Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

tbh I think the endgame crises don't help at all with the grand strategy aspects of Stellaris. The need to blob, and to encourage AI blobbing, so that the galaxy is even remotely capable of resisting whatever endgame crisis you get, is so strong that it prevents the game from adequately replicating those kinds of internal dynamics and dangers as the other Paradox games, where if there is some external threat it's much, much less threatening and interacts with the world in a different way (i.e. the Mongol invasions in CK2 are a threat if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but they don't threaten to literally exterminate all of Europe and end your game).

The endgame crisis is just there to be the final boss you need to overcome. Otherwise the endgame would look like in most 4X games and be mostly about mopping up survivors.

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris is like playing EU4 with sunset invasion on. You just spend the whole game blobbing as hard and fast as you can to prep for that massive off-map invasion. It just seems weird with how stellaris can so quickly randomly generate and handle new countries that there aren't more mechanics around it. Everyone just blobs, there's no stability or core costs, you don't need CB's to go to war, there's no badboy or AE system. You just blob until you come up against a bigger blob, and then all the blobs make webs of defense pacts and alliances that get super hosed up once war starts, or worse, war in heaven starts.

I want to see that huge rapidly expanding empire built on conquest and slavery end up with only 20% of it's population being it's founding species and the rest being really angry conquered folk suddenly face coordinated uprisings that see it fracture into 9 pieces. 4 of the new countries have similar ethos and form a federation, others end up eating each other including their former masters eventually forming a lovely slave dictatorship them selves. The map has changed and a story has been told.

This game is really good at pretending it's about other things than blobbing. It has various AI personalities, which mostly differ by flavor text and how willing they are to attack you. It has factions that make you to meet their insane demands until you realize they mostly want things you're doing anyway and are powerless to do anything when you just ignore them. It has the ship designer, but it doesn't let you make decisions that influence your tactics like in MoO2, or even design some pretty ships like in GalCiv - you're just there to replace Laser II with Laser III. The game encourages you to keep your people happy but doesn't care if your planets are cesspits of misery. It makes a big show about different methods of choosing your leader, but each of them is a portrait with two positive traits and an experience level, so it doesn't really matter who wins. My personal favorite are Mandates - there are whopping five, two of them actually appear in the game and there is no reason to actually care about them except as yet another source of free influence..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I'm playing a Servitor play through and just received 5 refugees - they have the bio-trophy status, are sitting on my planet but they didn't get organic habitats when I received them and I can't build them. How do I fix this?

EDIT: i don't know if it was a coincidence or not but I opened the resettle screen and they all suddenly had organic habitats.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think I'm done for now until the next content update, I just had my fourth game in a row where my empire end in stagnation and becomes a drag to play. Once I get close to battleship level of tech my economy just dies to maintenance costs, other neighboring empire are all rolling around with max battleship fleets like it's nothing, yet they similar number of planets, population, buildings, etc. There is no rhyme or reason why their economies can support these massive battleship fleets and I can't. What in the world am I doing wrong?

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 30, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Back Hack posted:

I think I'm done for now until the next content update, I just had my fourth game in a row where my empire end in stagnation and becomes a drag to play. Once I get close to battleship level of tech my economy just dies to maintenance costs, other neighboring empire are all rolling around with max battleship fleets like it's nothing, yet they similar number of planets, population, buildings, etc. There is no rhyme or reason why their economies can support these massive battleship fleets and I can't. What in the world am I doing wrong?

Are you colonizing everything in sight, maximizing adjacency bonuses, skipping tile bonuses and making entire worlds for the purpose of energy?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Back Hack posted:

I had this problem too until I eventually realized like the vast majority of your worlds should be swarming in energy generators. After a while you'll want to pick up megastructures (if you have the Utopia DLC) so you can build habitats, which again you'll want to fill with energy makers.

Also yeah, like the guy above me said, you'll want to be colonizing literally every planet capable of housing life in your borders

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eej posted:

Are you colonizing everything in sight, maximizing adjacency bonuses, skipping tile bonuses and making entire worlds for the purpose of energy?

Yes, as well as mineral too. That's also around the time the game really starts to drag for me, I really have to min max to get anywhere game and even then that isn't enough. It just kind of stops being fun at that point. :shrug:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 30, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Never use the autogenerated ship designs, they're usually baffling bad. The AI has really strange priorities.

