Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Skyscraper posted:

So, how's Echo for a horror game?

When the meat of the game is about to begin, the way that goes can be considered a type of horror. Before and after that, not at all.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit, especially at that pricepoint.

Some people seem to have an incredibly hard time with it though, and they all seem to share that they can't wrap their head around the gamerules entirely. They either expect to be able to fully stealth everything and consider it a fault of the game that they can't, don't understand they need to keep the action economy in mind(and thus create uber clones that can do most actions and royally gently caress them up)or both.

So: it's not full stealth. You will be seen. This is fine. Adapt the things you learn/unlearn based on what you want to do and you will begin to spot routes.
For instance: you may spot a path forward, but you will be seen and chased . The path is a door, and right next to it a mid height obstacle you can vault over. So there are two ways to move forward but you need to pick which one. For the sake of argument, this area is door heavy and there's little to vault over.

The clones in this example only know how to sneak and perform sneak attacks (because that's how you got this far). So both the door and the mid height obstacle would stop them equally fine.

The answer here is to vault. It's a single action, where as the door needs to be both opened and closed manually. Not only does that take longer, but both opening and closing are considered seperate actions. Next cycle, all the clones will know how doors work. And close them behind themselves whenever they use one. And since this area has a ton of doors, you literally freed every single clone. If you just teach them to vault you wouldn't even remotely have this issue.

It's all about giving and taking at the right moment. It's pretty unique and I personally really dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Blattdorf posted:

It's more unsettling than horror. It's definitely an interesting experience, though.
Ah, that's too bad. Doppelgangers are my favorite type of monster, and they're so hard to get right, and the trailer made them look awesome.

Mindblast posted:

Some people seem to have an incredibly hard time with it though, and they all seem to share that they can't wrap their head around the gamerules entirely. They either expect to be able to fully stealth everything and consider it a fault of the game that they can't, don't understand they need to keep the action economy in mind(and thus create uber clones that can do most actions and royally gently caress them up)or both.
I can see people who would just walk into this not getting it, but the whole concept is laid out for you in the trailer, and while it seems like it might be hard to pull off in practice, uber clones are what happens if you weren't paying attention to the core concept of the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I agree, it's just baffling how it is lost on people. They go in with a pre existing idea as to how the game is supposed to be played and are completely frozen in this mindset. "I played thief and hitman and aced those games so therefore I know how stealth is supposed to go and this game is bad".

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mindblast posted:

I agree, it's just baffling how it is lost on people. They go in with a pre existing idea as to how the game is supposed to be played and are completely frozen in this mindset. "I played thief and hitman and aced those games so therefore I know how stealth is supposed to go and this game is bad".

The game spends a solid minute or two spelling it out for the player. The rest is just figuring out how to work within the constraints and abuse them.

There's a few tactics I liked to employ towards the end:

- performing unnecessary actions that would cause the echoes to waste their time doing something else (activating an elevator is a solid one)
- performing actions that would lead the echoes to act predictably and perhaps change their patrol paths
- shooting them because the action the echoes learn is to shoot En, and since they all look like En, they will actually start shooting at each other if their paths cross

The game is full of these little quirks that really elevate the game into something special. I'll most likely start an Ultra Hard run sometime soon just to see how far I can abuse the system.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blattdorf posted:

The game spends a solid minute or two spelling it out for the player. The rest is just figuring out how to work within the constraints and abuse them.

- performing unnecessary actions that would cause the echoes to waste their time doing something else (activating an elevator is a solid one)
- performing actions that would lead the echoes to act predictably and perhaps change their patrol paths
- shooting them because the action the echoes learn is to shoot En, and since they all look like En, they will actually start shooting at each other if their paths cross

The game is full of these little quirks that really elevate the game into something special. I'll most likely start an Ultra Hard run sometime soon just to see how far I can abuse the system.

This sounds really, really cool - I forgot the game was coming out so soon, I think I'll have to pick it up.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

Apparently they fire guns in the same way you did, so if you fired only once they are really slow on the draw. Conversely, if you empty your whole energy load they go cooky upon sight. I was also not confident in shooting them since they'd shoot back if I hosed up, but since the system is so flexible in that regard I still didn't feel under equipped. I definitely need to try this now, though. There's one room in particular that comes to mind.

Also apparently it is possible to cause echoes to throw themselves off safety rails to their deaths by yelling at them. I need to try this.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

What's the verdict on Duck Season? My sister was telling me about it and I can't parse whether it's a VR Duck Hunt in a Halloween costume or a dev working out their revenge on that drat dog.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Looks pretty neat, also has a good handful of endings.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its kind of goofy, but works in its own very self aware setting. I'd say its VR first real success in horror games as its concept is visualized well enough within its medium and its also an airtight game, although its still hampered by being - well, a VR game that most people might not have the peripheral to play or experience outside of a video. It's also kind of funny that it was designed by hating something from years ago and turning that little sprite that laughed at you into a monster. I'm not an expert, but from what I've seen, a lot of horror seems to be made with the author or creator usually already afraid of something, or utilizing an old fear and bringing that back vividly, as FNAF did with the fear of machines sans all the other fluff.

