Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Devils Affricate posted:

Track list:
01. Do You Know?
02. Hot Water
03. The Gaokao Blues
04. Ni Chi Le Ma?
05. Hurt Feelings
06. Bu Yao
Umm, track one's title was already taken by Enrique Iglesias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkaimt1xIc4

07. Foreigner Go Home
08. I Took My Mistress To Paris
09. Taiwan Belongs to China
10. I Took My Wife To Hainan
11. Black Skin Country Girl
12. My Buzzcut

All of the music is shamelessly ripped off from popular Western songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My major China whinge for the day is that there are no bars in Fuzhou showing the AFL Grand Final!

It is a fun game to watch, and I am sad and annoyed that I had to pay the AFL and am currently watching it alone in the English Department office at school, (I haven't got internet at home yet.)

I'm sure Shanghai, and Beijing have expat pubs, or sports bars, but here in my tiny little 7 million people town such things are difficult to find, especially ones that are open at midday on a weekend.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

My major China whinge for the day is that there are no bars in Fuzhou showing the AFL Grand Final!

It is a fun game to watch, and I am sad and annoyed that I had to pay the AFL and am currently watching it alone in the English Department office at school, (I haven't got internet at home yet.)

I'm sure Shanghai, and Beijing have expat pubs, or sports bars, but here in my tiny little 7 million people town such things are difficult to find, especially ones that are open at midday on a weekend.

I bet you can't even get Vegemite.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"Victims of Chinese (Boxer) revolution lie beheaded in the streets. 1911."
https://imgur.com/HFazGpp

The streets look cleaner and more orderly than they do now.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Bajaj posted:

Umm, track one's title was already taken by Enrique Iglesias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkaimt1xIc4

07. Foreigner Go Home
08. I Took My Mistress To Paris
09. Taiwan Belongs to China
10. I Took My Wife To Hainan
11. Black Skin Country Girl
12. My Buzzcut

All of the music is shamelessly ripped off from popular Western songs.

In the same spirit, track 1 should be the Enrique Iglesias song.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Bajaj posted:

"Victims of Chinese (Boxer) revolution lie beheaded in the streets. 1911."
https://imgur.com/HFazGpp

They still look pretty casual about dead people in their streets, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm in Kuala Lumpur this weekend and I have to say I think Haier would really love this city. Beautiful buildings, friendly people, great food... many restaurants don't even serve alcohol! There's just one problem for him, and I think we can all guess what that is... that's right, the way the streets are here makes it a little hard to walk places.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KL is kinda boring and horribly laid out, but otherwise yeah it's pretty nice.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nickmeister posted:

They still look pretty casual about dead people in their streets, though.

If that happened today the only difference would be the people taking pictures on their phones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had a really good time in KL years ago.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bajaj posted:

There's probably less bodily fluids in the street in that picture than today, too.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

KL is kinda boring and horribly laid out, but otherwise yeah it's pretty nice.

My friend and I spent nearly half an hour today trying to walk half a kilometer and at the end realized the only way to manage the last hundred meters or so was to buy an MRT ticket so we could go from exit 3 to exit 1 because that was how we could get there and there's no way to just cross through the station without a ticket.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I got yelled at for using the wrong door at a museum in KL once. Tried to walk out the way I came in and they ran after me and forced me to go down to the proper exit. Then the power went out. Ended up walking through an exhibit of celebrity coffins, including luminaries such as Eazy E. Then I ate hot pot. In other words, KL is pretty fun.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Pirate Radar posted:

My friend and I spent nearly half an hour today trying to walk half a kilometer and at the end realized the only way to manage the last hundred meters or so was to buy an MRT ticket so we could go from exit 3 to exit 1 because that was how we could get there and there's no way to just cross through the station without a ticket.

I had high hopes for walking KL until I got there. What looked like a local road on google maps turned out to be a limited-access expressway. Wound up ubering all over the place.

