Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
No, MGS3 pretty much overtook MGS in every way. You're acting like the critical reception to 2 was always the same as it was after 3 came out. And DMC was getting the same remastered releases that MGS got; DMC4 got an absolutely amazing expansion that was pretty well received afaik.

And... What killed DMC then? The lovely game? Is your point there's never been a lovely metal gear solid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

People may have whined about Raiden but it surpassed the original MGS in pretty much every way.

No loving way. The plot was stupider, the set pieces and boss fights were less interesting or memorable, and yeah, the main character was worse. Also the villains were President Doctor Octopus, artificial intelligence that spontaneously evolved in the basement of the Whitehouse, and a guy with a haunted hand.

The game was stupid as gently caress and sucked rear end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jukebox Hero posted:

And... What killed DMC then? The lovely game? Is your point there's never been a lovely metal gear solid?

I mean, the "lovely" MGS games are Acid and Twin Snakes, unless I'm forgetting some other spinoffs. And neither of those are that bad. The numbered games are all very good.

It could be that I'm looking at MGS2 through rose-colored glasses, it was what, 15 years ago? But I distinctly remember the set pieces and the actual stealth gameplay being greatly improved with more robust levels and items and the first-person aiming. The original MGS had some fuckin goofy stuff that has since been ironed out.

But anyway my point is that MGS had a lovely main character for one game and the series is massively popular; DMC has a lovely main character for one game and is dead. What's the difference?

vvvv :haw:

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Sep 30, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

What's the difference?

Raiden had white hair, DmC Dante didn't

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jukebox Hero posted:

The discussion reminded me of the scenes where Silent Hill: Homecoming had Pyramid Head show up. It had the most popular monster in the series show up to do pretty much nothing but be there, in the design "popularized" by the more recent flop film, in a blatant appeal to fans and was regarded almost as poorly by SH fans as the mop bit was by DMC fans.

It's a shame Downpour was so flatly mediocre because it had some cool ideas.

RyokoTK posted:

I haven't played DmC but maybe the fact that it was just a lovely game is what killed the franchise?

Capcom specifically blamed the fans not liking the reboot, for "killing" the franchise. They haven't made a new DMC out of sheer spite, as far as anyone can tell.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

Capcom specifically blamed the fans not liking the reboot, for "killing" the franchise. They haven't made a new DMC out of sheer spite, as far as anyone can tell.

But they still know which Dante is better, as shown by Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You're going to have to explain to me what was lovely about Twin Snakes. Is it just that the game is a remake?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean they could release a DmCiI and do with DaNtE what MGS4 and Revengeance did to Raiden (that is, turn him into a loving nuts murderborg and then even loving more nuts and likeable) and maybe we will all be happy

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You're going to have to explain to me what was lovely about Twin Snakes. Is it just that the game is a remake?

I think the people who didn't like Twin Snakes didn't like it made the cutscenes a whole lot more wild and silly, like Snake kick-jumping off a rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoxMYHpMqT4

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Twin Snakes is tonally different from the original but I choose to believe Kojima would have ABSOLUTELY had that been how things had gone in the first game if the ps1 could have handled it; he makes cinematics that redefine stupid.

Little thing in MGS2 is when Raiden is trying to get Fatman to tell him where the last bomb is, he takes the dummy detonator and throws it on the ground before pointing his gun at it and grunting angrily. That entire sequence is staggeringly dumb. In fact, every cinematic in MGS2 probably has at least one moment of unnecessary weirdness if not more... "we managed to avoid downing!" "Did you say nerd?", when the president grabs Raiden's dick, it's all just so weird, even by MGS standards

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Saying that DMC killed Devil May Cry because of any merits beyond "Capcom is a stupid loving company that doesn't know poo poo" is pretty laughable.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Saying that DMC killed Devil May Cry because of any merits beyond "Capcom is a stupid loving company that doesn't know poo poo" is pretty laughable.

if only dead rising 3 was what killed dead rising

a problem with the SNES Classic: how the gently caress did anyone do inputs on SF2 with this d-pad?!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jukebox Hero posted:

Twin Snakes is tonally different from the original but I choose to believe Kojima would have ABSOLUTELY had that been how things had gone in the first game if the ps1 could have handled it; he makes cinematics that redefine stupid.

