Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

stone cold posted:

which it is?

too late for that, you've revealed your true colors

But there's no link between biology and culture, even to remotely suggest such a thing indirectly is...disingenuous at best. Do you honestly believe that comment wasn't leaning in that direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yes, see: Cuba.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41371793

interesting article on the difference in response. some things that stood out to me

1) cuba is further down the chain of islands in the storms path. the hurrican that hit puerto rico was stronger than what hit cuba

2) cuba is a larger island better capable of supporting itself. those who get less hard can step in

3) cuba has been under embargo and had a worse infrastructure situation than puerto rico(recieves 21 billion federal dollars each year they didnt contribute too)

4) puerto ricans did not que in line to buy water. there was a lack of boarding up windows type of preparation....why?

5) cubans jumped on the situation as a community. regular citizens clearing away roads with chainsaws etc

so my question is. why didnt puerto ricans prepare more? why arent they jumping on the problem like cubans?

and most important how do things get better with them if they separate from USA? no more free money. no more federal disaster aid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

But there's no link between biology and culture, even to remotely suggest such a thing indirectly is...disingenuous at best. Do you honestly believe that comment wasn't leaning in that direction?

the old ceremony posted:

european whiteness is a recent thing in human evolution and their history is overwhelmingly associated with conquest, brutality, indiscriminate pillaging and monstrous insatiable greed

point to me where the biology is

e: please, person who thought that pointing this out and the scientific racism used to justify atrocities against black people were the same

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember there were a couple Goons freaked out that Kelly was going to finally force The Pivot.

I feared the media would love the Mooch, judging by his first press conference.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
don't even get me started on the finns

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

stone cold posted:

point to me where the biology is

Okay:

european whiteness is a recent thing in human evolution and their history is overwhelmingly associated with conquest, brutality, indiscriminate pillaging and monstrous insatiable greed

That statement is clearly trying to connect the two, which is a thing I took issue with.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ague Proof posted:

Well they did, its why Trump fired him he was getting all the attention.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

An interesting spin on Tom Price from the religious right

Hint: it was a hit job by pro abortion and gay marriage left

quote:

"Desperate to stop him from fulfilling the president's promises by reversing the policies of the previous administration on issues like abortion, conscience, and health care, the Left has turned up the fire on the Health and Human Services chief in the hopes of elbowing out one of the most pro-life members of Trump's cabinet," Tony Perkins, President of the Family Research Council, wrote on September 28. Democrats "want nothing more than to oust one of the staunchest conservatives on Trump's team...Knowing Tom Price as I have, there's no doubt in my mind that he meticulously followed every rule. The department's legal team would have been consulted before he stepped foot on these charters. In the end, though, this isn't about Secretary Price's ethics, it's about trying to discredit one of the most effective social conservatives in Washington."

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

paperwind posted:

OH SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT FOOTBALL YOU BIG DUMB ORANGE IDIOT

Could someone in the military just force a loving coup already?

poo poo were at the coup and assassinate president stage. its like im listening to the conservative part of my family during obama. it wasnt ok whem they did it. its still not ok to talk like that now even if trump is poo poo. elections coming in couple years.

once u go coup youve lost

coups didnt work in turkey they still ended up with dictator. the population got to point where they expected depended on military to coup when needed

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

quote:

1) cuba is further down the chain of islands in the storms path. the hurrican that hit puerto rico was stronger than what hit cuba

Cuba was hit as a de facto Category 5, Maria was technically called as Cat 4 by NHC at landfall. Landfall pattern was different and more than anything else Puerto Rico had a worse rain and wind event due to the topography of the island (more mountainous = receives higher winds and creates a stronger rain effect). So while it's kind of true that the effects of Maria hit harder, it isn't true that Maria was a stronger system.

quote:

2) cuba is a larger island better capable of supporting itself. those who get less hard can step in

Completely true and PR basically got the worst crossover possible from Maria because it spared no part of the island

quote:

3) cuba has been under embargo and had a worse infrastructure situation than puerto rico(recieves 21 billion federal dollars each year they didnt contribute too)

A little bit more irrelevant due to the next part.

quote:

4) puerto ricans did not que in line to buy water. there was a lack of boarding up windows type of preparation....why?

