Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

i'm not saying it's "correct", but you can rewatch the OT (especially IV) with the reading that Obi is blatantly manipulative. He sells Luke a very romantic backstory re: his father/Clone Wars/the Jedi/the lightsaber, and even when he's telling Luke it's too dangerous to run back home it can almost seem a little stilted, as if he wants Luke to go back, see skeletons, and get galvanized. Obi doesn't take the fall to Vader unti he's sure that Luke is watching. He becomes more powerful than Vader can possibly imagine in death because now Luke has lost everyone he knows to Vader/the Empire.

That's why it's fun to see Luke call him out on Dagobah in ROTJ. Obi literally appears as a ghost, sits on a log, and starts POUTING. It's awesome. I'm not saying it's consistent or intended but I love the kooky trickster element on OT Kenobi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Also to assassinate the Emperor and his abominable minion.

Yes, that's what he said.

Obi-Wan posted:

You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them. You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

i'm not saying it's "correct", but you can rewatch the OT (especially IV) with the reading that Obi is blatantly manipulative. He sells Luke a very romantic backstory re: his father/Clone Wars/the Jedi/the lightsaber, and even when he's telling Luke it's too dangerous to run back home it can almost seem a little stilted, as if he wants Luke to go back, see skeletons, and get galvanized. Obi doesn't take the fall to Vader unti he's sure that Luke is watching. He becomes more powerful than Vader can possibly imagine in death because now Luke has lost everyone he knows to Vader/the Empire.

That's why it's fun to see Luke call him out on Dagobah in ROTJ. Obi literally appears as a ghost, sits on a log, and starts POUTING. It's awesome. I'm not saying it's consistent or intended but I love the kooky trickster element on OT Kenobi

Still a great video about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

dublish posted:

Yes, that's what he said.
The one thing I did like about the Prequels is the whole monkey's paw thing of 'he will bring balance to the force' turning out to mean that he will wipe out the Jedi and make it so that there are only 2 Jedi and 2 Sith remaining.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one thing I did like about the Prequels is the whole monkey's paw thing of 'he will bring balance to the force' turning out to mean that he will wipe out the Jedi and make it so that there are only 2 Jedi and 2 Sith remaining.

That's not what that meant.

Serf
May 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

And then in the end both sides were destroyed entirely. Until Disney came along I guess.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

And then in the end both sides were destroyed entirely. Until Disney came along I guess.

Luke is a Jedi.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

sassassin posted:

Luke is a Jedi.

The last one, even.

Serf
May 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

Luke is a Jedi.

He certainly does say so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Serf posted:

He certainly does say so.

Return of the Self-proclaimed Jedi.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yoda says that he's the last Jedi. But even Yoda doesn't expect Vader to turn. Return of the Jedi is plural

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He also stipulates he is a Jedi in the same way his father was which hooooo boy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Jedi understood the prophecy correctly: bringing balance to the Force did take the form of killing all the Force users who embraced the Dark Side. They foolishly didn't realize that they would not be exempt.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I never really liked the prophecy angle in the prequels (it also barely comes up after Phantom except at the very end IIRC). It feels like kind of a plot device to get everyone hyped up but why not just have babby Anakin blow up a Hutt with his mind or something.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

I never really liked the prophecy angle in the prequels (it also barely comes up after Phantom except at the very end IIRC). It feels like kind of a plot device to get everyone hyped up but why not just have babby Anakin blow up a Hutt with his mind or something.

How would he then turn to the dark side of the force later on? You've lost your main character's whole arc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Blowing up Hutts is awesome.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
There are clips of the prequels on Youtube in 60fps that illustrate how fake these films look, particularly scenes involving visual effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAu-1H-otA

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Everything looks lovely at high fps, not just special effects.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yes, try using True Motion or whatever it's called when a movie is shown on TV.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

"Around the survivors a perimeter create" is still such a cringeworthy line, good god.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I really like the bit where we see the rockets in the gunship rotated into firing position. It's a neat touch that punctuates the scene and says now we're shifting to war.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

viral spiral posted:

There are clips of the prequels on Youtube in 60fps that illustrate how fake these films look, particularly scenes involving visual effects:

I can't unsee all the vaginas, you ought to NWS that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

porfiria posted:

I think the Jedi wasting their time talking about ancient prophecies and stuff fits with the overall theme that they are completely blind to what's right in front of them. The prophecy doesn't matter at all, except insofar as they make it matter.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think it's also interesting that a child appears who conforms to their prophecies and yet they almost abandon him because of how doctrinaire they are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah as much as I hate the prequels the Jedi being too aloof and elitist to see all of the things they're talking about maybe possibly happening via the force literally already happening right in front of them is pretty obvious.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Looks like details are coming out on the Obi-wan desert exile spinoff..

Star Wars Leaks Reddit posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE PHANTOM MENACE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, OBI-WAN KENOBI. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN LIGHTSABER SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME BATTLE DROIDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THAT SITH LORDS ARE THEIR SPECIALITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERDAY TO PEOPLE IN THE MOS EISLEY CANTINA AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE MOS EISLEY IS A HIVE OF SCUM AND VILLAINY. AND IVE RELEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY HUT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS AND 16 MINUTES INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i think it owns that they shot some super high budget movies with those digital cameras before they could figure out how to make them high dynamic range so all the highlights look hideous, yeah its ugly but its like, cool kitsch you know?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i havent seen once upon a time in mexico since i was in high school and i dont remember anything about it other than it was shot with those cameras, i wonder if that also has that cool look to it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zas posted:

i think it owns that they shot some super high budget movies with those digital cameras before they could figure out how to make them high dynamic range so all the highlights look hideous, yeah its ugly but its like, cool kitsch you know?

Honestly, if nobody takes the risks of using new technology, the best way to use it will never be discovered.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

viral spiral posted:

"this clip which has been post-processed so that half the frames are interpolated looks fake, reflecting badly on the film in question"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
This tangent about frame rates reminds me: I would genuinely like people to work with 48+ FPS again, since rapid camera movement in the kinds of really intense action scenes we can make these days hurts my brain. I don't know who might give that another go, though.

I also despise film buffs who think 24 FPS is somehow sacred or more real or more "filmic."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oh yeah, the Hobbits looked great. I think the real sticking point is the lack of a home release format for 48+ fps more than anything, which means that once it's out of the cinema watching the movie is a degraded experience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="“Mechafunkzilla”" post="“476909346”"]
Everything looks lovely at high fps, not just special effects.
[/quote]
The bigger problem was that everything was filmed on green screen. CGI is never going to age as well as practical effects.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The bigger problem was that everything was filmed on green screen. CGI is never going to age as well as practical effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Each of the prequels used more practical effects than the entire original trilogy combined. In particular, the number of miniatures involved in the battle on Geonosis was enormous.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Each of the prequels used more practical effects than the entire original trilogy combined. In particular, the number of miniatures involved in the battle on Geonosis was enormous.
Yeah I think the BoG will stand out as one of Star Wars' greatest battles. Its got it all. Action, adventure and a killer cast.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That scene owns. Not seeing a problem here

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This might have been posted before, but I was looking around to see where the Scarif parts of Rogue One were filmed, and :lol::

quote:

At the 2017 South by Southwest film festival, Edwards revealed that the planet's name, Scarif, came from a misspelling of his name on a coffee cup, telling the audience "I must have said, 'It's Gareth,' and they wrote 'Scarif.'"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

Ummm revenge of the Sith uses green screen on every scene except for the end in Tunisia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

This might have been posted before, but I was looking around to see where the Scarif parts of Rogue One were filmed, and :lol::

Star Wars planet name etymology is the best :allears:

• Locked thread