I don't know what good ship designs are though because the combat mechanics are really difficult to figure out other than MORE NUMBER MORE BETTER.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Does the beta patch break existing saves?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The rule has been Plasma+Kinetics, and as I hear it, that hasn't changed. Kinetics to strip shields, then Plasma to eat the armour. Missiles are swingy, because they're directly countered by Point Defence. When it's not there, they're good, when it is, it's terrible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bloodly posted:

The rule has been Plasma+Kinetics, and as I hear it, that hasn't changed. Kinetics to strip shields, then Plasma to eat the armour. Missiles are swingy, because they're directly countered by Point Defence. When it's not there, they're good, when it is, it's terrible.

Tbh with the changes to missiles in 1.8 SO FAR I am finding that it takes a loving LOT of Point Defense to overcome a screen of Whirlwind Missiles backed by Marauders in the large and small slots.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Yes, as well as mineral too. That's also around the time the game really starts to drag for me, I really have to min max to get anywhere game and even then that isn't enough. It just kind of stops being fun at that point. :shrug:

Habitats. At that point my limiting factor becomes the influence required to make yet another habitat.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Back Hack posted:

AI cheats its income/maintenance.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I got some roach refugees

Hope they enjoy being bio-trophies

So I guess the AI uplifted them and then exiled them? Kinda funny.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Magil Zeal posted:

I got some roach refugees

Hope they enjoy being bio-trophies

So I guess the AI uplifted them and then exiled them? Kinda funny.

"Goodbye Roachie! I will always hate you"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that you can't build solar collectors on habitats around a dyson sphere, that's a nice touch and attention to detail.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

I like that you can't build solar collectors on habitats around a dyson sphere, that's a nice touch and attention to detail.
You also can't build them in black hole systems.

Improbable Lobster posted:

"Goodbye Roachie! I will always hate you"
Now that we've taught you about the wonders of the universe it's time for you to go out an experience it for yourself! Seriously, get out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Side note on aesthetic choice- those glowing ball robot portraits are really good. I was sure I was going to use them for my rogue servitor game as they're great kind of gentle but ethereal good-guy robots.

Which is why I realized they made really perfect determined exterminators. I made a race of rival deathbots with that portrait and I think it really worked. But unfortunately now when I see them I see The Enemy that they were in my game, rather than the cool ethereal guys they were to me at first.

I ended up using the plantoid caterpillar guys taking care of cutie butterflies for my rogue servitors. The vague logic I had was that caterpillars would look cute and childlike to butterfly people. No regrets, except that I didn't have the :3 faced version Wiz mentioned in one of the streams. If someone actually made that mod, I'd love to know.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I am curious, are robot empires able to research Positronic AI? It hasn't shown up for me yet in 2350, and I have 5 research options and am hitting repeatable techs now. Without that I don't think I can advance beyond the level 2 combat computers, seems like a bit of an oversight.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Were the empire strength calculations changed in 1.8/1.8.1? I'm about 50 years into a game and the less powerful "equivalent" empires have a good 1k fleet strength on me. The one "superior" empire apparently has a fleet more than double the strength of any other non ascended empire at 8k strength.

Diplomacy in general also seems to be more of a trap than before. An early war had me and a neighbor dismantle a nearby purifier, but my former ally then conquered the newly liberated worlds before I had a chance to turn the liberated worlds into a vassal despite friendly relations between all three of us. Now I'm stuck in a defensive pact war against the superior empire and an "equivalent" empire that still overpowers me despite being several places lower on the empire strength list. If we win, which can't happen even if my ally wasn't keeping their fleet parked above their capital, all I get out of it is humiliating the weaker attacker. If we lose, I cede half of my empire and my ally loses nothing, despite the war being declared against them. It feels like anything other than non-aggression pacts and protectorates/vassals are useless, because the AI always forces the player to take most of the losses even when it doesn't make sense in the broader context of the war.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I really wish I could ever get good at war in these Paradox games, every game ends when I quit after a neighbor decides they can take me and I am summarily pulverized.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

:v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Preem Palver posted:

Were the empire strength calculations changed in 1.8/1.8.1? I'm about 50 years into a game and the less powerful "equivalent" empires have a good 1k fleet strength on me. The one "superior" empire apparently has a fleet more than double the strength of any other non ascended empire at 8k strength.

