Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

So the NES game Wall Street Kid, but you play as Senpuuji Might?

No way. Though I'd buy any game that included Joe the Ace Federation Grunt, Might in his train-plane, and Daitarn 3 thrashing the Trinity Gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Warning 2nd OG stream incoming

edit: stream over, it turned out to be two stages in a row of loving Jinrais

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 29, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hokuto posted:

Warning 2nd OG stream incoming

edit: stream over, it turned out to be two stages in a row of loving Jinrais

ABCB - Always Be Checking Boats

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Some of the player suits in Gundam vs are locked, with no unlock info listed. Are these dlc suits probably? The store doesn't list anything yet so I can't check.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

If you can't pick it, it's DLC. There's 8 DLC units you can buy/grab right now. For whatever reason 3 suits are missing on the US psn store compared to Japan, even though the game is cross region (Nightingale, Phantom, AGE-1). Strikers all have to be unlocked by leveling up suits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's very frustrating to have to wait to play the suit I bought the game for.

Please let me pick Nightingale now tia.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
At last, I'm free of this interview. It had some good stuff in it, at least. Full pastebin of part 2 here.

Fate GO defying mobage conventions by requiring completion of the entire first main scenario arc before taking part in some events

Terada: Fate GO's constantly active with events, isn't it?

Nasu: We have about one event a month in Fate GO. Most other smartphone games do one a week, but Fate GO is designed from the ground up to have one major event a month that can be considered the "main dish of the month" for the players to enjoy. The first week of an event is the most active, followed by three weeks of taking their time and doing their routine work. It's our way of giving the players that time to chill out, relax, and just level some characters while waiting for the next big thing.

Q: Some Fate GO limited-time events (*) require completion of the first main scenario arc to play. I found it shocking that a smartphone game would do that.

(*) There was a Fate GO special event that ran from May 1 to May 24, 2017, called Deep Sea Cybernetic Paradise SE.RA.PH, which required players to clear the final chapter of the first main scenario, End Singularity Cap Rank Time Temple: Solomon.

Nasu: Only 40% of our entire player base had access to the Golden Week event this year. But nothing sticks around forever, and all I want is for the people who played it to be able to reminisce about the amazing stuff that happened in Golden Week, and how cool it was. I hope it frustrates the players who missed out to the point that they push harder to get next year's Golden Week event.

Nasu: The requirement is basically there because if you don't clear the first arc, then you don't appreciate the event's primary gimmick. It's also my answer to all the players who talked about how great the first arc was. That's why for very specific limited-time events like the CCC event, the newer players just have to deal with it. Because it's a reward, setting exposition meant for the enjoyment of the players who cleared the first arc.

Q: What's wrong with just enjoying an event without fully understanding it?

Nasu: Sometimes there's nothing wrong with flying blind, but that's no way to play a long scenario. When you consume something you don't really understand, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth, and it's a disservice to the players consuming it. I want it to be considered a treat, like a steak that you can only eat at a certain time of year, that you missed out on last year. It would be like playing an SRW game with no knowledge whatsoever of any of the IPs that it features. It loses something for both the creators and the players.

Q: You know, when you first spoke about the concept of Fate GO, you said it would be a game that wraps up in a year's time.

Nasu: I was privately hoping to do a second arc if it turned out popular enough, so I spaced things out some... but only some. I just worked to give the first arc my max effort. We put out the maximum that we were capable of by the end of last year.

Nasu: Since it's going to continue on, we and the players all need a cooling-off period for our own good. So before launching into arc 2, we prepared something akin to an anthology, basically an arc 1.5 (*), which was meant to get the players as hyped up as they were at the start of arc 1, while also giving us some time to get things ready. I want arc 2 to feel like the start of a new school year, where people wonder what's going to happen this time around.

(*) Fate GO is currently releasing a new scenario, Epic of Remnant, positioned as arc 1.5 taking place after arc 1 of the main story. It is organized like an anthology, with four vignettes that can be played in any order.

Fate GO emphasizes a one-time-only experience

Q: What would you consider to be the most critical aspect of Fate GO? I'm guessing the scenarios?

Nasu: It's a game all about scenarios, but at its core, I think it's the experience. Like I touched on before, console games are a treat, where you set aside a whole day to immerse yourself in the special world that the game creates, while smartphone games are part of the daily lives of the players. I want people to have fond memories of playing the game that was a constant presence in their lives. That means I never skimp on the story, and I strive for excitement with every event.