I'm also surprised Bendy's now on steam and up to chapter 3. I'm still kind of charmed by the exact method it took for its inspiration - the world of early cartoons, in this case the less thought of Fleischer Studios; and what it seems to be a fear of a creation actually coming to life in the most literal sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What's the verdict on Duck Season? My sister was telling me about it and I can't parse whether it's a VR Duck Hunt in a Halloween costume or a dev working out their revenge on that drat dog.

The sequel, Rabbit Season, should be interesting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
(Very Molyneux voice) A co-op game where you convince a hunter to kill your friend instead of you.

Also, best MSpaint redraw of an iconic horror game moment gets a copy of Oxenfree.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

(Very Molyneux voice) A co-op game where you convince a hunter to kill your friend instead of you.

Also, best MSpaint redraw of an iconic horror game moment gets a copy of Oxenfree.

E: I'm sorry

VV gently caress me, hell yeah

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 30, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I already have Oxenfree, I just want to celebrate probably the most iconic scene in a video game let alone a horror game.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

I already have Oxenfree, I just want to celebrate probably the most iconic scene in a video game let alone a horror game.

Hell yeah, buddy.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Definitely check out the latest Humble Gems Bundle 2 as it has The Count Lucanor, Tattletail and Slayaway Camp for all your horror needs. All are pro-buys, but if your budget is tight, at least pick up the entry tier.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bogart posted:

We've got a theme here, except I'm poo poo at drawing so maybe no-one can tell what the hell this is?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Gromit posted:

We've got a theme here, except I'm poo poo at drawing so maybe no-one can tell what the hell this is?

Took me less than a second, it's iconic as hell and you did a great job, maybe I should have put some effort in, now I just look lazy lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gromit posted:

The first time we played RE my friend got to this bit and refused to ever play it again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gromit posted:

Everyone knows what a dog jumping through a window means man!

it looks like it's happening in the house from Rugrats though which makes it even better

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

The first time we played RE my friend got to this bit and refused to ever play it again.

I didn't know we're friends!

For real though I was too shocked to go on for a loooong time

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I actually thought that was the starting room from the original Alone In The Dark haha.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gromit posted:

I would play a game that looked like this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spermanent Record posted:

I actually thought that was the starting room from the original Alone In The Dark haha.

I wouldn't blame you for thinking it was a screenshot

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I would play a game that looked like this

Well...

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Gromit posted:

hey, it's that dog

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Bogart posted:

it might not be iconic to you younglings but this moment certainly caused panic attacks in lil' zets

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zetsubou-san posted:

it might not be iconic to you younglings but this moment certainly caused panic attacks in lil' zets

I don't get this one

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't get this one

I do

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ah yes, the little-seen "Muppet Show PCP Freakout" mod for The Eidolon.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I thought it was an ogre shaman attacking the party in an old dungeon crawler and the stuff on the bottom was the game's HUD, magic bars, etc but once I saw the video it's actually really good

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

edit:
Ooops, just realized it was supposed to be a moment. Give me a second.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 30, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Take two!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Thanks to all thosr who recommended Anatomy. It's really one of the best indie walking sim horror games I've played in a long while. Got my heart pumping once it got going and didn't overstay its welcome.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Perfect

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 1, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Am I interrupting something? I don't mean to, it's just, y'know, that time...

Four years now I've been rounding up horror games for the month of October, and it's not like I'm about to stop now. Every day from October 1st to October 31st I'll be posting a review of a scary, spooky, or generally Halloweeny game for you to enjoy and maybe pick up at the big Steam Halloween Sale. This year the name is pretty accurate, because my selections landed on a bunch of ghosts, zombies, and series that maybe ran too long. There's enough of those that I'm probably going to do themed weekends as well, so look out for that in the weeks ahead.

Here's something new for this year: I have a website now! Reviews will be posted there every day at 8 am PST, because I can schedule those ahead of time. Reviews will also be posted on Steam and here in the thread like I always do because I love you guys, but it'll be some time after 8 because I'm crazy busy these days with work and kids and forums posting takes time now. Check the website if you absolutely cannot wait for more spooks, or have faith that I'll get the thing up here eventually for your convenient perusal. Each post will have links to the previous reviews too, so don't worry about missing any.

First review goes out tomorrow morning, so bar the doors, turn out the lights, and break out the backlog. The games are coming.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Four years now I've been rounding up horror games for the month of October, and it's not like I'm about to stop now. Every day from October 1st to October 31st I'll be posting a review of a scary, spooky, or generally Halloweeny game for you to enjoy and maybe pick up at the big Steam Halloween Sale. This year the name is pretty accurate, because my selections landed on a bunch of ghosts, zombies, and series that maybe ran too long. There's enough of those that I'm probably going to do themed weekends as well, so look out for that in the weeks ahead.

Here's something new for this year: I have a website now! Reviews will be posted there every day at 8 am PST, because I can schedule those ahead of time. Reviews will also be posted on Steam and here in the thread like I always do because I love you guys, but it'll be some time after 8 because I'm crazy busy these days with work and kids and forums posting takes time now. Check the website if you absolutely cannot wait for more spooks, or have faith that I'll get the thing up here eventually for your convenient perusal. Each post will have links to the previous reviews too, so don't worry about missing any.

First review goes out tomorrow morning, so bar the doors, turn out the lights, and break out the backlog. The games are coming.

Hell yeah

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's the most wonderful time of the year :toot:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU