Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey do characters at level 99 still get experience? Like if I was to field a team of 99s and one level 1 would the level 1 get all the experience?
Nope. It still splits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
:eng101: but killing and/or Break-ing characters in combat removes them from the EXP pool, so a cheeky little Reddit tactic is to enter into a fight with a bunch of +exp RMs equipped, Break everyone who didn't get the proc, then enjoy +100% total exp from the fight.

You want to Break characters instead of killing them to preserve medals.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thank you for the answers.

Also decided to pull on the phase 3 banner.

1/11 a single disco ball

The single OSB on the banner :(

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

rabidsquid posted:

since i've played FFBE from launch and took a break from this for so long my head still automatically goes "goddammit Shadow is so garbage" and i am glad he's really not garbage in this game

Yeah I'm so used to hearing Shadow is a garbage can from FFBE. They really did the FF6 characters a massive disservice as all of them, sans Setzer and Trance form Terra are absolute poo poo. This had me super excited to get a lot of the good hits for my ninja buddy.

ceaselessfuture posted:

yeah atm I think he's literally The Best DPS with his relics~

I wish I had a pull like yours, Ser :(

I'll probably end up throwing another 2 pulls at that drat banner anyway.

The thing that got me to consider it was that Umaro is apparently a sleeper good BSB, and my only dupes on the banner was the card SSB for Setzer. I figured I'd settle with a BSB for any of the three. I dunno what your dupes look like, but I'm hoping you strike big!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good thing FFBE is a bad game so it doesn't matter if any character is good or bad in it. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

AhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHH :aaaaa:

We didn't get the 30 mythril so I had to do some lesser pulls. I'm ashamed to say I even did a couple of $3 single pulls because I'm a stupid baby. But I got the big grand prize I wanted! I'm so goddamn happy right now.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I did a thing:

It helped me do this other thing:

:toot:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
:negative: none of my favorite characters seem to be getting any attention this event, oh no.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't done any of the event stuff yet other than the orbfest. Am I right that this dungeon restricts your party slowly ?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't done any of the event stuff yet other than the orbfest. Am I right that this dungeon restricts your party slowly ?

The current Crystal Tower's first five fights are mutually exclusive in who you use: if you use Bartz in fight #1 then you can't use him in fight #2, 3, 4 or 5. However the last fight at the center, against Chaos, is instead restricted to only the members you did use in the previous fights.

Nothing else is restricted though, you can use the same equipment and RMs for every fight.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Any advice on if I should go for a wind imperil or an ice burst with my gem selection? I maybe can get enough mythril to pull on either banner 5 or the crystal tower selection draw, but I'm not counting on it right now (I'm sitting at three mythril with maybe 3 or 4 that I can reasonably farm up still). Here's what I have for each element right now.

Wind
Cloud USB
Fujin BSB

Ice
Laguna Imperil SSB
Riona BSB2
Celes BSB1
Shantotto BSB

Right now I'm kind of leaning ice, since that might be enough to cobble together a team to beat Fenrir and it seems a bit rarer as an element than wind, but on the other hand a wind imperil is probably rarer than good ice relics in general.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Crazy Larry posted:

Any advice on if I should go for a wind imperil or an ice burst with my gem selection? I maybe can get enough mythril to pull on either banner 5 or the crystal tower selection draw, but I'm not counting on it right now (I'm sitting at three mythril with maybe 3 or 4 that I can reasonably farm up still). Here's what I have for each element right now.

Wind
Cloud USB
Fujin BSB

Ice
Laguna Imperil SSB
Riona BSB2
Celes BSB1
Shantotto BSB

Right now I'm kind of leaning ice, since that might be enough to cobble together a team to beat Fenrir and it seems a bit rarer as an element than wind, but on the other hand a wind imperil is probably rarer than good ice relics in general.

The pool for ice on the gem banner is pretty drat shallow, but if you're going strictly for Ice Ayame from 11 looks a lot like Cloud's BSB2 in terms of commands. I don't have it but I'm sure someone does and can vouch but it looks great for ice.

Wind idk, the imperil for wind in the selection is very limited. Zack and Zidane are the first that come to mind. Zack BSB is probably better overall for damage and is wind and earth while Zidane has breakdown level steal commands (power and armor) and it's straight wind so it's tough when poo poo resists or whatnot. Zidane has a way better kit overall because holy hell is Zack's bad.

Tbh from what it sounds like if I were in your shoes, Ayame sounds like she would be a beast but maybe some other folks can give their take .

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The caveat I would give for Zidane BSB1 is that while it enters with Imperil the commands themselves don't actually exploit it since they are non-elemental. It was a bit of a point of awkwardness even when it first came out. These days we have Dash & Slash at least but if you have no relics for either character I'd probably give the edge to Zack despite his weird rear end ability set.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The caveat I would give for Zidane BSB1 is that while it enters with Imperil the commands themselves don't actually exploit it since they are non-elemental. It was a bit of a point of awkwardness even when it first came out. These days we have Dash & Slash at least but if you have no relics for either character I'd probably give the edge to Zack despite his weird rear end ability set.

The only thing Zack really gets is Aerora Strike. Zidane gets everything else, including better weapon access.

Zidane has arguably worse commands on his BSB1, but hey, he can self-buff and debuff, and then lean on Dash and Slash for damage.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

They both get access to Wind Slash. :v:

Kidding aside you make good points. gently caress it, I have hella biases so go for Zidane if you go for a Wind imperil.

As for the Ice side of things, Ayame BSB is still a great burst even standalone but given you have one of the rare imperils it would perform even better. I think I give a bit of favor to going for Wind between the two though, simply because of how stupid busted Cloud USB although Fujin OSB also benefits highly from an imperil to force trigger its bonus potency. Also a number of your current ice options (Celes BSB, Shantotto BSB) are mixed elements without EnIce options so their damage won't shine as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Use Fang's Mega Flare BSB. It's AoE on entry, the commands do wind damage, and she can use Sky High which is awesome and devastating.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's nice to see more people joining the cloud USB havers club.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Aw poo poo I forgot Fang BSB would be in that pool too. Hell yes the Magical Australian Lesbian is definitely the best wind imperil option there. The BSB itself is really basic but Dragoons are always really good for abusing wind or lightning.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, Dash and Slash is arguably the best compromise between hones and damage once it gets buffed to four hits. Fang does get stronger options in Aerial Jump and Sky High (if you can manipulate jumps, which isn't really hard), so it comes down to whether you like Fang's spears or Zidane's katana/throwns.

I do think Zidane has the better Legend Dive and utility options (with Mug Bloodlust and Thief's Revenge) so that's where I'd lean, but Fang's a good alternate.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Is there, like, any point to chain bioga/poison leaves lol

Seems like a waste of dark orbs

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Beasteh posted:

I took chain bioga to R3 during some spate where there were multiple poison-vulnerable foes.

I'd run Quistis BSB, Krile with the chain bioga/sheepsong, and a couple other support/DPS options and a healer.

In hindsight probably not my best call given how sparsely I've used it lately. Poison really is forgotten.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Beasteh posted:

I share this opinion and have not crafted either. For the extremely rare boss that has a poison weakness you can tag it once with a 3* spellblade and kill it with useful abilities.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a way to gauge what's more important on a piece of gear, realm synergy or +element?

Say Lightning using +Lit vs using a realm synergy 5* sword

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Is there a way to gauge what's more important on a piece of gear, realm synergy or +element?