Yeah they originally just remade the cutscenes straight up but kojima said they needed to add their own voice because they felt soulless like this. I absolutely believe he loved the changes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nuebot posted:

I did not know that. Capcom is a trash fire of a company right now though, so I'm not surprised.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I thought it was fine, but it was tonally different from the original and adding in the conveniences from 2 onward like FPS aiming and not having to gain health from bosses kinda broke the game open. I know there was a lot of teeth gnashing over it though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nuebot posted:

It's a shame Downpour was so flatly mediocre because it had some cool ideas.

I remember having fun with it the one time I played it but I am watching a lp and so much of the side content ends so anticlimactically that the only way to know you actually finished it is to check your stat screen to see if the sidequest counter ticked up.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Downpour is the best Western Silent Hill, although I have a huge soft spot for Origins, but that's such a low bar to clear that Downpour can hold that title and simultaneously be just a mediocre horror title with a slightly unique approach to inventory and a severe problem with not being scary.

Every non-boss enemy is just a hosed-up-face person.

hosed up face lady with claws
hosed up face man with fists
hosed up face man with knife
hosed up bat dude with claws
hosed up mannequin that shoots ghosts at you

And the final enemy, there's maybe like ten of them in the game outside the... Kind of nonsensical final sequence where they spawn infinitely:

Big guy with hosed up face who punches you.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im playing witcher 3 and i got to the part in the beginning where i got to meet the emperor of nilfgard and my titty tattoo i got on a drunken romp with the blue stripes in witcher 2 is clearly visible and uncovered on my neck, but im forced to wear this stupid outfit for nerds or something before i meet him and i think to myself "THIS IS THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THE EMPEROR WHILE WEARING NO PANTS!"

then i put on the outfit and what do you know, inventory is disabled and i cant remove my pants. so many things right with this game and this drags it way, way down

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lookit this plebe unable to appreciate fine Nilfgaardian fashion.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah they originally just remade the cutscenes straight up but kojima said they needed to add their own voice because they felt soulless like this. I absolutely believe he loved the changes.

In an interview about Rising: Revengance, Kojima keeps a fairly straight and humourless face throughout while talking about the development. However when describing Raiden throwing the Metal Gear Ray in the intro by catching it's sword and flipping it, he cracks a small smile. He was totally loving how crazy things got.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I judge games entirely on their Rules of Nature moment.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jukebox Hero posted:

Downpour is the best Western Silent Hill, although I have a huge soft spot for Origins, but that's such a low bar to clear that Downpour can hold that title and simultaneously be just a mediocre horror title with a slightly unique approach to inventory and a severe problem with not being scary.

Every non-boss enemy is just a hosed-up-face person.

hosed up face lady with claws
hosed up face man with fists
hosed up face man with knife
hosed up bat dude with claws
hosed up mannequin that shoots ghosts at you

And the final enemy, there's maybe like ten of them in the game outside the... Kind of nonsensical final sequence where they spawn infinitely:

Big guy with hosed up face who punches you.

This is exactly the lamest problem with the game, especially when coupled with the complete stupid ending changing entirely based on whether or not you're good or bad. As you say, it's the best of the western horror games, but it still feels like they really missed the mark hard. Which is a shame because some bits of the game actually are cool (the weird tunnel stretch face guy, the wheel chair guy) but none of it really amounts to much because in the end, the bad guy is you! Except when it's not, then the bad guy is someone else.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Leal posted:

The thing dragging down Undertale is that Sans is Ness.

