Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You're making an assumption on the storytelling that this was contrived, which it is not - remember that things can be introduced early in a work that pay off later. This is especially important to remember when that work is an adaptation!! I feel like there's plenty of things you can complain about with Made in Abyss, but Bondrewd isn't one of them. He and what he does are genuinely wonderfully done.

I haven't read the manga, and at this rate I don't plan to. The show has to stand on its own or that's just another problem. The whole 'orphan torture dungeon' thing is contrived in the same way the Saw movies are contrived. You can give any in-universe explanation you want, but it's clear it's all just an excuse for the author to be as gruesome as possible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pavlov posted:

I haven't read the manga, and at this rate I don't plan to. The show has to stand on its own or that's just another problem. The whole 'orphan torture dungeon' thing is contrived in the same way the Saw movies are contrived. You can give any in-universe explanation you want, but it's clear it's all just an excuse for the author to be as gruesome as possible.

Nah.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I see literally all storytelling is contrived and entirely up to what the creator's whims are. No one creates things that contains things they don't like.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The point isn't gore for gore's sake, it's to have the characters rebound from it and become better people

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
An incredibly important theme in this is that things get insanely, incredibly dark purely for the determination and hope of these kids to pull through in the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure i've seen pavlov do this with every show i've seen him post in threads for

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

El Burbo posted:

The point isn't gore for gore's sake, it's to have the characters rebound from it and become better people

Ah yes, if only I too could rebound in such directions as "suicidal rabbit" or "agony puddle".

Colonel what have we even watched together? I only remember Flip Flappers.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The Colonel posted:

i'm pretty sure i've seen pavlov do this with every show i've seen him post in threads for

Oh, so I was right.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was good. When I saw Mitty's deathbed I made a little oh nooo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That was such a bittersweet little touch :smith:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The one thing I do agree with Pavlov about is the weird sexualization of the children. How many times do you have to zoom in/focus on a person pissing themselves to make a point? There's no way this author doesn't have a hosed up bondage piss fetish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

The one thing I do agree with Pavlov about is the weird sexualization of the children. How many times do you have to zoom in/focus on a person pissing themselves to make a point? There's no way this author doesn't have a hosed up bondage piss fetish.

Unfortunately, the doujinshi the author's done reportedly do little to disprove your point. It's one of the merits the anime has - apparently, it's been downplaying that stuff and attempting to present it in as neutral and matter-of-fact (as opposed to titillating) a way as possible, so that it's at least vaguely defensible as a constant reminder of human frailty in a hostile world.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

Unfortunately, the doujinshi the author's done reportedly do little to disprove your point. It's one of the merits the anime has - apparently, it's been downplaying that stuff and attempting to present it in as neutral and matter-of-fact (as opposed to titillating) a way as possible, so that it's at least vaguely defensible as a constant reminder of human frailty in a hostile world.

Given that knowledge of his previous work, it's kind of hard not to view all the suffering and odd moments of sexualization the characters experience as creepy self-indulgence of the author's fantasies as opposed to an unfiltered perspective of the characters' lives. Is he showing all of their suffering to make a point, or is he doing it to get a boner? And I'm not sure it's all of the former. I appreciate showing the struggles the characters go through, but it's definitely highly gratuitous at times.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm willing to acknowledge that the author is pretty cynically using children to maximise emotional trauma, and obviously makes a big point of juxtaposing horrible things with the happy-go-lucky general atmosphere, but all the edgelord stuff is nonsense. Forgive me if I sound all Josef Mengele here, but using orphan children for experiments is not some untrodden ground or contrivance, either in anime or real life. In fact, it makes perfect sense in their universe given that there seem to be piles of abandoned children living on scraps that nobody wants or cares about.

I've watched shows with sadness one-upmanship and I don't get that vibe from this series at all. Unsettling pedo vibe, well, kinda. But that's a whole different can of worms.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

There Bias Two posted:

Given that knowledge of his previous work, it's kind of hard not to view all the suffering and odd moments of sexualization the characters experience as creepy self-indulgence of the author's fantasies as opposed to an unfiltered perspective of the characters' lives. Is he showing all of their suffering to make a point, or is he doing it to get a boner? And I'm not sure it's all of the former. I appreciate showing the struggles the characters go through, but it's definitely highly gratuitous at times.

