Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well I've submitted some (hopefully) compliant versions of my cars. I just haven't had the time to spend tweaking them this time, let alone come up with the new engine family they need. Hopefully they'll be competitive enough!

Possible stupid question: where can I check the text cycle fuel burn? Phone posting at the moment but iirc it was set to 60 kg/h for group A. I just wasn't sure where to check this for compliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

slothrop posted:

Well I've submitted some (hopefully) compliant versions of my cars. I just haven't had the time to spend tweaking them this time, let alone come up with the new engine family they need. Hopefully they'll be competitive enough!

Possible stupid question: where can I check the text cycle fuel burn? Phone posting at the moment but iirc it was set to 60 kg/h for group A. I just wasn't sure where to check this for compliance.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dasfqcvcmRau4smCYhfDbMKuoszeV59aiCtBLHf_Jkc/edit?usp=drivesdk

The test cycle is such that peak power (in kW) multiplied by economy BSFC (in the box on the left side - the average, not peak) multiplied by 0.72 must be less than the listed class fuel consumption.

Really what I just did is, on a calculator I keep onhand, do (for GrA for example) 60,000 / 0.72 - divide that by the listed BSFC and you get the most kW of peak power you can make and be legal.

(look, I'm an engineer, ok?)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh right, right there in the calculator I was using on my other screen the whole time

(look I'm a goon ok :rolleyes:)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Test 5 is now in the books!

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that the entry deadline is this Friday!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I'm pleasantly surprised by how competitive the La Moore is.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Whoa, GrA is looking like it's going to be one hell of a brawl, 9 cars within 15s after 2h of racing.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I honestly have no idea where to pull lower times from on my group C entry.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yowza, that's a little more time than I expected to gain with the new revisions. Engine failure on the prototype worries me though - I really hope I'm not pushing things too hard there, because obviously I'm pushing everything pretty drat hard. Other than doing some testing to figure out how much I want to compromise the tight tracks like ATT compared to the really fast tracks I think I'm done with major revisions. Group A is going to be really interesting at this rate.

I know I'm competing in every class but I really am happy to look over anyone's entry and try some suspension tweaks.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yowza, that's a little more time than I expected to gain with the new revisions. Engine failure on the prototype worries me though - I really hope I'm not pushing things too hard there, because obviously I'm pushing everything pretty drat hard. Other than doing some testing to figure out how much I want to compromise the tight tracks like ATT compared to the really fast tracks I think I'm done with major revisions. Group A is going to be really interesting at this rate.

I know I'm competing in every class but I really am happy to look over anyone's entry and try some suspension tweaks.

I might take you up on that after the first race!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kafouille posted:

Whoa, GrA is looking like it's going to be one hell of a brawl, 9 cars within 15s after 2h of racing.

10 cars - your second had an accident, which is just bad luck. :)

And based on the results from last year, let's be honest, any car within a minute or so of the class leader in these tests is absolutely a threat to win. So that makes 12 cars in A, and basically everyone in Group C.

This season is going to be nuts.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Right, it's time for CVR to show off their weapons for the 1990 season:

CVR Geryon (Group A)

Running in Group A, the Geryon (so-named after a terrible beast from Greek mythology with three heads and a single body) combines incredible power, deft handling and a very unconventional layout with good, old-fashioned Northern ingenuity to produce a big, brash coupe that goes like the clappers - classic CVR characteristics, the lot of them. A 6.75 litre, 16-valve V8 is a derivative of the first engine designed solely in-house by CVR, the Typhon V8 (like the car, also deriving it's name from Greek mythology), producing well over 370 horsepower while returning exceptional fuel economy and driveability. Unusually for a race car - or in fact any kind of performance car - the Geryon sends this immense power to the front wheels, running an unusual reverse stagger to ensure adequate traction both under lateral and longitudinal acceleration.

CVR Geryon Aristo (Group B)

In Group B, CVR competes with the far more conventional Geryon Aristo. Unlike the Geryon in Group A, the Aristo sends its power to the rear wheels in a far more conventional layout for a sports car. Weighing almost 500 pounds more than the Geryon, the Aristo controls the added weight with better suspension, wider tires and a special aerodynamic configuration, all motivated by a turbocharged, 7.5-litre version of the Typhon V8, producing 550+ horsepower, according to the chief race engineer for the CVR Group B effort. While the question of "how much power?" was met with "550-plus" as an answer, the coy wink from the race engineer suggests output might be much, much higher than even that...