The thing dragging down Undertale is random encounters.

Seriously, I periodically hear friends talking about it and think about giving it another shot, and then I remember how the starting area was the same three encounters repeated over and over again long after they had ceased to become in any way challenging or interesting and decide not to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Ruins are awful and indefensible, but the game's quality sky rockets after that point. One of the few times "it gets better for reals" is true rather than an excuse.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If DMC killed the franchise why did DMC4:SE come out well after the fact?

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

The thing dragging down Undertale is random encounters.

Seriously, I periodically hear friends talking about it and think about giving it another shot, and then I remember how the starting area was the same three encounters repeated over and over again long after they had ceased to become in any way challenging or interesting and decide not to.

Encounter rate in Ruins is way higher than in the rest of the game. Just play through it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you keep the bandage equipped you run from random encounters 100% of the time

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

John Murdoch posted:

There hasn't been new content this entire console generation, nor does it look like there ever will be. A repackage of a game that came out in 2008 can't really build towards the future, it's a cheap last cash-in on a dead franchise for them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Olaf The Stout posted:

There hasn't been new content this entire console generation, nor does it look like there ever will be. A repackage of a game that came out in 2008 can't really build towards the future, it's a cheap last cash-in on a dead franchise for them.

That's been Capcom's MO for the last decade.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The amount of work put into 4SE was more than just a cheap cash-in or repackage.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I very much enjoyed DmC and thought the mop head was funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Also why did they re-release DMC if they hated it so much?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah the death of DMC probably has more to do with Capcom's business structure, they've been struggling for years now and I think are afraid to take risks on anything so they stuck to just making new iterations of Marvel vs. Capcom but even thats not working out so hot for them anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DMC Reboot sold like 500,000 copies in the first 6 months when the previous entry sold several million. It just hit a million on PC including the numerous bundles it was part of and remaster sales. DmC vanilla was an unmitigated financial disaster and the Re-Master was basically a way to cheaply relaunch the product on new systems which it did decently, but not close to hitting the original sales projections so no reason to risk a sequel.

Since then SFV and DR4 massively underperformed, RE7 was below expectations and did less than a third of RE6's sales, and MvC:I seems to be treading an even worse path.

But hey, remember that trailer for Deep Down?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DR4 deserved to go down in flames, whatever moron made a lot of the decisions on that game should just stop.

Also did some of those underperform or "underperform" because that's starting to get more stupid than usual in some cases lately, like oh our niche genre game didn't sell a billion copies first week, what a lowly performance.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Oct 2, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Barudak posted:

DMC Reboot sold like 500,000 copies in the first 6 months when the previous entry sold several million. It just hit a million on PC including the numerous bundles it was part of and remaster sales. DmC vanilla was an unmitigated financial disaster and the Re-Master was basically a way to cheaply relaunch the product on new systems which it did decently, but not close to hitting the original sales projections so no reason to risk a sequel.

Since then SFV and DR4 massively underperformed, RE7 was below expectations and did less than a third of RE6's sales, and MvC:I seems to be treading an even worse path.

But hey, remember that trailer for Deep Down?

Wasn't RE7 actually good though?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

I thought so. Though the game gets less good once people stop stalking you, though I am fond of the ship segment. Only thing I'd really complain about is the lack of a proper final boss.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Who is ready for ANOTHER Dragon's Dogma port, this time for current gen consoles :iamafag:

Dragging down Dragma: There will never be a Dragma 2 and the only way to get more is to play a japanese only MMO.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Capcom & Konami are both super bad at their jobs and seem to make decisions out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Testekill posted:

Capcom & Konami are both super bad at their jobs and seem to make decisions out of spite.

Sega is really crap, really often as well.

RyokoTK posted:

RE7 was great but it was different therefore bad to a bunch of idiots, also weirdly often I saw people go "IS JUST RIPPIN OFF OUTLAST" because it was first-person and in a spooky setting?