Terada: Oh, that's interesting.

Nasu: When I was younger, I couldn't stand the idea of a book or video game that would be gone after a month. I wanted something that would last forever. But that led to me having tons of books and games in my backlog that I never played, because I figured that since they weren't going anywhere, I wasn't in any hurry to play them.

Nasu: As I grew older, I grew an appreciation for the idea of things that can only truly be enjoyed in their time. It's frustrating when you miss out on something like that, but sometimes that's life. Calling it a YOLO mentality might be going too far, but Type-Moon as a video game company runs on the idea of doing the maximum you can at this exact moment.

Terada: That's something you can pull off because Fate is a major series, right? Games that can be started at any point can also be put down at any point, but Fate GO has a lasting appeal that keeps people coming back for more of it.

Terada: What you said got me to thinking about my middle school years in the 80s when the Internet wasn't a thing. We would read Shonen Jump. You'd be left out in the cold if you just bought the tankobon to read later, but the weekly serialized issues, we'd all read at the same time. The day after they hit the stands, we'd all be gushing about what came up that week. We'd wonder, "Who's the Last Nanto General?" (*) When we opened it up to that page, we were floored to find out it was Yuria. (laughs)

(*) Referring to Yuria, a character in the Fist of the North Star manga. She was Kenshiro's fiancee at the start of the story and died in the plot. Later on, it came to light that the last Nanto Rokusei Ken survivor, a figure clad in form-covering armor, was actually Yuria, sending shockwaves through the readership at the time.

Terada: In today's terms, it would be like the comments coming on the screen in real time during a Niconico livestream, or going to see the newest Star Wars flick on opening day and chatting about it the day after. I think a large reason Fate GO is so popular is because it's designed around that real time sharing of experiences.

Nasu: Stories that were pop culture a decade or two ago might last forever in the minds of the people that were there for them at the time, but they hold no interest to people not in that age range. No matter how well-preserved something is, and no matter how much you show people that there's a whole world of material they can read if they look farther back, it's just not easy to interest people in entertainment from an era that they didn't grow up in.

Nasu: Real talk, back around 2010, I felt like we were stuck in the past and would never connect with modern pop culture. So the idea of having fun with players who appreciated past culture was Kinoko Nasu's mentality back in 2010.

Nasu: But as times changed and I tried my hand at a smartphone game, I saw that we were getting younger girls who had never shown an interest in Fate before. It was more than just an interest in the IP that brought them there, I realized—It was an interest in a collective experience that you could share with others at the time that it happens. That idea of providing an experience that you can only have now, that became my driving force in 2016.

If video games are just there as something to do, they don't need a story

Q: Mr. Nasu, what do you see as the reason why teenage girls have started playing Fate GO?

Nasu: In a word? Because it was topical. When we started out, our player base was the players who had enjoyed Fate for the past decade, but Fate GO had a lot of problems at the time. But our players had faith in us for all the good games we'd made so far, and they stuck with it and believed that it had promise and would get better. Other people saw that and decided to see what all the fuss was about. They tried it out and thought, "Hey, this Fate series is pretty rad." I think that's all there was to it.

Q: There was a campaign where you allowed free downloads of the Saber route in the smartphone version of Fate/Stay Night. Do you think that had anything to do with it?

Nasu: Ehh, not really? Gamers don't generally read text.

Terada: I often get told to simplify the scenarios in SRW, too. I can appreciate people wanting that, since different players enjoy different things, but doing away with them completely would leave current SRWs up in the air.

Terada: Scenarios are supposed to be the reason why all of these robots are together in one place and fighting. Without that, it's just a bunch of robots on a stage for no reason, which isn't all that entertaining. We do simplify scenarios, but removing them entirely is something I consider out of the question.

Nasu: I personally wouldn't want to play an SRW without the text adventure parts. The SRPG sections are fun precisely because there's a story that's elegantly threading these ridiculous scenarios together and making you invested in it. I think to put it in numeric terms, the satisfaction of the people who skip the text and just play the SRPG parts is a 5, and it's a 10 for the people who play it after reading the text. When it's a 10, it will always stick with people in their hearts.