There is a pedestrian underpass/overpass/maze that gets you over the river and across the highway by the old KL train station.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Fleta brings up a good topic, hot pot. What are everyone's opinions on hot pot? Is it good? Is it bad?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot pot is alright as a novelty but as someone who somehow winds up eating it a couple times a month without thinking, goddamn do you realize it gets real old real fast.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Taintrunner posted:

Hot pot is alright as a novelty but as someone who somehow winds up eating it a couple times a month without thinking, goddamn do you realize it gets real old real fast.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. It's a lot better if you make it yourself, and you can add as much of whatever you want as possible, and you know that the oil isn't on it's 15th batch, but more than 2-3 times a month is too much for me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dr.Radical posted:

Fleta brings up a good topic, hot pot. What are everyone's opinions on hot pot? Is it good? Is it bad?

I don't usually like the kind that's all oil, like Sichuan hot pot, but I like any other kind I've ever tried.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyway, Malatang is the superior "throw everything in a boiling pot" dish.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Now that summer is over and it's getting cold again, one of my friends has been bugging me about wanting to come over to my place for a sauna with a few others. I was thinking that hot pot might be fun to do for a get together. How the heck do I prepare it? Most of the recipes I seen online treat it like an ordinary soup/stew.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are 5000 kinds of hot pot. Look up one of the good ones like nabe, sukiyaki, or shabu shabu.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hot pot is good if it's homemade with friends. In restaurants it's kinda meh and overpriced.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Jeoh posted:

Hot pot is good if it's homemade with friends. In restaurants it's kinda meh and overpriced.

This is where China is at its best. Befriend a restaurant owner and you will for the rest of time pay absolutely nothing for any food or drink ever.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

One of my fondest memories was hanging out with a bunch of singaporeans and a mainlander and some english people, doing hot pot in 2 rice cookers at chinese new year.

get loads of mushrooms and leafy things and noodles to pad out the meatfest, do your best with the broth base, dont forget sesame sauce and soy sauce and vinegar to dip stuff in, maybe some chilli paste if you can take the spicy. but yah best ingredient for hot pot is friends

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
If you're lazy or you can't figure it out in time, you could get a Little Fat Sheep soup mix.. It's just a big-rear end instant ramen soup packet, but when mixed with store-bought chicken or pork broth\stock it is good enough.

In my experience, the sesame dipping sauce is more important than the quality of the broth. The flavor of the sauce is so dominant that it can mask the difference between good and mediocre hot pot broth. If you can't find a recipe for that sauce, I've been able to improvise it with peanut butter, soy sauce, hoisin, garlic, green onion, and some of the soup base to liquify it more.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The media is cranky about some new game, which I doubt is even a real game.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/09/29/dirty-chinese-restaurant-game-denounced-racist-ont-politicians/

https://youtu.be/6st7cV-R54U

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/business/article/2113455/artificial-intelligence-doctors-chinese-patients-cant-beat

quote:

The use of artificial intelligence in diagnosing and treating cancer and other illnesses could help ease the load on China’s overburdened health care professionals – and they can’t be physically assaulted
If Watson sounds too superhuman to be true, that’s because he is – not human, that is. Watson is an artificial intelligence construct, “born” in an IBM lab and “trained” by researchers at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York City.

IBM Watson for Oncology uses the latest deep learning techniques to provide clinicians worldwide with evidence-based treatment plans. For many of Zhao’s patients – and countless others like them – Watson provides quite literally a lifeline.

“Watson has been really helpful,” Zhao said. “When you cannot make up your mind about which treatment plan to choose, Watson can provide suggestions backed by data and case studies, enabling doctors to make an informed decision.”
This priority is driven in part by a medical manpower shortage. The World Health Organisation estimated that in 2015 there were only 1.5 physicians for every 1,000 people in China, compared with 2.5 in the US and 2.8 in Britain. China’s rapidly ageing population means the pressures on hospitals will only increase. And it is not only American tech firms that stand to benefit but their Chinese counterparts, too.

eijing-based Huiyihuiying, for instance, said it has AI doctors capable of interpreting CT scans. It claims its programme can identify early indications of lung cancer almost as accurately as top Chinese doctors in less time – reading a CT scan and making diagnoses within seconds compared to five minutes needed by human doctors.

