Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
why can't i recruit Gate Guards with High elves, they are in the garrisons. I'm annoyed.

seems like wh1 all over again, smashing defenseless garrisons over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

This is how the ritual works.

If someone gets to stage 5, it takes 20 turns to complete. or 10, what ever.

If it completes, you have 5 turns to teleport an army to fight his army. You also get the other two races as allied armies.

The fight is up hill but you have to be really bad to lose this.

Once I saw this I just hosed off instead of worrying about ever doing rituals and I am now painting maps.

Ah, that's great then. I was already contemplating playing the Vortex campaign on Hard instead of VH because I hate time pressure in Total War games, and just saving my VH playthroughs for Mortal Empires.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The fight is up hill but you have to be really bad to lose this.

I let the other two armies run in and I park my group right behind them when they start fighting. Soon as they rout I clean up and their armies usually comes back from routing and finish the fight.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I am more curious which poison you guys pick up for the heroes

like the death hag gets one of these three things
+20 charge, +10 leadership, fear
+3 melee attack, +10% weapon strength
42 seconds of +26 melee attack, +50% weapon damage, rampage

I normally take fear but man do I really want to take that third skill instead at times

The fear one seems a bit redundant, since one of her passives gives her Fear automatically once Murderous Prowess is triggered. And on top of that, just two levels later she gets the Cauldron of Blood as her mount, which has Fear and Terror by default. Sure, you could just opt to not take the mount and have her run on foot for better combat stats, but just look at the drat thing. How could you not take it?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I try to not take the mount option since I would rather have a murder queen and the cauldren tanks her stats

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I try to not take the mount option since I would rather have a murder queen and the cauldren tanks her stats

I've always been a bit unsure about this. I know when you hover over a mount unlock the tooltip suggests stat decreases, but do those actually occur? I have a vague recollection of checking once in WH1 and not finding any decrease after actually equipping the mount. I could be completely misremembering though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for the ritual, once i disrupted their final stage ones, they also never tried again

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've always been a bit unsure about this. I know when you hover over a mount unlock the tooltip suggests stat decreases, but do those actually occur? I have a vague recollection of checking once in WH1 and not finding any decrease after actually equipping the mount. I could be completely misremembering though.

Even if it does, the massive aoe attacks are probably going to make up for it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, that's great then. I was already contemplating playing the Vortex campaign on Hard instead of VH because I hate time pressure in Total War games, and just saving my VH playthroughs for Mortal Empires.
Yeah same. From that (20 turns warning, 5 turns to assemble an army, three vs one in your favour) it seems like it's explicitly a boss fight meant for the player, not an actual chance for the AI to win.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah I just finished my first campaign as Queek and I can attest first-hand that it's not really a huge deal. You can care about disrupting the rituals if you want but you shouldn't throw away your entire campaign if you can't, because the game lets you halt defeat pretty easily.

I can only speak from having faced them in battle but I had a death hag kill more than 300 of my skaven while mounted on a cauldron of blood, so I don't think it hurts them too much.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just did the first quest battle with Kroq-gar and nearly booched it. Kroq-gar got wounded by the war hydra but a big clump of rampaging sauruses beat the poo poo out of the enemy lord and won me the battle.

Sauruses rock.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
So my game had this weird bug where I couldn't load a save game, it just went back to the main menu. So I tried to restart the game and now it won't launch. Tried all of the suggestions on https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115005033529-Warhammer-II-If-you-re-having-a-Crash-Black-Screen-on-Startup-Read-here and nothing worked. Any ideas?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JBP posted:

I couldn't get the big or whatever in high elves to resolve so I decided to abandon the boring traditional army of game learning and took lizards. I'm very good friends with the conquistadors and bopping rats and orc on the head. Watching a single unit of temple guard get healed and fight thousands of rats in a siege is great.