Nasu: In terms of Fate GO, I would say that I wanted to impress the entertainment value of a story on players that hadn't grown an appreciation for it yet. At first, I'd settle for "The earlier chapters I read were crap, but this one's pretty decent." If that's enough to make them stick with it, they get more accustomed to text. If I can get someone to think, "These stories are pretty sweet," that carries a special significance, and it means something for us as well. Later on when we go back to writing text adventures, if I can get someone to think, "Okay, if the Fate GO staff worked on this, it'll probably be a pain to play but I'll give it a shot," that's all I could ask for.

Terada: In that sense, Fate GO is calling into question the whole idea of what a smartphone app should be. People are accepting of it when they might not have been before. In SRW's case, for all the work we put into battle animations, our scenario dialogue is still just paper cut-outs talking to each other. People say to do better, and I kind of want to, but...

Nasu: No, no, no! If you started animating scenario dialogue as long as what SRW's got, that by itself would cost as much as making a whole game! That'd be nuts!

Terada: It'd be intimidating, but that's no reason not to do it. Not when it's been given to me as homework. Adventure games have been a thing since the Portopia Serial Murder Case (*), but not many things can attract so much attention with just still images and text. I find that impressive, considering that they compete with anime and movies.

(*) The Portopia Serial Murder Case: A PC-8801 adventure game released by Enix (now Square-Enix) in 1983. Yuji Horii was in charge of programming, scenario writing, graphics, and everything else. It portrays a human drama story written in the style of a novel, set in real locations.

Nasu: Back in the Famicom era, stories weren't a thing in video games at all. Hell, video games don't really need stories at all. In that sense, the simplistic smartphone games of today are a return to our roots. You can't expect to get a story with games that are just there to be something to do to kill time.

Nasu: Then you have us, the people that fell in love with video games. We had a different view entirely, because we'd come to love the culture called video games. We started adding stories to our video games out of a desire to create something that adults could enjoy, something that could be solid entertainment. The more we designed games for adults, the more complicated they became. The logical conclusion to that is a treat like SRW.

Nasu: It's fun enough just having Getter Robo and Mazinger Z do cool team-ups, yet you add a grandiose story, complicated stats, human relationships, themes... More and more gets incorporated over time, until you end up with the treat of a game you've got now.

Q: Nasu, what do you consider to be the appeal of SRW scenarios?

Nasu: Scenarios in SRW are structured to basically recreate episodes of the series included in the games. People who have seen the episodes go, "Yeah, that happened," while people who don't know anything about it go, "I never knew that anime had a scene like that." That makes up around 80% of the game, but it's all a tutorial for the last bit.

Nasu: The last 10-20% of the game is where it gets to the real showcase. While the famous plots like Gundam and Mazinger Z are playing out, the game is also laying out the groundwork in the background for the original protagonists, giving them key moments at major junctures. The current SRW game does a nice job of concluding it by drawing together the ideas of the last enemy and the ideas of the protagonist. When you pay close attention to that, you can tell that SRW has some very well-written scenarios.

Nasu: From a writer's standpoint, it makes me marvel at how they can untangle such a jumbled-up mess. Simply telling one original story would be simpler, but that's not what they do. They present a game where lots of different stars get moments in the sun, all while giving you a story that comes off like an original movie version. It's the details that make it so enjoyable.

Terada: Why, thank you!

Q: It's about time to wrap this up, but I'd like to remark on something... I was not expecting Mr. Nasu to be so knowledgeable about SRW and mecha anime.

Nasu: I'm an otaku, what can I say? (laughs) Sadly, there are fewer boys these days that enjoy mecha. That's probably at least in part because of how peaceful our country has become, of course.

Nasu: I'm not speaking in support of war, but the idea of using your own strength to topple large governments or companies or hostile nations in combat was very much a common notion until the postwar period. I've had that impressed upon me by my dad since I was a young boy. Nowadays, I feel like a different mentality is spreading, the idea that fighting just isn't worth it. That if you hate someone, you just wish they'd drop dead without you having to fight them. What's sad to me is that it's not a matter of whether it suits these people, but that they're just plain not interested in robots from the start.