The TLDR version is if your character ends up above the attack soft cap of 805 after buffs use the +lit weapon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

triplexpac posted:

If the character's ATK or MAG will be under the soft cap (805 and 1056 respectively) after buffs, then each +element is worth about 40 ATK or MAG before buffs. If they're going to be over the cap, always take the +element.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I finally got around to actually using Zidane's USB a few times after waiting on stamina and such and good goddamn he can put in some work with this thing. My boy is a good boy. :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHSUnFKAVw

Also I don't think I'm ever gonna stop squealing at how loving baller this animation is.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What's the best water option from the gem select? I already have Bartz's BSB3 and USB so might not want to put all the eggs in that basket. I don't have an imperil water yet and I know Rikku's dagger has that. So that's an option. But I also see stuff about Yuffie's. I have Tidus BSB+OSB and Paine BSB as my only water options. I was going to get Sarah's but now that's not on this. Then I was gonna get Ayame but I got Squall's BSB and Umaro's so I don't really need ice coverage anymore. So now water is my weakest.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

What's the best water option from the gem select? I already have Bartz's BSB3 and USB so might not want to put all the eggs in that basket. I don't have an imperil water yet and I know Rikku's dagger has that. So that's an option. But I also see stuff about Yuffie's. I have Tidus BSB+OSB and Paine BSB as my only water options. I was going to get Sarah's but now that's not on this. Then I was gonna get Ayame but I got Squall's BSB and Umaro's so I don't really need ice coverage anymore. So now water is my weakest.

Yuffie's BSB on the selection isn't an imperil and doesn't seem particularly powerful in isolation. Rikku's dagger is nice, but the damage on it is kind of lackluster. Kimarhi's BSB on the selection is an imperil too, with a heal/ether added effect on his commands. He's less useful as a character overall than Rikku, but he can lifesiphon unlike her so that might be a consideration if you're looking purely for an imperil effect for something like the magicite.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I finally got around to actually using Zidane's USB a few times after waiting on stamina and such and good goddamn he can put in some work with this thing. My boy is a good boy. :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHSUnFKAVw

Also I don't think I'm ever gonna stop squealing at how loving baller this animation is.

Featuring 4* ice magicite: guy who summons another sealion after you defeat the first one. Zidane made a pretty short work out of them though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Water Options on Gem Select

Edge: Stock standard EnWater BSB with no real utility. Not Worth Picking.
Yuffie: EnWater BSB that offers an ATK/DEF 20% Mug on CMD2. Decent Choice.
Kimahri: AoE Imperil Water entry. CMD1 has a 25% Ally Heal attached to ST damage. CMD2 has a Self-Ether attached to ST Damage. Pretty Good.
Rikku: Random Target Imperil Water entry. CMD1 is AoE. CMD2 is ATK/DEF 20% Mug. Both are coded as Machinist. Pretty Good

If you're looking for an imperil I'd personally favor Kimahri's BSB, surprisingly. He's had a reputation in the past for getting shafted on relics and being a poor character but his BSB is legitimately good with the imperil and the utility attached. On the other hand Rikku is a stupidly versatile character with a billion ability options and an ATK/DEF mug can always be nifty.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
IMO none of them is such a standout from the others that you shouldn't make that choice mostly based on which character you actually want to use and what your existing options and investment in them is (like if you've already spent 4/5* motes on one of those characters and not the others go for that one)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kimahri is the only one on that list that can Lifesiphn and Wrath, and he can also carry Breakdowns, which is good.

On the other hand, he's the hardest to gear and his only attack that can actually hit Water damage is Waterga, so he's going to live or die by his commands most of the time.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Water Options on Gem Select

Edge: Stock standard EnWater BSB with no real utility. Not Worth Picking.
Yuffie: EnWater BSB that offers an ATK/DEF 20% Mug on CMD2. Decent Choice.
Kimahri: AoE Imperil Water entry. CMD1 has a 25% Ally Heal attached to ST damage. CMD2 has a Self-Ether attached to ST Damage. Pretty Good.
Rikku: Random Target Imperil Water entry. CMD1 is AoE. CMD2 is ATK/DEF 20% Mug. Both are coded as Machinist. Pretty Good

If you're looking for an imperil I'd personally favor Kimahri's BSB, surprisingly. He's had a reputation in the past for getting shafted on relics and being a poor character but his BSB is legitimately good with the imperil and the utility attached. On the other hand Rikku is a stupidly versatile character with a billion ability options and an ATK/DEF mug can always be nifty.