Those guys are definite bros, in my Mazdamundi campaign they keep supporting my garrisons against Dark Elf armies. They've been my only source of battles with allies so far and those are always rad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Making the jump from hard to very hard with Skrolk is. . .very hard. Hard feels too easy, but Very Hard gets overwhelming.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I've got serious choice paralysis with the factions in this game. I want to do Lizards, but Mazda isn't doing it for me and Kroq starts in the most boring place on the planet, it seems.

What's up with Dark Elves? Can either of the LLs melee it up?

I did the obligatory Tyrion start, and it's been pretty fun. The ritual stacks suck pretty hard, though.

Can't wait for Mortal Empires so I don't have to deal with the Vortex BS.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

both dark elf LLs can melee pretty well

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Devorum posted:

I've got serious choice paralysis with the factions in this game. I want to do Lizards, but Mazda isn't doing it for me and Kroq starts in the most boring place on the planet, it seems.

What's up with Dark Elves? Can either of the LLs melee it up?

I did the obligatory Tyrion start, and it's been pretty fun. The ritual stacks suck pretty hard, though.

Can't wait for Mortal Empires so I don't have to deal with the Vortex BS.

Both Malekith and Morathi can become really killy in melee if you spec them that way. Malekith is more of a classic beatstick with more armour, HP, and beefier mount options including a dragon. Morathi is a bit squishier (though she can stack resistances to the point where she's more resilient than you would expect), but she's also ludicrously fast with a great damage output. Generally Malekith seems better suited to getting down and dirty in the frontline melee, while Morathi is better at zipping around and sniping enemy heroes, lords, and ranged units.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 30, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What are these empire guys eating?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the generic name in the trees for dark elves is really neat and I hate taking the army one since it is always for troops I am not using

but I just got 10% weapon strength, frenzy, and regeneration from picking bloodscourge as a last name

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Tenzarin posted:

What are these empire guys eating?

Carrots. Just... carrots.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK posted:

Those guys are definite bros, in my Mazdamundi campaign they keep supporting my garrisons against Dark Elf armies. They've been my only source of battles with allies so far and those are always rad.

Speaking of them being a worthwhile investiment, here's photographic evidence of them coming to the rescue of the Mirror Pool garrison.

Also kudos to Morathi for bringing the dumbest army I have ever seen i any Total War, and losing her tripe gold chevron Hydra.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man the campaign map runs so bad for me for some reason. Like 80fps in battles and then 40 on the map.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The southern desert island has the land of the dead. So they are going to add in the tomb kings I take it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How do Lizardmen deal with Skaven? They route and I can't catch them, and their gutter runners are faster that my skirmish troops.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tenzarin posted:

The southern desert island has the land of the dead. So they are going to add in the tomb kings I take it.

There's a lot of speculation they'll also be adding Araby.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You know what is still in the game I absolutely hate? telling your army to bash down a gate, the gate opens while your bashing it and you both can't go through the gate or continue attacking the gate but a couple of your most valuable units will attack animation through the open gate and be unable to get out and get mulched by everything on the other side of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you're planning on playing as Dark Elves, I think I'd recommend starting as Morathi instead of Malekith. I've only started as him so far, but he's really just a generic lord with the Dark spells stapled on. Also, she fights a lot more of the new races and is more centrally positioned, making it easier to actually attack other races when they launch rituals. I haven't tried her, but Malekith in general would also benefit a lot when they port real Norsca over in terms of fun. Taking over Kal Karond looks like it gives you a great port, too, and I wish I'd done it before Morathi beat me to it.

Dark elves need the ability to vassalize other dark elves. It'd go a long way to letting you keep a fractured group of individual raiding groups instead of one giant monolithic army.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Comstar posted:

How do Lizardmen deal with Skaven? They route and I can't catch them, and their gutter runners are faster that my skirmish troops.

You don't have cav yet? Let their crap units run and reform, you'll just beat them again the second time, and the third. Once the melee core goes, the ranged units tend to break as well. It's irritating, but if you ignore their ranged stuff and focus on beating the rest they can't really stop you.

