Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

nah I don't think that's 100% of it, it might be a big part for a lot of people but some (read: ex-military) really take patriotism seriously

"america, like it or leave it" would be a phrase they use

if you dedicate your whole life to serving the country and live for years in an environment that constantly salutes the flag and shows 24/7 respect to everything in the nation, then someone not also doing that is going to be "disrespectful". someone actively NOT liking america is going to seem like an infidel

this is nationalism which is nearly always also racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thanks for the sophomoric analysis.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

nah I don't think that's 100% of it, it might be a big part for a lot of people but some (read: ex-military) really take patriotism seriously

"america, like it or leave it" would be a phrase they use

if you dedicate your whole life to serving the country and live for years in an environment that constantly salutes the flag and shows 24/7 respect to everything in the nation, then someone not also doing that is going to be "disrespectful". someone actively NOT liking america is going to seem like an infidel

It's pretty inaccurate to say the people who are ultra patriotic about these symbols are all ex-military. Most people who join the military do it for the paycheck. The veterans I know all support the player's right to kneel in protest. The people who are super touchy about the anthem and the flag are more the type who also sport a confederate flag bumper sticker I'd wager.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It's pretty inaccurate to say the people who are ultra patriotic about these symbols are all ex-military. Most people who join the military do it for the paycheck. The veterans I know all support the player's right to kneel in protest. The people who are super touchy about the anthem and the flag are more the type who also sport a confederate flag bumper sticker I'd wager.

not all ex-military are nationalistic but many nationalistic people are also ex-military

the same kinds of people who film stolen valor videos

MY FRIENDS DIED IN THAT UNIFORM SERVING THIS COUNTRY

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is nationalism which is nearly always also racism
everything is racism

even racism

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i would even go as far to say, especially racism. bold move, i know.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

it's nationalism that they're angry about percieved disrespect to national symbols, but it's 100% racism, or at least ignorance of racism, to see people kneeling during the anthem in protest of black people being murdered by the police for no reason and think these protesters have gone too far

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

hackbunny posted:

Help me here: as a non-american I think I miss some bit of cultural context. I can understand being put off by real world issues intruding in the world of escapism, but some of the reactions are baffling to me. As stupid, egocentric and hyperbolic as it is, I even understand the fans who feel personally disrespected by the demonstration, I can even see a connection with veterans, founding fathers, etc. (because football, war, guns, cars, the revolution etc. are the sacred items, rituals and myths of the American religion), but why are so many people calling the kneeling players "stupid"?

Because there's a republican in the white house so now if you don't hump the loving flag at every opportunity you're a communist/terrorist/idiot. It's been this way since at least the 80s.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Like the whole idea of the Republican Party is that when the Republicans are in charge then things are perfect and wonderful and beautiful and if you are critical of america when it's perfect you must be stupid. If the Blues are in charge then America is UNDER ASSAULT and OCCUPIED and the flag has been STOLEN by OUR ENEMIES.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's nationalism that they're angry about percieved disrespect to national symbols, but it's 100% racism, or at least ignorance of racism, to see people kneeling during the anthem in protest of black people being murdered by the police for no reason and think these protesters have gone too far

yeah well it's not about that anymore is it since the dickhead in charge tweeted a bunch about it and now they kneeled to Protest Trump and America because that's a much easier bullshit narrative for dumbfucks to follow

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
my only thoughts on the NFL protest stuff is that it would all be a lot more sincere if the NFL hadn't spent the last several years fining the poo poo out of anybody who dared to 'get political' and say anything remotely critical about any of America's multiple illegal wars. anyways, here's this

https://twitter.com/fordmiddleeast/status/913088482838491137

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
jfc that's so stupid i felt my brain shutting down

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

nukeisraelgifbutinsteaditssaudiarabia.gif

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's almost as if woke brands aren't really woke, and this is all a cynical ploy to dupe dumbass liberals into thinking that they care about something other than profit :thunk:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah in that you can respond to the question "why is [any given american thing]?" with "racism" and be on point 90% of the time

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
this is why i buy toyota.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lumpy the Cook posted:

my only thoughts on the NFL protest stuff is that it would all be a lot more sincere if the NFL hadn't spent the last several years fining the poo poo out of anybody who dared to 'get political' and say anything remotely critical about any of America's multiple illegal wars. anyways, here's this

https://twitter.com/fordmiddleeast/status/913088482838491137

i mean... that's a pretty clever picture.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah in that you can respond to the question "why is [any given american thing]?" with "racism" and be on point 90% of the time

american politics becomes much simpler once you figure out that most of the discourse is based on racial animus

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the bitcoin of weed posted:

american politics becomes much simpler once you figure out that most of the discourse is based on racial animus

You guys keep saying "american" like we're unique. It's actually quite racist.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
RT if you know why

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/GrrrGraphics/st...%3D2218%23pti27

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do they serve the frog dog?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Help me here: as a non-american I think I miss some bit of cultural context. I can understand being put off by real world issues intruding in the world of escapism, but some of the reactions are baffling to me. As stupid, egocentric and hyperbolic as it is, I even understand the fans who feel personally disrespected by the demonstration, I can even see a connection with veterans, founding fathers, etc. (because football, war, guns, cars, the revolution etc. are the sacred items, rituals and myths of the American religion), but why are so many people calling the kneeling players "stupid"?

One of the problems that these sort of very nationalistic people have with folks who don't share a similar sort of nationalism is that they know, deep down inside, that the country isn't actually as great as it pretends to be. They know that it was built on the backs of slaves, immigrants, abused minorities, and that, given the chance, the country would go right back to that, despite feeling a little guilty about it.

The cognitive dissonance caused by, say, the US running a military base where rape and abuse of the local populace is common and the picture of the military as clean cut, square jawed heroes who put down the Nazi menace hurts them, literally hurts them, and rather than doing the difficult soul searching and reevaluating of values ("Why is being an American so important to me? Why do I need to be definite by my race? Why have I not improved other aspects of my life so that I can take pride in those, rather than what I was handed at birth?"), it is easier to attack those who point out the contradiction. Clearly, you'd have to be stupid to think that all cops aren't dedicated heroes who only shoot criminals. Clearly, you have to be an idiot to think that racism still exists. They are the smart ones who have it all figured out. You're trying to complicate things and create problems.

Thank you for eating at Taco Bell. Live Más.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmbo

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

You guys keep saying "american" like we're unique. It's actually quite racist.

It's impossible to be racist against Americans because there's no slander or stereotype so gross they can't be convinced to fulfill it

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mixAYpdZwRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GgrGvqYUjY

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crane Fist posted:

It's impossible to be racist against Americans because there's no slander or stereotype so gross they can't be convinced to fulfill it

Hmmm.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
also because american is not a race

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relin posted:

it's one we're winning

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, are americans pretending people are racist against "america"
i thought racism was intent + power

death to america

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

apparently the entire premiere is trump jokes lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

death to america

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

will and grace alone set back gay rights by 20 years. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

an actual dog posted:

will and grace alone set back gay rights by 20 years. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like shill and mace

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Make America Gay Again

Twenty Six United States Dollars

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love this post by the woman who ran the wendy's social media account when it went viral, and how it ruined her brain lol.

for the record here's her getting owned by dasharezone

https://twitter.com/kirashandfetish/status/857817020037038081

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

an actual dog posted:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

@dril and boniface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Relin posted:

steinrokkan posted:

lol, are americans pretending people are racist against "america"
i thought racism was intent + power

death to america

Unpersoning, a classic racist maneuver. I thought c-spam was safe from this kind of thing