There is another advantage for Chinese hospitals in using AI technology: computer programs can’t be assaulted.

One in five doctors in China had been assaulted by a patient at least once and four in five had been verbally abused, according to a 2016 survey by Yimi Research. The survey said distrust and a lack of communication were the primary triggers for conflict.

“It is true that many patients in China don’t trust their doctors and this problem appears often,” said Zhao, who has been working in China’s health care sector for more than 20 years. “Patients simply don’t understand how doctors make decisions, while doctors often have no time to explain to them.”

On a normal day, Zhao might spend 15 minutes explaining to a cancer patient why he favours one treatment over another. But at his busiest, he has time only to tell them what treatment he prescribes – and no time to explain his reasons.
15 minutes trying to tell the cancer patient why antibiotics and bamboo leaf powder will cure their cancer, and trying to convince them why surgery and "Western" practices are so bad for healthy. I don't know what Mainland doctors they interviewed, but I think it's a saving grace for those poor bastards over there that a robot can now give accurate results over the bribe-requesting dickbags in the white coats.

Edit: 1.5 physicians for every 1000 people doesn't seem like much, or even the 2.8 in Britain, but... Mainlanders got to the hospital for stubbed toes and shallow coughs. My friend used to go to this hospital near her house and they gave number tickets in the morning. A few minutes after opening they would reach maximum for the day and people that didn't get tickets were forced to go home.

I got deleted by a girl because she asked me to go to a physical exam her job required and I didn't have time, and she blamed me for not being there to prevent the doctor from asking her if she like having sex and how many guys did she bang, and then calling her mobile phone later after she went home.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 30, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
another choice one from that article:

quote:

China is racing to challenge America’s global leadership in AI technology. Beijing recently said it planned breakthroughs by 2025 and lead the world in AI by 2030. Analysts said the Chinese government aims to use the domestic market to advance made-in-China AI technologies, as the country’s 1.3 billion people would be an ample source of the vast amounts of data needed for machine learning.

apparently supremacy has been pushed back another 5 years already, since it's obvious that the local marketplace is going to be slurping a big blue dick for a while.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Update on Indian gym goers:
I go at the same times every time I go, and see the exact same people now every time.

There is now a definite bicep crew. Three guys, including that biceps-only guy I mentioned, all take turns spotting each other on all the machines and free weight exercises that do not require using the legs. They sit for all free weight stuff, and ignore the machines that work more than the arms. They don't even do the bench press, which their team leader really needs for his concave chest. It's really weird how much they seem to go out of their way to shun anything that would use the shoulders or back, and especially the legs. One guy was doing body weight squats and quit after about ten of them. They were all wearing gloves. In fact, I might be the only guy there not wearing gloves.
I was using the weighted rowing machine and one of the guy stopped to watch me for a while because I think he's never seen anyone use it. I think he lost interest when he noticed it works the upper and lower back too.

There's a chubby guy that arrives about ten minutes after me every time, and he has a routine of doing push-ups, walking in circles, doing more push-ups, and then carrying a 10kg plate around until it's time for more push-ups.

There are women, but they stay downstairs using the cardio machines only. One of them was cute and we had a moment of staring, but I know that was only because of her shock at seeing a non-Indian there.

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm in Kuala Lumpur this weekend and I have to say I think Haier would really love this city. Beautiful buildings, friendly people, great food... many restaurants don't even serve alcohol! There's just one problem for him, and I think we can all guess what that is... that's right, the way the streets are here makes it a little hard to walk places.
:sad:

Pirate Radar posted:

jailbait#3 posted:

I had high hopes for walking KL until I got there. What looked like a local road on google maps turned out to be a limited-access expressway. Wound up ubering all over the place.

I have only been to the KL airport, and the international section of it was horrid. It smelled bad, there was nowhere to sit, and they made me go through two security checks just moments apart.