Still going on with my initial Mazdamundi campaign. I've got three stacks holding back the eternal dark elf hordes, while the other three evict the high elves from Lustria. I guess afterwards I'll cross over to the southlands to help out the Last Defenders, who are hanging in there against the HElf blob. One of the final lizard techs DOUBLES income from their main econ building, it's a lifesaver. The skaven died off around turn 80, everywhere, completely, I kind of miss them. I get the feeling they're going to be this game's greenskins: competitive in multiplayer, but useless in the hands of the campaign AI.

I hated doing it, but I cancelled the alliance and killed off the New World Colonists. They were amazingly successful and managed to conquer the entire western half of Lustria while I was occupied with securing the isthmus and beating up the DElves. They just had so much land, and it was so easy to take it...

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Man Teclis is so much fun. I lucked out and picked up a ring that gives Arcane Unforging as a bound spell on like turn 5, filling the only hole in his spell selection. (Single Target damage). He really does feel like a one-man army of endless magic, and then you get the sword and potion and he can switch to melee mode in a pinch. Really all the Caster lords are amazing in game 2, I have to give CA credit for managing a complete turn-around from Vanilla Game 1.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Stacking all those passives on as well is awesome, whole army getting multiple buffs when he casts. I think he's my favorite lord

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Krazyface posted:

I hated doing it, but I cancelled the alliance and killed off the New World Colonists. They were amazingly successful and managed to conquer the entire western half of Lustria while I was occupied with securing the isthmus and beating up the DElves. They just had so much land, and it was so easy to take it...

The Great Purpose does not allow for Mercy :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Comstar posted:

Terradons and Cold Ones working in tandem. The Skink riders throw poisoned javelins, poison slows the skirmishers, angry dinosaurs catch up and murder the rats.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rogue armies are something you gotta really be careful with. I think any race can start as a horde rogue army and they will raid and build up to take a settlement.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's a lot of speculation they'll also be adding Araby.

Gonna guess the DLC/FLC races will be Khemri, Vampire Coast, Southern Realms (Tilea and Estalia based on Dogs of War stuff mostly, focused on the mega campaign and maybe game 1, with possibly New World Colonies being playable in the vortex campaign, though I can't really see how they would do vortex stuff) and Araby.

Also hoping for some new lords and such for the game 1 races in the mega campaign. Middenland/Ulrican units (Ulrican warrior priest, knights of the white wolf, huntsmen) for empire led by Boris Todbringer, Kurt Helborg as an Empire legendary lord. A Bretonnian crusader start. That kind of stuff.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Southlands and Norsca are probably the location for most of the DLCs/updates, right? So I should hold off on the Queek/Kroq-gar campaigns if I don't really have the time to do multiple playthroughs?

Also, in general is there a good way to get more ritual currency? I feel like its just on a slow up-tick because most of them tend to be so far apart that getting extra ritual sites means having a huge border which doesn't go as well with the general Dark Elf "raid their poo poo" plan. I took the one in Grond and the one over north of Ulthuan (which gets a pretty sweet Shrine of Khaine boost and garrison), but didn't move on Morathi fast enough and don't really want to start another huge war with my only ally while I'm moving towards the final ritual.

e: Also, Dark Elves for me have been surprisingly non-mobile and tanky. I expected them to be huge glass cannons with fast raider cavalry, but (maybe because I started against Norsca and so went spears/crossbows heavily) I've had the most success so far with one ballista, 2-4 darkshards, 1-3 shades, and a line consisting of varying degrees of infantry and maybe 1-3 units of Cold Ones. I'm currently running about a 4/2/1 halberd/greatsword/witch elf, and roughly the same ratios for my early game armies of spear/sword+shield/dualsword with a hydra on the side for support. I could probably have made a corsair/dark rider army earlier, but late-game that just seems like it'd be shot to poo poo by the High Elves and smashed by the lizardmen front lines once they caught up. I frankly didn't build the cav building anywhere until I already had access to my heavier cavalry, are they actually good?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 30, 2017

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Krazyface posted:

You don't have cav yet? Let their crap units run and reform, you'll just beat them again the second time, and the third. Once the melee core goes, the ranged units tend to break as well. It's irritating, but if you ignore their ranged stuff and focus on beating the rest they can't really stop you.