CVR Geryon Colossus (Group C)

The ultimate form of the Geryon, the Colossus takes the very latest in all-wheel-drive technology and combines it with a 7.8-litre, turbocharged version of the Typhon V8, the so-called "Typhon Megaly". While the all-wheel drive system adds a considerable amount of weight to an already heavy car, it has proven necessary to handle the immense power and torque of the V8, rumoured to produce nearly double the power of the Group A Geryon. The net result is a car that can launch almost as hard as a Formula One car, and carry on to a much higher top speed as well.

CRT-CVR Typhon

CVR takes the Typhon V8 and pushes it to the absolute limit in the Prototype class. Sharing the same displacement as the Group C car, the motor has been turbocharged even more ferociously, making the Typhon one of the most compact, lightweight and powerful powerplants in the class. Working closely with the British aerospace industry, CVR has spent countless hours in the wind tunnel, and also in the virtual world, testing and retesting the aero settings of the CRT-90 chassis in order to produce the best possible lap times for this chassis and engine combination.

CVR - You Wanna Go, Mate?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Right, it's time for CVR to show off their weapons for the 1990 season:

CVR - You Wanna Go, Mate?

Silly English pig-dogs... heh heh heh.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Autosport weekly posted:

"It was all a bit last minute really. We knew the production versions of the La Moore and the 570 could more or less race in SASC as produced. All we really did was let our La Moore Academy junior design team change the gearbox ratios, fiddle with the aero, suspension and make some engine map tweaks. Hell the Group B entry still has 95% of the interior trim untouched."

"After we figured we could make a shot out of Group B, we let the young lads have a bit more of a bite of the cherry. The little bastards raided our mid 80s F1 stockpile and found a set of turbos that would work with the Sessanta V12. That combined with some input with the Brisbanello Design Team lead to creation of the F1. We are really over the moon with the work that the La Moore Academy guys put out."

"We then tasked them with getting heavily detuning the 570 Brisbanello down to SASC Group A entry criteria. They blew us away with how quickly they did that one."

"That said, we don't expect to win any of the championships this year. F1 takes up most of our motorsport budget and SASC will remain a show and tell project for our academy teams.

Motor Magazine posted:

The 570 and La Moore are similar but different cars. The La Moore's V12 Sessata engine contains all the classic DNA markers of a Moore engine, boatloads of revs and a free breathing overbored design. The 5.7L V8 in the 570 is a radical departure from standard Brisbanello designs, relying more on stroke than bore and a stratospherically high RPM limit.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Dang I like the way those look. I think I did OK with the Salope but when I started I didn't know about the "clone" button so, for example, all the headlights are in a little different places because I didn't want to go back and redo all of the suspension work. I mean there's deliberate bodywork changes too between them but ... it is kind of basic.

Then again it's basically a hastily "productionized" kit car one of the engineers was making in his shed. :D

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Test 6 is in the books!

Please note once again that cars marked "Did Not Start" do not have enough cooling; if you have below 50% of your engine's total requirement, even if it's just 0.1 kilojoules/second, the game will flag it and set your overall reliability to 0.0 - something I cannot override in the model!

Also, Chiwie and mekilljoydammit, when you get a chance, please go have a look at the number selector sheet, as you both have a set of numbers conflicting with one another.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sorry I will hopefully have a chance tonight to upload some updated models. Unfortunately I'm in the opposite situation to SASC-89, I have no free time!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Test 6 is in the books!

Also, Chiwie and mekilljoydammit, when you get a chance, please go have a look at the number selector sheet, as you both have a set of numbers conflicting with one another.

Ooops, I'll change.

Getting concerned about having engine failures during testing. I'll see what attrition is like at the 6 hour test race before changing anything.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ooops, I'll change.

Getting concerned about having engine failures during testing. I'll see what attrition is like at the 6 hour test race before changing anything.

What's your reliability like?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok, quick and dirty revisions submitted to hopefully get me sorted before Friday's deadline. I'll try to get a write up/preview in at some point!

MrChips, my latest revision is named Catalina if you're wondering which export to use

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

What's your reliability like?

26-27 on that one, it's... not fantastic, but it's pretty highly strung so most of the things I can do to get more reliability cost lap time. I'll have to see if I can reach deep enough to improve it without slowing it down.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

mekilljoydammit posted:

26-27 on that one, it's... not fantastic, but it's pretty highly strung so most of the things I can do to get more reliability cost lap time. I'll have to see if I can reach deep enough to improve it without slowing it down.

Good luck with that then. Your cars probably have a less than 50% chance of finishing the 24h races.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

Good luck with that then. Your cars probably have a less than 50% chance of finishing the 24h races.

Yeah, it's almost like a slightly stroked F-1 V8 isn't the thing to take to an endurance race, who knew?