Diplomacy in general also seems to be more of a trap than before. An early war had me and a neighbor dismantle a nearby purifier, but my former ally then conquered the newly liberated worlds before I had a chance to turn the liberated worlds into a vassal despite friendly relations between all three of us. Now I'm stuck in a defensive pact war against the superior empire and an "equivalent" empire that still overpowers me despite being several places lower on the empire strength list. If we win, which can't happen even if my ally wasn't keeping their fleet parked above their capital, all I get out of it is humiliating the weaker attacker. If we lose, I cede half of my empire and my ally loses nothing, despite the war being declared against them. It feels like anything other than non-aggression pacts and protectorates/vassals are useless, because the AI always forces the player to take most of the losses even when it doesn't make sense in the broader context of the war.
Yeah, it kind of sucks how "equivalent" means "superior, just not so much so that they think they can bully you."

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Butlerian Jihad
:golfclap:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Back Hack posted:

You will probably hate me if I tell you, but I'm doing almost nothing like Eej suggests and still managed to get a titanic battlefleet rolling. And I wasn't even that lucky with resources. What I'm doing instead is to religiously obey tile bonuses and haphazardly use adjacency bonuses -when I remember they exist. :v:

Magil Zeal posted:

I am curious, are robot empires able to research Positronic AI? It hasn't shown up for me yet in 2350, and I have 5 research options and am hitting repeatable techs now. Without that I don't think I can advance beyond the level 2 combat computers, seems like a bit of an oversight.

I got it in my current run, so it was at least possible in 1.8.0.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Preem Palver posted:

Don't think so, that indicator has always been really broad. Seems to be about +/-25% to 30% to count as "equivalent".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Magil Zeal posted:

1.8.1 made it so that Machine Empires can't learn Positronic AI.
You're already Positronic AI. Why do you need to learn it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Butlerian Jihad was the crusade against robotics :argh:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

IAmTheRad posted:

They don't have some renamed tech instead?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Butlerian Jihad was the crusade against robotics :argh:
So they're on the other side of it, sheesh.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

IAmTheRad posted:

I got it from hacking the infinity machine (edit: as a machine empire), and there's some social techs that make reference to positronic CPUs being cheaper to deploy.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 30, 2017

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't really like any of those ship graphic styles you have to select at the beginning of the game (and they haven't bothered to add an extra one now there's robots as well as the other species types). Are there any good mods to increase my options there? I don't want to actually add a bunch of dumb new ship types, just some new models for the existing classes.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
AFAIK no mod actually attempts a complete new ship set with all the functionality of the existing sets because it's insanely labor-intensive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LordMune posted:

AFAIK no mod actually attempts a complete new ship set with all the functionality of the existing sets because it's insanely labor-intensive.

There's actually a few on the workshop, mostly stuff like star wars or star trek though, and they don't have visible turrets.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 30, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
So not actually complete, then. :colbert:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

These guys wanted to become vassals of my Rogue Caretakers, grim...

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

LordMune posted:

So not actually complete, then. :colbert:

Who honestly zooms in that far. I just stick to NSC 7.0 and roll around with Super Dreds. gently caress all y'all, Fallen, Awakened, or Monster.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Playstation 4 posted:

Who honestly zooms in that far.
It's a shame that you're right. Most fights have scores if not hundreds of ships, trying to actually watch what's going on is kind of pointless.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What happened to all the space monsters and creatures that used to fill the game in the early stages? I can't find hardly any of them anymore. :(

I mean, granted I've only started two games since the latest patch so it might be random bad luck, but still...

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Never finding crystal entities for crystal plating is making dealing with these contingency arc emitters a real bitch, is there a better solution than massed kinetic artillery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Is it possible to hurt a computer controlled enemy by destroying its economy?

I spent about 10 years ravaging around this guys space with about 5 small fleets destroying all his resource generating outposts, while occasionally sniping a starbase if his main fleet is far away. He does slowly rebuild them but he can't have more than a dozen stations left over to support his 15k fleet but it doesn't look like he's actually getting limited by his destroyed economy. He still instantly rebuilds starbases and isn't required to disband his ships to keep his energy income positive. Even years after he lost all his mining outposts he's still building ships at the same rate as before and now actually has more than double my fleet strength despite having only like 20% more planets and half the starbases that I do.

• Locked thread