Don't forget your mage options!

Which are uh... bad.

Lulu: Ice/Fire/Water entry. You're picking this if you technically want a Water relic but actually just want a ice+ armor for a stronger ice team. But seriously, don't pick this for water. It ages horribly as a Burst. Nonono.
Gogo: A rare Water+ rod of which very few people actually want (Strago, Gogo V, Rydia and Meia eventually). It's not amazing, and the Mimic will only be useful when Ogopogo arrives, but if you like mage teams it's one of the few En-water mages available to us and perfectly workable. Okay.

And all your eggs in one basket isn't actually that bad, especially with Legend Mote investment. Bartz BSB2 isn't too bad, although it's a shame his Mug Power command is actually coded as Thief and they weren't lazy and made both Spellblade.

I'd personally pick Bartz if you're gonna dive him with his USB anyways, Kimahri for Imperil spamming, Gogo if you REALLY want to use magic.

You also have a pretty strong water team with just Tidus BSB/OSB and Bartz USB alone if you want to look at other stuff. My Liquid Flame clear was just Paine BSB and a lot of Water Veil spam so you're far ahead of me if Water is your weakest element.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 30, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

pichupal posted:

Gogo: A rare Water+ rod of which very few people actually want (Strago, Gogo V, Rydia and Meia eventually). It's not amazing, and the Mimic will only be useful when Ogopogo arrives, but if you like mage teams it's one of the few En-water mages available to us and perfectly workable. Okay.

I actually have this one. Why is Mimic useful when Ogopogo arrives? (I haven't even tried to use Gogo yet beyond making sure he mastered his SB.)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It's mainly that Ogopogo is really the only thing Enwatered Gogo would want to Mimic that he can't just cast himself for damage. I guess it's also nice for emergency Curada casts? It seems a little too gimmicky, and as the game is starting to focus back on abilities and away from BSB commands, accidentally Mimic-ing the wrong thing seems more likely until you've used it a few times for the cast time buff.

It can also cheat for hones - have one well honed Chain Waterga between Gogo and Strago for example. It's always seemed way too gimmicky for me and hard to mimic the right thing, but maybe it works better in practice?

pichupal fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 30, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Who is ogopogo

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
The new 5* Water Summon coming with the Ursula After Years Event, as Rydia is becoming a Water Summoner with a new USB and BSB2. I think it's just a Leviathan recolor.

Scales the same way Tiamat does with the MAG thresholds.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prism posted:

I actually have this one. Why is Mimic useful when Ogopogo arrives?

The combine to form Ogopogogogo.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nihilarian posted:

Who is ogopogo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwL8ESU97s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

If the character's ATK or MAG will be under the soft cap (805 and 1056 respectively) after buffs, then each +element is worth about 40 ATK or MAG before buffs. If they're going to be over the cap, always take the +element.

Note that MAG is a lot harder to eyeball in that case, I made the mistake of bringing a Generic 5* +Lightning rod on Shantotto for MP Air Force and her damage was abysmal. Running with Relm's USB brush was a lot better. (Turns out that "under the soft cap" hurts the +lightning more than "over the soft cap" hurts +MAG.)

Prism posted:

I actually have this one. Why is Mimic useful when Ogopogo arrives? (I haven't even tried to use Gogo yet beyond making sure he mastered his SB.)

Gogo V's burst gives Enwater, so it's basically a free way to get enelement-boosted summons that don't eat through hones.

Mimic isn't useful. It's too goddamn fiddly in a game where input economy is getting more and more important. Ain't nobody got time to keep skipping around to make sure the clownboy gets just the right skill to mimic.

• Locked thread