Ironically the turbo versions are more reliable because the rev limiter doesn't have to be over 9000! </meme> to make pace.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Ah poo poo. I don't know if I'll be home in time to fix my group c entry. The loving engine cooling slider keeps on braking on me.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Superbug Car Co., in a frantic bid to reach beyond their core demographic of suburban DINKs, decided to rush their first racing model through development to join Class A of the 1990 racing season.

Initial results were highly uplifting. An all-new 4,8 liter V8 engine was mounted in a stripped version of their bestselling compact, attaining speeds in excess of 280 km/h. Having long specialized in small, light and cheap cars, Superbug was able to keep production costs for the Speedster down to a mere $7500. Due to a clerical error, however, fuel consumption was never factored into any equation. This meant the actual car ended up as an absolute fuel-guzzling monster. Getting roughly 11 mpg, plans to enter Class A were quietly dropped, and marketing set to work rebranding the Speedster as a family-friendly, non-threatening supercar.

The Superbug Speedster will be competing in Class C of the 1990 racing season, where it is expected to possibly finish.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pursesnatcher posted:

Superbug Car Co., in a frantic bid to reach beyond their core demographic of suburban DINKs, decided to rush their first racing model through development to join Class A of the 1990 racing season.

Initial results were highly uplifting. An all-new 4,8 liter V8 engine was mounted in a stripped version of their bestselling compact, attaining speeds in excess of 280 km/h. Having long specialized in small, light and cheap cars, Superbug was able to keep production costs for the Speedster down to a mere $7500. Due to a clerical error, however, fuel consumption was never factored into any equation. This meant the actual car ended up as an absolute fuel-guzzling monster. Getting roughly 11 mpg, plans to enter Class A were quietly dropped, and marketing set to work rebranding the Speedster as a family-friendly, non-threatening supercar.

The Superbug Speedster will be competing in Class C of the 1990 racing season, where it is expected to possibly finish.

:perfect:

It's Mr Sneezy XL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6u-KHM3Qs

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

The 1990 SASC will be the inaugural event for Westward's new performance department, WRT. They don't anticipate coming home with wins, but hope to come away with data for future products both under the WRT brand and the mainstream Westward brand.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Open challenge to make a FF group A car that gets sub 2:06 on the test track

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like the cut of your jib Mister

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Autosport Weekly posted:

I caught up to a concerned looking Gérard Duchesne of Equipe Mardre Sports at the latest SASC pre-season test.

"An engine failure during even a 2 hour testing session is not what we want to see at this point," he said of the Group B Salope Cyclone. "Certainly the pace is acceptable, but to lose a piston... well, who would have thought that a Formula One engine with more stroke would possibly have reliability problems? In all seriousness, this development version may have simply been too far in pursuit of certain attributes. We have several potential solutions, some more drastic than others, but will need to conduct testing to determine which we prefer."

Asked about other news, Duchesne smiled. "We have acquired a sponsor - Suntour, the bicycle component maker? Part of why we renamed the variants of the Salope. And we have another announcement coming soon, of a ... collaboration with another team, that I think will solve many of our problems. We have made at least 7 cars now, but this is not enough sales volume to do everything ourselves yet."

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Holy poo poo, you're right! I was not familiar with this, but like all things R&M it's equally cool and terrifying.

These are close to being the best thing about this thread.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I need to sit down and make better looking press materials - I'm doing a lot of journalism because I have a general character voice, but dang if you guys aren't producing some great looking ad copy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mock Race 1 has just run, and things have been shaken up a bit, it seems:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Did #74 overheat?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

This is going to be a hell of a close run thing!!!

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Man my Group B entry is surprisingly competitive for a thrown together last minute entry of a heavy rear end sedan

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Danny Glands posted:

Did #74 overheat?

No. Over heating was taken out.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Hmmm. Way too many stops on my GrA entry; I must have messed up fuel burn calculations.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Goddamn, matching downforce with suspension tunning is dark magic, the settings that go fast make no sense.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hmm. On the one hand, I made it through the 6 hour mock race without losing any engines... on the other, the test session before freaked me out badly enough that I have an entirely new version of my engine family for the Group B car that puts the reliability to... I forget, 38 or something without losing lap time.

I think I'm done with development for the ATT ... need to check my setups at different tracks now. A lot of testing to do in the last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hmm. On the one hand, I made it through the 6 hour mock race without losing any engines... on the other, the test session before freaked me out badly enough that I have an entirely new version of my engine family for the Group B car that puts the reliability to... I forget, 38 or something without losing lap time.

I think I'm done with development for the ATT ... need to check my setups at different tracks now. A lot of testing to do in the last week.

Definitely switch to the new engine.

• Locked thread