Terada: I feel like it's the duty of people who immersed themselves in mecha stuff in the 70s and 80s to make sure it gets inherited. If something isn't made by people who loved robot shows, kids aren't going to watch it. Kamen Rider is an example of a show that succeeded in that inheritance. Ultraman and Super Sentai shows also succeed in crossing the generation gap, which I find amazing.

Nasu: These days, there are fewer mecha anime that bridge the gap between sentai stuff and Gundam. No more Brave series, that's a big one.

Terada: A lot of shows are made for kids, and personally, I wish they'd make more mecha anime that targeted a slightly older audience. If we could bridge that gap, that slightly older audience might take an interest in lots of other mecha anime.

Terada: I think Japanese people have a particular fondness for large, humanoid objects, too. We wouldn't build giant Buddha statues otherwise. Those go all the way back to the Nara period. There are various reasons for current trends, but much as we don't want to stop producing period dramas, we should also keep creating mecha anime. After all, the Transformers (*) movies are a huge hit overseas.

(*) Transformers: What started out as a line of toys from Japanese toymaker Takara (now Takara Tomy) was branded as Tranformers in North America, a line of transforming robots that took off massively and spurred comic and movie adaptations by Marvel Comics. After numerous remakes, Hollywood finally created a live-action movie adaptation. The movie being alluded to in this conversation is Transformers: The Last Knight (released in theaters August 2017), part of a trilogy of movies.

Nasu: Hell, the new Transformers movie is about King Arthur. That threw me for a loop! (laughs) Talk about your liberal interpretations! Is there such a thing as TOO liberal?

Terada: The reason that American comic book hero movies like the Avengers are so big right now is because the movies the heroes come from all share the same setting, right? And isn't Fate a story about heroes? In that sense, it might not be the same as mecha anime, but I hope you can create a work that can be the crossroads between the two.

Q: Any last words of encouragement for each other?

Terada: I would love to see you create a mecha anime, Nasu.

Nasu: If I got a major shot at it, I'd take it. At least once, anyway.

Q: Anything from Nasu to Terada?

Nasu: Please hurry up and release the Double G Unit 4 (*). Telling you that is the whole reason I came today. (laughs)

(*) Double G Unit 4: Double G refers to the Dynamic General Guardians, original robots featured in the SRW series. Unit 1 is the Dygenguar, Unit 2 is the Aussenseiter, and Unit 3 is the Raioh. In the story, a fourth unit is said to exist, but it has yet to appear.

Terada: Whoa, really?! Uh, okay, sure. (laughs) I've got some ideas for it.

Q: I shouldn't be surprised that Mr. Nasu used his last words to nerd out over SRW some more. (laughs) Thank you both for coming today.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 30, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

Nasu: Please hurry up and release the Double G Unit 4 (*). Telling you that is the whole reason I came today. (laughs)

:same:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thanks for transcribing all of that, Hokuto!

quote:

Terada: I often get told to simplify the scenarios in SRW, too. I can appreciate people wanting that, since different players enjoy different things, but doing away with them completely would leave current SRWs up in the air.

Hah! Both SRW and FGO have a lot going on their scenario writing, moreso now that we're finally starting to get them in english.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Cheers for translating that interview, it was very cordial and fun to read.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Echoing the thanks, was a nice read!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want Mecha-Babbage in the next SRW.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hokuto posted:

Q: There was a campaign where you allowed free downloads of the Saber route in the smartphone version of Fate/Stay Night. Do you think that had anything to do with it?

This is a great line.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I remember Terada saying several years ago that he would like to make a simple SRW without story. I'm glad that he now thinks the scenarios are a crucial part of what makes it work. Maybe he changed his mind after OE?

Thanks for the translation, Hokuto.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks Hokuto!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thanks for all the words of encouragement, guys! It was fun for me, too.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm probably going to stream later today but for now I wanted to share an example of the quality OG Master gameplay you can come to expect from my work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZT9aatT97E

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hokuto posted:

I'm probably going to stream later today but for now I wanted to share an example of the quality OG Master gameplay you can come to expect from my work

I'm so glad you did this

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hokuto posted:

Lefina nooooo

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ahahhaha, definitely have done that before

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
My worst one was trying to figure out and finagle getting an SR point for 30-40 minutes where I had to do X amount of damage to a boss in 3 or 4 turns. I ended up getting within about 350hp of the goal after all that time before realizing that I had 7 units sitting in the boat waiting for their turn that I had completely forgotten about.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've been rewatching some mazinger stuff coming off of srwv, and man, they need to bring back Zero and SKL for the next game.