You are making it sound as if he's secretely a Guro overfiend.
The occasional naked girl is all I've ever seen, none worse than what's already in MiA.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This was a really good show, head and shoulders above anything else I watched this year, and convinced me to give the manga a chance after being put off at first by crappy scanlations and an excessive focus on naked preteens. Great background painting, great soundtrack, great atmosphere, pretty good plotting, some excellent performances too, and a great (wrenching) finale.

One thing I feel like they didn't explain at all is how and why Bondrewd just let Nanachi and Mitty walk. He wasn't even slightly concerned his prize experimental specimens up and took a hike to parts unknown? I guess he can keep an eye on whether or not they're alive using his magical abyss science lightbulbs, but you'd think he would at least send one of his goons to track them down.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

This was a really good show, head and shoulders above anything else I watched this year, and convinced me to give the manga a chance after being put off at first by crappy scanlations and an excessive focus on naked preteens. Great background painting, great soundtrack, great atmosphere, pretty good plotting, some excellent performances too, and a great (wrenching) finale.

One thing I feel like they didn't explain at all is how and why Bondrewd just let Nanachi and Mitty walk. He wasn't even slightly concerned his prize experimental specimens up and took a hike to parts unknown? I guess he can keep an eye on whether or not they're alive using his magical abyss science lightbulbs, but you'd think he would at least send one of his goons to track them down.

The fifth layer probably makes that a bit difficult. Also call me crazy, but I think Bondrewd might not be the sanest, most reasonable person.

But damned if he isn't as cool as he is monstrous.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Having not read the manga, I don't know any extra detail, but my impression isn't that he's psychotic and evil, simply obsessed with reaching the bottom and understanding the Abyss at any cost. He already found out what he needed to know from their experiment. He even keeps Nanachi on as a research assistant after he's finished. And he could probably go and get them at any time, so may as well let them go and do what they want because they might do something interesting.

I feel like the whole point is to highlight that he's totally rational, but also an emotionless monster. Sort of setting up this whole dichotomy of 'can you explore and understand the Abyss by science and reason alone' or is it an 'unknowable, mystical force that you can only reach the bottom of with desire and heart' kind of deal. Is it magic or is it science?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pavlov posted:

The arm cutting scene is one thing. That one kind of worked. Introducing a mad scientist to torture tiny orphan girls into immortal, perpetually suffering monstrosities just loses any sense of seriousness.
It's consistent with what you know of the other two white whistles that have been introduced in detail, which is that they're lunatics obsessed with the abyss who won't let anyone get in the way of their objective, but also consistent with what the setting tells you about the general way cave raiders treat children. Remember at the beginning of the series several people in the thread were pointing out the whole idea of raising orphans to go die for loot in the abyss was kinda hosed up, as was the way no one got in the way of Riko committing the local equivalent of suicide by going beyond her depth, even considering we later learned it was her crazy killer mom's wish. Bondrewd is just the point where those two trends intersect, he didn't come out of nowhere and he is completely consistent with the setting.

skasion posted:

The bulb should at least make you realize that he's a man who plans ahead. But also that if he's only getting interested in Nanachi again now that Mitty's dead he probably had more interesting experiments to focus on.

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 30, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Chev posted:

The bulb should at least make you realize that he's a man who plans ahead. But also that if he's only getting interested in Nanachi again now that Mitty's dead he probably had more interesting experiments to focus on.

He may have been interested in her in the long-term sense. He wanted to see what a being like her could become if left to her own devices.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeza posted:

Having not read the manga, I don't know any extra detail, but my impression isn't that he's psychotic and evil, simply obsessed with reaching the bottom and understanding the Abyss at any cost. He already found out what he needed to know from their experiment. He even keeps Nanachi on as a research assistant after he's finished. And he could probably go and get them at any time, so may as well let them go and do what they want because they might do something interesting.

I feel like the whole point is to highlight that he's totally rational, but also an emotionless monster. Sort of setting up this whole dichotomy of 'can you explore and understand the Abyss by science and reason alone' or is it an 'unknowable, mystical force that you can only reach the bottom of with desire and heart' kind of deal. Is it magic or is it science?

Hm I don't know, I personally feel that it is pretty psychotic evil to conduct experiments on small, unwitting children that will agonizingly pervert and ruin their bodies into immortal, mindless blobs and then dump them in a black pit forever. Even if you want to do it for "rational" purpose. He is a real bad man. I guess the manga will probably address this if it shows what he has been up to since Nanachi left, from the show I don't know whether he has bigger fish to fry or if he just doesn't care.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

skasion posted:

Hm I don't know, I personally feel that it is pretty psychotic evil to conduct experiments on small, unwitting children that will agonizingly pervert and ruin their bodies into immortal, mindless blobs and then dump them in a black pit forever. Even if you want to do it for "rational" purpose. He is a real bad man. I guess the manga will probably address this if it shows what he has been up to since Nanachi left, from the show I don't know whether he has bigger fish to fry or if he just doesn't care.