5) cubans jumped on the situation as a community. regular citizens clearing away roads with chainsaws etc

Cuba's government takes hurricane preparation extremely seriously and has detailed evacuation planning with mandatory drills. Puerto Rico's government doesn't care about them because they're brown.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

Okay:

That statement is clearly trying to connect the two, which is a thing I took issue with.

european whiteness is a recent thing in human evolution and you're a moron

OH NO I DID A BIOLOGY

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Oh boy, is someone really trying to defend white people's historical cruelty and colonialism itt?

To be honest historically I think it was European cruelty and colonialism. The Spanish and Portuguese practiced the same horrible policies of subjugation and enslavement in the middle centuries as European whites. Still doesn't excuse the terrorism practiced in the United States to anyone that isn't a WASP today.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

my hot take: whiteness is mostly societal construct that was built in order to oppress other people.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Koalas March posted:

my hot take: whiteness is mostly societal construct that was built in order to oppress other people.

it's this

like the old ceremony is a shitposter but that fact that there bias two tripped all over themself to defend white people is telling af

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Koalas March posted:

That seems pretty valid, especially if you think about how the idea of "whiteness" has evolved over the years in the US to include more and more people (e.g. Irish and Italian immigrants).

stone cold posted:

it's this

like the old ceremony is a shitposter but that fact that there bias two tripped all over themself to defend white people is telling af

I do that for any group that I think is being misrepresented in some way. It's unfortunate I'm getting painted as something I'm not because this time it happened to be about white people.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 1, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the old ceremony is white people tripping over themselves to defend whiteness

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ague Proof posted:

Well, they did. Just not in a way Trump wanted. They loved him as a scandal generator/whipping boy.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

Amazing.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

That seems pretty valid, especially if you think about how the idea of "whiteness" has evolved over the years in the US to include more and more people (e.g. Irish and Italian immigrants).

What we need to do, as a society, is slowly introduce other groups into the 'white' category until everybody is considered white.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Cuba was hit as a de facto Category 5, Maria was technically called as Cat 4 by NHC at landfall. Landfall pattern was different and more than anything else Puerto Rico had a worse rain and wind event due to the topography of the island (more mountainous = receives higher winds and creates a stronger rain effect). So while it's kind of true that the effects of Maria hit harder, it isn't true that Maria was a stronger system.

Completely true and PR basically got the worst crossover possible from Maria because it spared no part of the island

A little bit more irrelevant due to the next part.

Cuba's government takes hurricane preparation extremely seriously and has detailed evacuation planning with mandatory drills. Puerto Rico's government doesn't care about them because they're brown.

Please ignore him. He's posting the same thing over and over again. "If they didn't want to get hit by a hurricane they shouldn't live on an island in the Caribbean *HSSS* what a ~hot take~ amirite"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Looking it up there isn't specifically disease causing cholera in PR water and even hati didn't get it until a specific group of accidently introduced it.

Like drinking dirty pond water is definitely going to get people sick and spread diseases. But cholera isn't one of those diseases that is just everywhere always waiting for people to catch, so it's something that someone could introduce to the island but isn't something to just expect from any bad water situation just anywhere.

Cholera usually gets started by drinking from the same place you're making GBS threads.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Burt Buckle posted:

What we need to do, as a society, is slowly introduce other groups into the 'white' category until everybody is considered white.

Whiteness in the USA is defined largely in opposition to blackness.

It might work with Latinos but I'm not on board with tossing African Americans under the bus forever.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Koalas March posted:

Kind of a lukewarm take at best, most people should be familiar with the racial propaganda levied at the Irish around the 1900's about their monstrous 'unwhiteness' (and they're about the palest motherfuckers around). It is true that nonwhite Europeans participated in colonial practices, as well, but hey, as it turns out, human beings are more alike than we are different across racial and religious divides.

It would definitely be nice if the current crop of white nationalism would just wither and die already, but the roots go deep.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the old ceremony posted:

There Bias Two posted:

I do that for any group that I think is being misrepresented in some way. It's unfortunate I'm getting painted as something I'm not because this time it happened to be about white people.

:thunk:

the old ceremony posted:

:five:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

A few posts up someone is apparently calling the Spanish and the Portuguese non-white, so....

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OddObserver posted:

A few posts up someone is apparently calling the Spanish and the Portuguese non-white, so....

That's a new one for me too.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This guy is saying that things are starting to get back to normal and now the big problem is that most people don't have jobs.

