumption.

Are you capable of organising a piss-up there?

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

quote:

So, I am pretty sure I am an alcoholic. I have been able to quit drinking, and such, but I sooner or later have a relapse. 

The thing is, I think I drink alot because I hate my current job so much. Also, you know the saying never see how sausage is made? I think that might be it. Seeing and having to work with beer all the time might make me not want to drink it so much. 

Hi Peter Griffin!!!!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

ReverendDre posted:

quote:

Hi Peter Griffin!!!!

why is this loser not using the built in quote feature of the forums

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Putty posted:

I'm bad at things

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ReverendDre posted:

quote:

Hi Peter Griffin!!!!

And you didn't go for the more obvious Cookie Monster?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Putty posted:

He's drunk.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm upset I couldn't make it to the Chicago goon meet. It was like a 5 minute bus ride from my place. And then I sprained my ankle. Just not a good month for me.

I call it the Ann Effect.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spinster posted:

I call it the Ann Effect.

Her?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Coulter Effect for clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah, OK. I thought we were doing an Arrested Development bit there for a second, but then it turns out you're just teasing me for saying I would have sex with a literal skeleton monster just for bragging rights. I can accept that.