Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Realtalk, the impression I'm under is that aside from the Tank/Bruiser divide that Blizzard likes to classify characters as that the tanks in HotS do function slightly differently while having largely the same role to the degree that they aren't really freely interchangable. Johanna's ability to drastically displace someone ala Garrosh tossing them into the middle of your team or Diablo charge-slamming them isn't as pronounced, and her CC isn't as hard as someone like Anub'arak who has two stuns in his base kit and another stun he can take for a heroic.

I mean, I recall seeing discussion to that effect here in this thread when someone would ask why Johanna wasn't in the meta at the moment, that the reason was while she had really good waveclear and personal sustain that her ability to CC people and/or her ability to single an enemy out and put them in a bad position for an engagement weren't as robust as other options, and that a lot of people didn't feel the need for a high sustain, low damage, waveclear warrior with a blind. Is that way off base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Johanna's role is to be incredibly obnoxious to actually get past, between the blind, succ, and the slow. In theory with Diablo/Anub'arak/Garrosh once they burn (or miss) their abilities you can largely ignore them and go straight for the squishies. With Johanna and her low-cooldown abilities the engagement window is much, much shorter, and the squishies have much more time and leeway to use their defense/mobility or to back off entirely.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

BrianBoitano posted:

Bugs/undocumented changes reported on Reddit y'all might want to know about.

I confirmed these in Try mode:
  • BUFF Fastad's trait is always active, regardless of taking damage (which also means Flow Rider is always active!)
  • NERF Diablo devastating charge talent does nothing
  • MIXED Non-moving summons -- Gazlowe turrets, Probius crap, Murky egg & fake eggs and Kerrigan (Torrasque) are all ignored by minions & mercs (still focused by towers) and do not provide vision. For some reason Abathur toxic nests do still provide vision, perhaps because they never took minion aggro even before? Zagara nydus worms provide vision but do not take aggro.
  • NERF Thrall chain lightning doesn't bounce to enemies in fog-of-war/bushes

I haven't personally confirmed:
  • NERF Rehgar lunge distance is much shorter (I don't know what it was before)

None of the above are included on the known bug list :v:

e: mixed up zag creep tumors with nydus worms.

e2: also, there's some poo poo about losing control of D.Va. If that happens to you, hit "hold attack" button, by default H, and that fixes it. Not sure how to personally recreate the bug and :effort:

Sounds like there is a big with characters getting hidden GCDs that has reappeared with this patch as well, severely hurting characters like Alarak/Kerrigan/Kelthuzad etc

Really loving the state of HOTS quality control

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Okay yeah this falstad bug is irratating as hell. Watching him scoot away from me as varian even with the charge cooldown reduction is super frustrating.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Kurieg posted:

Okay yeah this falstad bug is irratating as hell. Watching him scoot away from me as varian even with the charge cooldown reduction is super frustrating.

All Dwarves are the worst

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Look, have you ever had a problem with a coworker using the wrong version of a word file? Even practicing surgeons leave sponges in folks.

What I'm saying is that Blizzard can do no harm and any whining is unjustified quibbling :colbert:

Unrelated, but I played TL with 4 bronzes today. I've never had to clear up so many misconceptions about basic game mechanics, hero or map interactions. Not just recent changes, either. I guess some people just play competitive "blind", like folks trying to solve Rubik's Cube without looking up algorithms. Probably more satisfying when they win, but why hamstring yourself so much?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Whenever I ask someone to go to an empty lane I wonder if they know why I'm asking or if they think they're there to guard the fort.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
However loving inept the HOTS devs are, I do enjoy playing this insanely overpowered Falstad

What will be even better is this will be like the Chen bug where they nerf him before they realize a bug is what made him better

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 30, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Midnightghoul posted:

However loving inept the HOTS devs are, I do enjoy playing this insanely overpowered Falstad

What will be even better is this will be like the Chen bug where they nerf him before they realize a bug is what made him better

Two days ago I played the 5-man mid brawl as an all Falstad team. One of the most fun all-identical brawls I've had, the great hinterlands snipe wars was tense and exciting. Not to mention looking at a flock of dwarven gryphon riders in a big group unexpectedly reminded me of warcraft II.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2sPSWBlpc

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You know what's better than a Dwarf any day? A Worgen.

Delete Falstad & Muradin and replace them with Greymane on a bat and Greymane using a Dwarf as a shield.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

that llidan that flies in at the end is the icing on the wtf cake

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

OK the Falstad bug is hilarious. Once you get the talents its tons of damage while just cruising around the fight.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Sensual Simian posted:

that llidan that flies in at the end is the icing on the wtf cake

Totally. Guldan flying back with "UNSTOPPABLE" and a frantically distressed animation is pretty great too.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

So Is there a reason I can't critter morph Sonya as Brightwing? 3 times yesterday during a game I was point blank because she jumped on me with ult and after stun I couldn't squirrel her.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omQ7HImWSqo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just spent a very enjoyable 15 minutes teaching a Butcher that you can't 1v1 a good Nazeebo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Currently 3-0 on foundry in hero league with vikings. My team spent the entire match pinging my vikings whenever they weren't in a team fight and bitching about loving VIKINGS GG THANKS FOR THE LOSS,. I was the pilot twice, so that hero damage is mostly from punching people in the face.

edit: I got MVP and my team flipped out.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 1, 2017

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Seebach posted:

So Is there a reason I can't critter morph Sonya as Brightwing? 3 times yesterday during a game I was point blank because she jumped on me with ult and after stun I couldn't squirrel her.