Still going on with my initial Mazdamundi campaign. I've got three stacks holding back the eternal dark elf hordes, while the other three evict the high elves from Lustria. I guess afterwards I'll cross over to the southlands to help out the Last Defenders, who are hanging in there against the HElf blob. One of the final lizard techs DOUBLES income from their main econ building, it's a lifesaver. The skaven died off around turn 80, everywhere, completely, I kind of miss them. I get the feeling they're going to be this game's greenskins: competitive in multiplayer, but useless in the hands of the campaign AI.

Clan Pestilens and Teclis are the only two factions left on the continent besides myself on my Turn 90 Mazdamundi game. Pestilens has 26 settlements :O

Also, I found Temple Guard a little meh. They are just sooo slow and your main line doesn't really need a ton of them between all of the amazing dinos and Maz's insane spellcasting. Maz's first elite stack had like 15 of them but I quickly cut that down to 8 temple guard as they are not all that interesting to play with compared to Stegadons, Terradons, Horned ones, etc.

cheese fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 30, 2017

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I'm loving my HE campaign. Tyrion is total elfy bullshit if you max out his yellow chain, special yellow chain and the red bow powers.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Gonna guess the DLC/FLC races will be Khemri, Vampire Coast, Southern Realms (Tilea and Estalia based on Dogs of War stuff mostly, focused on the mega campaign and maybe game 1, with possibly New World Colonies being playable in the vortex campaign, though I can't really see how they would do vortex stuff) and Araby.

Also hoping for some new lords and such for the game 1 races in the mega campaign. Middenland/Ulrican units (Ulrican warrior priest, knights of the white wolf, huntsmen) for empire led by Boris Todbringer, Kurt Helborg as an Empire legendary lord. A Bretonnian crusader start. That kind of stuff.

What could be a fun is of the Dogs of War content would be adventuring armies. Travel the map like a horde but instead of the goal of burning everything down you're just looking for plunder, trying to bully the natives, finding fountains if youth and other dumb conquistador poo poo.

Could tie it into the vortex campaign by being the spoiler. Everybody's working to get a big pile of fancy magical macguffin together and you're just running around ruining everything and dooming the world for some swag.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I'm loving my HE campaign. Tyrion is total elfy bullshit if you max out his yellow chain, special yellow chain and the red bow powers.

I'd say Teclis dips much more into the elf bullshit when you're playing singleplayer. The AI has gotten into a tendency of blobbing up, particularly if you do something like try to tie them up with a single unit such as the frostheart phoenix. If you are lucky then you can net almost the entire army and then shoot them to bits, also overcasting regrowth on an elite unit you send into melee (such as swordmasters) so that they can cut through the enemy while talking minimal casualties.

Facing a ritual-spawned chaos army, I used this (caused the blobbing kind of accidentally as I really wanted to tie up their hellcannon, and didn't excect them to completely gently caress up) to destroy them utterly whilst taking 0 casualties. It was just sickening and embarassing Elf Bullshit.

e: I've got to say, having taken a look at all the races, that I really appreciate that their tech trees are laid out in matter that's very flavorful for the race. Particularly Skaven and Lizardmen.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Krazyface posted:

I know what you mean. I thought to myself "Yea yea, you can keep your two provinces for now, I have to go deal with these uppity Skaven and Dark Elves. Just keep the Orcs busy until I can get around to them" By the time I deal with the Skaven and Dark Elves, the Colonists have routed the Orcs and are getting stuck into some Skaven of their own. Which means that if I want to expend south, I have to go through them :negative: Sorry warmbloods, but all's fair in the Great Plan.