I would like to go to KL to see some Chinese people I know, but so far haven't found the timing. Telling me it is not meant for walking makes it a poor choice for me. My friends have cars, though.
When I travel somewhere I always want to do a long walk and take in the city. I did many hours across as much of Vienna as I could, and it left me with a strong impression that still lasts. It was before MP3 players, and I carried my CD player in my backpack like a dork. Walking through a new place is how I remember it permanently, and is one of my favorite activities when on vacation or living in a place I want to experience. It was one of the reasons (among many) that I turned down a chance to live in Manila, because the many Filipino friends I asked all said I would most likely be robbed in the area I was going to live in, robbed in the other areas I was looking at apartments, and even taking a jeepney would still probably get me robbed. Everyone was recommending I live on the southern outskirts in Cavite, full of towns with even less chances to go out and look around. "Come stay at my aunties house, she has many rooms because everyone is in the US working now." Nope.

One of my Chinese friends just went to KL and the four days of her updates on Wechat were strictly complaints. This girl has been to nearly every major destination in Europe and Asia, and her final post waiting at the airport to leave was "This is the first time I have visited somewhere that made me miss home."

fins posted:

In the same spirit, track 1 should be the Enrique Iglesias song.
LOL

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese workers transferred to KL usually have a daily taxi pickup/dropoff. I assumed it was an over-cautious safety policy, but is it just because they'll get lost and end up living like a caveman on some auntie's roof?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's because there are no sidewalks. And I mean none. You take a car when you go for a walk in the neighbourhood park for gods sake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

peanut posted:

Japanese workers transferred to KL usually have a daily taxi pickup/dropoff. I assumed it was an over-cautious safety policy, but is it just because they'll get lost and end up living like a caveman on some auntie's roof?

KL is the most car-centered city I have ever seen outside the US. I was staying near the Chinatown and wanted to go to the museum, which is maybe 1.5 km apart. Walking took two or three hours because of how many detours, roads that didn't connect, highways, going through rat mazes, overpasses, backtracking, etc it required. It's actively designed to make walking difficult.

chinese hair cave
Aug 23, 2017

by Cyrano4747
Our China trip was an absolute disaster. I could call it from miles and miles away.

One client didn’t even show up, and swore up and down that we were wrong even though we had emails from him personally saying and agreeing he’d be there at that time.

By the third day, we realized nothing was going to get done so we went and did dumb tourist poo poo in Shanghai. Going on a Chinese escalator is an expireince. Riding a chinese bullet train was absolute hell.

We just eventually stuck to our hotel and ate there.

This really is an idiot country.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Did you show him these emails?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chinese hair cave posted:

Our China trip was an absolute disaster. I could call it from miles and miles away.

One client didn’t even show up, and swore up and down that we were wrong even though we had emails from him personally saying and agreeing he’d be there at that time.

By the third day, we realized nothing was going to get done so we went and did dumb tourist poo poo in Shanghai. Going on a Chinese escalator is an expireince. Riding a chinese bullet train was absolute hell.

We just eventually stuck to our hotel and ate there.

This really is an idiot country.

either everyone is super racist and is in cahoots to slander the glorious Middle Kingdom, or maybe, just maybe, everyone is telling their own truthful experiences and china really is not that great

I like it but am on my way out myself. I've been making order out of chaos for like 8 years now and it's time to move on

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Back in the 70's, my dad actually encountered a "serve stray animals as 'spare ribs'" Chinese restaurant. He went to buy something for my grandma after she got off her shift. There was a sign for a half-off special or something, so he got that. He tasted it after he got in his car, but it didn't taste right so he threw it out. Anyways, about ten days later, there was a news story about the joint getting shut down because the lovely owner was chopping up cats and stuff. I think the owner didn't like black people very much.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cats seem like a pretty poor choice to get a significant amounts of meat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A restaurant in Chengdu got in trouble for serving cats instead of rabbit and it was confusing, I can't see how that'd possibly be any cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hear it's greasy, stringy meat.

• Locked thread