Unstoppable effect on leap for X seconds most likely

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I just spent a very enjoyable 15 minutes teaching a Butcher that you can't 1v1 a good Nazeebo.

To be fair you were able to do that before the big nerfs I think

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Toshimo posted:

You can't do anything to a good Nazeebo. He's by far the character I most fear to see played competently on the enemy team right now. He just moved up to highest win rate in the game as well. He's become my preferred draft ban if no one wants to select him.

I've played him many times in the last month and he feels just massively over-tuned, or rather that his talent builds are so high synergy compared to other characters that his scaling just seems to ramp up to a level that other characters can't reach.

You just run over mid/late game team fights with his damage and control.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I've been playing Ana a bit and I like her quite a bit. She's a lot more engaging to play than other supports because landing healing darts feels so satisfying. She does have a lot of weird design quirks though. Her talents are all weird as heck, especially stuff like the dose-stacking quest, which you will almost NEVER naturally get done because of how important it is to stay back with her. It's also too bad she can't heal herself since that railroads her into a duo support line-up, even if that's what allows her healing output to be so strong. If she had a bit of out-of-combat regen from a talent or something, that'd be cool imo

Nanoboost seems like it's going to be nigh worthless for 90% of the heroes in the game but pretty devastating for the remaining 10%, like Cho'Gall and Malthael
Eye of Horus is pretty nice on large maps with a lot of splitting, but overall you'll find very little use for it if you're tagging along with your team

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Minorkos posted:

It's also too bad she can't heal herself since that railroads her into a duo support line-up, even if that's what allows her healing output to be so strong. If she had a bit of out-of-combat regen from a talent or something, that'd be cool imo
Her awfulness as a solo support means she's going to have an awful QM win rate forever. Her HL win rate is also going to be dogshit until everyone who bought her accepts that she is a terrible solo support.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Nazeebo has the highest winrate because he's the most retarded thing to play. Extremely high damage, hard to get to because of Ice block + ult, and if you're poo poo at the game like pretty much every Nazeebo picker I've seen, just cast all your spells in the middle of the fight / on a keep and watch your 90000000000 HP Gargantuan do your job for you. Perfect hero to play at lower ranks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eraflure posted:

Nazeebo has the highest winrate because he's the most retarded thing to play. Extremely high damage, hard to get to because of Ice block + ult, and if you're poo poo at the game like pretty much every Nazeebo picker I've seen, just cast all your spells in the middle of the fight / on a keep and watch your 90000000000 HP Gargantuan do your job for you. Perfect hero to play at lower ranks.

Show me on the voodoo doll where the bad man touched you.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Eraflure posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHNQzGt0RA

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Eraflure posted:

He's good at any ranks. His win rate even goes up if you sort discrete by Diamond or Master where he's around 58-60%. He does a massive gently caress off amount of damage and most of it is unavoidable if he's even borderline competent.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Libertine posted:

He's good at any ranks.

Oh definitely, but his whole kit makes him amazing vs bad players who underestimate DoT, don't notice they have spiders on them or just try to teamfight near a Gargantuan.

Toshimo posted:

Show me on the voodoo doll where the bad man touched you.

I don't have any problem with a hero being very easy to play. It's a good thing, the game needs a few of those (preferably somewhat viable instead of being Jimmy tier).

BrianBoitano posted:

Hahahaahahaha

As always : :shrug:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Eraflure posted:

I don't have any problem with a hero being very easy to play.

Hahahaahahaha

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The bad voodoo man touched me here: :love:

Also is there any reason to take I AM NOW COMPLETE over YOU ARE NOT PREPARED on Illidan? :thunk:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Only when you are now complete but your opponents are also prepared.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Are you losing teamfights because you get focused and die? Then NOW I AM COMPLETE. Is the enemy team overextending or otherwise going off on their own a lot? Then YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

I decided to play nazeebo and despite a few mistakes I wrecked wholesale rear end and I suck.

This guy needs a nerf so bad and I would start with ice block.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I wish instead of ice block they did something like corpse pile - Naz gets 90 armor but is 90% slowed for 3 seconds. Zombies appear and dogpile him, soaking up most of the damage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tibalt posted:

I wish instead of ice block they did something like corpse pile - Naz gets 90 armor but is 90% slowed for 3 seconds. Zombies appear and dogpile him, soaking up most of the damage.

Ice Block should be Spirit Walk: Nazeebo is Immune and Unstoppable for 2 seconds.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Adding mobility to those defensive cooldowns would be even more OP.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Adding mobility to those defensive cooldowns would be even more OP.

G E N J I

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Vile Infenction is probably the single most broken thing in this game which is saying a lot. But if anything else yeah he probably could have Ice Block removed outright, dive is supposed to be his big weakness but you can just Wall/Garg/Ice Block and if they can't get out of the zombies you get an easy kill.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there some trick to hitting people with the spider jar? I feel like I flub that shot more than any other skill shot in the game. Don't know what it is about it. Turned quickcast on for it thinking that on-release was maybe loving me up; seems to have helped a little bit but still always feels a little off somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there some trick to hitting people with the spider jar? I feel like I flub that shot more than any other skill shot in the game. Don't know what it is about it. Turned quickcast on for it thinking that on-release was maybe loving me up; seems to have helped a little bit but still always feels a little off somehow.

It's 100% about predicting enemy movement. Sorry, but it's a straight get gud issue.