The combo attacks and story segments would be amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've been rewatching some mazinger stuff coming off of srwv, and man, they need to bring back Zero and SKL for the next game.

The combo attacks and story segments would be amazing.

I'm pretty sure Mazinkaiser SKL and Mazinger Zero having a combo attack would jut be a half-second shot of the Earth exploding.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm a little sad they didn't give us a new FDS for SRWV, when we got two new beautifully animated Mazingers to play with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure Mazinkaiser SKL and Mazinger Zero having a combo attack would jut be a half-second shot of the Earth exploding.

Still a better situation than a Demonbane and Getter Emperor teamup.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Pureauthor posted:

I'm a little sad they didn't give us a new FDS for SRWV, when we got two new beautifully animated Mazingers to play with.

There needs to be more combo attacks in general, but especially with the new rowdy boys. Shin Final Dynamic Special, Charmuro Barrage, Gainax Kick etc.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
its been awhile since we've had an announcement. i keep checking the thread :smith:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mazinger SKL and regular mazinger still have one of the best team attacks ever.

WE ARE HELL!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Race Realists posted:

its been awhile since we've had an announcement. i keep checking the thread :smith:

I feel like we usually get one within a month or two of release and its been 6 months already :negative:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Usually we get an announcement around January for a game coming out in March, IIRC.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Unrelated to the current topic, I was playing OG1 for nostalgia reaons, and came across this little translation gem.

Oh ATLUS... :allears:

Though why she's saying it while using the Chakram Caster is beyond me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hunter Noventa posted:

Unrelated to the current topic, I was playing OG1 for nostalgia reaons, and came across this little translation gem.

Well, it's round...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

The Chakram Caster is classified as a melee attack. For some reason.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So Bullet can have a move he's good with mostly.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's that time again - 2nd OG stream up shortly.

Edit: Stream over, this is what you guys missed

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 10, 2017

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For those of you not following Frank Cifaldi's twitter account, he posted an interesting advertising flier featuring an old push Bandai made to release the Great Battle in English:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/918586215301107713

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hokuto posted:

For those of you not following Frank Cifaldi's twitter account, he posted an interesting advertising flier featuring an old push Bandai made to release the Great Battle in English:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/918586215301107713

Oh hey, I see Apollo Geist. Does that mean X was in this game?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
2nd OG stream inc soon!

edit: stream over, I got the loving Free Electron Cannon, free of secrets forever

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 14, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
probably no indications lately due to them working on a new engine, which takes a lotta time

3DS and Vita are both pretty much dead at this point so if they're making a Nintendo one, they're putting it out for the Switch, and for a Sony release, they probably want to upgrade their somewhat aged Playstation engine that they've used since OG2nd and was held back by needing to be Vita compatible

also, no matter what they're making, it entails more work than usual. if it's a normal game a la V, a lot of the previous games' licenses are a bit stale or out of date and need to be recycled sparingly. people are gonna get wary if yet again a majority of Seed Destiny, Unicorn, Macross Frontier, 00, and Shin Mazinger are like half the game, and the star power of those is starting to wane anyway without obvious hot new poo poo to replace it. what's even been popular after like 2008? the biggest successes I can think of are like, Knights of Sidonia, Majestic Prince, and maybe like Fafner, but it also got a lot of anticipated sequels that bombed, like E7 AO, Macross Delta, and Aquarion Logos. IBO did really well but it only just finished so that one might take a bit.

if it's OG3rd: The Big Final Galactic Showdown Everyone's Been Awaiting For Like Ten Years then they probably have to make some updates and decisions on a cast that is getting a little unwieldy and often running around in HD-remastered PS2 renders/animations, and I'm sure they want to put a fuckton of effort into what they've been building up as a finale for everything

i'm pretty positive that they're about to come out with some insanely cool poo poo though. i mean if nothing else they've gotta have the cash for it, and I thought X-Omega was turning out super profitable for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
How are the engines outdated? V was a new display engine and looked fine, and OGs just put a game on the PS4 with a straight update of what has always been the best looking SRW by a Howling Launcher E.

• Locked thread