Well, yeah, obviously Bondrewd is very evil, but he's not some moustache twirling, evil for the sake of evil villain, he's an extremist. He will do anything for the sake of gaining more knowledge of the Abyss and because of that he has his own alien moral standard by which the line between good and evil is determined not by harm or hurt to people, but by harm or hurt to the goal of exploring and understanding the Abyss. This moral incongruity makes him evil from our perspective, but I have no doubt that he both understands that and sees his actions as completely justified and good, and that is what makes him a good and realistic villain, almost every real "villain" thinks they are doing the right thing, that their actions are justified.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The thing that bothered me the most about the last episode was how the assistant only brought up his concerns to bondrewd after they'd basically filled up a pit with mutated children and were about to experiment on the last two.

It was too convenient of an plot exposure device for me. I'd rather Nanachi have come across them going over results from an earlier test or something like that.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

skasion posted:

Hm I don't know, I personally feel that it is pretty psychotic evil to conduct experiments on small, unwitting children that will agonizingly pervert and ruin their bodies into immortal, mindless blobs and then dump them in a black pit forever.

If I'm not mistaken, Mitty was the only 'immortal' one due to the circumstances that changed her. The ones in the pit at least get to die eventually.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The thing that bothered me the most about the last episode was how the assistant only brought up his concerns to bondrewd after they'd basically filled up a pit with mutated children and were about to experiment on the last two.

Bondrewd did ask him why he was bringing it up so late in the game. He probably needed a few weeks to build up the courage to confront his terrifying white whistle leader. Even when he did, he was really passive about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Command Ant posted:

Bondrewd did ask him why he was bringing it up so late in the game. He probably needed a few weeks to build up the courage to confront his terrifying white whistle leader. Even when he did, he was really passive about it.

At this point it seems like it's been a few years.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Martytoof posted:

At this point it seems like it's been a few years.

From the conversation, it sounded like they had just recently started using orphans after having used cave raiders.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I don't think much time passed at all, though i guess there's an argument to be made in that Mitty learned to read abyssal script. Or maybe she was just reading a regular book?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

From the discussion the other cave raider didn't even know about elevator of doom, only that Bondrewd brought a bunch of outsiders, and children were especially cruel since they couldn't withstand the strain.
Would he talk about them returning if he knew what Bondrewd was actually doing? He even invited him to have a look (maybe from the inside).

Chev posted:

Yeah, I don't think much time passed at all, though i guess there's an argument to be made in that Mitty learned to read abyssal script. Or maybe she was just reading a regular book?

That was Abyss script on the top. It's not hard and they mentioned they only use it phonetically.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 30, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bomdrewds assistants all wear masks, I think that guy was just some rando black whistle that was at his outpost

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't know if I can take Bonedrewd seriously as a villain with how his name is written. Every time I see it I just think BONEDUDE. :c00l:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Command Ant posted:

From the conversation, it sounded like they had just recently started using orphans after having used cave raiders.

Seems like Nanachi has had a lot of time to establish a home and experiment on ways to release Mitty which in my mind is a lot longer than a few weeks. I think it's also meant to imply that the one grave stone she puts up for the cave raider that she kills means that the rest of the similar looking markers are also grave stones (?) which were established in the same circumstances.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 30, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that image is as incomprehensible as your reasoning for posting it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

that image is as incomprehensible as your reasoning for posting it
It's an image explaining why Bonedrewd is the most complex/best villain in recent history, something I agree with.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Why would you post manga spoilers????

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grouchio posted:

It's an image explaining why Bonedrewd is the most complex/best villain in recent history, something I agree with.

this is the answer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i regret making that gif

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

i mean halfway up this page there are people who discussed it with more clarity and depth than anything in that image

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
there's a thread where you can post manga spoilers untagged instead of hiding every post you make in a black bar. also i'm not sure why you want to bring an /a/ macro over to SA where it doesn't have the tongue-in-cheek context to make it funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

El Burbo posted:

Why would you post manga spoilers????
Didn't I wrap them in spoiler tags?

Ah gently caress it all I never do anything right here.
Forget I said anything.

• Locked thread