Granted it's just one guy's account of everything, but lack of jobs is going to be pretty tough to tackle. Like him, many Puerto Ricans will probably relocate to continental US.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OddObserver posted:

I mean, depends which Europeans you ask even to some small degree today. :v:

Never mind before the modern day. I loving love Ben Franklin's essay bitching about the swarthy Germans, taking our jobs and polluting our culture and refusing to speak English.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean, depends which Europeans you ask even to some small degree today. :v:

Never mind before the modern day. I loving love Ben Franklin's essay bitching about the swarthy Germans, taking our jobs and polluting our culture and refusing to speak English.

Seriously can't get over this every time I'm reminded of it. Those swarthy Germans, who would in no way later become a focal point for white nationalist fuckwits.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

enraged_camel posted:

This guy is saying that things are starting to get back to normal and now the big problem is that most people don't have jobs.

Granted it's just one guy's account of everything, but lack of jobs is going to be pretty tough to tackle. Like him, many Puerto Ricans will probably relocate to continental US.

"Yeah, people only have to wait on line exposed to the elements with little to no water or food for two hours now! Do you know how long people in Somalia have to walk to get water and fuel? They're SO LUCKY in comparison! I'm not gonna say anyone's ~whining~, but...hey..." *waits for people in the comments to gleefully say it for him*

And yeah - I hope all of them relocate to solid red congressional districts which have just been freshly gerrymandered, so loving with them again after an influx of new voters would be hard (even for them) to justify. The idea of fully enfranchised brown and hispanic US citizens ~stealin' shitkicker jerbs~ makes me happy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 1, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Seriously can't get over this every time I'm reminded of it. Those swarthy Germans, who would in no way later become a focal point for white nationalist fuckwits.

I have to do a double-take every time I see someone with a Slavic surname hanging out with Nazis.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

There Bias Two posted:

"european whiteness is a recent thing in human evolution"

Yeah, he wasn't wondering anything with that statement. But I'd rather end this discussion before I get accused of being some sort of apologist.

Don't worry, anyone with half a brain knows who the loving idiot in this conversation is.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I wish Puerto Rico were a state.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

stone cold posted:

it's this

This is the quote that started the conversation, and which the old ceremony ostensibly agrees with

quote:

My parents attitudes have hardened against white people as they've aged to the point where my dad is a scientific racist who thinks violence and genocide are in white people's DNA.

That's dumb bullshit that reinforces racism against minorities. Nobody's claiming persecuted whiteness; it's literally the same poo poo that leads to scientific theories of racism. And based on you quoting Koalas March and agreeing with her, you think it's dumb too.

Edit: It's basically the other side of the coin as "white people are more competitive and biologically destined to rule."

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Bell Curve arguments........ in my Trump thread!???!???

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/28/fox-news-poll-world-going-to-hell-in-handbasket-as-nation-comes-apart-at-seams.html

quote:

A large majority of American voters feels the bonds that hold the country together are weakening, while over half think the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

A Fox News poll released Thursday also finds that large numbers feel more people are rude and behave badly in public in the United States today compared to the past.

Some 56 percent of voters say things are "going to hell in a handbasket." It was 57 percent a year ago and 58 percent in 2014, when the question was first asked on a Fox News poll.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats really depressing man. i guess people stop caring after a while.

There is alternative way to see it. These type of people are under attack. They have been intentionally manipulated by decades of media like fox and talk radio. They've been told a story, over, and over, and over, and over again. The symbolic representations of the things they believed in have been used to manipulate them and to insert other ideas. The worst of us, the predators like Roger Ailes, etc, have been loving with thier heads for decades.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

the gently caress kind of scientific poll includes a colloquial phrase in their questioning

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

dhn posted:

He is all in today.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914269704440737792

PR, check
NFL, check
Alabama, check

But I thought polls were fake news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Please ignore him. He's posting the same thing over and over again. "If they didn't want to get hit by a hurricane they shouldn't live on an island in the Caribbean *HSSS* what a ~hot take~ amirite"

no...climate change is now. the old model of living wherever we want and then expecting to rebuild if things get torn down is not sustainable

there are people in houston that have had their homes flooded multiple times. they rebuild because insurance covers it

maybe we should start thinking about moving people away from areas that get demolished frequently. that applies to white people living in coasts to puerto ricans living on small island

• Locked thread